Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Mike Tomlin should be suspended Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-29 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: Mike Tomlin should be suspended
At least 1 game for the move last night. It's too bad Jones didn't run into him and get the automatic TD.

2013-11-29 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4906069

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Mike Tomlin should be suspended
Blame the ref that was right there for not throwing a penalty.
2013-11-29 1:20 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by crowny2

The Jets set the precedent. At bet, it's 15 yard unsportsmanlike on the bench.

You're reaching for a reason to exact revenge for Super Bowl XL in which the Seabags were outplayed.
2013-11-29 1:51 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by pitt83

Originally posted by crowny2

The Jets set the precedent. At bet, it's 15 yard unsportsmanlike on the bench.

You're reaching for a reason to exact revenge for Super Bowl XL in which the Seabags were outplayed.

So a coach standing on the field of play and interfering with a kick return is me reaching huh? If I recall the last time a coach was trying to mess with the sidelines, he was basically kicked out of the NFL. All I'm saying is Tomlin should be suspended one game.
2013-11-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I agree he should have some type of fine or suspension imposed upon him. He knew what he was doing by standing there and it made Jones cut an angle and go inward instead of down the sideline. I am happy my Ravens still got the win, if we would have lost....
2013-11-29 6:23 PM

User image

Champion

2013-11-29 6:29 PM
in reply to: pitt83

User image

Elite
Boise

Thank you Al Gore: The innerwebz has spoken:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1870105-the-internet-turns-mike-...

Nice.
2013-11-29 6:49 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by JoshR

Thank you Al Gore: The innerwebz has spoken:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1870105-the-internet-turns-mike-...

Nice.

Soul Train cracked me up!
2013-12-01 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4906124

User image

Elite
Boise
2013-12-02 10:03 AM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
… you would have felt like Packers fans did when the refs jobbed them out of a win over the Seabags last year?

2013-12-02 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Can we suspend the officials from the Washington/Philly game last night while we are at it?

Possibly the single officiating bungle I have ever seen. It wasn't just a missed call or a bad call, it was just blatantly wrong.

2013-12-02 6:30 PM
in reply to: uclamatt2007

User image

Elite

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Can we suspend the officials from the Washington/Philly game last night while we are at it? Possibly the single officiating bungle I have ever seen. It wasn't just a missed call or a bad call, it was just blatantly wrong.

Que?

2013-12-02 6:44 PM

User image

Originally posted by uclamatt2007 Can we suspend the officials from the Washington/Philly game last night while we are at it? Possibly the single officiating bungle I have ever seen. It wasn't just a missed call or a bad call, it was just blatantly wrong.

It was bad officiating.  Well...terrible communication.  The correct call was actually made (3rd down), but the head ref assumed that signaling and yelling "3rd down" to both sidelines was sufficient communication of the correct call.  He was obviously wrong in assuming that...but I have seen far worse. 

2013-12-02 7:12 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

The officiating was so bad that the Giants won the Washington/Philly game last night. 

2013-12-02 7:12 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by Jason N

It was bad officiating.  Well...terrible communication.  The correct call was actually made (3rd down), but the head ref assumed that signaling and yelling "3rd down" to both sidelines was sufficient communication of the correct call.  He was obviously wrong in assuming that...but I have seen far worse. 

The head linejudge ruled it a first down and waved the chain crew down the field. Shanahan said today that he asked the near official for a measurement the official told him that one wasn't needed as it was a first down.

That's more than bad communication. How can you not stop the clock to get the officials on the same page. This isn't a high school game.
2013-12-02 7:17 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Originally posted by the bear

The officiating was so bad that the Giants won the Washington/Philly game last night. 

Meh, the NFC East is so bad that its not worth paying attention to which teams are playing. They're interchangeable.

2013-12-04 1:31 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
So Tomlin ended up with a 100k fine and a possible loss of a draft pick this spring. I'd say that's a more severe penalty than the suspension I proposed.
2013-12-04 2:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by uclamatt2007
Originally posted by Jason N

The head linejudge ruled it a first down and waved the chain crew down the field. Shanahan said today that he asked the near official for a measurement the official told him that one wasn't needed as it was a first down. That's more than bad communication. How can you not stop the clock to get the officials on the same page. This isn't a high school game.

The head line judge signaled for the chains to move, and after that happened, you can see the head ref notice the situation, and clearly signal to both sidelines that it's 3rd down.  He did it in a manner with more enthusiasm than normal understanding that the down markers were incorrect.  He was absolutely wrong in assuming that signal was enough communication to overrule the linesman and inform the coaches and players.  But 3rd down was still the correct call.  If Washington clearly did get the 1st down, the chains moved, then the head ref overrules at the last minute, lets the Redskins run a play (thus nullifying the ability to review), then that would be a wrong call and a huge mistake.

Again...it was still horrible officiating, but not nearly as bad as giving a team 5 downs or botching the call on a made/missed extra point...even when they got to view the replay that clearly showed it was no good...and they still called it good. 

2013-12-05 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

What does everyone think about the penalty imposed by the NFL on Tomlin?

$100,000 probably doesn't amount to much of an impact for him financially (anyone know if it even really comes directly from him?), but the loss of draft picks could sure change some behavior. That is more harsh than I would expect, unless it is like a 7th round pick or something.

Personally, I think it would have been interesting to suspend him for like a quarter. Disruptive enough to make the other 31 coaches take notice and make sure they stay off the field, but no real long term damage.

2013-12-05 8:52 AM
in reply to: wingsfan

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by wingsfan

$100,000 probably doesn't amount to much of an impact for him financially (anyone know if it even really comes directly from him?), but the loss of draft picks could sure change some behavior. That is more harsh than I would expect, unless it is like a 7th round pick or something.

Personally, I think it would have been interesting to suspend him for like a quarter. Disruptive enough to make the other 31 coaches take notice and make sure they stay off the field, but no real long term damage.

Until they make it a major point to every coach and flag them every time, it won't make a big difference.  I think a draft pick is way beyond the point be taken stage.  The fine is steep, and will probably be covered by the team instead of the coach through some sort of compensation, but that is just my opinion on the crap we call PROFESSIONAL sports.

The same crap goes on with basketball coaches at the professional level and college level.  They need to make it a point that it won't be tolerated by the coaches and make them pay, not just money, but time away from being able to coach.

2013-12-05 9:11 AM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by flip18436572

Until they make it a major point to every coach and flag them every time, it won't make a big difference.  I think a draft pick is way beyond the point be taken stage.  The fine is steep, and will probably be covered by the team instead of the coach through some sort of compensation, but that is just my opinion on the crap we call PROFESSIONAL sports.

The same crap goes on with basketball coaches at the professional level and college level.  They need to make it a point that it won't be tolerated by the coaches and make them pay, not just money, but time away from being able to coach.

I think the draft pick is because apparently the league sent out a memo the day before this happened and discussed sideline infractions. Next day this happens, you lose a draft pick and I highly doubt any coach comes near the white line again.

2013-12-05 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

Originally posted by JoshR
Originally posted by flip18436572

I think the draft pick is because apparently the league sent out a memo the day before this happened and discussed sideline infractions. Next day this happens, you lose a draft pick and I highly doubt any coach comes near the white line again.

The same thing happened during spygate:

The Jets were taping the patriots in '06 - the patriots told the jets to stop and removed the video-grapher.  During the off season, the NFL issued a memo stating that video taping can oply happen in designated area's.  The first game of the season after the memo, the Jets called the NFL to report the patriots were still taping, and well you all know the history.  So the patriots didnt necessarily loose a pick b/c they were taping, but lost it b/c they violated the taping rule right after the memo went out and Goodell wanted to send a message -  'you will respect my authority'.  

another example of why I think it will be a harsh penalty - If you tell someone not to do something, and they go ahead and do again right away, youre more likely to issue a more severe punishment based on the lack of time between warning and infraction.  I know I am guilty of saying  'how can you forget? - I just told you not to do it'.  Had Tomlin done this next season, or maybe even later in the season maybe the draft pick wouldnt be on the table because some time had passed.  But the timing of the rule/memo and infraction is too close to ignore and Goodell will probably come down a little harder with the penalty than warranted based on what he's done in the past.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Mike Tomlin should be suspended Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Texas Tech Suspends Mike Leach Pages: 1 2

Started by bradleyd3
Views: 2382 Posts: 43

2010-01-02 9:13 PM bradleyd3

McCain suspends Campaign

Started by CBarnes
Views: 642 Posts: 5

2008-09-24 3:17 PM Scout7

McCain to suspend campaign and ask to delay debate Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2706 Posts: 66

2008-09-25 4:39 PM crowny2

Romney to Suspend Campaign??? Pages: 1 2

Started by mr2tony
Views: 1588 Posts: 38

2008-02-08 10:54 AM coachese

Basso suspended for two years for attempted doping

Started by Spokes
Views: 533 Posts: 10

2007-06-15 8:31 PM kaqphin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : February 21, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Discussions on 1/2 Ironman race placement 3 weeks from a first IM, treadmill to outside run transition, 4 days on/5 off workday training schedule, trainer workouts and 30 days of swimming to get fast.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.