Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » The future of Outback Events? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-20 5:59 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Subject: The future of Outback Events?

I wonder if there will ever be another race again in Oliver.

http://oliverdailynews.com/bill-still-owing-for-2013-event/#comments

2013-09-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: peby

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-09-22 12:38 PM
in reply to: DrLeah

Elite
Subject: RE: The future of Outback Events?

Yeah, he had a gold mine of a business here and basically threw it away. It's like a trucking company not paying it's gas bill.

Even if he does pay the town in full, he has burned most of his volunteer bridges because he hasn't provided the promised donations to the charity groups.

2013-09-23 6:18 PM

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Anyone else find it interesting that the early bird price ends September 30?  I think he's probably hoping to get enough money from 2014 early birds to pay off the 2013 bills. 

2013-09-23 6:43 PM

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Disappointing news. I just finished the Cultus Lake Oly and had a really good time. I also was still hoping to do the Oliver Oly and the half as well.

I really liked swimming in Tuc this spring and riding the bike route. Maybe someone will move in and revive the race.
2013-09-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

Veteran
Surrey, BC
I'm still waiting to hear back about my transfer to a 2014 race after WCOC was cancelled.
I've sent three separate emails over 3 months and have got nothing in response, and yet they have time to put together and email a newsletter about what's going on at Outback events. My last email was a reply back to the newsletter email, so I know for a fact that they are getting my emails.

Does it really sound like their focus is on the athletes or just the money? To me, it's every clear.

2013-09-25 11:28 PM

Veteran
Abbotsford
I have tried several times in the past years regarding different issues and have never got anything back. Its really sad. I liked the races they did, but this year I found the Oliver half to be the worst. How can you run a race at that distance and not even have photographers? I won't be doing any Outback event until Joe gets more organized.
2013-09-26 11:52 AM

Chilliwack

I'm going to cut and paste Joe's response from the "other" site.  I raced at 3 outback events this year, and to be honest did have a wee issue, but it was sorted, and will be doing Outback events again next year.

It looks like he's got things sorted out!

Quote from Joe "

Well, has this just been an interesting couple of days. Maybe a few of you would like to take me out back and just beat the out of me? I doubt anyone would take me up on that offer though as it is so much easier to do so online… 

For those of you unfamiliar with Oliver the Oliver Daily news is not really produced with someone with journalistic integrity or journalism experience. It is the local gossip and PR blog with photos, with the word news in the URL, disguised as an actual news website produced by a local that is not a fan of me personally. 

I found out a day ago that I had monies owed to Oliver Parks & Recreation. Since I found out, via mail, I called them and a cheque has been sent. It seems that during the busiest three weeks of my season a cheque didn’t go through. As I didn’t receive anything from my Credit Union, and neither was anything returned to Oliver P&R I didn’t catch it. When I spoke to Jenny at Oliver Parks & Recreation early July, just before the Desert Half Iron, and asked if everything was good I was told yes and worked off that until I found out otherwise earlier this week. 2014 venues have been booked with Oliver Parks & Recreation. Problem dealt with and solved. 

I’ve been on the road producing events since June and working flat out. Have I missed some emails, been slower than I would’ve liked to get WCOC stuff wrapped up, been less than perfect – absolutely. I put out our monthly newsletter last week without mentioning anything about the 2013 WCOC and before I’d had a chance to email those athletes that had yet to get their refund. I did not think that by doing one before the other that I would raise such ire and have others doubt me and feel the need to “send out a warning”. You see, since Cultus I’ve been dealing with two of any seasons most draining tasks of completing TRIBC reports, always want to stay in good standing, and year-end inventory and I even took some time off this past week and a bit for myself before returning to work yesterday. I’ve emailed those athletes that need their refund processed still and this will happen between now and the 15th. Dealt with. 
Upon my return, I read what has been written and I’m disappointed but understand after 12 years of dealing with triathletes that not everyone is nice and that people often look for the worst, want to be the person “in the know” and be heard. 

After 10 years in Oliver I’ve had the privilege in seeing many of you do your first triathlon, race to meet a personal goal, use the race as a milestone or as training for IMC. Being part of events that have meant so much to so many has been amazing. On top of what the race shave done for you as athletes over $50,000 in honorariums in Oliver alone have presented to various community groups. 

2012 and this year were difficult personally and things have been getting better. 2014 is going to be a good season and I’m excited about it. The WCOC triathlon will be taking place the Saturday the day before the Oliver Half Iron so that if we end up with a small field the race will go on no matter what. It will be a busy but fun weekend and a proper announcement will go out soon. The 10th annual Desert Half Iron will be held once again and it’s going to be great to see people take on the challenge of the toughest Half in the Northwest. Later in July Sylvan Lake will take place again for the 9th year and then in September Cultus Lake to end the season. With the change in dates for IMC it is going to make for a bit easier schedule for being in the office. 

Outback Events, me and those that work with me race weekends, are excited about 2014. Lots of work to get done to get back to how I want our races to be and I’m working hard and it will happen. If you have constructive suggestions, concerns or want to simply want to vent to me directly drop me an email and leave your number and I will call you back to discuss. I’m much more a phone person than emails. Right now I’ve got no time for drama as I’ve got hats and awards to be mailed out, remaining 2013 items to be cleared up and serious work to be done. 

Wherever you decide to race next year my fellow triathletes, I wish you all the best. For those that decide to race with us in 2014 I look forward to seeing you at the finishline, give you your medal, shake your hand, congratulate you on your day and thank you for racing with us. 

It’s been a long day, I think I’m off for a run. 

Sincerely, 

JSD 

Joe Dixon 
Race Director 
Oliver Half, Desert Half, Cultus Lake Tri, Sylvan Lake Half 
"Wine Capital of Canada" Tri http://www.outbackevents.ca

2013-09-26 5:32 PM
in reply to: tsrf900r

Veteran
Surrey, BC
I'm sorry but when someone takes my money and I receive nothing in return, I think I deserve to be "in the know" as far as my money goes.
That's a complete slap in the face to all of us that had paid for an event that never went on. We were asked by Joe, to send a reply by July 31st to let him know what we would like done with our funds, it was either a refund or a transfer. In my case, I did my part and had to wait 2 months for a reply.
2013-09-26 9:40 PM

Veteran
Abbotsford
I feel the same way. If I can remember correctly he had the same sort of post at the begining if the season explaining last years issues. A month before the Oliver 1/2 had contacted TriBC regarding Outback and was told at that point his Oliver race had yet been cleared by them. "He was on his own" I was told. The fact that he has sent out two emails of this style this year worries me. I understand he is busy, we all are. But he needs to get it together. Communitcation has always been as issue even before his seperation. 3 years ago I ordered a Tri top for the race. My first half and I was excited. At pacage pick up I heard the same story as this year. We will ship it to you. I emailed them several times and even called. Cause he is better on the phone. lol and I never heard a thing. left messgaes and no calls back. 6 months later the shirt shows up. This is not a hick up. its an on going problem that he has still not delt with.
2013-11-25 10:34 PM

Veteran
Abbotsford
Anyone recieved that hat we were supposed to get yet?

2014-01-13 11:35 PM
in reply to: mpdiotte

Veteran
Abbotsford
Bump? lol
2014-01-14 5:01 PM

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

It looks like over 250 people have signed up for the Oliver half so far this year, so it's definitely not dead.  However, its not listed on the Tri-BC calendar yet, which probably means they still haven't sanctioned the race. 

Shawnigan Lake won't have a half Iron distance in 2014, so there should be some spill-over to Oliver.  Personally I've decided to do the Troika Half Iron in Spokane this year, which is the same weekend as Oliver. 

2014-01-20 9:59 PM
in reply to: ultramike

Shawnigan lake does have half iron distance this year 2014
2014-01-21 4:53 PM
in reply to: ausieguy

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Originally posted by ausieguy Shawnigan lake does have half iron distance this year 2014

The website says there is a "Trestle Challenge".  

• 1.5 km Swim
  • 45 km Bike
  • 21.1 km Run

It doesn't mention a race with a 90 km bike leg.

2014-01-29 10:32 PM
in reply to: ultramike

Thanks for clarifying

2014-02-03 7:43 PM

Master
Port Moody, BC
Do they allow wet suits in this event? Is it a cool hat? I only do races that have cool hats. and photographers that are there! Does everyone get a ribbon or a medal? I want something out of this after giving this Joe guy all my money!!!
2014-02-04 8:50 AM
in reply to: hazmaster

Elite

Originally posted by hazmaster Do they allow wet suits in this event? Is it a cool hat? I only do races that have cool hats. and photographers that are there! Does everyone get a ribbon or a medal? I want something out of this after giving this Joe guy all my money!!!

I believe they give free head shaves for those who want.

2014-02-04 9:47 PM

New user
penticton
both the oliver half and osoyoos half are two of the best event in BC. it s too bad joe as not kept the ship sailing smoothly.

definitly, oliver is a good kick off of the season and one of the best attented race in bc in the 2007-2011 time frame...we were getting 1200+ people racing....
2014-03-10 12:15 AM
in reply to: #4859845

Veteran
Abbotsford
I was actually thinking of reg for Oliver, so I went to the website and it appears the Outback Events site has been shut down. Has anyone hear anything? Kinda sad
2014-03-10 6:53 AM

Elite

Originally posted by mpdiotte I was actually thinking of reg for Oliver, so I went to the website and it appears the Outback Events site has been shut down. Has anyone hear anything? Kinda sad

Probably hasn't paid his web domain bill.

2014-03-10 7:11 PM

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

The site is back online now. 

http://outbackevents.ca/

....and it still says "Registration will be open for the 2014 Cultus Lake Triathlon on February 1st, 2014.", but there is still no registration link....

2014-04-05 3:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Tri bc calendar of events has May 31 and June 1 listed for Oliver races. As well, Cultus Lake is listed.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » The future of Outback Events? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BC Xterra 2012 Events

Started by ibrack
Views: 1730 Posts: 4

2012-01-03 1:48 AM dfquigley

End of Season event?

Started by Crazypop
Views: 974 Posts: 1

2006-10-04 1:49 AM Crazypop
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
comments : 1
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.

date : October 4, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
I was filled with anticipation for this event, as it was the first in what I hoped would be many triathlons, and I had no idea how I'd do.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
Topics include Ironman training, nutrition, focus weeks, balance, running form, SPL, powermeter, coaching and minimal training time for events.
date : November 27, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Know that base training is not a component of training that is going to necessarily make you faster, but it will make you stronger and give you more endurance to last through the longer races.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Your training schedule should be based completely on the hours you have available to train, not necessarily on the number of hours you "need" to train.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Your Past is History but the present determines your future. From the book 'Be here now' by Dr. Richard Alpert