General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Penn Yan, New York
United States
Steve, Chris and Joe
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ken and I headed down early to drop off bikes and reg. uneventful. Found out they only had 27 in the full. Lots in the half. It will be a nice little race and we'll get to know each other well.
Up at 4:30 and had a little oatmeal and kissed Y and headed out..
Special needs bag was confusing as we got one bag and didn't know exactly how it was gonna work as we skipped the pre race meeting. Repacked in the morning. Y and her mom (Shirley) got to the race site about 6:40. got set up and headed for the water.
Event warmup:

Got in and splashed around a bit and took a pee. Got out and stood with Y, MIL and ken Had to drain my wetsuit legs. Shirley made a comment that she hoped it was only water. I let her know it was more than water.
Swim
  • 1h 07m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim! I didn't hear the start well and just went when the rest did. Moved out front on the left side and soon it was just him and I. We stayed close till rounding the first stretch home. He gained a little but I was keeping him close. From Y said it was pretty good race around the buoys near shore. We then ran into the mass of half'er going out 30 minutes after us. I lost him in the yellow caps. Half way I was passing a petite female with an orange cap on. Where did you come from? I was passing her fairly easily. Come to find out she cut the last set of buoys near the shore and turned at the ones before and was not turned by the kayakers. Would have added 4-5 minutes onto her swim and she was the overall winner. Y and Shirley saw it and reported to the RD but it was hard for anything to be done. I don't think it would have changed the results as she was ahead a ways. I passed her so I was second and happy about that.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe push her under if I had known she cut. Know your course.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Did well. Out of suit well. Sunscreen on. Changed into cycling bibs and jersey fairly easily. Got out and got moving.
Bike
  • 7h 53m
  • 116 miles
  • 14.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm dragging around to much weight.
getting out to the main road felt good then the is a hill to start. I hate the hill more than any other on the course. Its into the wind today and sucked the first time and really sucked the fourth time. Four laps get old the fourth time.
5 miles out I hit a good size piece of gravel and hear the sis of a flat. Snake bit. The change goes well and I back at it. i know Y is at one of the bike stops. She said she was a little worried when I hadn't to the first stop yet. Over a hill and down a nice long hill with a good run out. Sucked because it was at the bottom of the hill and you didn't get the run.
You had to make sure you road with your head up as this is Mennonite country so there is horse shit all over the place. Y said the horses were bothered by the rest stop tent or the girls in pink running it because they would move out and were weary of it.
Made the first lap almost without getting passed by Ken. The last rest stop a mile from the start was special needs. I stopped and was got my bag. Oops bag and no tube in it or beef jerky. My fault I got the labels mixed up. Oops there goes Ken. Head down and fast. He was looking good.
Y kept me up to his progress as I was not going to be happy f he lapped me, plus had a bet with Mike on whether he lapped me or not for a steak dinner.
The wind is getting old and the climbs are a little harder each time. Finally the final lap. Kinda lonely out there with only 26 of spread out 29 miles after the halfer get done.
Make it in a Y is there to greet me in transition. Right knee is talking to me for the last lap and half. Its about 5 oclock. Its gonna be a long one. .
What would you do differently?:

Lose weight.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Little porta potty to see if I can pee since its been before the swim since I last went. Change to run shorts and shirt and get called to get running so then can announce me going out.
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.4 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I run until I'm out of sight. Then walk. Pass ken coming in and he catches up. Ask if this is first of second. He says only one down. GI issues. We walk/run the next 5 miles. Knee is talking a stiff when I stand at the rest stop to long. First lap is OK figure well I'll at least a half. Little excitement from the crowd and I do run a little Ken is running a little better than i and moved an ahead. The knee is unhappy and not getting better.
Y greet me coming in to the turn around and tell that is it. I'm not going to push it any more and throwing it in. I have 4 hours left to walk a half. Gonna be close but why. The idea is to run it. I have done a full and a marathon. Got nothing to prove to myself except how much damage can I do to my knee.
Come into the turn around and pull my chip and turn it in. Y is sad for me. I'm OK with it. I do get a aqua bike finishing metal. Same metal just a different band. We wait for Ken to come in and get some picture and load up and head home.
Post race
Event comments:

This was the first year and it was GREAT! You tell the race director is a 20x ironman and he had everything that was needed. Well thought out and Score-this was great as usually. Y is volunteering next year so I guess I need revenge.

Last updated: 2012-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 2/
Performance:
Suit: Full sleeve.
Course: Rectangle 2x's
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:53:00 | 116 miles | 14.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 25/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.4 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

2013-08-19 7:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

No words.  You did the right thing and live to race another day when your knee is less cranky.

Fantastic swim!
Snake bite on the bike stinks......and the knee killing the run  not fun. 

Good work!

Edited by QueenZipp 2013-08-19 7:41 PM
2013-08-20 6:21 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I know that it wasn't easy to pull the plug on your race after how hard that you had trained for it.  I thought about it myself with the GI issues, but was too stubborn.  In the end though, you need that knee for a few more years so it was the best decision.  You will have other chances at this or whatever distance you decide to do.

The swim was impressive, you had a great swim as most of the group was closer to me than to you!  Too bad about the bike, I was surprised to see you as I knew you had a pretty good head start.  Other than the flat though you still had a great bike!

Great job out there Dud!

2013-08-20 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4833646

User image

Master
Bronze member
Tough to stop but necessary if you want to be doing this sort of stuff until you are ninety!... Amazing swim!! Bike sounds tough too..good that you were able to think clearly enough to make the decision to come back another day...revenge indeed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Peasantman™ Steel Distance Triathlons

Started by kenj
Views: 2442 Posts: 7

2013-08-22 10:12 AM acv

High Cloud Peasantman Sprint Tri

Started by tdprange
Views: 889 Posts: 1

2013-06-03 2:08 PM tdprange

High Cloud Peasantman Sprint Tri

Started by pareilly2000
Views: 797 Posts: 1

2013-05-06 9:03 AM pareilly2000

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by Tkimble01
Views: 1372 Posts: 1

2010-06-28 3:07 PM Tkimble01

Davis Family YMCA/Steel Valley Triathlon Club Sprint Distance Triathlon

Started by fcrellin791
Views: 1291 Posts: 1

2009-05-17 1:37 PM fcrellin791
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.