General Discussion Race Reports! » Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
USA Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 20s
Overall Rank = 659/2677
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 81/197
Pre-race routine:

Traveled to Milwaukee on Thursday and three other STC members came too: Joel, Shirley, and Diane. Race day up at 4:00 AM. Oatmeal, yogurt, banana, coffee, and some gatorade. Transition opened at 5:30 and we were all wanting to get going. Got to transition right close to 5:30. USAT did the clear transition bag an bag check routine for this event. Made things a little complicated, but we managed to get through everything for equipment and gear just fine.
Event warmup:

The race officials said each age group would get about 8 minutes in the water for warmup. That did not happen. I did jog a little and stretch some, but my swim wave did not start until over 90 minutes after transition closed.
Swim
  • 23m 44s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was a fiasco from the start. The RD had it set up to where there was a group in the water getting ready to start. Then the next wave in the water warming up. Then another wave waiting by the entrance to the dock. The swim was delayed 15 minutes. Not sure why. Our age group was standing around for quite a while. Met a guy from Austin and another from Long Beach who were both cool. As it was time for us to walk down the ramp my goggle strap broke!!! UGH. FCK! UGH. I started laughing because it was so ridiculous for this to happen as we are walking down to the swim start. Then I hear the announcer say, Hurry up guys, your race starts in 30 seconds!!! WTF?? 30 seconds??? Where's our swim practice. Needless to say, we did not get any swim practice in. So I'm running down the ramp to the dock, tying by broken goggle strap as all the guys are lining up for the swim. When I get to the dock the gun goes off. Everyone takes off, I finish fixing my goggles and jump in the water and start swimming. Back of the pack in this race was not what I wanted at all. It was a mess. I only got clear water after the bridge. Kicked, punched, blocked, etc. I know I sound like a whiney bitch, but I did not enjoy this swim at all.

Once the herd started to thin out a bit I was able to open up my form and swim. If my total time was 23 minutes, I bet my second half of the race was only ten minutes. Really felt smooth after the major turn around. It was a mess though.
What would you do differently?:

Where to start? Goggles breaking was unavoidable and I had no idea that was coming. I know for sure that the next major race like this that I do, I'm going to make damn sure that I'm at least starting at the front of the group for the swim. I would rather have guys try to swim over me then get stuck behind a group.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit to T1. I passed several guys on the path. When I was taking my wetsuit off it got a little stuck on my heels, but not bad. The strange thing is my left calf cramped up as I was taking the suit off. The cramp got really aggressive as I was jogging with my bike.

Continue to improve my wetsuit removal. Figure out the cramp issue....
Bike
  • 1h 01m 39s
  • 40 kms
  • 39.33 km/hr
Comments:

I had a blast on the bike. I was hoping for a 24+ Mph bike and I pulled it off!!! Hitting 1:01 was awesome and all I can say is that a sub 1 hours is possible. The cramp in my calf that I got in T1 was a problem the entire bike. I stopped pedaling several times to stretch out my leg on the bike. Frustrating because I would either have to do it on a down hill and give up the push fast down the hill, or stretch on a flat and lose momentum. Overall though, this was a strong bike. Very crowded at times and I was in chaos with the same 2 or 3 guys back and forth passing each other over and over again. No one was drafting but we were all pushing each other very nicely.

I think I got passed maybe 3 or 4 times on the bike and it was only by full disc wheels in the back and deep 808s in the front. Maybe I need to have them too?!?!?!

Work out the calf cramp and HTFU.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Socks on. Shoes on. Grabbed race belt. Took off. Socks cost me 10 seconds at least. Maybe time to start looking at sockless.....

HTFU. It was a good transition though. Not much for me to complain about.
Run
  • 48m 26s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 53s  min/km
Comments:

Oh the run. The FCKING run!!! Calf cramp was hanging around. It would twinge, but did not really slow me down that much. I was okay(ish). Probably cooked myself on the bike more than I should but what the hell, its AG Nationals!!!
I was not happy with my run at all but I dealt with it. Truly ran out of energy. I did pass alot of people but felt like I was standing still when some passed me. I really need to be a stronger runner. Sub 2:10 was out the door after the swim, but sub 2:15 was easily in my reach if I would have just pushed harder.

Plenty of water stations that were very well staffed. No complaints there.

Run faster, Harder, and better. Stride out more. Keep my head thinking positive thoughts. HTFU!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around forever looking for the rest of my group. We did not discuss a rally point so we were kind of screwed until we bumped into each other. Stretched out. Ate the post race meal. Watched Diane and shirley cross the finish line and eventually got my bike out of transition to head back to the house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the swim mind fucked me. I was sooooo pissed off at the start that I just didn't get a good stroke going until the leaders were probably out of the water. The cramp in my calf has been beat to death in this race report, but it did contribute to my suckiness.

Milwaukee delivered a great race atmosphere and I was happy to be there.

Event comments:

Awesome race and I'm hoping to get there in 2014. If I can work out GSB and AG Nationals to happen during the same period of time again, I will be all over this race. Really excited about Hy Vee now!

Last updated: 2013-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:44 | 1500 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/197
Overall: 594/2677
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vecter Pro
Course: Semi rectangular in shape. Out to some turnaround markers and back to an exit ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:39 | 40 kms | 39.33 km/hr
Overall: 309/2677
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: One loop. Mostly main roads in Milwaukee. Road on the Hoan Bridge which was pretty cool. Very rough parts of the road but mostly fine.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:26 | 10 kms | 04m 53s  min/km
Overall: 1470/2677
Performance: Below average
Course: All on running paths along the lake and along the bike route. Flat as a board for the majority of the run. Just a couple little rollers that were nothing to speak of.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-25 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by Ershk
Views: 1918 Posts: 7

2013-09-16 8:02 AM sbrdave

USAT Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by switch
Views: 3908 Posts: 25

2014-03-28 2:54 AM midwesttrimom

Age Group National Championship - Olympic Distance

Started by velocomp
Views: 1601 Posts: 4

2013-08-16 8:12 AM nickster

Started by jkossman
Views: 1523 Posts: 4

2013-08-16 8:18 AM nickster

Started by nickster
Views: 1801 Posts: 6

2013-08-15 2:12 PM blueyedbikergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.