2013-09-06 11:31 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Credit Cards that offer flight miles

Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by jcnipper Another vote for the Chase southwest card here. We pay a yearly fee, but it's half of what a ticket costs. We easily get a free ticket every year, and this year may end up with 2 or 3. We pay it off every month, so no interest fees.
Yeah, but I don't want to fly Southwest. I don't mind them as an airline. I just can't afford to fly them! So I could only fly them on miles. Ha!
Odd. I find SW to be very close or actually less expensive than pretty much every other airline out there, other than Spirit, but I don't want to take a four-hour flight that leaves at 1am. Plus their service is way better than most. But, hey, if you hate paying less and getting better service, that's up to you. Besides, you shouldn't be using credit cards anyway -- they're bad for you.
Oddly, I'll go to Orbitz and price flights... then I go to SW to see if they beat what I see on Orbitz. SW is ALWAYS more expensive. And I refuse to fly Spirit after flying them last year. NEVER AGAIN.

Odd, I usually find it's the cheapest airline. I guess it's where you're flying. If American is cheaper for you, then go for that! If SW is close to other airlines, I'll always book them. I never have complaints flying with them.

I won't book flights on the discount sites, you aren't protected. If a flight is delayed/cancelled/etc, I'll get priority from SW by booking directly from them, AND by having the card. I've gotten screwed with no protection from the discount sites. But, that's another discussion.

2013-09-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by Comet

Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by KSH
Originally posted by jcnipper Another vote for the Chase southwest card here. We pay a yearly fee, but it's half of what a ticket costs. We easily get a free ticket every year, and this year may end up with 2 or 3. We pay it off every month, so no interest fees.
Yeah, but I don't want to fly Southwest. I don't mind them as an airline. I just can't afford to fly them! So I could only fly them on miles. Ha!
Odd. I find SW to be very close or actually less expensive than pretty much every other airline out there, other than Spirit, but I don't want to take a four-hour flight that leaves at 1am. Plus their service is way better than most. But, hey, if you hate paying less and getting better service, that's up to you. Besides, you shouldn't be using credit cards anyway -- they're bad for you.
Oddly, I'll go to Orbitz and price flights... then I go to SW to see if they beat what I see on Orbitz. SW is ALWAYS more expensive. And I refuse to fly Spirit after flying them last year. NEVER AGAIN.

Odd, I usually find it's the cheapest airline. I guess it's where you're flying. If American is cheaper for you, then go for that! If SW is close to other airlines, I'll always book them. I never have complaints flying with them.

I won't book flights on the discount sites, you aren't protected. If a flight is delayed/cancelled/etc, I'll get priority from SW by booking directly from them, AND by having the card. I've gotten screwed with no protection from the discount sites. But, that's another discussion.

Oh I got screwed last year booking my flight through Orbitz on Spirit. I didn't have the booking number (? or whatever they call it), so I couldn't pay for my luggage before the flight, online, so I got charged $75 at the airport for 1 bag, and paid that going and coming.

2013-09-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by
Oh I got screwed last year booking my flight through Orbitz on Spirit. I didn't have the booking number (? or whatever they call it), so I couldn't pay for my luggage before the flight, online, so I got charged $75 at the airport for 1 bag, and paid that going and coming.

Yeah, I try to avoid that at all costs. I even 'lost' a reservation with SW this summer, and it got straightened out even though I forgot to put my Rewards number  on the reservation.
Oh yeah, bag flies free on SW. I take that into account if another airline is within $20-40 per leg. If it's $50 more to fly southwest, than say, American, I'll still book the SW flight. Better customer service, don't have to 'pay' for the luggage at check-in.

Anyway, not trying to convince you to use SW, just that sometimes the loyalty can help you out. When I lived in Atlanta, I was a die-hard Delta flier. Best perks since it was a hub.

2013-09-06 12:49 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Southwest is usually cheapest for me, and we're near one of their hubs (BWI). Most of my flights are down to Nashville to see my folks, and there's several direct flights a day. Win Win!
2013-09-07 1:27 AM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by jcnipper Southwest is usually cheapest for me, and we're near one of their hubs (BWI). Most of my flights are down to Nashville to see my folks, and there's several direct flights a day. Win Win!

That is the key with SW....if you can fly "direct" the flight is cheap.  If you cannot fly direct it isn't any cheaper than other airlines.  AND, if you're like me...in order to fly on SW I would first have to drive 3 hours to the airport.  By the time I factor in gas both ways and more expensive parking I might as well have just flown out of Abilene on American.

So, yeah...that's my two cents on SW...great if you live near a hub and they fly directly where you want to go.  Not so great if you don't live near a hub and/or they don't fly direct to where you want to go.

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original topic of this thread. :D  But to bring it back around...yes, whatever mileage card you purchase you either need to stay loyal to a brand that you use a lot OR you need one that doesn't lock you into a certain airline...or gives you statement credit towards travel purchases.  The only downside of the latter option (at least from what I have seen) is that if it takes you awhile to build up points and you finally decide to cash them in you have to have travel purchases to apply them to within the last couple of months.  This was my big beef with the AMEX card I am about to close.  It takes them 2+ months to credit the points.  I knew I had a travel item I wanted to offset (to get more money than a plain old statement credit or cash) but I needed another 600 points to make the 7,500 point threshold.  So I made sure I used the card for something to reach that threshold.  By the time they credited the points my travel item was almost outside the window where you can redeem points against it.  Frustrating.  Their website SAYS will post to your points account after you make a min payment but that didn't happen so finally two statements later I called them up and complained and they did a special request to credit them immediately.  So, not all cards make it easy to redeem your points...

Bottom line...pick the card that seems to be the best pick for YOU...if it doesn't end up working out switch to something else!

2013-09-07 11:38 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

Flying SW -

It must depend on where you fly. American and SW fly from Seattle to Chicago, direct. The SW flights are USUALLY cheaper, but cost difference is minimal. But 2 free checked bags is REALLY nice and no fees to change flights is really nice! (I've done this more than once...) Checked bags will be huge now with the little one...no way can we just carry on with her!! (while she is this young..)

But back to subject at hand....

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Credit Cards that offer flight miles Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Credit card rewards miles--need creative idea

Started by big joe
Views: 629 Posts: 7

2009-04-27 1:27 PM merlin2375

If you have Department Store Credit Cards, or any Credit Cards... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by SweetK
Views: 3134 Posts: 72

2009-03-17 10:21 AM cardenas1

What is your credit card debt? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by eberulf
Views: 2831 Posts: 53

2008-11-24 10:09 PM latrina

Grrr....Credit Card Thieves Pages: 1 2

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1952 Posts: 35

2008-10-21 8:52 AM surfwallace

Using 'Wrong' Credit Card Pages: 1 2

Started by GolfMark
Views: 973 Posts: 27

2007-05-18 11:47 AM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : December 14, 2004
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 2
I used mine all of the time. They were handy, entitling me to drink, smoke cigarettes, binge on food and pursue other addictive behavior.