General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-11 1:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: RE: BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by swishyskirt

The countdown to lucky Friday the 13th continues for me. I am NOT good at being patient.

Or rather, at THIS point, with a BQ that took three years to get because of sidelining injuries, I am not good at being patient.

Anyone else, or am I in this psychosis all by my lonesome?

I know plenty of people in that boat. Actually, I know a few in the BQ by a minute boat. That's a tough one. 

I think about those by-a-minuters often, mostly because I realize more than a few are significantly faster than I could ever be.

The solution here, of course, it they just need to make sure the Boston Marathon ship is big enough for ALL of us fools!

Actually, that is something I kind of wonder about ...

Obviously there will always be a limit on how many people can enter a race, particularly Boston.

But for all of the people that BQ but have to fret over whether or not you will get in, would you prefer having a tougher BQ standard with a guaranteed entry? 

Oh, it's tough enough as it is, thank you very much! I just meant it should be big enough for all the people who qualify. That's what stinks about it...you can run your butt off and get a BQ, but then there's all this second-guessing about whether it was enough of a cushion to get in. 

ETA: And yes, it can only be SO big. And I'm a jerk for implying they should expand the qualifier number at the very least equally to the charity spots. How many people got shut out last year? I remember reading that if you were 1:14 under BQ time, you got in. Not sure how many people that left out in the cold, but surely they could expand it to include a couple thousand more.

Edited by swishyskirt 2013-09-11 1:29 PM

2013-09-11 1:27 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Just got my confirm - looks like I'm in. This is going to be a truly special experience I think.
2013-09-11 1:28 PM
in reply to: swishyskirt

User image

Seattle

The countdown to lucky Friday the 13th continues for me. I am NOT good at being patient.

Or rather, at THIS point, with a BQ that took three years to get because of sidelining injuries, I am not good at being patient.

I know plenty of people in that boat. Actually, I know a few in the BQ by a minute boat. That's a tough one. 

I think about those by-a-minuters often, mostly because I realize more than a few are significantly faster than I could ever be.

The solution here, of course, it they just need to make sure the Boston Marathon ship is big enough for ALL of us fools!

Obviously there will always be a limit on how many people can enter a race, particularly Boston.

But for all of the people that BQ but have to fret over whether or not you will get in, would you prefer having a tougher BQ standard with a guaranteed entry? 

Oh, it's tough enough as it is, thank you very much! I just meant it should be big enough for all the people who qualify. That's what stinks about it...you can run your butt off and get a BQ, but then there's all this second-guessing about whether it was enough of a cushion to get in. 

Oh yeah, I totally understand that.

But you think BQing but not being able to run would be much better than a cut and dry BQ/ability to race?

I'm don't have an opinion or have negative feeling either way. I am just curious. 

2013-09-11 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
New York

Oh yeah, I totally understand that.

But you think BQing but not being able to run would be much better than a cut and dry BQ/ability to race?

I'm don't have an opinion or have negative feeling either way. I am just curious. 

Tough call. I mean, the only reason I'm fretting is because I have a CHANCE to get in. If a guaranteed ability to race meant I'd have to land a 3:20 marathon, then I probably wouldn't even try. So...this way is better (for me anyway -- I guess it depends on how much tougher the standards would be). But I'm not sure what it would mean to others. I like to think the system is relatively democratic. Though more fraught with agita.

2013-09-11 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm ok with the current system.  When you qualify you qualify for the right to attempt entry into the race, not for the right to race.  If your time doesn't get you in then go try and better that time next year.  Now remember I'm saying this as someone that's sitting on a 3 minute cushion and am in the same boat as you.  However, if that time doesn't make it I have no qualms with trying again next year and targeting a 10 minute + qualifying effort.  

My reality is I most likely had a 5+ minute effort in me but chose to throttle back to help a good friend push on, not give up and realize his dream to meet a qualifying standard as well.  If that cost me a few minutes and overall a chance to run this year then so be it, I still nailed my standard (something a LOT of people never realize) and more importantly I got to help a friend nail theirs as well.  

2013-09-11 9:58 PM
in reply to: #4842191

User image

At least now people know the situation when they run their qualifying race. Back in 2012 registration I knew people who thought they had guaranteed qualifying times when they ran their races, but then the BAA changed the rules.

I'm good with the system the way it is. It's fair and the fastest people get to run. My best friend could get shut out this year because he's only -1:05, but he's getting faster and ages up nect year. People just keep getting faster. I'm still minutes away but I won't give up.

2013-09-12 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Did not BQ (have never run a marathon - in fact have stated on this site I never would) but I am officially in:

Congratulations!!! You’ve been accepted to the 2014 Run for Research team as a charity runner (for the Liver Foundation)

I am hoping to BQ in my debut (not sure I can but will go down trying) I think this is a one and done - but I cannot let the terrorists win.
2013-09-12 9:52 AM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Expert
New York

Yeah, I'm fine with the current system...in theory. In practice, it's just making me a bit crazy.

BigB, I like your attitude and that's pretty sweet helping a friend get their BQ. I hope we all get in. I register tomorrow morning, if there are still spots left. Race is half full. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/boston-marathon-field-almost-half-full

2013-09-12 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I think you will be ok.  I on the other hand probably will not be able to squeak in.  Oh well, I've got tons more speed in these legs, I'll go get it as a 10+ priority next year.  Besides, my back up plan of heading to San Juan still doesn't sound too terrible of a trip

Edited by thebigb 2013-09-12 11:10 AM
2013-09-12 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Hoping to run it to raise money for Franciscan Children's hospital where my son recovered after a TBI. Unfortunately Franciscan isn't one of the recognized charities (there is a waiting list of more than 50 worthy organizations) so I am looking for a bib that will allow me to donate all the money raised to Franciscan.

If anyone has a lead for a bib - please let me know.

Thanks,
DQ

Edited by Qua17 2013-09-12 11:25 AM
2013-09-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Originally posted by Qua17

Hoping to run it to raise money for Franciscan Children's hospital where my son recovered after a TBI. Unfortunately Franciscan isn't one of the recognized charities (there is a waiting list of more than 50 worthy organizations) so I am looking for a bib that will allow me to donate all the money raised to Franciscan.

If anyone has a lead for a bib - please let me know.

Thanks,
DQ

I would pick one of the charities with bibs: http://www.baa.org/utilities/charities.aspx

2013-09-12 1:33 PM
in reply to: TriToy

User image

The latest news on sign up is the field is almost half full after day 3 of sign ups. I think it will go into the second week but I do not think all BQ's will get in. I am guessing somewhere around BQ-2 will get you in. I hope I am wrong and all BQ's get in and that it will open up the following week until it fills but I really do not think that will happen.
2013-09-12 1:58 PM

User image

Yeah, I'm fine with the current system...in theory. In practice, it's just making me a bit crazy.

BigB, I like your attitude and that's pretty sweet helping a friend get their BQ. I hope we all get in. I register tomorrow morning, if there are still spots left. Race is half full. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/boston-marathon-field-almost-half-full

No chance its going to fill up in the first week.
2013-09-16 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Well it at least made it to Monday registration for all that made a qualifying effort.  Word on the street is around 5k spots left.  My entry is in and my fingers are crossed.  Hoping for good news come the weekend.
2013-09-25 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

For those on the bubble, how did you fare?  

I squeaked in by roughly 30 seconds

2013-09-25 2:42 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by thebigb

SWEEEEET!!!!!!

I am so happy to hear that! I hope you are pumped to go. I know you were a little on the fence.

2013-09-25 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

SWEEEEET!!!!!!

I am so happy to hear that! I hope you are pumped to go. I know you were a little on the fence.

So much more pumped than I thought I would be.  Man, I'm glad I had that 6:30 final mile when I brought it home!  

2013-09-25 3:41 PM

User image

Seattle

SWEEEEET!!!!!!

So much more pumped than I thought I would be.  Man, I'm glad I had that 6:30 final mile when I brought it home!  

yeeeeesh no kidding!

Looks like the cutoff was 1:28 under http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/2014-boston-marathon-cut-off-is-138-under-qualifying-mark

2013-09-25 3:54 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Bummer. I'm hoping to hit a BQ time next month. I would have been surprised if it had still been open, but was still hoping.
2013-09-25 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

SWEEEEET!!!!!!

yeeeeesh no kidding!

Looks like the cutoff was 1:28 under http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/2014-boston-marathon-cut-off-is-138-under-qualifying-mark

23 seconds to spare  I remember coming through the chute and the announcer telling people to "slow down, slow down"...yeah right buddy.  Time for a Boston sub 3:00

Edited by thebigb 2013-09-25 4:40 PM
2013-09-25 6:12 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Nice work!

I BQ'ed at 3:03:06...16 whole seconds to spare!

I was shooting for a sub-3, but when that slipped away, I was just keeping my eye on the 3:05. Out of no where at mile 24, an older guy (64) passed me and started to gap. Well, that cannot stand, so I caught him back and finished ahead of him. Turns out, he did not make the M18-34 qualifying time by 2 seconds. If he would not have been there, I would likely have not had that incentive and would not be going to Boston this spring.

2013-09-25 6:33 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by dfroelich Nice work! I BQ'ed at 3:03:06...16 whole seconds to spare! I was shooting for a sub-3, but when that slipped away, I was just keeping my eye on the 3:05. Out of no where at mile 24, an older guy (64) passed me and started to gap. Well, that cannot stand, so I caught him back and finished ahead of him. Turns out, he did not make the M18-34 qualifying time by 2 seconds. If he would not have been there, I would likely have not had that incentive and would not be going to Boston this spring.

Awesome, congrats!  May we both go Sub 3 in April

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hal's thoughts on Boston 2014

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 737 Posts: 3

2013-04-23 4:23 PM Asalzwed

Getting past the registration flood for Boston 2014

Started by Axis of Weasel
Views: 1340 Posts: 5

2013-04-22 10:56 AM RedCorvette

Help on BQ-ing in 2014 with triathlon

Started by Acee
Views: 2240 Posts: 7

2013-05-20 2:21 AM AdventureBear

If you run and die in Boston it is not on the BAA Pages: 1 2

Started by BigDH
Views: 3546 Posts: 46

2012-04-16 7:56 PM Maine Rob

Boston Marathon & Elite Field

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 798 Posts: 3

2012-01-13 4:19 PM colinphillips
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : September 24, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
I am running Boston in April and Ironman Lake Placid is in July. I have been told that it is ambitious to think about doing an IM so close to a marathon due to the recovery time. Any suggestions?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area