Set-up Inc
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 26s
Overall Rank = 53/267
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/46
Pre-race routine:

Yogurt, 2 enduralytes, gatorade before leaving for race which was only 20 min drive.
Event warmup:

Reverse order warmup. Ran about 1/2 mile, Biked about 2 miles, Swam about 400y doing drills and 1 short little sprint.
Swim
  • 13m 32s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The calmest swim I have ever had in my life. Course was definitely long. Came out of the water #2. No complaints there. The #1 guy had me by about 30 secs. The 1st 200y felt awesome and I felt like I was just sailing through the water and it just kept getting better. Picked up the pace with 200m to go. Last year I was 3/50 in the AG. This year 2/46. No complaints. Times might seem a little slow, but it was a great swim and I'm still thinking that the course was a bit long. My sighting was on for the most part and I was swimming a 1:20-1:25 pace.
What would you do differently?:

Consistency in the pool is the key to getting the next few seconds. Hit all the swim workouts.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I've said on my last 8 or so race reports that I need to improve my mount. I've gotta get my butt moving and get this detail worked out once and for all.

Good T1. They actually gave age group rankings for this. Was 5 out of 46. Not bad. Could drop about 10 more seconds if I could learn to get into the shoes while on the bike.
Bike
  • 44m 12s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

A little disappointed with my bike, but not too much. 1 minute slower than last year unfortunately. :(

As I was coming in off the bike, I saw my coach on the run course already heading back from the turnaround/halfway point. He had about a 2 min lead on everyone else.

My bike is just not where it should be. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get faster. When I'm out there biking, my confidence is shot and when I get passed it drives me crazy that I'm not the one doing the passing.

I went so hard on this bike that I nearly Wendi'd (chucked). I feel like my form has improved quite a bit over last year, but I just don't seem to be able to keep the legs turning at a high cadence and a high gear for long periods of time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Awesome T2. Ranked #1 out of 46.

Fastest T1 was 36 seconds. I supposed I just need to run a little faster after dismounting.
Run
  • 24m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Very slippery due to rain the overnight. Most of the roots were chalked out. I didn't feel good until the turnaround and then things just started clicking. Had one really bad ankle twist that brought me to a walk for about 10 seconds, then got back into it.

Last year at this time, I was at the top of my game with running and biking. I've finally managed to come close to last year's run time so I think I'm finally making some progress.

Improve cadence - modify stride when going up the steep trail uphills.
Post race
Warm down:

Most races after crossing the line, I'll take 2-3 mins and I'm good to go. This race I felt like crap after stopping. Sat down and got my head together. Tried to cool off.

Found the family. I notice that the more and more races you do, the more and more people that you have to talk to after the race is over. Its kind of funny how you can sit and talk for another hour and a half after the race is over when that's about the same amount of time that you spent donig the actual race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Capability on the bike to hit the fast gears and high cadence.

Event comments:

Again, this race is very special to me. Its the race that got me off of the Lazyboy and opened my eyes to the world of triathlon. In 2 weeks will be my 2 year anniversary of that moment when I decided to change things up. I always love going back to those first couple of workouts and see how painful the first couple of weeks were and how short the distances were and how slow the first couple of workouts were.

Thanks to all of you out there that have been so supportive as well. Its races like this that make me realize what a great family I have as well as a great group of friends out there in BT land that I have too.

Last updated: 2006-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:32 | 820 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/46
Overall: 21/267
Performance: Good
Suit: Trishorts
Course: Funky shaped 4 sided course. Swimming counterclockwise - 3 turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:44:12 | 15 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/46
Overall: 118/267
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Hourglass shaped. Good mixture of rolling terrain and big bad hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:05 | 03.11 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/46
Overall: 91/267
Performance: Average
Course: 2 miles trails, 1 mile pavement out and back type course. This sucker blows. The first half is mostly uphill. The trails are evil. LOL!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-30 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Buckner Mission Man Triathlon

2006-07-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: #497426

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Buckner Mission Man Triathlon

great race jeff. it's unbelievable that you've come so far in only 2 years!! that's a stunning T2 job, great run, and solid bike - do'nt get too bumme about getting passed; at least you already have everyone beat on the swim. just find a way to turn the getting passed into a motivation.

awesome job!! 

2006-07-30 9:26 PM

User image

Regular
Hey great race. Special race to me as well for the same reason. I've done it every year. I was 6th in your AG on the swim, but actually swam a faster pace at the White Lake Half. I was surprised. Nice to know the course may have been long. I'll do this race as long as the hold it! Nice job!
2006-07-30 10:49 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Great race, Jeff.  In two short years you've mastered the art...and I'll never figure out how you swim that friggin fast. 

You're a better triathlete, and you've grown.  And mark my words.  I think a lot of things have come together for you this year, and a lot more are due before the end of the year. 

And...maybe for next year, we get a few knuckleheads together and do a 'bike camp' weekend.  Lotsa miles.  Lotsa pace.  It always helps to ride with someone that pushes you.

2006-07-31 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Great race Jeff! Awesome swim, all those swim workouts are paying off for sure. Nice pace on the run considering the course and the heat. Keep up the good work, if you've come this far in two years just think where you will be in two more.
2006-07-31 11:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
As usual, you are the Man. Great to see you, Denise and the rest of the family. Did you say the swim course was long? Imagine that!

I'll try to get my report done tonight and get some pictures posted.

2006-07-31 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Looks like you were on a "Mission" man!! Great swim and great race. I am sure Wendi appreciated the acknowledgement in your report.
2006-08-03 4:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
great job. I envy your swimming and biking abilities. Sounds like the thing to work on on the bike is the psychological aspect of beating up on yourself when someone passes you. Once you can stop doing that to yourself, you can get in your focus of what you need to do to maximize your race, then your bike sorts itself out and the run may even get faster and then you can start being in the top three of the whole race, not just our age group.

Great race.

Dick
2006-08-03 8:27 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race Jeff and uber fast as always!!! : ) MPH on the bike is nothing to sneeze at!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buckner Mission Man Triathlon Rss Feed