General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gulf Shores, Alabama
United States
Team Magic
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 13s
Overall Rank = 7/295
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

Left the house around 4:40am to get to the race site by around 5:30am. Ate Pop Tarts on the way along with an Ensure and drank a small Gatorade. Set up transition. Ate a few crackers and waited for the race to start
Event warmup:

Did a short run to loosen up. Hamstring had been tight but was feeling some better. Got in the water and swam twice while waiting for the sprint racers to complete their swim.
Swim
  • 24m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt comfortable throughout the swim. Got stung by a jellyfish across the back of both legs. Not too bad. Course got congested on the second lap. On the leg back toward the beach the current pushed me away from the buoys..
What would you do differently?:

Probably could have pushed harder and should have paid more attention to the current
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Long run from the water up the beach to transition. Moved along pretty well with no major problems.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.32 mile/hr
Comments:

There was a headwind on the East bound leg and for a short bit while heading into the State Park. Really didn't have a watts goal planned. Just figured I would see how I felt. Figured I would be 230-250 depending on how I felt. Made myself push it for a few minutes at different times and ended up at NP241. I knew going too hard on the bike would make the run even tougher given the heat. Have not checked Garmin but course might be just a little bit short...maybe 1/3-1/2 mile???

Pretty solid ride. Certainly could have gone harder but pretty consistent with my olympic race power.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Pretty decent....no screw ups.
Run
  • 44m 52s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew this would be tough. Felt good aerobically but legs were heavy. Stopped at first aid station and took in a gel, water and poured water over my head. I knew I needed to get fueled for the rest of the run and while stopping for 10-15 seconds isn't ideal it allowed me to push the remainder.

Fell into a pace of 7:00-7:15. First mile was a little slower due to stop at aid station. Just kept trying to log the miles at this pace with the expectation that I would slow toward the last couple of miles. Walked through the turn around and got more water and a wet rag. Counted off the miles and started calculating what I needed to do to go sub 2:15. Kept plugging along and pace remainded pretty even throughout. Glad to see the finish line.

Nothing really. Knew I would have to adjust run pace given the heat and I was able to do that and hang on.
Post race
Warm down:

Water/shade! Sat down for a bit, went for a short cool down run then cleaned up transition. Visited with friends and team mates at the Hangout and had a few cold beverages while waiting for awards. Always nice to do a local event where you know so many people.

Ended up getting bumped up to 3rd in Masters as they did not have grandmasters. AG win by 7 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was a little mentally burned out going into this race. My 10th of the year. Fortunately, things kicked in when the race started and I was pleased with how it went. Olympic PR by 2 minutes on a really hot day

Event comments:

I always enjoy this race and the Hangout on the Gulf is an awesome venue. Having done this race several years it seems like Team Magic was a little less organized during packet pick up and the post race meal of chili and chips is a big step back from the buffet they served in the past. Can't complain about the cold drinks though. Team Magic always does a good job and the ceremony for awards/door prizes is always fun. Will be back

Last updated: 2013-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:29 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 18/295
Performance: Average
Suit: Kiwami swimskin
Course: 2 laps of a long rectangle with a 50 yard beach run between laps. Straight out, right 25-50 yards then back toward the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:19 | 24.85 miles | 24.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 10/295
Wind: Some
Course: Out of transition to the East. Over the Perdido Pass bridge, then loop under the bridge and back over the bridge heading West. Out and back into the State Park then return to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:52 | 06.2 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 14/295
Course: Out of transition to the West along the beach road. No shade. Hot!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 11:48 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon

2013-09-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4850888

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon
Crazy fast as usual.
2013-09-09 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4850888

User image

Master
Awesome, Randy, as usual.
2013-09-09 8:16 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I have no idea how you ride your bike that fast!!

Well done.
2013-09-11 4:11 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
It's funny because I read your whole report thinking "he sounds kinda burnt out" and then I got to the end and you said it.

Or it could be my imagination because I'm a little burnt out

Anyway, great effort as always. And damn, how DO YOU ride so fast?!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon

Started by Sarah73
Views: 1440 Posts: 5

2012-09-09 8:16 PM fitmomma2010

Started by marutland01
Views: 1063 Posts: 1

2011-09-29 9:49 PM marutland01

Started by neverstopexploring
Views: 1200 Posts: 1

2011-09-11 10:01 PM neverstopexploring

Started by auburn365
Views: 1073 Posts: 3

2011-09-12 8:25 PM slornow

Started by investr69
Views: 1080 Posts: 1

2010-09-11 7:52 PM investr69
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 2, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
A new triathlon podcast series where we feature various active BT triathlon coaches and their training philosophies. This month we talk to 'Rocket Man' Brett Daniels.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.

date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : March 9, 2007
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.