Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-11-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: cjhild

User image

Subject: RE: HITS Palm Springs

Originally posted by cjhild
Originally posted by ChrisM

About 90% I am out.   Dealing with some lingering foot issues, are not getting any worse, but not getting any better as long as I keep running, so I probably need to take a couple weeks + off, to beneit next season.  No point in delaying recovery for a small Oly.

Crap, sorry to hear that. When is your next scheduled race after this one?

April, NOLA 70.3.   Other than some potential run races between now and then

2013-11-26 4:39 PM

User image

About 90% I am out.   Dealing with some lingering foot issues, are not getting any worse, but not getting any better as long as I keep running, so I probably need to take a couple weeks + off, to beneit next season.  No point in delaying recovery for a small Oly.

2X Feel better for NOLA

Justin any early weather forecast? I see its been about mid 60s for the high but what do you think for weather in the 7-9 range. always unsure what to put on to start the bike.
2013-11-26 5:08 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Originally posted by StevenC

2X Feel better for NOLA

Justin any early weather forecast? I see its been about mid 60s for the high but what do you think for weather in the 7-9 range. always unsure what to put on to start the bike.

Absolutely perfect conditions this week, actually it has been in the mid 70s, hopefully it stays this way. At that time of day it is still a little chilly, but my plan is to stick with my tri top on the bike and just pedal harder if I am cold. Right now they are calling for possible rain on the weekend, too early to believe that though. I am thinking maybe a long sleeve shirt in transition heading out onto the run if it is too cold. Are you guys hitting packet pickup Friday? My daughter and I will be down Friday to get ours.
2013-11-26 5:09 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Pretty far out, not something you would just run on for the race and heal up after?
2013-11-26 7:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pretty far out, not something you would just run on for the race and heal up after?

I might..  that will be 10 days' rest.   Need to check the hotel cancellation policies and go from there     Got confirmation of no stress fx so my experience with these things is anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks.   I got a pretty good tri club deal for HITS entry so I wouldn't be taking much of a hit by missing it

Oddly, I had a similar but different foot injury for HITS 2012, and swam/biked hard then backed off on the run

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-26 7:02 PM
2013-11-27 11:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by StevenC

2X Feel better for NOLA

Absolutely perfect conditions this week, actually it has been in the mid 70s, hopefully it stays this way. At that time of day it is still a little chilly, but my plan is to stick with my tri top on the bike and just pedal harder if I am cold. Right now they are calling for possible rain on the weekend, too early to believe that though. I am thinking maybe a long sleeve shirt in transition heading out onto the run if it is too cold. Are you guys hitting packet pickup Friday? My daughter and I will be down Friday to get ours.

Thanks, sounds great. probably do the same but use arm warmers. can always discard. We will be out there on Friday for packet pickup and bike drop off. probably do both about the same time 4-5p then grab an early dinner. Don't think I will make it out there for lake swim practice. My daughter might bail on the open. I think she is a little intimidated and I don't want to push her.

2013-12-02 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Chris- status check, how's the foot, are you planning on racing?

Steven- cool, we will keep an eye out for you guys at packet pickup, we will be there around the same time. My daughter is getting pretty nervous too, I'm trying to get her to just enjoy the day, take it all in as her first experience and "just finish." She is super competitive though and wants to win her AG...we'll see how it goes.

Weather update- great weather out here right now, supposed to be 80 today but cooling into the weekend, at this point I believe the forecast.

Edited by cjhild 2013-12-02 11:27 AM
2013-12-02 2:11 PM

User image

Originally posted by cjhild Chris- status check, how's the foot, are you planning on racing? Steven- cool, we will keep an eye out for you guys at packet pickup, we will be there around the same time. My daughter is getting pretty nervous too, I'm trying to get her to just enjoy the day, take it all in as her first experience and "just finish." She is super competitive though and wants to win her AG...we'll see how it goes. Weather update- great weather out here right now, supposed to be 80 today but cooling into the weekend, at this point I believe the forecast.

Thanks for asking.  Been off running for a week, but still not where I would like it to be 6 or so days out.   I have until Thursday to cancel the Friday hotel, so will wait until then.  Right now still leaning toward not racing.  Was really looking forward to the entire weekend too...   but really don't like starting a race I know I won't finish.   Didn't used to care about that.

We just got back from Cambria, I love running up there but mountain biked instead.

2013-12-03 9:57 PM

User image

I'm doing the half on Saturday, and it looks like it's gonna be a cold one! Any advice as far as layers of clothing are concerned? Not too concerned about the swim or the run, but wet tri-shorts+ 20 mph in 40-50 degrees... yikes!
2013-12-04 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Yeah, it is going to be cold, the weather out here is definitely trending towards colder temps. This will be my first race where I am concerned about it being cold. I am doing the olympic and thinking about either a long sleeve tech shirt or a long sleeve cycling jersey. But wrestling while wet with a long sleeve anything doesn't sound too appealing. I really hope you guys doing the full or half on Saturday get away without any rain, I'll be pulling for you.
2013-12-04 10:09 AM
in reply to: adamchill

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
I'm trying to wrap my brain around this too. I ride with the Desert bike club, so am totally calibrated for what I'd do on a group ride in La Quinta, but can barely grasp doing a tri in a cold spell. The same topic is up at ST here.

It looks like it'll be in the 40s for the sprint, so I'll at least wear a jacket, maybe more.

2013-12-04 11:44 AM
in reply to: Pacific John

User image

Yeah, stay warm guys.  Not so bummed about missing the getting out of 58 degree water to ride hard in 45 degree air temps....Weather will be perfect for the run though

2013-12-04 12:15 PM

User image

I guess just doing my fist half wasn't tough enough, weather now has to be a factor. Been reading the ST tread and thinking of doing a full change for bike...dry tri shorts, long sleeve warm compression top, short sleeve bike jersey, long finger gloves, thin beanie. and hope the rain holds off. Sound about right??
2013-12-04 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Yep, for a half, a quick change takes a small fraction of your time. As a veteran of two HIMs, I'd say it's all about having a solid run, so I'd do what it takes to feel good off the saddle.
2013-12-04 3:01 PM

User image

I'm with you, I think I'll be doing a complete change into dry clothes. It's my first half as well, and I think the only thing that could make it any tougher is for La Quinta to grow a mountain in the middle of the course . I've never tried a fast change of tri shorts under a towel. Let's hope for no wardrobe malfunctions!
2013-12-08 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Do any of you have good GPS numbers for the sprint? Mine are rough, but I have 12.3 on the bike, 2.9 on the run. I have no idea how long the swim was.

What a cold day! I've never had feet so cold on a run. It felt like I had something wadded up in my Meb specials.

Edited by Pacific John 2013-12-08 7:38 PM

2013-12-09 10:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Did the Olympic, looks like both were a little short, I had 24.7 on the bike and 5.9 on the run. I was really happy with the weather, water didn't seem all that bad, I skipped the long sleeve jersey, gloves, and skull cap under the helmet for the bike. I was fine on the bike, feet were frozen for the first mile of the run, I did put on a long sleeve tech shirt for the run but could have gone without it. Did the open with my daughter, she killed me, I think that one mile run was harder than my IMAZ marathon. I'll never do two races in one day again, brutal.
2013-12-09 2:35 PM

User image

I showed 12.77 miles for the half, so maybe a touch sort on all the courses. With the headwind on the last 2 miles, I'll call it an even 13.1 . Congrats on everyone who finished any distance. The cold in itself made it a real challenging day.
2014-03-24 2:24 AM

User image

fresno, California

Oly for me too :-)   roger 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS Palm Springs Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Sprint Course : Official Thread

Started by chrismcturnan
Views: 1221 Posts: 2

2012-11-04 10:29 PM spjon25

HIT Palm Springs Pages: 1 2 3

Started by chrismcturnan
Views: 4718 Posts: 65

2012-12-03 10:58 PM amymengel

HITS Palm Springs $150 for Half Iron til Monday!

Started by obohlman
Views: 1249 Posts: 6

2012-09-01 11:28 PM STut

For those interested-HITS Palm Springs Discount

Started by spjon25
Views: 2040 Posts: 6

2012-08-09 8:02 PM obohlman

Tour de Palm Springs/Palm Springs Half Marathon

Started by jackson61802
Views: 3189 Posts: 7

2011-01-14 6:06 PM TriBabe2006
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT talks one-on-one with HITS race director, Mark Wilson

date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Bench Press - Dumbbell, Palms Facing-In strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 24, 2006
author : Team BT
Wrist Curl-Palm Down strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.