Wauconda Park District
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 5s
Overall Rank = 16/200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/20
Pre-race routine:

This was only my second race, however, I was as prepared as I could be. I keep my boat on this lake and its only 20 minutes from my house. So in the couple of weeks prior to the race, I had swam in the lake (twice), rode the bike course, and ran the run course. I am so glad I was able to do this, as the run/bike course was much hillier than anticipated.

The alarm was set for 4am, but I got up at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep. I have to find a better way to calm my nerves before races. My parents came into town from Janesville, so they could watch the kids in the morning, while my wife and I went to the race. I had a bananna when I got up, then a clif bar on the ride there. I had packed the car the night before, so we were good to go.

I was one of the first 20 people or so, there, so I rode my bike, checked the gears, pumped up the tires and took it over to transition. I got a great spot on the end, but later some guy came in and put his bike basically on top of mine. I think he got penalized 2 minutes for that maneuver, though (improper bike racking or something). I had left the wet suit in the car, b/c of rumors that the water would be too warm to wear them. We found out shortly after that we could not use them, which, of course added to my anxiety.

I checked out the water and ramp up to the transition area and then went over to the transition area to make sure everything was where I needed it. I then saw Hangloose. He wasn't racing, but had a HS friend and me to watch. He had some extra stuff for me to use (CO2 cartridge, race belt etc.). It was great to have my wife, as well as John (Hangloose) there (even if he was scoping me out to see how to pummel me at Pleasant Prairie. We actually worked out our strategy together, which seemed to work (more on that later).

Event warmup:

I hopped on the shuttle bus to take us across the lake, and once there warmed up with a 150-200m swim to check out the lake. It was refreshing, b/c even at 6am, it was hot out.
Swim
  • 13m 30s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was nervous for the swim, w/o the wetsuit, but I had a plan and was going to stick to it. Although, I am not the best swimmer, I can hold my own for about 100m. The plan was to go all out for the first 1/3 of the swim to avoid the other swimmers in my wave. Then I would settle into my pace for the next 1/3 and then go all out again for the last 1/3..rest on the bike. We started on the beach, which was new, but very cool. I tried to run for as long as possible, and I held the lead for about 150m before being passed by three of the dolphins in my wave. I tried to draft off them, but they were moving pretty good and it didn't last long.

The swim was across the lake and they had a bunch of buoys, which made it easy to site, except they were on the left side and I breath on the right. I sited well, though and only had to pause once as my goggles were all fogged up.

The swim was a big improvement over my first race (chopped off 4 minutes). Not that I am much faster, but learning to site, etc. paid big dividends.
What would you do differently?:

Use anti-fog before race
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Pretty good transition. I don't have clipless pedals, yet, so my big debate was whether or not to wear socks. I chose to, and was glad I did. Since, we didn't have wetsuits, the T1 time went well. I cruised past a few people and hopped on my bike moving at a good pace.

Nothing really, except I will have to practice T1 w/ my new pedals which go on the bike today.
Bike
  • 42m 17s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

The strategy here was to HAMMER the bike. I had talked this over emails with Hangloose (we were like two kids in a candy store talking about this race, which helped get me motivated). I raced on the bike, like there was not going to be a run. I mean its 5k, right? (more on that concept during the run).

Well this was a PR for me, and much faster than I do in training. Although, the speed shows 21.2mph, my bike computer had 20.8mph and only 14.8 miles. Very happy with the results considering the hills and the little wind we had on the other side of the lake.

For a sprint, I like this strategy, however, I will save more energy for the run in my upcoming Olympic.
Transition 2
  • 00m 26s
Comments:

This was quick. No clipless shoes, so grab belt and hat and go. I actually tied for first in the T2 category!!

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was when I first noticed the heat. It started with the first mile being uphill. I knew I went harder on the bike, which was going to make the run harder. For the 1st mile I was thinking why the hell did I go so hard on that bike?? But after that, I started to settle into/around 8 minute pace for the next mile. The last 1.1 mile, I really started to kick it in and was under a 7.5min/mile pace.

I am very pleased with this run. In my first tri, I was at an 8:37 pace, and this one was under 8:00.

Some more bricks. More run training.

This is kind of funny. After watching the Triathlon on TV, I thought it would be cool to dump water over my head to keep cool. Well I ended up missing most of my head and it went all over my shoe. Very wet shoe/sock for the rest of the run. I will be more careful next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Talking with my supporters. Eating some oranges/bananas, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the heat? and possibly expending too much energy on the bike. More bricks are also in order. Will have to do some more running, as well.

Event comments:

This was the 1st annual, and I will definitely go back. They were extremely organized and had an announcer (emcee) as well. They had motorcycle assitance, if you had a flat. The folks at the Wauconda Park District have to be very happy with this event. It went off w/o any hitches.

I would also like to thank all of the BT'ers who have helped me learn about this sport. I am hooked! And the information from the people on this site is priceless. I am hoping that I can give back as much as I have learned to this community.

Last updated: 2006-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:30 | 800 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 30/200
Performance: Good
Some of this time included the run to T1 (about 100 yds)
Suit: Used Tri-shorts - Wet suits not allowed
Course: Swim across the lake. Very well buoyed.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:17 | 15 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 22/200
Heart rate was about 10 bpm more than training, and even 15 bpm on those hills.
Wind: Little
Course: A couple of rolling hills and a few good climbs. It was well laid out and the roads were in pretty good shape.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/20
Overall: 26/200
1st lap was kind of slow, combination of bike and hills and couldn't get the legs going. My HRM had Mile 1: 8:51, Mile 2: 7:58, Last 1.1 Mile: 7:31
Course: Somewhat hilly, especially at the beginning.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-01 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: Wauconda Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-01 10:37 AM
in reply to: #499321

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Wauconda Sprint Triathlon

Scott, great race!  It was fun to be there.  And I wasn't scouting you.  Between talking to your wife, looking for other people I knew and talking to the support guys who did IMCDA I barely had time to notice your performance. 

And folks, he's being modest about his T1 mount.  This is the way to get on a bike!  (he claims he almost wiped right after but it LOOKED good).  Running full on leap onto the bike seat.  Cool.

Finally, the neighbors look at us tri-dorks weird enough when we practice transitions, are you really going to practice dumping water on your head? 

2006-08-01 6:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
IL

Awesome job out there!  That's an awesome time for your second ever triathlon, really impressive!  Are you going to be racing Chicago this year?

Out of curiosity, where did you get the split data?  I can't find any times on waucondaparks.com except for team times and age group/overall times with no splits broken out.

2006-08-01 8:09 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Very nice race Mister!!!!!!!   So HOW are you going to pummel John (HL) at Pleasant Prairie ??? 
2006-08-02 8:33 AM
in reply to: #499985

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

tupuppy - 2006-08-01 8:09 PM Very nice race Mister!!!!!!!   So HOW are you going to pummel John (HL) at Pleasant Prairie ??? 

Hey, I resent that!  He may have faster race times but obviously my overwhelming post count is going to make the difference on race day.

2006-08-02 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

What an awesome job on your second race!  And what a fun race report to read too!  Good job!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed