General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Kona live coverage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-13 10:18 PM
in reply to: Dnn

Subject: RE: The Kona live coverage
In general, I think WTC is sub-par when it comes to marketing (let's save this for another thread), but I think the live Kona coverage was pretty good. I agree that they spent too much time on the men's race - they probably need to recruit a former women Kona champion/pro competitor to take the lead on the women's race to balance things out from a commentary standpoint.

But the the OP's question, yes, there were ads, but big deal. What happens in the world these days without ads or sponsors? Without them, we wouldn't have IM races or any race for that matter...that's just the way things work. Could the coverage be better, yes, but it is improving. Long story short, I enjoyed watching the live Kona coverage.

2013-10-14 4:35 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
My wife and I were watching, and any chance I ever had of doing an IM faded when she read a stat on the screen:
"IM athlete trains 17 hours/day" My jaw dropped too.

I'm HOPING they meant 17 hours/week, but dang, I guess 17/day is doable
2013-10-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: fgump

They announcers did explain as that stat screen came up there obviously was a mistake in what was showing. It should have said 17 hrs. /week. It was my first time watching the live stream and I thought it was pretty darn good. Compared to what will be shown on Nov 16th it was fantastic! You think the commercials were irritating from the live stream watch the television version and you'll see not even a 1/4 of the actual race with all the feel good stories and commercial breaks that they run.

My only complaint is that I would have liked too seen more people than just the leaders such as Alexander and Jacobs too see how they were struggling and more coverage of the women would have been good too. As someone said in a previous post they needed a female announcer too cover the women's race. Chrissie Wellington would have been good since she is now retired.

And unless they showed some while I wasn't watching the only time I saw Hines Ward and Gordon Ramsey was coming out of T1 on there bikes. I'll have to check to see if they finished.
2013-10-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: 0

Plano, TX
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Dan-LThe America's cup sailing coverage this year was a lesson in how to innovate sports coverage. I hope the WTC are really trying to improve their coverage and not just milk it for as much cash as they can in the face of increasingly high quality competition.Enough people fall for the hype that is the Ironman brand and believe this is a genuine world championships for now but more and more people are catching on that it's just another long distance triathlon that costs five times as much as the others.I want the IM brand to survive but I'm not seeing a sustainable strategy right now. I'm seeing a brand that relies on middle aged narcissism and consumerism.
. I'm trying to 'read between the lines' but I'm sensing that you aren't a fan of WTC and the Kona race?

I hope he's a fan of Kona since he just laid down a 2016 KQ goal in another thread!

Edited by jte463 2013-10-14 1:06 PM
2013-10-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL

Originally posted by Dan-L

Enough people fall for the hype that is the Ironman brand and believe this is a genuine world championships for now but more and more people are catching on that it's just another long distance triathlon that costs five times as much as the others.

Watching and participating in the IM branded races doesn't really say one thing or another about being duped. I'm not going to sit and do nothing, waiting for a perfect brand with no haters to come along.

2013-10-14 8:51 PM
in reply to: newtriguy

User image

Overall it did what it needed to do. I thought it was a lot better last year though.

2013-10-15 6:47 AM
in reply to: USAFR

User image

Originally posted by USAFR

They announcers did explain as that stat screen came up there obviously was a mistake in what was showing. It should have said 17 hrs. /week. It was my first time watching the live stream and I thought it was pretty darn good. Compared to what will be shown on Nov 16th it was fantastic! You think the commercials were irritating from the live stream watch the television version and you'll see not even a 1/4 of the actual race with all the feel good stories and commercial breaks that they run.

My only complaint is that I would have liked too seen more people than just the leaders such as Alexander and Jacobs too see how they were struggling and more coverage of the women would have been good too. As someone said in a previous post they needed a female announcer too cover the women's race. Chrissie Wellington would have been good since she is now retired.

And unless they showed some while I wasn't watching the only time I saw Hines Ward and Gordon Ramsey was coming out of T1 on there bikes. I'll have to check to see if they finished.

they both did - I think Hines in 13:13(ish) and Ramsey in 14:40(ish)
2013-10-15 7:02 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I watched off and on throughout the day. It's not a very polished broadcast, but I'm just thankful we can watch it at all. We are fans of a very fringe sport. We should be glad that there is a broadcast of any kind.
2013-10-15 7:05 AM
in reply to: Mr Cup

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Hines went 13:08:15.
Ramsay went 14:04:48
2013-10-15 7:12 AM
in reply to: Dominion

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Dominion

Hines went 13:08:15.
Ramsay went 14:04:48

Wow, I knew Hines ward was training based on the commercials but had no idea that Gordon Ramsay was training. Good for him and a pretty respectable time.
2013-10-15 8:33 AM
in reply to: Dan-L

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Dan-L
Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Dan-LThe America's cup sailing coverage this year was a lesson in how to innovate sports coverage. I hope the WTC are really trying to improve their coverage and not just milk it for as much cash as they can in the face of increasingly high quality competition.Enough people fall for the hype that is the Ironman brand and believe this is a genuine world championships for now but more and more people are catching on that it's just another long distance triathlon that costs five times as much as the others.I want the IM brand to survive but I'm not seeing a sustainable strategy right now. I'm seeing a brand that relies on middle aged narcissism and consumerism.
. I'm trying to 'read between the lines' but I'm sensing that you aren't a fan of WTC and the Kona race?
I really like Kona and I've really enjoyed the races that the WTC have laid on that I've done - but I think they need to think more broadly than they do at the moment - and if they do that I think we can have a better, more accessible sport. When I look at brands like Challenge, I think they're more innovative, represent more value and could build a product that see's athletes who do long distance triathlon over several years preferring to race with them.

Please explain what Challenge does differently compared to WTC.  I'm genuinely curious since Challenge is so new to N. America.

2013-10-15 8:36 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jtiger
Originally posted by Dominion Hines went 13:08:15. Ramsay went 14:04:48
Wow, I knew Hines ward was training based on the commercials but had no idea that Gordon Ramsay was training. Good for him and a pretty respectable time.

Actually, Ramsay has got some credentials in ultra distance racing and marathons.

2013-10-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Jtiger
Originally posted by Dominion Hines went 13:08:15. Ramsay went 14:04:48

Actually, Ramsay has got some credentials in ultra distance racing and marathons.

would love to gouge from Ramsey on nutrition he used on the bike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Kona live coverage Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Kona Live Coverage???

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 1153 Posts: 4

2010-10-02 1:38 PM Dino019

nyc mary live coverage

Started by sappho96
Views: 887 Posts: 5

2007-11-04 1:19 PM possum

Kona TV Coverage??

Started by jccbulldog
Views: 1336 Posts: 5

2006-10-17 6:28 PM Carl Sohn

Velonews Live Coverage of Tour de Georgia

Started by tech_geezer
Views: 807 Posts: 2

2005-04-22 5:32 PM zakk

*LIVE* Olympic Triathlon Coverage

Started by aphoric
Views: 912 Posts: 13

2004-08-15 1:15 AM aphoric
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 26, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Highlights of Beginner Triathlete Members at the Ironman World Championships

date : October 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
A look at Beginner Triathlete members racing in Kona from qualifying to training to family.
date : November 12, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Four Kona athletes give us their race stories.

date : October 20, 2010
We interview several age-groupers pre-race on their Ironman Kona race thoughts.
date : September 26, 2009
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!