General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon before I tackle this IM training?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-22 5:31 PM

User image

Subject: Marathon before I tackle this IM training??
I am new to the Ironman training and haven't ran a full marathon in about 7 years. I ran five before that and enjoyed
it but was somewhat slow back then. I run 2-4 half marathons each year now and have done the HIM distance
and LOVE it. I don't mind going out on the weekends for a 15-16 mile run but haven't pushed past that distance
in quite some time.

I was contemplating running a spring marathon- not planning on breaking any records but hoping to set a PR since
my previous PR is 4 hours. I run my half marathons around 1:40 now so I shouldn't have a problem breaking 4
hours.

Wondering if you would recommend doing this or if it's too big of a risk for injury, not necessary, etc. Or,
is this something that's important so I can get over my marathon jitters, run the full distance before the IM
and get used to training like that again?

I would run the marathon between February and April and my IM is in Florida in November, 2014. I do have
a history of stress fractures in my feet so that's why I backed off on running 40-50 miles per week.

Thoughts?

2013-11-22 7:54 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Marathon before I tackle this IM training??
You don't need to do another marathon before starting IM training. I've done exactly one IM, so take this for what its worth. I've also done exactly one marathon, and that was the end of the IM. The key for me is the bike. You will need to ride your bike, then ride your bike, and then when you think you are ready on the bike, ride some more. Joking, a little bit, but you get the idea. If prepping for Marathon, and really given how far apart in time they are, recovering, doesn't get in the way of bike prep, then its probably ok, if you really want to do it. But, a stand alone marathon is much different than the marathon in an IM. Its about getting off the bike ready to run, not about pure run fitness.
2013-11-23 12:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You certainly don't need to, but the timing is right (1 month recovery then ~6 months IM specific training). So the questions I'd focus on are motivation and injury potential. After an A race, I have hard time jumping into another major training cycle (after recovery), but some people obviously don't. For sure, don't underestimated the sustained motivation the IM training will require. On injuries, you mention potential for stress fractures... I think marathon training is about as hard on the body as anything, so I'd be careful there. All that said, if you're motivated for it and are good at self-monitoring, go for it. I ran my first marathon a couple months before starting my first IM training and it worked out quite well for me. 

2013-11-24 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Unless you want to run a Mary, I'd skip it. IM Mary vs stand along Mary is huge and completely different.

What is your strength and weakness in s/b/r in tris? I would focus on what is your weakness if that is swimming or biking I'd for sure skip the Mary.

2013-11-24 11:38 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yups, no need to. If you want to it gives you a strong run base, allow 4-5 months to build from your mary to the IM and you are fine unless you get an injury. (I wouldn't do a mary within 3 months of an IM). When I do a winter mary I cross bike 2x and swim 1x per week.
2013-11-25 12:49 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by kmac1346

You don't need to do another marathon before starting IM training. I've done exactly one IM, so take this for what its worth. I've also done exactly one marathon, and that was the end of the IM. The key for me is the bike. You will need to ride your bike, then ride your bike, and then when you think you are ready on the bike, ride some more. Joking, a little bit, but you get the idea. If prepping for Marathon, and really given how far apart in time they are, recovering, doesn't get in the way of bike prep, then its probably ok, if you really want to do it. But, a stand alone marathon is much different than the marathon in an IM. Its about getting off the bike ready to run, not about pure run fitness.

I agree with this - longest run I did in IM training was 32km but a ton of runs between 15-20km - and a lot of them were bricks - which I think really helped me on the day nad even then my run was still slower than I'd expected.

2013-11-25 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I agree with what everyone else said. No need to do another marathon and a stand alone is totally different than a IM marathon...............I think this is very individual. There are people who need that mental "I CAN RUN A MARATHON" thing and need to prove they have done the distance...but you have already run one before.  If you want to do it and your body tolerates running go ahead but there is no need really. Most coaches cap the lon gruns at 3 hours in IM training.  Its kind of apples and oranges kind of thing. 

2013-11-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: Socks

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Yes this is a very individual thing.  

Being older I  just qualified for AARP  :-(      I also looked at IM with a 2+ year time horizon.

2010 (year before IM)    I ran 4 marathons  and 3 HIM   overkill I'm sure.   But I wanted to make sure my body really knew distance and things would be predictable for me on IM day.      So built the run. 

2011  well um I had to have toe joint surgery end of Feb (IM-WI was Sept of same year)  the surgery/recovery was about a month  maybe 6 weeks of zero running.    I was back in the water 2 weeks after and back on the bike a week after that.   Anyhow.   had a seriously solid running base right before.     Then used the half marathon to build back up  so ran like 4 or 5 of them early in 2011    While I never got my speed quite back.   I KNEW IT.     So I REALLY went after the bike.  I have to agree with an earlier reply.   TRAIN the SNOT out of the bike.     I like to say "its all about the bike"   and well  it really is.  

I know we are both entered onto IM-FLA  this year.   will be fun tracking training with you.   

While understanding the injury risk of RACING the marathon.  I think you SHOULD!   then get on the bike and really train hard on  it.  and keep up with your maintenance long runs.   Its good to know what you have as a base for the run in your back pocket.    

2013-11-26 6:31 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Originally posted by oriolepwr

Yes this is a very individual thing.  

Being older I  just qualified for AARP  :-(      I also looked at IM with a 2+ year time horizon.

2010 (year before IM)    I ran 4 marathons  and 3 HIM   overkill I'm sure.   But I wanted to make sure my body really knew distance and things would be predictable for me on IM day.      So built the run. 

2011  well um I had to have toe joint surgery end of Feb (IM-WI was Sept of same year)  the surgery/recovery was about a month  maybe 6 weeks of zero running.    I was back in the water 2 weeks after and back on the bike a week after that.   Anyhow.   had a seriously solid running base right before.     Then used the half marathon to build back up  so ran like 4 or 5 of them early in 2011    While I never got my speed quite back.   I KNEW IT.     So I REALLY went after the bike.  I have to agree with an earlier reply.   TRAIN the SNOT out of the bike.     I like to say "its all about the bike"   and well  it really is.  

I know we are both entered onto IM-FLA  this year.   will be fun tracking training with you.   

While understanding the injury risk of RACING the marathon.  I think you SHOULD!   then get on the bike and really train hard on  it.  and keep up with your maintenance long runs.   Its good to know what you have as a base for the run in your back pocket.    

This is funny because this takes me back to a different post that was this discussion exactly. I agree 100% about the bike making or breaking the race but I know plenty of others who would disagree. I biked so much before my HIM and came off my bike feeling GREAT on race day. All of the biking paid off for sure! Sure, I ran lots of speed work, tempo, and long runs every other week but nothing too out of the ordinary for me. I did the same on my bike and that was different! Thanks for this info.
2013-11-29 4:30 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
No need to do a marathon. You've done them before. You know what it is like. And, again, an IM marathon is totally different than a stand alone marathon.
2013-12-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by japarker24

No need to do a marathon. You've done them before. You know what it is like. And, again, an IM marathon is totally different than a stand alone marathon.

I agree. I am in the same situation as the OP in that I have run several marathons and am signed up for my first IM next August. I have a friend that wants me to run a spring marathon with him but since the IM is my A race I declined and will run a spring HM instead. I usually take about 2-3 weeks to fully recover from a marathon and would rather get in some quality training for my IM during that time.

2013-12-04 2:48 PM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

I've done 3 IM's and one marathon. I really didn't enjoy the marathon (Amsterdam) and I didn't feel like I got anything out of it. It was a like an IM without any of the good bits!

For me a marathon takes too much out of me and if I was going to do a more beneficial and perhaps equivalent training session then the week I day a Friday off and do back to back centuries on the bike (Friday then Saturday) and then a half marathon training run on Sunday on trails (so less impact on legs) gives me the best bang for buck. I'd do this late Spring for a mid-Summer marathon.
2013-12-22 5:37 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Expert
Western WI
Originally posted by KathyG

Unless you want to run a Mary, I'd skip it. IM Mary vs stand along Mary is huge and completely different.

What is your strength and weakness in s/b/r in tris? I would focus on what is your weakness if that is swimming or biking I'd for sure skip the Mary.

I agree 100% with KathyG. especially "IM Mary vs stand alone Mary is huge and completely different." And since you've done some Mary's in the past, you know you can do it and don't have that specific mental hurdle. Focus on your weakness and lengthen out the IM training a bit. Good luck!
2013-12-27 6:14 AM
in reply to: TriRx

User image

Regular
Morton IL
Need no, but if you want to I dont see a problem. This maybe because I am doing one a little over 4 months before IMWI with buddies from work. I know a few that did it this year and had a pretty strong Ironman performances.

I have talked to tri coaches about this and injuries aside they generally dont like getting off schedule that much. You push long runs and forsake weekend training to do it, you taper, race, recover. Off schedule even if you dont get hurt. I understand the issues with training/ potential injury but I will finish it with my friends anyway. In addition I will do a few more shorter races in 2014. The idea of training toward 1 big A race scares me. So many people get hurt and never make it to start or have something happen on race day and DNF.

Sorry to ramble! I had a mental battle going regarding this question for months before I decided to just do it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon before I tackle this IM training?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How did you organize yourself to tackle Ironman training

Started by juniperjen
Views: 3507 Posts: 23

2011-11-24 12:08 PM juniperjen

IM marathon training pace

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1011 Posts: 2

2008-10-13 10:30 PM splerph

Marathons during IM training?

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 1375 Posts: 11

2007-06-09 6:13 AM qtownmom

Best first IM and longest training ride for IM

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1503 Posts: 8

2006-07-12 10:47 PM westfried

1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM

Started by prof40
Views: 1382 Posts: 4

2014-02-26 3:44 PM jonnyo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.