United States
REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up before 5 am for fluid, fruit, energy bar and protein shake. Arrive at transition area 5:45 for setting up the bicycle with the computer, water bottles and running shoes with race belt. Use of the porta potty.
Event warmup:

Walk to the new swim start which is like .6 miles away.
Swim
  • 43m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not real light due to the overcast skis. Water was murky. Additional buoys on the back side of the island would have been helpful. Once I got my self turned around and was facing the wrong direction. Took me a long time to reach the end once you ended for the finish area. Wetsuit strippers help at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim decently.
Transition 1
  • 09m 22s
Comments:

Long run from swim finish to transitional area. We were wearing our shoes but it still was a first to carry your wetsuit this long of a distance.
Bike
  • 2h 47m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

First and last four miles are on the causeway that features plenty of rough surfaces and potholes. Seven weeks earlier I had a serious bicycling wreck during a triathlon that resulted in surgery for a broken finger and torn tendons. I still do not have normal range of motion and usage for my right hand. I was very concerned about crashing in this segment and basically took it easier than what I could have done. Course was rolling that enabled one to sustain momentum going up most of the hills. I was averaging 20.6 mph at Milan when the course turned into the wind and traveled upward for the next six miles. I lost 0.6 mph on my average speed in this segment. Ended with a 20.3 mph average. This included a two plus minute break for the porta-potty. Very strong winds on the causeway coming back and great fear of crashing from either the wind or road surface. MY AP was 194 watts and NP=204 VI=1.07 Average HR was 147 with a peak of 157.

I felt I did this course within my capabilities and was ready for the long run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

grab my race belt, put my shoes on and walked out the exit. I grabbed two drinks at the start.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 04m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out a slow pace at just over 8 min/mile. Between mile four and five I lost it and had to resort to a four/five minute run-one minute walk routine until the finish. I had no cramping. Took in five salt pills on the run. Took three salt pills on the bicycle which also included nearly 1000 cals. Stopped and walked every aid station and had a least two drinks.

My run was around 12 minutes slower than I had planned on. Not real sure what happened but I have had running issues all year. I don't believe I over biked.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, grab some fluids and gels and then sit and rest. Change into dry top.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running has been problem some all year. Need to increase run fitness and stay out of the injury box. Hard to run if you are having foot or back issues.

Event comments:

There is a full (140.6) event but only several hundred contestants in it. This means one can get quite lonely on the second lap of the run if they are slow.

Last updated: 2013-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:01 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Two piece DeSoto
Course: Once around the breakwater island.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:22
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:03 | 56 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: One lap course
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:00 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-13 5:41 PM

Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

Started by matthewwise
Views: 1738 Posts: 2

2011-09-15 12:54 PM sungirl919

Started by RunningFlyr
Views: 2616 Posts: 8

2011-10-07 2:27 PM RunningFlyr

Started by twinklebug
Views: 2305 Posts: 5

2011-09-17 9:34 PM DLaw

Started by bananatoes
Views: 2237 Posts: 7

2011-09-17 9:22 PM DLaw

Started by jndos
Views: 1323 Posts: 1

2011-09-13 9:43 AM jndos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
We interview Rev3 race director Eric Opdyke. Eric is going to bravely face the series of questions we’ll be asking several race directors this year.

date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.