Other Resources The Political Joe » Republicans are LOSING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-10-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Subject: RE: Republicans are LOSING!
If people are hurting a little now, it will be nothing compared to hurt that will be felt when this train wreck of unsustainable spending goes off the cliff. What this partial shut down has shown me is that there are very few in Washington that care about reducing government spending. We are 17 trillion in the hole, and this group of morons in DC think it is all fine and dandy. If this President and his party don't believe Obamacare is unaffordable and will further destroy our economy and healthcare, then it is they who are dumber than any republican. Perhaps this is what Mr. Obama meant by "fundamental transformation".

Edited by NXS 2013-10-11 12:23 PM

2013-10-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Elite
Originally posted by jeffnboise

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

Most of you know, I'm a pretty left leaning, Blue Man in a Red State (Idaho).  With that being said....

In the court of Public Opinion; Republicans are losing this budget battle.  Every single poll on every network (except Ted "wackjob" Cruz's own poll) show public support for Boehner, TeaParty and Republican Party at an ALL TIME low.  Regardless of how the poll is worded; "Who do you blame?" or "Who is more to blame?" or "Favorable/Unfavorable Opinion". Republicans are polling at ALL TIME LOWS.  Not since the Clinton Impeachment have Repubs seen such dismal numbers.

In fact, public opinion for ACA aka ObamaCare has seen an uptick in support from 31% to 38%.  (according to left-leaning NBC/Wall St Journal). 

Could things be any WORSE for Republicans.   I'm all for a strong 2 party system, but If Ted Cruz and John Boehner keep driving the Republican party bus, just how low will things get.  And, more importantly, WHAT can they do to stop the freefall?  I'm not interested in discussing the policies-there are already threads discussing the specific issues. 

WHAT can Repubs do to salvage their party brand?

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

What do you care what the Republicans do?

Who gives a darn what they do to save their "brand"?

When will it be about the country again? Ever?

2013-10-11 12:43 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I have voted, primarily, along R party lines for years. I'm with the others who said next election NO INCUMBENTS.

My husband and I are both feds but are "essential" so we are at work, seeing the difficulty this is causing to the people around us. The sound bites all talk about the 800,000 furloughed employees. What they don't say is that there are approximately 2.1 million civilian federal employees who don't know when they will see another regular paycheck (we get 1/2 a check next week for the final week of September). That number doesn't even include the additional hardships to contractors and other industries that rely on federal funds. In NM we have Los Alamos and Sandia National Labs planning to shut down next week. They emloy about 20,000 people between them.

Not to mention the fact that this is on the heels of many feds having been forced to take several furlough days in the last few months.

This IS going to hurt our economy or, at the very least stall any improvement. 

2013-10-11 2:15 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Originally posted by powerman

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

Most of you know, I'm a pretty left leaning, Blue Man in a Red State (Idaho).  With that being said....

In the court of Public Opinion; Republicans are losing this budget battle.  Every single poll on every network (except Ted "wackjob" Cruz's own poll) show public support for Boehner, TeaParty and Republican Party at an ALL TIME low.  Regardless of how the poll is worded; "Who do you blame?" or "Who is more to blame?" or "Favorable/Unfavorable Opinion". Republicans are polling at ALL TIME LOWS.  Not since the Clinton Impeachment have Repubs seen such dismal numbers.

In fact, public opinion for ACA aka ObamaCare has seen an uptick in support from 31% to 38%.  (according to left-leaning NBC/Wall St Journal). 

Could things be any WORSE for Republicans.   I'm all for a strong 2 party system, but If Ted Cruz and John Boehner keep driving the Republican party bus, just how low will things get.  And, more importantly, WHAT can they do to stop the freefall?  I'm not interested in discussing the policies-there are already threads discussing the specific issues. 

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

awwww someone's a sore loser.

was it about the country before y'all were "losing" I seem to recall a ton of talk about what a jerk Obama was.

2013-10-11 2:19 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Originally posted by dmiller5

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

was it about the country before y'all were "losing" I seem to recall a ton of talk about what a jerk Obama was.

Obama is not a jerk.....he's a joke.  That hasn't changed just because the Republicans decided to act like idiots.

2013-10-11 2:26 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by NXS If people are hurting a little now, it will be nothing compared to hurt that will be felt when this train wreck of unsustainable spending goes off the cliff. What this partial shut down has shown me is that there are very few in Washington that care about reducing government spending. We are 17 trillion in the hole, and this group of morons in DC think it is all fine and dandy. If this President and his party don't believe Obamacare is unaffordable and will further destroy our economy and healthcare, then it is they who are dumber than any republican. Perhaps this is what Mr. Obama meant by "fundamental transformation".

Great Thoughts, but wrong thread!  Already have an ObamaCare thread.  Cool

2013-10-11 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

I'm NOT gloating about anything.  No one, ZERO people, know where my Political side starts and my 'forum banter' ends.  So lets end the "gloat" and "sore loser" personal comments and put them aside.  The FACTS are the Republican Party currently has a Public Opinion Polling problem, the likes of which have never been seen since....well, since Public Opinion Polling.  I laid out my disclaimer in line #1 of the thread.   This is a news story; so....let's discuss.

2013-10-11 3:19 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

I'm NOT gloating about anything.  No one, ZERO people, know where my Political side starts and my 'forum banter' ends.  So lets end the "gloat" and "sore loser" personal comments and put them aside.  The FACTS are the Republican Party currently has a Public Opinion Polling problem, the likes of which have never been seen since....well, since Public Opinion Polling.  I laid out my disclaimer in line #1 of the thread.   This is a news story; so....let's discuss.

You make it sound like the Democrats are doing awesome and the Republicans should strive to be more like them and it's all because of the shutdown.  I think they both have a polling problem and have for a long time.  Just because one sucks a little more than the other doesn't mean the other should suck in the same way the less sucky one sucks.  lol

Here's a couple of links that show the historical polls for both parties.  Both have been polling horribly for a long time and you're premise that nobody's had numbers this low "since public opinion polling".  You might want to sort through the various polls of the Dems.  According to the CBSNews poll they were lower as recent as 11/6/11  :-P

http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_rep.htm

http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_dem.htm

#throwthebumsout

2013-10-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Just because one sucks a little more than the other doesn't mean the other should suck in the same way the less sucky one sucks.  

Well, that's just a little bit of awesome right there, Tony.

2013-10-11 4:02 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Originally posted by switch

Just because one sucks a little more than the other doesn't mean the other should suck in the same way the less sucky one sucks.  

Well, that's just a little bit of awesome right there, Tony.

The funny part is how true it is!

2013-10-11 4:06 PM

Veteran
Originally posted by tuwood

And if they need yet ANOTHER hole in their boat; The rollout for ACA has been nothing short of a dismal failure. 

But NOBODY is talking about it-because we're watching Ted Cruz, Mike Lee (is there a dumber US Senator?) and Boehner trade the spotlight and media reels for their "Grand Bargain".  By the time this thing is settled, ObamaCare will likely have alot of it's technical glitches solved and be fairly integrated into public perception. 

And I really, I mean REAAALLLYYYY, hope Ted Cruz runs in 2016.  (I wonder if Fleetwood Mac would reunite for the inaguration).

BTW, you should be really happy that the Republicans are doing this.  

I'm also with Switch.  There are a lot of negative polls out against the Republicans, but there are just as many against the Democrats.  It's easy to say people hate the republicans a little more so the Dems are winning, but they're really both losing.

#throwthebumsout

the reason we are in this situation is because we resort to name calling and everyone wants to keep getting all their freebies so they name call rather than look at the financial disaster of continuing to spend, spend, spend. EVERYONE has to stop with the freebies, and EVERYONE needs to start working more to listen to one another and everyone's concerns and point of view, and determine whats best for the whole, not just their part, not say, this is what I believe coming from where I come from and if you have a different point of view - only one explanation, you are a stupid idiot. how dare you stupid idiots in Texas think the Chesapeake is not as important as immigration issues, or you stupid fools in rural MN think bridges are more important than public school in New York City. .....everyone's concerns are legitimate, why can't we listen to one another rather than call everyone names? everyone IS loosing, except politicians, the media, and reality tv

2013-10-11 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

You make it sound like the Democrats are doing awesome and the Republicans should strive to be more like them and it's all because of the shutdown.

Not True!  YOU, sir. Not ME! Continue to mention the Democrats.  I never brought them up.  Next month, we could well be speaking of the Democrats in the same way.  But on THIS DAY, the headline is about your Republicans.  And meanwhile Ted Cruz continues his love affair with the microphone.

2013-10-11 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

You make it sound like the Democrats are doing awesome and the Republicans should strive to be more like them and it's all because of the shutdown.

Not True!  YOU, sir. Not ME! Continue to mention the Democrats.  I never brought them up.  Next month, we could well be speaking of the Democrats in the same way.  But on THIS DAY, the headline is about your Republicans.  And meanwhile Ted Cruz continues his love affair with the microphone.

Well YOU.... Have a great weekend.  

2013-10-11 11:18 PM

User image

Elite

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

See, there you go again talking about things you don't know about. Find a single post I ever said I was ever a Republican and I'll give you a $1000.

It's not about being a sore looser, it's the BS partisan politics that is destroying this country. The very same thing that caused this ridiculous mess we are in, and the only thing the OP can comment on is Republicans LOOSING. It's ridiculous, the whole mess.... including your comment.

2013-10-12 8:59 AM

User image

Pro

Discuss.......

Got gloat?

See, there you go again talking about things you don't know about. Find a single post I ever said I was ever a Republican and I'll give you a $1000.

It's not about being a sore looser, it's the BS partisan politics that is destroying this country. The very same thing that caused this ridiculous mess we are in, and the only thing the OP can comment on is Republicans LOOSING. It's ridiculous, the whole mess.... including your comment.

This isn't a game. It's the future of our country we're talking about. If one side "wins" we all lose.What has happened besides this absurd partisan political game is there is also an utter lack of respect for each other, both personally and for the office they hold. We've gone from respectful disagreement to calling each other terrorists and hostages. It's a disgrace.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2013-10-12 8:59 AM
2013-10-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Two very pithy thoughts I have on all of this:

1) the terrorists really have won. We're divided more than ever.
2) This is a game in the sense that the more bickering, the more the zealots on both sides will rile up their bases and encourage more donations. How much money was pissed away in the last election on advertising?

Just my thoughts. Signing off

2013-10-14 8:10 PM

User image

I"m still waiting for someone to put a picture together with Nancy, Harry, Barack and Charlie Sheen with the caption "Winning" and big smiles on their faces. 

The Congress has passed bills I believe to open the parks, monuments and some other matters but they sit on Harry Rieds desk,,,,, F'n republicans. 

2013-10-15 5:38 AM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Somebody posted this on FB last night.  I thought it was an interesting perspective on the whole thing.

2013-10-15 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
This is just more "farting and blaming the dog", as John Stewart put it.

If the actually GOP feels that Obamacare is so horrible that it's worth shutting down the government in order to try to prevent it from being funded, then fine-- as the author notes, that is their right under the powers granted to them by the constitution.

But then, if that's the case, own up to it. If they honestly believed that this is the only course of action to save the country,They should be PROUDLY standing shoulder-to-shoulder on the Capitol steps saying "We shut the government down because we strongly believe that it needs to be done in order to save this nation". That isn't what they're doing. They're literally saying "it wasn't us".

2013-10-15 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well Tupuppy I do agree some of it is spin. If your going 50 mph in the left lane during rush hour you maybe legal in the right but does not mean the other drivers will see it that way,
2013-10-15 9:26 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn This is just more "farting and blaming the dog", as John Stewart put it. If the actually GOP feels that Obamacare is so horrible that it's worth shutting down the government in order to try to prevent it from being funded, then fine-- as the author notes, that is their right under the powers granted to them by the constitution. But then, if that's the case, own up to it. If they honestly believed that this is the only course of action to save the country,They should be PROUDLY standing shoulder-to-shoulder on the Capitol steps saying "We shut the government down because we strongly believe that it needs to be done in order to save this nation". That isn't what they're doing. They're literally saying "it wasn't us".

I still find it interesting how both sides blame the other for "shutting it down".  I know it's politics and that's what they have to do with anything bad that happens.  That's why I found the article interesting because the House never voted to shut the government down and didn't shut it down.  They passed a bill that fully funded everything, with exception of the ACA.  In the same way you mentioned the Republicans proudly standing shoulder-to-shoulder the Democrats could do the same stating that the ACA is so important to America that they shut down the government until the Republicans give them a bill fully funding the ACA.  It's still just finger pointing on both sides so I'm not in the partisan camp of it being all Democrats fault either.  I just don't think you can fairly say it's all the Republicans fault either.  They have divergent opinions on what should be funded and the Democrats appear to be unwilling to negotiate or compromise form anything but a "clean bill" that funds everything they want.

I still go back to my statement that this is the kind of stuff that happens when you pass a major legislation such as the ACA without any support at all from the other party.  The Republicans didn't support it then and they don't support it now (big shock).  Did the Dems just assume that they'd always have both houses for the rest of eternity?

I'm personally a fan of a balanced budget.  So, if we feel the ACA is important enough to fund then we have to cut it from somewhere else or raise taxes to keep the deficit in check.

2013-10-15 9:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn This is just more "farting and blaming the dog", as John Stewart put it. If the actually GOP feels that Obamacare is so horrible that it's worth shutting down the government in order to try to prevent it from being funded, then fine-- as the author notes, that is their right under the powers granted to them by the constitution. But then, if that's the case, own up to it. If they honestly believed that this is the only course of action to save the country,They should be PROUDLY standing shoulder-to-shoulder on the Capitol steps saying "We shut the government down because we strongly believe that it needs to be done in order to save this nation". That isn't what they're doing. They're literally saying "it wasn't us".

Or as the facts show (don't let that get in the way) if Obama feels that his job killing health care plan (which really has nothing to do with lowering health care costs) is so important that if it is not included in the budget the country can be shut down. 

Obama has on more than one occasion and this is just another example of his Chicago politics, if i don't get my way the house can burn down and I"ll blame you for it. 

2013-10-15 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
dp

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2013-10-15 9:48 AM
2013-10-15 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I still find it interesting how both sides blame the other for "shutting it down".  I know it's politics and that's what they have to do with anything bad that happens.  That's why I found the article interesting because the House never voted to shut the government down and didn't shut it down.  They passed a bill that fully funded everything, with exception of the ACA.  In the same way you mentioned the Republicans proudly standing shoulder-to-shoulder the Democrats could do the same stating that the ACA is so important to America that they shut down the government until the Republicans give them a bill fully funding the ACA.  It's still just finger pointing on both sides so I'm not in the partisan camp of it being all Democrats fault either.  I just don't think you can fairly say it's all the Republicans fault either.  They have divergent opinions on what should be funded and the Democrats appear to be unwilling to negotiate or compromise form anything but a "clean bill" that funds everything they want.

I still go back to my statement that this is the kind of stuff that happens when you pass a major legislation such as the ACA without any support at all from the other party.  The Republicans didn't support it then and they don't support it now (big shock).  Did the Dems just assume that they'd always have both houses for the rest of eternity?

I'm personally a fan of a balanced budget.  So, if we feel the ACA is important enough to fund then we have to cut it from somewhere else or raise taxes to keep the deficit in check.

The president has said over and over again that he will not compromise the ACA, so he is, in effect, standing on the steps of the White House saying that the ACA is important and will not be diluted. The GOP puts forth a bill that offers, as you put it, to "fully fund everything, with the exception of the ACA", and then acts shocked, SHOCKED and APPALLED when the President and Reid tell them wherre they can stick it. And then they claim that it's the president's fault that the government is shut down, because they "offered" something that they knew full well the President would never accept.. It's disingenuous, partisan nonsense.

How about if I offer you five thousand dollars, but I get to burn down your house and crush your cars? No? Ok fine, if you don't want five thousand dollars, that's fine by me. Don't say I didn't offer. Just know that if you don't have enough money for a new bike, that's your fault, not mine, because, you know, I offered it to you.
2013-10-15 10:52 AM

New user
Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

The president has said over and over again that he will not compromise the ACA, so he is, in effect, standing on the steps of the White House saying that the ACA is important and will not be diluted. The GOP puts forth a bill that offers, as you put it, to "fully fund everything, with the exception of the ACA", and then acts shocked, SHOCKED and APPALLED when the President and Reid tell them wherre they can stick it. And then they claim that it's the president's fault that the government is shut down, because they "offered" something that they knew full well the President would never accept.. It's disingenuous, partisan nonsense.

How about if I offer you five thousand dollars, but I get to burn down your house and crush your cars? No? Ok fine, if you don't want five thousand dollars, that's fine by me. Don't say I didn't offer. Just know that if you don't have enough money for a new bike, that's your fault, not mine, because, you know, I offered it to you.

But the president has numerous times already diluted the ACA by granting waivers. He just won't budge on granting a waiver for the regular working man. Whether or not he has the legal authority to change law (in my view he doesn't) is the subject for another thread.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Republicans are LOSING! Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : January 13, 2011
author : KenMierke
comments : 0
Learn the principles on how to lose weight and keep it off. These 10 commandments will help keep you at a healthy weight for life.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : September 3, 2006
author : fatboy38
comments : 10
I've come a long way in one year; 85 pounds lost and fitness gained. I think I feel truly alive for the first time in a long time.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
In spite of blaming metabolism for your body type or holding your genetics at fault, anyone can lose weight.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.

date : June 4, 2006
author : robinskj
You don't have to wait for lost pounds, a new bike, more time to train, etc. Work with what you've got right now, and go for it!