General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got my brick! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-16 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Got my brick!
I could not have raced slower, but I am totally satisfied!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2013-09-16 8:01 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Got my brick!
CONGRATS!!
2013-09-16 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
That is fantastic news! Congratulations...now - would you do it again?
2013-09-16 8:07 AM
in reply to: jswayland

User image

Congratulations!
2013-09-16 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
You did what you set out to do.  Congratulations!
2013-09-16 8:52 AM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Congrats!

2013-09-16 9:15 AM

User image

Elite

woooohoooo!!  3 of my friends did too.  I'm terrified of that race, but the plan is to do the 100 next year. gulp. 

What did you do to train for it? I'm planning on at least two trips there to do the course.

2013-09-16 9:19 AM

User image

Its so satisfing to complete a course like that!

Great job!
2013-09-16 9:40 AM

User image

New user
South Central PA
Congrats Mike! Fantastic job! That was an epic race that I'm sure to do again. I also got my brick.
2013-09-16 9:50 AM
in reply to: turtlegirl

User image

Champion
Originally posted by turtlegirl

woooohoooo!!  3 of my friends did too.  I'm terrified of that race, but the plan is to do the 100 next year. gulp. 

What did you do to train for it? I'm planning on at least two trips there to do the course.

Two trips with two failed attempts to make it up the wall. Also two failed attempts to complete the bike course due to mechanicals.

Here was my climbing practice if you live in NOVA
2 trips to Deep Creek
4 rides to Mt Weather
8 rides to Stumptown / Taylorstown
10 Woodburn / Thomas Mill trips

Put a compact and a 12/30 on my tribike.
2013-09-16 10:21 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Great Job!  I have seen videos of past races, do you know if there is a video of your ride up the wall?

2013-09-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
I offered the RD Kyle $100 for a link to my messy 53 seconds of glory. It was an erratic ascent, to say the least.
2013-09-16 11:05 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Sorry dude, but I am calling you out. If you hadn't started this thread I would have let it go, but since you're calling attention to your brick, a brick that I did not earn but very much want to, I feel I must. Call it jealousy, call it sour grapes, call it whatever you want, but having ridden that course and participated in that race I take exception to your claim. According to your race report, you rested after you climbed The Wall. Sure, you followed the minimally enforceable rule, but that's the letter of the law, not the spirit of it. From the Savageman FAQ:

What about once over the top of the Wall? Can I stop and rest there? The climbing continues brutally for the rest of the course. What if I walk later in the course? Is this permitted? 

In a nutshell: 
No - if you want to abide the spirit of the brick, you cannot rest or walk anywhere on the bike course. 
Yes - if you want to abide just the minimally enforceable rules of the brick, you may walk or rest. 

Many people who successfully cleared the Wall have been spotted on camera resting at the top of the Wall or pushing their bikes later in the course on Big Savage Mountain or Killer Miller or Maynardier Ridge. The spirit of the Brick in the Wall is to reward those who have conquered the SavageMan course including the Westernport Wall, and stopping on course to rest or walking your bike on course hardly counts as conquering it. However, precedent has been set that these people also receive bricks so long as they cleared the Wall, and it is impossible to enforce a "no rest, no walk" policy over the entire course, so the hard-and-fast rule is simply to clear the Westernport Wall. 

2013-09-16 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Congrats! You did it! Bragging rights forever!
2013-09-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Awesome job!  Way to nail your goal, especially after your trial runs were so rough!  Be Proud.
2013-09-16 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by pga_mike
Originally posted by turtlegirl

Two trips with two failed attempts to make it up the wall. Also two failed attempts to complete the bike course due to mechanicals. Here was my climbing practice if you live in NOVA 2 trips to Deep Creek 4 rides to Mt Weather 8 rides to Stumptown / Taylorstown 10 Woodburn / Thomas Mill trips Put a compact and a 12/30 on my tribike.

oh I know those routes well!!! Stumpy/Taylorstown especially the Taylorstown way is tough...I'm thinking Mt. Weather both ways too. Oh and a mountain bike crank on my road bike!

Seriously, congrats!!!

2013-09-16 8:46 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Champion
Mr Brad,

When I got to the top of the wall, there was an armada of failed attempters blocking about 3/4 of the path, some folks celebrating, and my training buddy who was inconsolable. I didn't stop to rest. I stopped to talk to my buddy and take in the moment.

BTW, they have a clothes drop off at the top of the wall. The RD Kyle said that you are REQUIRED to stop, put your stuff in the bag, and then continue. Almost everyone thought that drop off was RIGHT at the top of the wall.

Then I took off and no foot down for the rest of the race.

So there! I am taking my moment back.
2013-09-16 8:53 PM

User image

Champion

Mr Brad,

When I got to the top of the wall, there was an armada of failed attempters blocking about 3/4 of the path, some folks celebrating, and my training buddy who was inconsolable. I didn't stop to rest. I stopped to talk to my buddy for about 10 seconds.

BTW, they have a clothes drop off at the top of the wall. The RD Kyle said that you are REQUIRED to stop, put your stuff in the bag, and then continue. Almost everyone thought that drop off was RIGHT at the top of the wall. To be clear, in my race report, the two minutes was how long it took me to find a clear opening without endangering the rest of the field.

Then I took off and no foot down for the rest of the race. (Until the bike dismount).

So there! I am taking my moment back!
2013-09-17 7:43 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by pga_mike Mr Brad, When I got to the top of the wall, there was an armada of failed attempters blocking about 3/4 of the path, some folks celebrating, and my training buddy who was inconsolable. I didn't stop to rest. I stopped to talk to my buddy for about 10 seconds. BTW, they have a clothes drop off at the top of the wall. The RD Kyle said that you are REQUIRED to stop, put your stuff in the bag, and then continue. Almost everyone thought that drop off was RIGHT at the top of the wall. To be clear, in my race report, the two minutes was how long it took me to find a clear opening without endangering the rest of the field. Then I took off and no foot down for the rest of the race. (Until the bike dismount). So there! I am taking my moment back!

Yes.  Take it back. 

That's awesome, especially considering all of the naysayers who were giving you a hard time about signing up.  I love it when this happens.  Doing something that people tell you you can't is particularly sweet, isn't it?  :)

----

Brad?!  C'mon man...

2013-09-17 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by pga_mike Mr Brad, When I got to the top of the wall, there was an armada of failed attempters blocking about 3/4 of the path, some folks celebrating, and my training buddy who was inconsolable. I didn't stop to rest. I stopped to talk to my buddy and take in the moment. BTW, they have a clothes drop off at the top of the wall. The RD Kyle said that you are REQUIRED to stop, put your stuff in the bag, and then continue. Almost everyone thought that drop off was RIGHT at the top of the wall. Then I took off and no foot down for the rest of the race. So there! I am taking my moment back.

When I did it they were very clear that while the gear drop was there as a service to the racers, if you stopped for it you didn't get your brick. They were clear that if you stopped anywhere on the bike course you didn't get your brick. Oh well, things change over time It is Kyle's last year after all. Good on you for making it up the climb.

2013-09-18 3:19 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

The gear drop has always been encouraged to be used and is not a brick disqualifier. I would rather pay for a few more bricks in the road than have people risk hypothermia because they feel they lose their brick if they stop to disrobe the extra clothing wanted for the long descent to Westernport.

Those who stop to mingle and rest at the top of the Wall itself are not abiding the spirit of the brick. The spirit of the brick is that you beat the Westernport Wall and beat the entire course. But, it is what it is. I'm sure there are people who have gotten bricks who have stopped and rested at the cross streets on the hard hill just to the base of the Wall. It's meant to be a fun challenge, and I'm not going to let details such as these detract from it.

- Kyle

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got my brick! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

why bricks are called bricks

Started by autumn
Views: 968 Posts: 10

2005-07-26 7:27 PM mhan22

To brick or not to brick??

Started by blessteve
Views: 1137 Posts: 11

2005-05-28 10:26 PM mtorment

when is a brick a brick?

Started by Mimir98
Views: 1034 Posts: 9

2004-12-23 10:32 PM webguy

Brickety Brick Brick

Started by teechur
Views: 859 Posts: 3

2004-05-26 12:10 PM Ron

Getting cramps/stitch in "bricks"

Started by regaldozer
Views: 1320 Posts: 9

2004-03-20 8:13 PM regaldozer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 10
Brick workouts are one of THE most important parts of training that you should be doing. Read why and find example brick workouts for any distance.

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : July 20, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.

date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Males should be screened from their twenties onward with a fasting lipid profile to assess overall cardiovascular disease risk.