General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CDifferent Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-20 2:53 PM

Subject: CDifferent Tri
My first tri will be the sprint in Sugarland at the CDifferent foundation events. there's a super sprint, too but I thought for my first I should go with a more recognized distance.

nervous, anxious, and all that about getting there early, having everything I need, open water swim, blah blah. I'm in it to finish. No wetsuit, hybrid bike, just me.

I guess the swim concerns me. got a swim coach and she sayd my stroke is awesome (surprisingly), but I need a more effective kick to maintain body posture and be more efficient in the water. Right now I still can't swim more than 50m without needing to stop. lungs aren't burning, just gasping for breath. she says get over it, but I do'nt know... I can bike and I can run without this issue. Maybe I need an examination? after 50m of rotary breathing, if I don't stop, I have to go every stroke. if I can't make 500m by late october, you'll see me flip over to backstroke!!

any thoughts on this, my first tri, and the swim? anyone else gonna be there? if so, say hi- I'm the guy that looks like he shouldn't be there

2013-09-20 6:13 PM
in reply to: skippypusa

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: CDifferent Tri
The C-different race in March was my first tri. It's the same race as the one in October. I did the super-sprint and I recommend doing that distance given your level.

When I started swimming in November, I couldn't get past 75 yd without gasping for air and having to switch strokes. By February I could do 1,000 yd continuous in the pool. You hit some magical breakthrough point where you can keep going and going.

While I could do 1,000 yd in the pool, I'm glad I didn't do the full sprint. 500m looks daunting all stretched out. We had the added difficulty of the water being 67 F and I didn't have a wetsuit. It was also my first open water swim and the new challenges of that is not to be underrated. If you can get a practice OWS in, I'd highly recommmend it. Try Lake 288.

In the meantime, try swimming sets where you swim 50m of freestyle (or until you gasp), then take some breaststrokes to recover and then swim freestyle again. Knowing you can continue to swim by whatever means and finish a longer distance is reassuring. Aim for longer than the 150m, so about 300m.

I'm not doing this race, but maybe I'll do it again in March, next time the full sprint.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CDifferent Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Tanglewood Tri? (Tri to Make a difference)

Started by jbrobston
Views: 1613 Posts: 4

2011-03-26 8:18 PM bdye101

Hi-Fi Tri to become Tiki Tri....I think

Started by KEJ
Views: 1000 Posts: 12

2008-04-07 7:17 AM KEJ

OUr 1st Tri - 3 weeks - cap of tx tri in Austin labor day

Started by jaxthedog
Views: 818 Posts: 2

2007-05-10 10:12 PM snausa

Disco Tri (and pre-tri)

Started by camy
Views: 968 Posts: 14

2006-07-03 9:22 AM Comet

Tri-Andy's-Tri Aug 21th

Started by Freeswimmingfish
Views: 781 Posts: 4

2005-08-22 4:36 PM Freeswimmingfish
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.