United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 19m 49s
Overall Rank = 112/706
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 25/104
Pre-race routine:

Did not sleep well the night before. Stayed at breakers express. I woke up at 5:55 even thought the alarm was set for 6:00. Drove through McDonald's for coffee on the 5 minute drive into the park. As I was getting my stuff out of my car, I noticed a lot of people walking to the harbor side of the peninsula which led me to believe they moved the swim to the harbor side. That made me start to think about footwear for the half mile run from swim to transition (stressed me out a little bit). Got to my transition spot at 6:15 to set up. Had a bagel while I was walking over.

As I set up my stuff, pumped up tires, I kept thinking about my shoes. I decided to wear my run shoes over to the swim and leave them there for the run from win to TA. I knew that would get them soggy ,but I thought it was worth it.

Event warmup:

Found out the warm up swim went to 7AM. I didn't want to swim until only 7AM then get out, so I figured I would forgo the warmup. So no warm up really.
Swim
  • 37m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

After no warm up, I figured I'd go out easy for the first 200. Luckily it was time trail, so it wasn't a washing machine for the first 200. I thought it was nice and easy, then I got into my grove. Things got a little dicey just as I started coming upon slower swimmers from previous waves in the narrow channel. It was hard to find room and at one point, I had people swimming 4 abreast, so I sprinted to get past them. Spiked my heart rate and I started having a bit of a panic. But slowed down my breathing for a minute and calmed down.

The rest was straight forward for the most part. I just kept plugging away the the next buoy. As I was coming into the return back into the channel, I got a little of course, but correct towards the blue arch. With about 200meters to go, I got clocked in the head by another swimmer and pulled up for a second. As soon as I pulled up, my calf cramped up. Poor guy who hit me thought I was in pain cause of him. It was because of the cramp. I told him not to worry about it, and I continued on with my foot locked at 90 degrees for a minute and then it subsided (I still have a not in my calf today).

I found my way to the boat ramp and climbed up. Ran over to the wetsuit strippers, had them pull my wtesuit off, found my shoes, and ran the .6 miles to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure why leg cramped up again at this race with the last few hundred meters. I need to look that up. Same thing happened at Cedar Point last year.
Transition 1
  • 06m 41s
Comments:

Only problem with transition was long run to get there. Everything else was straightforward. I had to take my wet shoes off and place them on my TA spot, but everything else was easy.
Bike
  • 2h 34m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I jumped on the bike and immediately started passing people. My goal was to keep my HR in the 140s. It started out in the high 150s and even though I was passing people, t came down. It finally settled in around the 4 mile mark, then I just kept trying to keep it there. I felt great the whole ride.

On my bike, I had a highly concentrated Infinit solution on the down tube that I hit every 25 minutes. Then had water in the aerodrink that I filled at every aid station. I was averaging like 22.7 mph for the first 30 miles and I was waiting for the headwind to hit.

It hit a few times, but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst part was the last 4 miles of gusting crosswind off the lake. The deep rims didn't like that and I had to focus to keep my bike going straight.

Came into transition feeling good but was scared of the run given my lack of run training due to injury over the past few months.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Everything was great until my GPS watch said low battery when I went to put it on.

Turn the GPS watch on when I hit T2 for the run instead of thinking my battery can hold out for 6 hours.
Run
  • 1h 59m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I have been injured for a good amount of the 2013 season with a bone spur in my foot. My longest run going into this race was 10 miles and I was still having some pain. This foot problem was lingering in the back of my head through the whole race as I wasn't sure how it would respond. I also chose to use my new orthotics which I got two weeks ago and did some practice runs in and they felt good.

In my head, I played it conservative. I figured I just needed to run about a 2 hour half marathon to PR the race. So I decided to take it easy for the first part of the run. For the first mile, my feet already didn't feel good with the new orthotics, I stopped for minute on the first mile to adjust, and then continued on. I was trying to keep my HR in the low 150s. I also realized that at any second my watch would die and I would lose my HR guidance. I was passed by a few guys in my age group early on, and then latched onto another runner who seemed to be running low 8s (which I should normally be able to do for a full marathon). I was able to hang with him with minor discomfort. There was some pain in my foot, but my stomach wasn't feeling too great. I may have over consumed Infinit on the bike and that was starting to effect me on the run.

Anyway, I hung with this guy through mile 8, then he stopped at an aid station and I kept going, then my GPS died at 8.5. He passed me about 3 minutes later, we exchanged some words of encouragement, and I tried to keep him in my sights for the rest of the race. The last three miles of my run got really ugly because I was going off of RPE instead of my actual heart rate. I learned on this race that I rely too much on my HR monitor to tell me if things are good since I perceived I was racing to hard and my splits had me slowly going down the tubes.

Anyway, the last three miles were painful, I got passed by three guys in my AG in the last mile, and I slowly jogged it in to a just barely sub 2 hour half marathon. Ran through the shoot and was glad it was over.

Charge up my watch better and dial in my nutrition to avoid stomach issues. I was also heavily undertrained for the run, so this was about what I expected.
Post race
Warm down:

I was hurting a bit, so I stretched, hit the rest room, then grabbed a little bit of food over at the pavilion. Not much there since my stomach was in a bit of distress.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training, some nutrition mishaps, and lack of battery in my GPS left me running in the dark.

Event comments:

I love Rev3. I am so happy they had a swim contingency plan. This year I did a WTC 70.3 and Rev3 HIM. Rev3 is head and shoulders above WTC 70.3 series when it comes to racer experience and entertainment value. The announcer had me laughing out loud several times. They had tons of volunteers, great race support, and tons of energy at the finish line.

Last updated: 2013-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/104
Overall: 0/706
Performance: Average
Suit: sleavelss
Course: Interesting course through the harborside starting from a boat launch, through a boating channel, out into the harbor, and back to the boatlaunch.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:34:36 | 56 miles | 21.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/104
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out through the country and back.
Road:   Cadence: 89
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:59:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/104
Performance: Bad
Course: Out into Sandusky, some switchback, and back into the park. Very flat except for the bridge on the causeway.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-09 9:44 PM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

2013-09-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4851428

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

Nice race, Kevin!
I was good to see you out on the course, even if it was brief as you blew past me at mile 5

I'm actually surprised that our bike splits ended up as close as they did because I figured you were long gone.  Great run, especially given the foot and other issues.

Solid work, man! 

2013-09-13 8:27 AM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Dublin, OH
Thanks Chris. looks like you had a strong race too. Either you picked it up on the bike after mile 5 or I toned it down. Even thought the time says 5:19, I see a path to sub 5:00 if I add some more run volume next year.

You have had a great season so far. I am amazed you are able to do all that racing and stay healthy. A lesser man would be riddled with injuries.

Good luck on the rest of the season.
2013-09-13 9:13 AM
in reply to: flanag

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by flanag Thanks Chris. looks like you had a strong race too. Either you picked it up on the bike after mile 5 or I toned it down. Even thought the time says 5:19, I see a path to sub 5:00 if I add some more run volume next year. You have had a great season so far. I am amazed you are able to do all that racing and stay healthy. A lesser man would be riddled with injuries. Good luck on the rest of the season.

"Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good".  

You can definitely get to sub-5 next year, and I'm hoping to be able to join you in that.  I just need to catch you on the bike (tall order) and get my run to where I know it can be.

Good luck to you, too! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1738 Posts: 2

2011-09-15 12:54 PM sungirl919

Started by RunningFlyr
Views: 2616 Posts: 8

2011-10-07 2:27 PM RunningFlyr

Started by twinklebug
Views: 2305 Posts: 5

2011-09-17 9:34 PM DLaw

Started by bananatoes
Views: 2237 Posts: 7

2011-09-17 9:22 PM DLaw

Started by jndos
Views: 1323 Posts: 1

2011-09-13 9:43 AM jndos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.