General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2014-09-05 2:54 PM
in reply to: atlTri4Food

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Subject: RE: Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread
I've lived here for 13 years so I'm not "original", but long enough to call it home. I spend a whole lot of hours training at the military park. There are 3 of us going to IM Chatt. That seems like a high percentage for Vicksburg, LOL.

2014-09-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: runswithcrazydog

User image

Originally posted by runswithcrazydog

The FB group HAS lost their minds. I stare at comments in disbelief. For pete's sake not everything needs a freak out level response. It's like there's just no common sense. Even when level-headed responses are provided, it's ignored and the frenzy continues. I don't get it. I signed up to try my hand at becoming an Ironman. I didn't expect a bunch of panic-stricken craziness from what I thought was a pretty tough group of people. I'm glad to see many people saying they have never seen IM FB groups going off the deep end like this. Just isn't the tone I had expected. Glad I can come here for a more rational discussion.

I couldn't agree more!! Hope everyone is feeling good headed into these last few weeks!
2014-09-09 11:15 AM
in reply to: nmk62303

User image

How's everybody now that taper has started. At least it's started for me. I was giddy with excitement to do a shorter bike ride this weekend. Giddy I tell you.

Rest up folks and I'll see you in Chattanooga!
2014-09-09 11:31 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by miamiamy

How's everybody now that taper has started. At least it's started for me. I was giddy with excitement to do a shorter bike ride this weekend. Giddy I tell you.

Rest up folks and I'll see you in Chattanooga!

Boy am I jealous.... This is the toughest week

Tues: 2 x 1650m swims today followed by 8 mile run
Wed: 2 hour spin tomorrow
Thurs:12 mile run
Fri: 4000m OWS
Sat: 80 mile ride + 8 mile run
Sun: 15 mile run

Then taper
2014-09-09 11:59 AM
in reply to: Fmode11

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
I took Mon and Tue off after my 20 mile run Sun. I felt good doing nothing. Now its back to work for the final push!
2014-09-09 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Originally posted by Fmode11

Boy am I jealous.... This is the toughest week

Tues: 2 x 1650m swims today followed by 8 mile run
Wed: 2 hour spin tomorrow
Thurs:12 mile run
Fri: 4000m OWS
Sat: 80 mile ride + 8 mile run
Sun: 15 mile run

Then taper

So glad I'm not on your training plan! Last week was end of peak. Taper started yesterday. Ahhhh! Only 15 hrs this week.

2014-09-09 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Tapering also starting this week for me. Saturday is 70 miles + 4 mile run. Sunday is 13 miles. I really need to get an OWS in there somewhere. The weather hasn't really been cooperating here for lake swimming.
2014-09-10 7:14 PM
in reply to: atlTri4Food

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
I did 100 mile bike in the rain today, it was the only day I would have to time to get it in, now its all downhill til race day!
2014-09-11 9:31 AM
in reply to: #5047040

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member
Does anyone know the current water temperature?
2014-09-11 9:41 AM
in reply to: rwekin

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by rwekin

Does anyone know the current water temperature?

2014-09-11 10:09 AM

Im seeing numbers closer to 80 degrees...
Brian

2014-09-11 1:01 PM
in reply to: bhmyrick

Veteran
Originally posted by bhmyrick

Im seeing numbers closer to 80 degrees...
Brian

With the weather cooling this week it will be close, will there be a separate wave for people who choose to wear a wetsuit if its above 76?

Just trying to figure out a game plan for wetsuit or not if above 76.
2014-09-11 2:23 PM
in reply to: Rover24

Ill let you know next week. Im traveling tomorrow for a site visit but have a call with our operations team to discuss that. I have reasons to go either way.
Brian
2014-09-13 7:59 AM
in reply to: bhmyrick

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Last long run today, doing 15 miles and work took me to San Diego , so looking forward to running there. 1week until I pack up the truck and head to Chootown!
2014-09-14 7:21 PM
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Regular
Georgia
Always loved running along the waterfront in SAN. Give a salute to the USS Midway for me if you are downtown.
2014-09-15 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
According to the FAQs, looks like the cut off times have been modified - bike cut off at 615 PM, and race finish at 1215 AM. A blessing to those of us last hour finishers who have had to modify their race plans to include HTFU. Depending on start times, we will have between 15:55 and 16:25 to finish. Good luck to all

2014-09-15 10:11 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Random question for those using Tri Bike Transport.

Are you guys removing your rear bottle cages for transport? This is my first race that offered tri bike transport so it's new to me. I thought I saw that we were to do this and quite honestly I just remember how annoying it is to put that thing on there tightly in the first place so I'm checking with others before I take it off.

Obviously, I don't want it to break in transport (duh) but also obviously I don't want to be unable to get it secure with my little hex wrench in the hotel and drop the whole kit and caboodle over a set of train tracks (duh again).

Clearly this is the useless place my empty brain has decided to obsess on this week. But any feedback is appreciated.
2014-09-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Where did you read that? 12:15 a.m.?
2014-09-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: Afletcher

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

This is the body of an e-mail I received this morning:

Dear IRONMAN Chattanooga Athletes, 

We are hard at work finalizing details for our inaugural event in Chattanooga, and are looking forward to a fantastic race day.  

With courses that span hundreds of miles and cross varied terrain, communities and even states, each race comes with its fair share of logistical challenges. With that said, we want to make you aware that currently the bike course for IRONMAN Chattanooga measures 116 miles-four miles beyond our traditional 112 mile bike course length. We are working with agencies in both Tennessee and Georgia to produce the best bike course possible for this year and hope to change the course for 2015. 

To account for the extra mileage, we will be extending the final bike cutoff from 6:00pm to 6:15pm and the finish line close from midnight to 12:15am. 

In addition, we would like to remind you that sunrise is later than for most of our events as this is a late season race - which impacts our standard U.S. cutoff time of 17 hours. The rolling age-group start is currently scheduled for 7:40 a.m. and all athletes should be in the water by 8:20 a.m. giving athletes between 15hrs55min and 16hrs35min to complete the race.

We realize that the combination of these issues is not ideal and we appreciate your understanding as we work through the logistical challenges of a first-year event.

If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].

Thank you for your understanding, and we'll see you at the finish line!

2014-09-15 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Amy, I join you in useless obsessions and second guessing dumb things. I have a "to do" list that would give the impression that I'm going to be out of town for a month.

Does anyone know how long the welcome banquet lasts? I want to go, but with much better food options I think I will eat before. Or after depending on when it ends. Mass catered pasta buffet isn't very appealing.
2014-09-15 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Originally posted by runswithcrazydog Amy, I join you in useless obsessions and second guessing dumb things. I have a "to do" list that would give the impression that I'm going to be out of town for a month. Does anyone know how long the welcome banquet lasts? I want to go, but with much better food options I think I will eat before. Or after depending on when it ends. Mass catered pasta buffet isn't very appealing.

Web page says from 6-8.  I'm on the fence about going.  I like the banquets but agree on the mass catered pasta.

2014-09-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: emferg

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
The schedule I printed says 7pm with no end time. I'll go with a 2 hr window for the event and check the start time next week when any last minute details should be completed.
2014-09-15 3:24 PM

User image

New user

Springboro, Ohio
Gold member

Are you guys removing your rear bottle cages for transport? This is my first race that offered tri bike transport so it's new to me. I thought I saw that we were to do this and quite honestly I just remember how annoying it is to put that thing on there tightly in the first place so I'm checking with others before I take it off.

Obviously, I don't want it to break in transport (duh) but also obviously I don't want to be unable to get it secure with my little hex wrench in the hotel and drop the whole kit and caboodle over a set of train tracks (duh again).

Clearly this is the useless place my empty brain has decided to obsess on this week. But any feedback is appreciated.

I used TriBike Transport earlier this year at IM Texas. When I dropped it off I asked that same question. However, they only removed my pedals and said that the rear bottle cages did not need to be removed. The bike arrived without a problem in Texas from Ohio, and returned in just as good condition. My sticky fuel bottles were still on the back of the bike when I picked it up at home after the race. I'd hate to see some thing happen to your bike, but that, at least, was my limited experience with them.

2014-09-15 4:16 PM
in reply to: Afletcher

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Originally posted by Afletcher

Where did you read that? 12:15 a.m.?

See below. It was also posted on the Facebook page this morning as well as an update to FAQ 15 on the event page.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanoog...

Seems official.
2014-09-15 8:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by rwekin

I used TriBike Transport earlier this year at IM Texas. When I dropped it off I asked that same question. However, they only removed my pedals and said that the rear bottle cages did not need to be removed. The bike arrived without a problem in Texas from Ohio, and returned in just as good condition. My sticky fuel bottles were still on the back of the bike when I picked it up at home after the race. I'd hate to see some thing happen to your bike, but that, at least, was my limited experience with them.

Excellent - Thanks!. Obviously anything can happen. But I think I'm going to try that same thing. If they say they have to come off I'll do it then and it is what it is. Did you do the bike valet - is that how your bottles were still there after?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Chattanooga : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30683 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61178 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173277 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40456 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: