General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to improve my running from HM to full marathon for May 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-30 2:29 PM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Subject: Need to improve my running from HM to full marathon for May 2014
Good day,

I just ran the Ottawa Army Run half marathon last Sunday and had a blast. It was my first HM. Now I have a new goal to run the Ottawa Race Weekend marathon in May 25, 2014. I want to have a good time for my first marathon but I am pondering the idea to push and BQ.

There is still some time from now to May and I need some inputs on what should I do during the winter to build my base and also get faster. I am assuming that I will increase my mileages slowly but I don’t know when I should start.

For the HM training, I ran about 20-25k per week with 2 long runs (20k) near the end. I did not follow a training plan to the T but slowly increasing my runs one month prior to the race as per most suggested plan out there. My typical runs are from 5-10k during lunch time.

Info about me:
Age group: M-34 (2014)
HM time: 1:30:46 (chip time)
Body: 5’9, ~135lbs

May I have some tips on what should I start working on and when should start? Any program I should follow and what should I do to get faster.

Cheers!
Minh

2013-09-30 8:13 PM
in reply to: mtx

User image

Subject: RE: Need to improve my running from HM to full marathon for May 2014
BQ? Start running. A lot. And then when you think you ran enough, run more.

You'll know you are running enough when you start burning out or when you get plantars fasciitis.
2013-09-30 8:41 PM

User image

Congrats on your first HM.  Pretty good time too if you ask me.  You definitely have some running potential to pull that kind of race off on 20-25k a week.  That said, a marathon will likely require much more running volume to keep running towards that potential.

My advice would be to start building a real running base now.  Look for something like the BarryP 3-2-1 plan.  You can search for some good threads discussing it on this forum and on Slowtwitch...or you can just google it.  It basically outlines a good way to build up your running safely by running often.

Once you've built up a good base...maybe start looking for a marathon training plan around late January.  Look for a plan that starts at the running volume you are comfortable with at that time.  There is really no point in trying to pick a marathon plan now...as you may be behind or ahead of the starting point of that plan when the time comes.

Lastly, while I think you are a good BQ candidate, don't let it drive your training.  Run the volume and paces that you can comfortably handle while avoiding injury.  If you eventually get to BQ in your first marathon, that would be a great accomplishment.  Maybe do a few 10ks and another half marathon to help guide your fitness progress and training paces.  So many people become fixated with a BQ, or sub X:XX marathon goal that they push themselves way too hard considering where they are starting.  Then they end up injured.

2013-10-01 10:14 AM

User image

Originally posted by mtx

Good day,

I just ran the Ottawa Army Run half marathon last Sunday and had a blast. It was my first HM. Now I have a new goal to run the Ottawa Race Weekend marathon in May 25, 2014. I want to have a good time for my first marathon but I am pondering the idea to push and BQ.

There is still some time from now to May and I need some inputs on what should I do during the winter to build my base and also get faster. I am assuming that I will increase my mileages slowly but I don’t know when I should start.

For the HM training, I ran about 20-25k per week with 2 long runs (20k) near the end. I did not follow a training plan to the T but slowly increasing my runs one month prior to the race as per most suggested plan out there. My typical runs are from 5-10k during lunch time.

Info about me:

May I have some tips on what should I start working on and when should start? Any program I should follow and what should I do to get faster.

Cheers!
Minh

Great job - no specific advice for you about any plan to follow but am interested to see what people suggest.

My husband also ran this race - was his first HM also and he only trained for just over 4 weeks (our friend accidentally registered twice so gave him an entry). His race time wasn't far off yours (he is in the 40-44 AG) - he ran it in 1:32 (with calf cramps starting at 10k so had to slow down the last 11k) but his goal was sub 1:30. He is now contemplating the full marathon for Ottawa Race Weekend, and someone said to try for BQ. This will be a great thread for him to read .... but I think it will open his eyes to how much more training will be required.

Good luck to you! I hope it happens for you.
2013-10-01 12:08 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by Jason N

Congrats on your first HM.  Pretty good time too if you ask me.  You definitely have some running potential to pull that kind of race off on 20-25k a week.  That said, a marathon will likely require much more running volume to keep running towards that potential.

My advice would be to start building a real running base now.  Look for something like the BarryP 3-2-1 plan.  You can search for some good threads discussing it on this forum and on Slowtwitch...or you can just google it.  It basically outlines a good way to build up your running safely by running often.

Once you've built up a good base...maybe start looking for a marathon training plan around late January.  Look for a plan that starts at the running volume you are comfortable with at that time.  There is really no point in trying to pick a marathon plan now...as you may be behind or ahead of the starting point of that plan when the time comes.

Lastly, while I think you are a good BQ candidate, don't let it drive your training.  Run the volume and paces that you can comfortably handle while avoiding injury.  If you eventually get to BQ in your first marathon, that would be a great accomplishment.  Maybe do a few 10ks and another half marathon to help guide your fitness progress and training paces.  So many people become fixated with a BQ, or sub X:XX marathon goal that they push themselves way too hard considering where they are starting.  Then they end up injured.

Thanks for the tips. My plan is to keep the mileages up now and slowly ramping up mpw to hopefully 50-60k. I have a habit for not being consistent in my training so following a plan later on will be a challenge for me. A marathon seems to be such a different animal to me!! Not only I have to run more and be more strict on my training but also have to learn about nutrition.

I want to use the 'off-season' to build a proper pace to run a marathon. From what I've learned the most in my HM is about how to pace myself. I was debating about strategy but settled with the 'equal' pace for the duration which end up working pretty well. For the marathon, I'll have the same strategy.

This is my week plan until I get started with a plan:

2 10k run at marathon pace (lunch time)
1 20k run at on week day
1 long run during weekend (2hrs +)

I am assuming that if I am consistent with all the runs, by end of December I'll be in marathon shape and start working on speed. Are my assumption correct?

Cheers.
Minh
2013-10-01 12:12 PM
in reply to: jillebean

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by jillebean

Originally posted by mtx

Good day,

Info about me:

Cheers!
Minh

Great job - no specific advice for you about any plan to follow but am interested to see what people suggest.

My husband also ran this race - was his first HM also and he only trained for just over 4 weeks (our friend accidentally registered twice so gave him an entry). His race time wasn't far off yours (he is in the 40-44 AG) - he ran it in 1:32 (with calf cramps starting at 10k so had to slow down the last 11k) but his goal was sub 1:30. He is now contemplating the full marathon for Ottawa Race Weekend, and someone said to try for BQ. This will be a great thread for him to read .... but I think it will open his eyes to how much more training will be required.

Good luck to you! I hope it happens for you.

Wow! Amazing time for just over 4 weeks of training!!! Looks like him and I had the same goal which we came a little short. We still have next year army run to set a new PR and you should tottaly tell him to go for the full marathon in May!!!

2013-10-01 12:48 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by mtxThanks for the tips. My plan is to keep the mileages up now and slowly ramping up mpw to hopefully 50-60k. I have a habit for not being consistent in my training so following a plan later on will be a challenge for me. A marathon seems to be such a different animal to me!! Not only I have to run more and be more strict on my training but also have to learn about nutrition. I want to use the 'off-season' to build a proper pace to run a marathon. From what I've learned the most in my HM is about how to pace myself. I was debating about strategy but settled with the 'equal' pace for the duration which end up working pretty well. For the marathon, I'll have the same strategy. This is my week plan until I get started with a plan: 2 10k run at marathon pace (lunch time) 1 20k run at on week day 1 long run during weekend (2hrs +) I am assuming that if I am consistent with all the runs, by end of December I'll be in marathon shape and start working on speed. Are my assumption correct? Cheers. Minh

I think you're contradicting yourself a bit.  You mention slowly ramping up mpw, but then lay out a weekly schedule that is 3x more than what you currently stated your running.  That's likely a recipe for disaster.  Use your currently weekly mileage as a starting point, and increase from there - most will suggest to stay within the guidelines of 10%/week, and try to keep the long run to 25-30% of total mileage. 

The other two key peices are consistency and pace.  Pace while you're in this base phase is going to be mostly easy - which means much slower than your intended marathon pace (even for the shorter runs).  This can and will change once you move to a specific plan, but the easier pace will allow your body to adapt to the increased mileage.  It's not easy to run slower, but there's lots of evidence to show it's a safe effective way to build the mileage, and allow your body to adapt.  Use the Mcmillan calculators to figure out your pace - you'll be shocked how much slower you need to run.

Jason suggested it before, but take a look at the BarryP program. 

2013-10-01 9:57 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by mtx

Thanks for the tips. My plan is to keep the mileages up now and slowly ramping up mpw to hopefully 50-60k. I have a habit for not being consistent in my training so following a plan later on will be a challenge for me. A marathon seems to be such a different animal to me!! Not only I have to run more and be more strict on my training but also have to learn about nutrition.

I want to use the 'off-season' to build a proper pace to run a marathon. From what I've learned the most in my HM is about how to pace myself. I was debating about strategy but settled with the 'equal' pace for the duration which end up working pretty well. For the marathon, I'll have the same strategy.

This is my week plan until I get started with a plan:

2 10k run at marathon pace (lunch time)
1 20k run at on week day
1 long run during weekend (2hrs +)

I am assuming that if I am consistent with all the runs, by end of December I'll be in marathon shape and start working on speed. Are my assumption correct?

No, I wouldn't recommend this approach. Read the advice in Jason's post, and follow the suggestions for further reading. The good news is that you appear to have some talent for this running thing, and it also looks like you're already quite light.

But 50-60k/week is really not a lot for marathon running. And you don't need to think about "working on your speed". Work on building your mileage and your frequency, and avoid getting injured, and I think you'll be in good shape. Run every day or as close to it as you can. No need to push the pace. The BarryP 3-2-1 approach is beautiful for its simplicity. And when applied to marathon training it incorporates the most valuable elements of the Pfitzinger advanced marathoning plans, which are also highly recommended (key element: include medium-long runs in your regular routine).

I didn't believe all this run-steady-every-day stuff until I tried it for myself, and it actually works. And I get injured less. In the last 18 months I've set lifetime PRs in HM and marathon, in my mid-40s. A couple of days ago I got an email from a friend with the header line "you were right", in which he reported how simply running every day for a number of weeks had led him to a dramatic improvement in his 10k time.
2013-10-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: colinphillips

User image

5'9" M and you weigh 135lbs?!?

Holy crap! I'm 5'9" 37M and haven't weighed 135 since high school. I'm 170-175 16%bf nowadays. I wonder how much easier Tri and Foot racing would be if I was 35-40lbs lighter. I really don't think any amount of exercise and starving myself could get me down to that weight again.
2013-10-02 11:01 AM

Depends if you're taking a pure runner approach or balanced triathlete approach.

As a pure runner, it's pretty straightfoward. Read either Daniels' Running Formula, or pick a stock plan slightly harder than the one you're on now in Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning, and you'll be all set.

As a triathlete it's harder due to balancing of the 3 sports - might need real planning for that.
2013-10-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by aliddle9876

5'9" M and you weigh 135lbs?!?

Holy crap! I'm 5'9" 37M and haven't weighed 135 since high school. I'm 170-175 16%bf nowadays. I wonder how much easier Tri and Foot racing would be if I was 35-40lbs lighter. I really don't think any amount of exercise and starving myself could get me down to that weight again.

well.. might have round it up a little. 177 cm to be exact and trust me, you don't want to know how much I weighted in high school...

2013-10-02 2:20 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by mtxThanks for the tips. My plan is to keep the mileages up now and slowly ramping up mpw to hopefully 50-60k. I have a habit for not being consistent in my training so following a plan later on will be a challenge for me. A marathon seems to be such a different animal to me!! Not only I have to run more and be more strict on my training but also have to learn about nutrition. I want to use the 'off-season' to build a proper pace to run a marathon. From what I've learned the most in my HM is about how to pace myself. I was debating about strategy but settled with the 'equal' pace for the duration which end up working pretty well. For the marathon, I'll have the same strategy. This is my week plan until I get started with a plan: 2 10k run at marathon pace (lunch time) 1 20k run at on week day 1 long run during weekend (2hrs +) I am assuming that if I am consistent with all the runs, by end of December I'll be in marathon shape and start working on speed. Are my assumption correct? Cheers. Minh

I think you're contradicting yourself a bit.  You mention slowly ramping up mpw, but then lay out a weekly schedule that is 3x more than what you currently stated your running.  That's likely a recipe for disaster.  Use your currently weekly mileage as a starting point, and increase from there - most will suggest to stay within the guidelines of 10%/week, and try to keep the long run to 25-30% of total mileage. 

The other two key peices are consistency and pace.  Pace while you're in this base phase is going to be mostly easy - which means much slower than your intended marathon pace (even for the shorter runs).  This can and will change once you move to a specific plan, but the easier pace will allow your body to adapt to the increased mileage.  It's not easy to run slower, but there's lots of evidence to show it's a safe effective way to build the mileage, and allow your body to adapt.  Use the Mcmillan calculators to figure out your pace - you'll be shocked how much slower you need to run.

Thank you sir for the advice.

My thoughts was that since I already can run 20k easy for a long run and not feel 'trashed' the next day, all I have to do is keep it up and add more medium runs in between. That is why I came up with that plan.

However reading through all the tips, it seems like running consistency is more important at this point to build my base. Perhaps I should skip a 20k and make it 5-6 days of running 10K each run and slolwy adding miles (as per the 10% rule)?

Minh
2013-10-02 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Everyone else has pretty much covered it all but I will say, IMO, 50-60k a week is going to leave you on your face over the course of a full.  Work on volume. 
2013-10-02 2:37 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by thebigb

Everyone else has pretty much covered it all but I will say, IMO, 50-60k a week is going to leave you on your face over the course of a full.  Work on volume. 

I agree and I'll be working my way up to more mpw until I start on a plan. Right now I need to build up that base and I will most likely choose the Pfitz 18/70. The thoughts of having to run so much mpw is crazy to me right now but I must commit if I want to achieve my goal.
2013-10-02 2:39 PM

User image

Originally posted by mtx

Thank you sir for the advice. My thoughts was that since I already can run 20k easy for a long run and not feel 'trashed' the next day, all I have to do is keep it up and add more medium runs in between. That is why I came up with that plan. However reading through all the tips, it seems like running consistency is more important at this point to build my base. Perhaps I should skip a 20k and make it 5-6 days of running 10K each run and slolwy adding miles (as per the 10% rule)? Minh

Yes.  Just because you can currently run 20k at an easy pace just fine now (when your overall mileage is low and inconsistent), it doesn't mean you will be able to safely maintain that long run while increasing your overall mileage and consistency by adding other runs.  The cummulative fatigue and training stress you build up from all your running is real, and you shouldn't put that much stock into your long run.

If you read through the BarryP plan, it basically asks you to take your current weekly mileage and break it up over 6 runs, with 3 short runs each at 10% of your total mileage, 2 medium runs at 20% of your weekly mileage, then 1 long run at 30% of your weekly milege.  See how the 3-2-1 ratios are implemented?  Simple right?

So for you, even though you haven't been consistent at it, I'd say you could probably start off at 30k per week.  Which means three 3k runs, two 6k runs, and one 9k run.  I know, I know...that sounds ridiculously low, but your initial gains will be quick.  The key here is building up consistency and allowing your body to get accustomed to higher volume in a safe way.

You can probably get away with adding a little more than 10% for the first few weeks, but once you get towards 40-45k you probably want to cut it back down to 10%, or maybe even 10% every other week.  You don't have to increase every week.  The key is to only increase when you feel like your current running isn't providing enough training stress.  Sometimes you may not need to increase for 4 weeks because you're still getting accustomed to running your current volume comfortably.  You can also choose to increase the intensity of your mid distance runs instead of increasing distance...but you probably shouldn't increase both distance and intensity at the same time.

Improving running fitness takes patience.  Especially if you want to do it while avoiding injury.  For most people (myself included) it's a "hear me now, believe me later" process.

2013-10-03 7:20 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by mtx

Thank you sir for the advice. My thoughts was that since I already can run 20k easy for a long run and not feel 'trashed' the next day, all I have to do is keep it up and add more medium runs in between. That is why I came up with that plan. However reading through all the tips, it seems like running consistency is more important at this point to build my base. Perhaps I should skip a 20k and make it 5-6 days of running 10K each run and slolwy adding miles (as per the 10% rule)? Minh

Yes.  Just because you can currently run 20k at an easy pace just fine now (when your overall mileage is low and inconsistent), it doesn't mean you will be able to safely maintain that long run while increasing your overall mileage and consistency by adding other runs.  The cummulative fatigue and training stress you build up from all your running is real, and you shouldn't put that much stock into your long run.

If you read through the BarryP plan, it basically asks you to take your current weekly mileage and break it up over 6 runs, with 3 short runs each at 10% of your total mileage, 2 medium runs at 20% of your weekly mileage, then 1 long run at 30% of your weekly milege.  See how the 3-2-1 ratios are implemented?  Simple right?

So for you, even though you haven't been consistent at it, I'd say you could probably start off at 30k per week.  Which means three 3k runs, two 6k runs, and one 9k run.  I know, I know...that sounds ridiculously low, but your initial gains will be quick.  The key here is building up consistency and allowing your body to get accustomed to higher volume in a safe way.

You can probably get away with adding a little more than 10% for the first few weeks, but once you get towards 40-45k you probably want to cut it back down to 10%, or maybe even 10% every other week.  You don't have to increase every week.  The key is to only increase when you feel like your current running isn't providing enough training stress.  Sometimes you may not need to increase for 4 weeks because you're still getting accustomed to running your current volume comfortably.  You can also choose to increase the intensity of your mid distance runs instead of increasing distance...but you probably shouldn't increase both distance and intensity at the same time.

Improving running fitness takes patience.  Especially if you want to do it while avoiding injury.  For most people (myself included) it's a "hear me now, believe me later" process.

This is awesome! Thanks for all the details!

Cheers and happy Thursday!

2013-10-03 8:00 AM
in reply to: Jpro19

User image

Pro
Burbs

Originally posted by Jpro19 BQ? Start running. A lot. And then when you think you ran enough, run more. You'll know you are running enough when you start burning out or when you get plantars fasciitis.

I don't think burn out or injury is a great way of judging if you running "enough"

2013-10-03 12:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
So i read through most of the posts but not all of them. Here are my thoughts.

I am similar in build to you (5'10" 140lbs) and ran a similar HM last March (1:28:14) and that was when I got the idea of a BQ in my mind. I ran a lot (which I think you should do). I think that Pfitz is on to something with his mid-week medium-long runs and doubling up some days. I'd say try that. Start short now (5k in the AM and 8k in the pm). I felt good going in to the marathon in May and was pumped. I did well until my nutrition plan got a hole in it and it all went downhill. I did well for a first marathon (3:21), but was a little disappointed I wasn't closer to 3:05. Because of this, I think you need to set 3 honest goals for yourself going into that marathon. 1) Very reachable based on fitness. 2) If you have a good race. 3) Ideal race resulting in a BQ. My goals were 1)Sub 3:20 2) Sub 3:15 3) 3:04:59. I'm headed back this May for revenge.

I'm in a similar situation as you right now and here is what I'm doing (trying to do). 6-8 runs a week. Long run on the weekend of 20+ km. When ramping up for the early May marathon, my focus will shift to quality instead of quantity. Weekly track repeats, tempo run, long run will be the three focus/can't miss workouts. I have been able to get nutrition a little more under control, but there's still work to do.

Also, I think this is a good time to find some limits. Don't push it too hard, but its good to know that at 22km, your legs get really tired and that's the wall for you. Find a specific strategy now to get through that and practice it during every long run. Recognize where that feeling of fatigue kicks in, and decide what you're going to tell yourself when you hit that. Practice it every time. Maybe you tell yourself "It's just pain." maybe you think "The guy in front of me hurts too. I'm stornger" maybe you just swear at yourself and say HTFU. Whatever works. I remind myself about how hard I worked and I am not going to let some stupid tired legs stop me now.

I think others said that now you just need to run and get used to running a lot. Now would be a good time to take some long, easy runs and worry ONLY about nutrition and ignore pace and distance. Set out for 90-120 minutes and work only on nutrition. This was a key to helping me get some of this figured out. I powered through my HM to a good time and drank one cup of water during the race. Nothing else went in my body due to an upset stomach. Sure enough, upset stomach returned for the marathon and it bit me hard. For me, figuring out nutrition was the hardest part.

Good luck!

- Joel

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-10-03 12:37 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to improve my running from HM to full marathon for May 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman (full) triathlon 2014 schedule

Started by spikymaster
Views: 2284 Posts: 7

2013-09-08 12:48 PM ChrisM

BAA expands field for 2014 Boston Marathon Pages: 1 2

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 4533 Posts: 47

2013-09-25 6:33 PM thebigb

First tri done need to improve my running

Started by NMS
Views: 1216 Posts: 11

2013-04-30 4:50 PM NMS

HM close to full marathon?

Started by Khyron
Views: 976 Posts: 6

2012-09-18 11:00 AM bendy wendy

Running/HM suggestions needed

Started by kussmaul
Views: 796 Posts: 7

2011-05-07 11:44 AM kussmaul
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2010
comments : 0
I had hoped to break 1:30 this year but now would be happy just to break 1:34. My question is in my limited time I have left do I concentrate on speed work or endurance?

date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : December 27, 2004
author : gsmacleod
I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!