Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-01 12:50 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Anyone actually affected by the shutdown?
Originally posted by mehaner
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by TriAya One of our Manatees (mentor group) and her husband work in designated critical federal positions--they still have to work but won't get paid

They will be paid.  Maybe not on time, but they won't miss a dime.

yeah, but their bills are still due on time.

Ok.....but compared to the problems people have who have been out of work for an extended period of time....meh.  Like I said, MY FAMILY is in the same boat....my wife is working and probably will not be paid on time.  I'm sure we'll live. Laughing

For the record, I think the "shutdown" is a joke.....the House is a joke as well.  I don't like Obamacare....but it is the law.  Now fund the govt. you boneheads.

your family may not be in the same boat.  there are families that with both earners on furlough will NOT be able to pay their bills.  be glad you are OK.  it's not so long ago that I was living paycheck to paycheck.  IF i were furloughed i would be OK today but just 7 or 8 years ago it would have caused me problems.

and i agree about the government and the shutdown are a joke.

Look, we're all adults.....lets not act like we will be thrown out on to the streets if we miss our next round of bills.  All that does is add us to the stupid sensationalism of this whole deal.  There is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this deal. 

in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by TriAya One of our Manatees (mentor group) and her husband work in designated critical federal positions--they still have to work but won't get paid

Ok.....but compared to the problems people have who have been out of work for an extended period of time....meh.  Like I said, MY FAMILY is in the same boat....my wife is working and probably will not be paid on time.  I'm sure we'll live. Laughing

For the record, I think the "shutdown" is a joke.....the House is a joke as well.  I don't like Obamacare....but it is the law.  Now fund the govt. you boneheads.

Does the ACA cover the zombie apocalypse? Because if you read any of the news headlines you'd think that's what just happened.

We have begun food rationing at our house. Laughing

I have teens at my house too, now I know you're lying. Rationing with my boys means either hiding food or getting to it first.

in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Does the ACA cover the zombie apocalypse? Because if you read any of the news headlines you'd think that's what just happened.

We have begun food rationing at our house. Laughing

DP, sorry.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-01 12:51 PM
2013-10-01 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Originally posted by Sous

Chances are you're right, but 1) its not guaranteed, and 2)  it still hurts.  

I'm working for free (for now), my wife is not.  $0 coming in on pay day will hurt.  

Sure it hurts....but it's still a small problem.  As long as my wife has enough in her savings to keep paying her half of the bills I'm happy.....check with me next week, I may be grouchier about it if she starts coming to me for money. 

I'll check with you next week, but I was more referring to my situation.  I'm on the job for free, with no guarantees that I'll get back pay (most likely I will, but still...) and my wife is sitting on her tuckus.  So for us, next pay day will result in $0 going into the bank account.  All because Congress can't do its job.... and they'll get paid right on time!  Funny how that works.

2013-10-01 12:56 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Pro

I'm working for free (for now), my wife is not.  $0 coming in on pay day will hurt.  

Sure it hurts....but it's still a small problem.  As long as my wife has enough in her savings to keep paying her half of the bills I'm happy.....check with me next week, I may be grouchier about it if she starts coming to me for money. 

I'll check with you next week, but I was more referring to my situation.  I'm on the job for free, with no guarantees that I'll get back pay (most likely I will, but still...) and my wife is sitting on her tuckus.  So for us, next pay day will result in $0 going into the bank account.  All because Congress can't do its job.... and they'll get paid right on time!  Funny how that works.

I hear you, brother.....but you know the drill.  This is all a show.  You'll be paid, just like always.  I wouldn't give those jerkoffs the satisfaction of even thinking it hurts.  Fork them and their stupid games.

2013-10-01 12:58 PM

User image

Pro

I just invoiced a client and was told it can't be processed until the shutdown is over, because they need a change done in the HHS Pay Management System and it's on autopilot. If this goes past two weeks, can I charge them interest?

I wish someone would pay me $174,000 a year to be an intransigent pr*ck. Right now I do that for free.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-01 12:59 PM

2013-10-01 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I hear you, brother.....but you know the drill.  This is all a show.  You'll be paid, just like always.  I wouldn't give those jerkoffs the satisfaction of even thinking it hurts.  Fork them and their stupid games.

yup indeed. 

2013-10-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I wish someone would pay me $174,000 a year to be an intransigent pr*ck. Right now I do that for free.

See now that's just funny!

2013-10-01 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

your family may not be in the same boat.  there are families that with both earners on furlough will NOT be able to pay their bills.  be glad you are OK.  it's not so long ago that I was living paycheck to paycheck.  IF i were furloughed i would be OK today but just 7 or 8 years ago it would have caused me problems.

Look, we're all adults.....lets not act like we will be thrown out on to the streets if we miss our next round of bills.  All that does is add us to the stupid sensationalism of this whole deal.  There is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this deal. 

you seriously think every single person sitting out there not knowing when they will see their next paycheck thinks this is no big deal?  really?  that's awfully narrow sighted.  sure, people on a triathlon board likely have extra cash lying around, but that is just not reality for many people.  trash collection is shut down in DC because of this.  do you really think that all the garbage collectors have massive rainy day funds?  their paychecks have lots of extra in them?

Edited by mehaner 2013-10-01 2:41 PM
2013-10-01 2:42 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro

you seriously think every single person sitting out there not knowing when they will see their next paycheck thinks this is no big deal?  really?  that's awfully narrow sighted.  sure, people on a triathlon board likely have extra cash lying around, but that is just not reality for many people.

No, I'm quite sure there are some people sitting around thinking it's the end of the world.  I'll say it again....there is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this monkey business.

2013-10-01 3:00 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

No, I'm quite sure there are some people sitting around thinking it's the end of the world.  I'll say it again....there is not a single worker for the Federal Govt. who will lose their home or anything else solely over this monkey business.

ANYTHING else? No one losing a paycheck will lose ANYTHING? How is that even possible.

2013-10-01 3:09 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by lisac957

ANYTHING else? No one losing a paycheck will lose ANYTHING? How is that even possible.

Why don't you read what I wrote.  Do YOU know anyone who has lost a home or a car because they missed ONE payment?  No you don't because it doesn't happen......and there is no way in hell this thing goes on for more than a few days in order to make some kind of silly arse statement.  Do you think politicians are going to let people who vote for them lose their homes over this?  That's just ridiculous.

Like I said, Lisa, my family IS one of those who is affected.  More than half of our household income will be lost....for the time being, because we will, of course, get the money as soon as the budget is passed......something our creditors will also be aware of.

I swear......the reason this stupid crap works for these idiots in Congress is because the public buys into the stupidity. 

Let's do this, Lisa......I'll bet you a months pay that you won't be able to find a single person, when this is over, who lost their home SOLELY because of these shenanigans in Congress.  NOT ONE.

As for the "Else".....why don't you go ahead and tell me what they will lose.  You do notice how the govt. is making sure foodstamps, social security, etc. is still carrying on right?  This is a friggin joke.

You can put Chicken Little back in his cage.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-10-01 3:10 PM
2013-10-01 3:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Why don't you read what I wrote.  Do YOU know anyone who has lost a home or a car because they missed ONE payment?  No you don't because it doesn't happen......and there is no way in hell this thing goes on for more than a few days in order to make some kind of silly arse statement.  Do you think politicians are going to let people who vote for them lose their homes over this?  That's just ridiculous.

Like I said, Lisa, my family IS one of those who is affected.  More than half of our household income will be lost....for the time being, because we will, of course, get the money as soon as the budget is passed......something our creditors will also be aware of.

I swear......the reason this stupid crap works for these idiots in Congress is because the public buys into the stupidity. 

Let's do this, Lisa......I'll bet you a months pay that you won't be able to find a single person, when this is over, who lost their home SOLELY because of these shenanigans in Congress.  NOT ONE.

As for the "Else".....why don't you go ahead and tell me what they will lose.  You do notice how the govt. is making sure foodstamps, social security, etc. is still carrying on right?  This is a friggin joke.

Your abrasiveness is endearing.

Do you honestly think that someone living paycheck to paycheck and suddenly not receiving one can go on as if nothing has happened? Is it possible that they'll have to cut back on food, put off buying their kids new shoes, cancel piano lessons or their gym membership? That's what I was referring to. I didn't think I had to spell it out.

2013-10-01 3:23 PM

User image

Pro

You can put Chicken Little back in his cage.

Where's the damn "like" button?

2013-10-01 3:29 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Do you honestly think that someone living paycheck to paycheck and suddenly not receiving one can go on as if nothing has happened? Is it possible that they'll have to cut back on food, put off buying their kids new shoes, cancel piano lessons or their gym membership? That's what I was referring to. I didn't think I had to spell it out.

Well, at least you find something about me endearing.....I don't think there's any way I can get on an even playing field with you. Laughing

I'll say it again.......nobody is going to lose anything.  Cut back on food a bit or not buy that new pair of shoes until they get their back pay checks?  I don't even know what to say to that......it's too heinous to imagine. 

2013-10-01 3:50 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I really doubt any creditors are going to care if I am missing a paycheck. I do not see them cutting anyone any slack. So they may not lose their house, but if you happen to get behind on your bills, this could be the beginning of getting yourslef in a hole that could eventually hurt alot of families.

2013-10-01 3:57 PM

New user

I have had to do that and so have untold numbers of people in the private sector. You know what? Life goes on and we all learn from it. What makes gov. workers any more valuable than those in the private sector?
2013-10-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jford2309 I really doubt any creditors are going to care if I am missing a paycheck. I do not see them cutting anyone any slack. So they may not lose their house, but if you happen to get behind on your bills, this could be the beginning of getting yourslef in a hole that could eventually hurt alot of families.

We went through this 18 years ago, for three weeks.....my wife worked for the Feds then as well.  I remember the workers had a few extra parties and it was a good time.....they were enjoying the time off.  That's the thing about workihng for the Feds....you're going back to work, and in most cases you're getting back pay.

Watch what happens if the trash REALLY piles up in DC per the example Mehaner brought up....guess what will happen, yep, you got it, the trash haulers will be deemed "essential" and brought back to work, with back pay. 

This is all a game.....I agree it's a stupid one, but don't jump off the cliff with these idiots.

2013-10-01 4:04 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
Originally posted by NXS

I have had to do that and so have untold numbers of people in the private sector. You know what? Life goes on and we all learn from it. What makes gov. workers any more valuable than those in the private sector?

Agree 100%.  Where was all the outcry when countless people were losing their homes and livlihood when the economy crashed.....oh yeah, everyone was too busy convering their own arses. 

These morons running congress WANT the public to act just like some of you are doing.....it's the only way it works.  You should be spending your energy demanding that they pass a budget and fund Obamacare....it's the law!

2013-10-01 4:05 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Just speaking anecdotally, but I have a coworker that is the RD for a huge OWS event here in Vegas this weekend.  Goes out of pocket for a lot of the upfront costs.  Renting fencing, having medals and swim caps made, putting deposits down on a lot of the other things needed to put on a big event...

And the race is at lake Mead Natl park.  AND is shut down, AND had to cancel the race.  There were people that even were coming in from out of the country for it.  It's hard to imagine this event may even happen next year/rebound from something like this. 

He didn't mortgage a house over it, or dip into savings, and can still eat and buy shoes.  But this hurt him a LOT.  He's out the money, has to refund people, has to deal with angry people (even though it's not his fault), and who knows if the event will ever rebound.

I know it's a blip on the radar from most people.  I also feel that it's a stupid show/demonstration to make some point by the govt.  I think most will be back at work doing their thing in a few days to a week.  But that's too late for my friend.  And for SOME (maybe a very few), this did have a bigger impact other than putting off a shoe purchase a few days or losing a day of vacation.  Of the 320 million Americans, I bet there is a handful this could be serious for.  Since I happen to know one where in a few days, things WON'T be back to normal?  Makes me think there are others as well.

Anyone know if the passport agency is closed?  I need to get mine renewed and have a limited amount of time to get it done.

2013-10-01 4:07 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by NXS

I didn't say that at all.

I have the same sympathy for the hundreds of co-workers who were recently laid off where I work in the private sector. But to say that not getting a paycheck won't affect someone is just delusional.  

2013-10-01 4:08 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Kido

Just speaking anecdotally, but I have a coworker that is the RD for a huge OWS event here in Vegas this weekend.  Goes out of pocket for a lot of the upfront costs.  Renting fencing, having medals and swim caps made, putting deposits down on a lot of the other things needed to put on a big event...

And the race is at lake Mead Natl park.  AND is shut down, AND had to cancel the race.  There were people that even were coming in from out of the country for it.  It's hard to imagine this event may even happen next year/rebound from something like this. 

He didn't mortgage a house over it, or dip into savings, and can still eat and buy shoes.  But this hurt him a LOT.  He's out the money, has to refund people, has to deal with angry people (even though it's not his fault), and who knows if the event will ever rebound.

I know it's a blip on the radar from most people.  I also feel that it's a stupid show/demonstration to make some point by the govt.  I think most will be back at work doing their thing in a few days to a week.  But that's too late for my friend.  And for SOME (maybe a very few), this did have a bigger impact other than putting off a shoe purchase a few days or losing a day of vacation.  Of the 320 million Americans, I bet there is a handful this could be serious for.  Since I happen to know one where in a few days, things WON'T be back to normal?  Makes me think there are others as well.

Anyone know if the passport agency is closed?  I need to get mine renewed and have a limited amount of time to get it done.

He is refundng money?  He needs to take a WTC race directors class.

2013-10-01 4:15 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by NXS

I didn't say that at all.

I have the same sympathy for the hundreds of co-workers who were recently laid off where I work in the private sector. But to say that not getting a paycheck won't affect someone is just delusional.  

What you don't seem to understand, ok, one of the things you don't understand..... is that the overwhelming majority of those who are "laid off" will receive full pay when the budget is passed and the games are over.  It won't last long enough to have a creditor come after them for anything.....it's a game.  The other thing that happens for the folks who won't get back pay is that they will get taken care of with bonuses and extra overtime....this is not new territory.  Like I said, my family is part of "those who are affected", and we are friends with A LOT of Federal workers....you have no idea what you are talking about for the most part.  There's not a lot of whining going on from the people we know.

2013-10-01 4:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
You are gonna argue with my sympathy? I'm done.
2013-10-01 4:23 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957 You are gonna argue with my sympathy? I'm done.

No, I'm not....but these people will be happy to. Laughing

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/01/smallbusiness/federal-workers-furloughed/index.html

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Anyone actually affected by the shutdown? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 2320 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2008
author : davebass63
comments : 1
A blow by blow description of my first triathlon. Let me start by telling you how I planned for it to go. Though here's what actually occurred.