General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone done the Soma Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-20 7:29 AM

User image

Subject: Has anyone done the Soma Tri?
I have had such a fun summer that I'm sad to see it coming to an end. I am looking for one more tri adventure in 2013 to take advantage of being the fittest I have been since high school. Heck, I could probably kick my high school self's butt right now

Has anyone ever done the Soma Tri in Tempe? My wife and I still have some vacation time left this year and we were thinking about making a road trip of it. Maybe hit Moab on the way and extend the summer by a few weeks. Any other ideas for fun non-tri things to do while we are in Phoenix?

Edited by dr100 2013-08-20 7:30 AM

2013-08-31 1:20 PM
in reply to: dr100

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Has anyone done the Soma Tri?
I did this race (years ago!). It's a lot of fun to hang out in Tempe - great restaurants!
When we drove home, Raton pass was closed for snow and we had to stay in Las Vegas, NM for a night.
You could also hit 4 corners and Durango (maybe do the Durango Silverton Railroad?).
2013-08-31 3:11 PM
in reply to: COgirl

User image

Thank you for your suggestions. We are in for the relay. I'm doing the swim and bike. My wife will be doing the run. Four corners sounds great on the way home. We haven't seen mesa verde, so that's on the list. I'll have to check out the train idea. Someone also told me I HAVE to get pizza at the Organ Stop. It's supposed to be a super show. I am up for any other suggestions.
2013-08-31 11:10 PM
in reply to: dr100

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Mesa Verde is a great idea. Also consider heading home by way of Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park...pretty cool.

So from Tempe, and heading towards 4 corners, you go through the Painted Desert....which is pretty at sunrise and sunset. It's rather desolate in that whole area, so make sure you have plenty of gas! I also remember that the 4 corners monument has particular hours, which we missed, but we hopped the fence anyway.

One last thought is to head to Crested Butte. The timing might be wrong as far as aspen leaves and fall colors, but from CB over Kebler Pass (which heads north on the way towards Glenwood Springs) is really pretty - miles and miles of aspens.

Good luck in the race! The bike is pretty flat, so constant pedaling. The run is also flat and follows the Salt River (I think that's what it is called?) - all pavement. That is unless they have changed things
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone done the Soma Tri? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri fro Me, Anyone doing this?

Started by Tri4Levi
Views: 1038 Posts: 8

2008-04-26 8:09 PM lyric4christ

Has anyone done the sunrise century?

Started by TL2
Views: 598 Posts: 2

2007-06-24 10:20 PM COgirl

Anyone doing the cherry creek sneak?

Started by lil_turtle
Views: 723 Posts: 5

2007-04-26 11:04 AM luv2ride

Anyone doing the Winter Distance Series? Pages: 1 2

Started by COgirl
Views: 1905 Posts: 28

2007-01-20 8:15 PM COgirl

Anyone doing/did The Great Colorado Triathlon?

Started by bigslowguy
Views: 574 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 1:48 PM bigslowguy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.