General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Qualifying for Boston and Age Group Nationals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-03 10:47 AM

User image

Indianapolis
Subject: Qualifying for Boston and Age Group Nationals
It's been a while since I posted on here, so first of all, hi! I completed my first full distance ironman in November and afterward found myself wondering, now what? What is the next challenge? After talking to my coach, I have decided this is my year to try and qualify for both the Boston Marathon and Age Group Nationals at the Olympic Distance. For anyone who has done either, I have a few questions:

For Boston:

How much do you have to qualify by to typically get in? I know that registration starts with people who qualify by like 20 minutes? What are my chances if I only qualify by like 5 minutes?

For Age Group Nationals:

Does anyone who finishes in the top 10% of their age group in any USAT event automatically qualify? Or, is their a first, come first serve process, or is it like Boston and the fastest among the qualifiers qualify?

Thanks!

2014-01-03 11:05 AM
in reply to: miyutris

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Qualifying for Boston and Age Group Nationals

I'm glad you asked as I've had questions on AG Nationals (Olympic).  What I think I know is that yes, if you are in top 10% of a USAT race you qualify.  There are also regional qualifiers that take the top 33%.  Those races are listed on the USAT website.  Once you qualify you get a notification of such and you then have the opportunity to sign up for AG National races before it fills up.

This is where I have my question as to the timing of all this.  I have heard that the race fills around early June so if you want to race you have to qualify much earlier.  If this is true and I am now planning on AG Nationals for this summer I have to find a very early qualifying race.  Seems like a pretty tight time line.  How late/early in the year can you qualify for the following year's AGN?

2014-01-03 11:06 AM

User image

Boston: to make it in for 2014 you had to beat the qualifying time by 1:38 .. so with 5 minutes under you should be good.

AG Nats: any top 10% finish gets you in (from any distance USAT sanctioned race); but then it's first come first serve (qualified) once registration is open until it sells out.
2014-01-03 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

See the other thread for AG Nats answers. With regards to Boston, if you're a 5+ minute priority qualifier your odds of getting in are very, very good. Even with all the demand this year if rolled all the way to anyone that qualified and the cut off was something like 1:36 better than Q time (I don't remember the exact). I went two minutes and change faster and made it in but 30 seconds or so. 

2014-01-03 11:08 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm glad you asked as I've had questions on AG Nationals (Olympic).  What I think I know is that yes, if you are in top 10% of a USAT race you qualify.  There are also regional qualifiers that take the top 33%.  Those races are listed on the USAT website.  Once you qualify you get a notification of such and you then have the opportunity to sign up for AG National races before it fills up.

This is where I have my question as to the timing of all this.  I have heard that the race fills around early June so if you want to race you have to qualify much earlier.  If this is true and I am now planning on AG Nationals for this summer I have to find a very early qualifying race.  Seems like a pretty tight time line.  How late/early in the year can you qualify for the following year's AGN?

Mid/late july AG nats qualifications can count for both current year and following year. I did a local sprint july 17th, 2013 and got the email for both 2013 and 2014.

and I forgot about the regional qualifiers.. that's potentially an easier way to get in.. unless you have a lot of local tris nearby without a deep field (only reason I qualified)
2014-01-03 11:15 AM
in reply to: r3dey3

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by r3dey3

Mid/late july AG nats qualifications can count for both current year and following year. I did a local sprint july 17th, 2013 and got the email for both 2013 and 2014. and I forgot about the regional qualifiers.. that's potentially an easier way to get in.. unless you have a lot of local tris nearby without a deep field (only reason I qualified)

Great.  That's what I wanted to know.

Also, any recommendations on an early season USAT race, like April or May.  I'd have to travel as there are none that early around here.

2014-01-03 1:08 PM

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Originally posted by r3dey3

Mid/late july AG nats qualifications can count for both current year and following year. I did a local sprint july 17th, 2013 and got the email for both 2013 and 2014. and I forgot about the regional qualifiers.. that's potentially an easier way to get in.. unless you have a lot of local tris nearby without a deep field (only reason I qualified)

Great.  That's what I wanted to know.

Also, any recommendations on an early season USAT race, like April or May.  I'd have to travel as there are none that early around here.

In Florida, the race season will be starting in March (multiple races every weekend). There are only a handful in January and February. California will be in full season in early April. There are a few races sprinkled in March, but not as consistent.

You also don't need to race an Olympic distance to qualify. I qualified in a sprint race.

2014-01-03 3:16 PM
in reply to: vertseven

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Just to clarify, you can qualify for the Olympic distance AGN through a sprint? 

2014-01-03 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Correct.

2014-01-03 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Two of us Canadians got invites by finishing top 10% at HIM in Miami. Very weird.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Qualifying for Boston and Age Group Nationals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Age Group National Qualifying in Mauwaukee - water temp?

Started by mdiet22
Views: 1088 Posts: 4

2012-12-20 3:53 PM nickster

Age Group National Qualifying Events for 2013

Started by mdiet22
Views: 809 Posts: 6

2012-12-02 7:52 PM spearit

Qualified for Age Group Nationals!

Started by E=H2O
Views: 1443 Posts: 6

2008-09-02 8:30 PM trixie

age group nationals results?

Started by anna banana
Views: 1079 Posts: 4

2006-07-09 8:06 PM Manatee Express

Qualifying for age-group nationals

Started by shadowfax
Views: 1425 Posts: 14

2006-05-17 5:27 AM sappho96
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : August 19, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.