Set Up Events
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 53s
Overall Rank = 302/357
Age Group = Master Novice
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

302 of 357 males. I didn't do anything really. After registering, I staged my gear and got everything ready. Went back to the truck twice; once for my pump to check tire pressure and once to retrieve 2 X bottles of water to wash my feet off after the swim since they had recently cut the grass and it was wet.
Event warmup:

Running back and forth to the truck!
Swim
  • 20m 33s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

320 of 357. The shoulder acted up on me a bit, but I swapped up my technique and used butterfly, breast stroke, and a combination of freestyle.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to work my free style in the pool. I am sure that I will be able to lower my swim time from 2m45s down to at least 2m20s and my speed increase that I noticed over the past three swim sessions will eventually permit me to swim freestyle for longer periods without having to change technique. All in all, not bad for my first swimming event in nearly two years.
Transition 1
  • 04m 14s
Comments:

Ranked 5th in group and 310 of 357 males.

Alright... In a word... SUCKED! My time is a result of ensuring that I had dry feet. I ran from the swim exit to T1 and I was at the rear of the entire TA! I plopped down on my behind and took two water bottles to rinse the grass off of my feet, dried them off, and then put on my socks and shoes. I also hesitated about putting on my running number and decided against it. Trotted to the far end of the TA where the bike exit/entrance was located.

I need to practice my T1 activities IOT reduce my time and use my time more expeditiously. I also need to try putting my bike shoes onto the peddles and mounting that way, in an effort to shave seconds. Although I was not competing with anyone other than myself, I feel that I definitely could do better.

My goal is to get below 3m, then 2m.
Bike
  • 56m 55s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

231 of 357.

I flew through the field after mounting the bike. I easily passed 30 riders. The hills were not as daunting as Pinehurst and I stayed seated on every hill, but used my small chain ring and cassette gear. There were some fantastic opportunities to really crank it out and I reached a best speed of 46mph!! Overall, very good bike leg. I only drank my front Profile Design bottle on the course although I also had my NeverReach on the rear. Because it was a short course, I didn't have any food intake or jells.

I pushed hard on the hills and maintained a high cadence.

Work on standing hill attacks and work on a flying mount and dismount.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Ranked 298 of 357 . I feel like I did a pretty fair job running in from the bike exit into the TA. The ground was pretty soggy by the time I came in and I had to sidestep a few big mud spots.

Like T1, I need to practice my Transition drills, something I haven't done before. I would like to knock a minute off of my time, but my first goal will be to get below 2m.
Run
  • 32m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

336 of 357.

In a word, YUCK!! I really felt drained on the run and it was likely due to my burning up the bike course. I managed to keep moving but my speed was far below what it should have been at 10m46s per mi. Not pleased with that performance. I could have been faster but I decided to err on the side of smartness and I walked the water points.

I need to gauge my bike and do many more bike run bricks and I will begin incorporating those into my training plan starting next week.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, and ice in the hat! I laid out in the bed of the truck and drank some water which felt really nice!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training intensity, or lack thereof, and my shoulder during the swim.

Event comments:

They ran out of water but there were plenty of sugar drinks like Coke, Sprite,etc.at the end of the race. Lots of snack foods pre and post. They called each individual's name and where they were from as they completed the run. I liked that! Large number of volunteers and police involvement. It was a very controlled and safe event. Looking forward to going back next year and setting a new PR.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:33 | 750 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 320/357
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: The course was a box shape and easy to navigate. The water had a slight current that I really noticed on the second turn buoy. I actually had to purposefully pull to make the turn. I used my freestyle for a bit more than half of the first leg. I got aggravated because I was bumping the feet of slower swimmers (Imagine!!), and when I slowed I reverted to the breast stroke and only went back to freestyle a few short times. I also swam on my back and side for a few seconds each. The course was easily sighted and there were no issues with safety personnel. Setup was very thought out..
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 90F / 32C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:14
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:55 | 17.5 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 231/357
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course has sporadic rolling hills and a good amount of flat spots. There were a few hills that had very extended inclines but the degree of elevation change was not drastic for a total of 626ft increase and a drop of 613ft overall. The course was on primary and secondary roads. Pavement was very good and smooth with only one or two small areas. Very nice course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:59 | 03.11 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 336/357
Performance: Below average
Course: The run course came out of the TA and stayed on the road for about 200 meters then it cut left into a gravel parking lot, after which it became an old truck trail with patchy gravel spots. It apparently hadn't been used in a while since there were spots that were on the verge of being overgrown, not tall grass, just that the trail was being grown over. There were a few hills that lingered on for a little but they were bearable. The temperature jumped drastically from the morning swim and I got the bike kept me cool enough not to notice. Water points were plentiful and they had cold water which felt great on the head!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5.0%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-18 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
WICHITA FALLS, Texas
Subject: Triangle Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triangle Triathlon - North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9

Started by brstewa2
Views: 1807 Posts: 5

2007-07-13 6:31 AM ifocus

North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon

Started by fgump
Views: 1351 Posts: 1

2006-07-12 12:18 PM fgump

Started by WakeMan
Views: 1659 Posts: 3

2006-07-11 2:37 PM jkbostic

Started by mandy7741
Views: 2030 Posts: 6

2006-07-12 6:40 AM drdi

Started by NickInNC
Views: 1610 Posts: 3

2006-07-11 1:54 PM mandy7741
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack

date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing
date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011

date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.