Other Resources The Political Joe » Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-01-09 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters.

Ref; Chris Christie

I got nothing to say; but couldn't let a perfect Subject Line get away!

He probably knew something, but the world will never know.   Is he still a 2016 front-runner?

2014-01-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters.
I believe all the left leaning newspapers want him to be the Republican candidate.

(edit) Wouldn't that be Like a Troubled Bridge over Water?

Edited by DanielG 2014-01-09 12:52 PM
2014-01-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by DanielG I believe all the left leaning newspapers want him to be the Republican candidate. (edit) Wouldn't that be Like a Troubled Bridge over Water?

lol.  That was my first thought, too. 

I actually hope he survives this.  I wouldn't mind hearing what he has to say on a world stage.  But I think he's perceived as too moderate for the Far Right $$$ contributors.

2014-01-09 1:46 PM

User image

Elite

I think he is probably a little wacko. He is not moderate enough for the left or the right. I don't see how he get's enough votes. Not that he seems crazy... but just unpredictable politically... that is not necessarily good.

And I'm just going to mention the Elephant in the room... Christie himself. I don't have problems with people that struggle with their weight... but he is certainly obese... morbidly?... and I do not know how people pick him to lead the country with such personal issues... even if they don't say it out loud.

Edited by powerman 2014-01-09 1:50 PM
2014-01-09 1:48 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I am pretty happy about this myself, I don't see him as a viable candidate in 2016 so I would be more than happy for the media to quit talking about him running.

I agree that Dems would love to see CC as the nominee. He doesn't inspire the Conservatives, he doesn't inspire the Libertarians, he doesn't inspire the religious. Basically having CC run would be a slam dunk for whoever opposes him. He would get a worse reception than Romney among typical Repub voters and he would keep Inde's away from the polls. 

2014-01-09 2:23 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I am pretty happy about this myself, I don't see him as a viable candidate in 2016 so I would be more than happy for the media to quit talking about him running.

I agree that Dems would love to see CC as the nominee. He doesn't inspire the Conservatives, he doesn't inspire the Libertarians, he doesn't inspire the religious. Basically having CC run would be a slam dunk for whoever opposes him. He would get a worse reception than Romney among typical Repub voters and he would keep Inde's away from the polls. 

Do you think so? I am lazy right now, but if I recall correctly he got quite a lot of democrat support in his last re-election along with republicans.

2014-01-09 3:39 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I actually kind of like Christie, at least compared to some of the other wacko's that run. Don't think he will beat BIllary however.

2014-01-09 4:08 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

I actually kind of like Christie, at least compared to some of the other wacko's that run. Don't think he will beat BIllary however.

I do too. He's always been a bit arrogant, so I'm not sure people who have followed his career are too surprised. Remember the incident where he took a helicopter to his sons baseball game, and had a limo waiting to take him 100 yards to the field?

2014-01-09 5:12 PM
in reply to: BrianRunsPhilly

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BrianRunsPhilly

Originally posted by dmiller5

I do too. He's always been a bit arrogant, so I'm not sure people who have followed his career are too surprised. Remember the incident where he took a helicopter to his sons baseball game, and had a limo waiting to take him 100 yards to the field?

Yeah, I have a problem with that....now, if he would have taken a limo to the game, and then choppered over onto the field......well....that's different.

2014-01-10 10:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Saw some clips of the press conference yesterday. The whole thing is rather bizarre. Why would anyone punish the mayor of a town of 35,000 people? That is a drop in the bucket of the voter base in NJ, hardly going to make any difference in the election. Doesn't make sense for aide's to risk their job or for Christie to risk the bad rap to do this.

On the other hand his lack of action during the fiasco is rather suspect to me as well. Four days of major traffic problems for the sake of a "traffic study" and he doesn't call up the transportation department and ask what the heck is going on? 

Makes ya wonder what the real reason for the whole thing was and who was behind it. 

2014-01-10 10:30 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Saw some clips of the press conference yesterday. The whole thing is rather bizarre. Why would anyone punish the mayor of a town of 35,000 people? That is a drop in the bucket of the voter base in NJ, hardly going to make any difference in the election. Doesn't make sense for aide's to risk their job or for Christie to risk the bad rap to do this.

On the other hand his lack of action during the fiasco is rather suspect to me as well. Four days of major traffic problems for the sake of a "traffic study" and he doesn't call up the transportation department and ask what the heck is going on? 

Makes ya wonder what the real reason for the whole thing was and who was behind it. 

agree the whole thing is odd. as for the traffic tie-ups....they're not really unusual. i live in nj and use the bridge and tunnels regularly, although not from ft. lee.. in my experience, the GW is always backed up during rush hour. always. traffic snarls are the norm at that hour not the exception. i avoid it whenever possible. this particular event sounds like it was far greater than the norm but I dont even remember hearing about it until recent media coverage. 

2014-01-10 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Why would anyone punish the mayor of a town of 35,000 people? That is a drop in the bucket of the voter base in NJ, hardly going to make any difference in the election. Doesn't make sense for aide's to risk their job or for Christie to risk the bad rap to do this.

Some liberal media outlets (MSNBC for one) are 'alleging' that CC was, in fact, trying to exact revenge on the Dem. (majority/minority?) Leader of the NJ Senate whose district includes Ft. Lee.  CC called her out by name in a press conference the day before the "traffic problem in Ft Lee" text was sent.

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-01-10 11:21 AM
2014-01-10 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Why would anyone punish the mayor of a town of 35,000 people? That is a drop in the bucket of the voter base in NJ, hardly going to make any difference in the election. Doesn't make sense for aide's to risk their job or for Christie to risk the bad rap to do this.

Some liberal media outlets (MSNBC for one) are 'alleging' that CC was, in fact, trying to exact revenge on the Dem. (majority/minority?) Leader of the NJ Senate whose district includes Ft. Lee.  CC called her out by name in a press conference the day before the "traffic problem in Ft Lee" text was sent.

Interesting twist. Got a link? 

2014-01-10 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Found something. Looks like there was some tension and name calling over some State Supreme Court Justice nominations. The infamous email went out 24 hours after that showdown.

That might make a bit more sense. Still a dumb move either by Christie or his aides. 

2014-01-10 12:35 PM

User image

Pro

I wish I would have lived during the times when you'd just knock the bridge down if you really wanted to get even......all this crap is ridiculous.

2014-01-10 6:56 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm in the same boat.  As I've mentioned before, the Dems and the media are pushing CC for a reason and it's not because they think he can win.

2014-01-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by tuwood

I'm in the same boat.  As I've mentioned before, the Dems and the media are pushing CC for a reason and it's not because they think he can win.

YOu're right about CC not inspiring the Conservatives and religious right. Romney did, though, and he lost. Are you suggesting (as Fox news did immediately after the election) that the way to win in 2016 is to move even further to the right than Romney was?

I don't think CC is a legit candidate for a number of reasons,but rather than seeing some big conspiracy, where the liberal media and the democratic spin machine are supporting a candidatate because they don't think he can win, rather, I think the love-fest for Christie is coming from his willingness to at least give the appearance of trying to work with the POTUS and the Feds at a time when the GOP playbook is to do the opposite, no matter what. I think people find it refreshing, given the climate of relentless political opposition (or at least the perception of it).

I'm not sure whose idea it is that the best candidate for the GOP in 2016 is another darling of the far-right GOP base. If the election were tomorrow, even despite the ACA problems and Benghazi and everythign else, Mitt Romney 2.0 or even a guy like Ted Cruz would get demolished. The only shot the GOP have of winning is to tell the Tea Party and the religious right to take a seat and try to at least creep towards the middle.
2014-01-13 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

YOu're right about CC not inspiring the Conservatives and religious right. Romney did, though, and he lost. Are you suggesting (as Fox news did immediately after the election) that the way to win in 2016 is to move even further to the right than Romney was? I don't think CC is a legit candidate for a number of reasons,but rather than seeing some big conspiracy, where the liberal media and the democratic spin machine are supporting a candidatate because they don't think he can win, rather, I think the love-fest for Christie is coming from his willingness to at least give the appearance of trying to work with the POTUS and the Feds at a time when the GOP playbook is to do the opposite, no matter what. I think people find it refreshing, given the climate of relentless political opposition (or at least the perception of it). I'm not sure whose idea it is that the best candidate for the GOP in 2016 is another darling of the far-right GOP base. If the election were tomorrow, even despite the ACA problems and Benghazi and everythign else, Mitt Romney 2.0 or even a guy like Ted Cruz would get demolished. The only shot the GOP have of winning is to tell the Tea Party and the religious right to take a seat and try to at least creep towards the middle.

I disagree about Romney.  He didn't inspire conservatism at all, and pretty much all of the conservative blogs that I frequented down right hated the guy.  He's simply another big spending RINO was the general consensus.

Being a Mormon turned off a huge chunk of the religious right as well.  I'm sure that the percentage of religious folks probably voted for him similar to Bush and McCain, but I don't think I would say he inspired the religious right either.

In my opinion a fiscal conservative with a Libertarian slant socially would do exceptionally well in the national election.   There are fiscal conservatives in both parties, but they get caught up into forcing their social views on everyone and that's where it gets all whacky.

I feel Ted Cruz, and Rand Paul have the fiscal conservative credentials (at least in what they say), but I'm not sure how beholden they are to their social platforms.  If they take the approach of "I believe in this, but I don't feel it's the governments responsibility to impose it on others" then they could do very well in the general.  Certainly there will be militants on the right and left who will never vote for anyone who isn't going to militantly push their social agenda's, but I think those wash out.

I could be wrong for sure, but that's how I see it.

2014-01-13 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

>

Being a Mormon turned off a huge chunk of the religious right as well.  I'm sure that the percentage of religious folks probably voted for him similar to Bush and McCain, but I don't think I would say he inspired the religious right either.

You know its funny. My mom's side very religious side. They all live in a small farm town in Wisconsin. 1600 people live their and its not a mater if you go to church but which protestant one. Even a couple of 1st and 2nds of some of them.

Mormons to them were nothing but a cult and then Romney ran and then well they are just as good as us, but Catholics were still bad though.
2014-01-13 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Read the emails, sounds like revenge to me. "They are the children of Buono voters"
2014-01-14 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

YOu're right about CC not inspiring the Conservatives and religious right. Romney did, though, and he lost. Are you suggesting (as Fox news did immediately after the election) that the way to win in 2016 is to move even further to the right than Romney was? I don't think CC is a legit candidate for a number of reasons,but rather than seeing some big conspiracy, where the liberal media and the democratic spin machine are supporting a candidatate because they don't think he can win, rather, I think the love-fest for Christie is coming from his willingness to at least give the appearance of trying to work with the POTUS and the Feds at a time when the GOP playbook is to do the opposite, no matter what. I think people find it refreshing, given the climate of relentless political opposition (or at least the perception of it). I'm not sure whose idea it is that the best candidate for the GOP in 2016 is another darling of the far-right GOP base. If the election were tomorrow, even despite the ACA problems and Benghazi and everythign else, Mitt Romney 2.0 or even a guy like Ted Cruz would get demolished. The only shot the GOP have of winning is to tell the Tea Party and the religious right to take a seat and try to at least creep towards the middle.

I disagree about Romney.  He didn't inspire conservatism at all, and pretty much all of the conservative blogs that I frequented down right hated the guy.  He's simply another big spending RINO was the general consensus.

In my opinion a fiscal conservative with a Libertarian slant socially would do exceptionally well in the national election.   There are fiscal conservatives in both parties, but they get caught up into forcing their social views on everyone and that's where it gets all whacky.

I feel Ted Cruz, and Rand Paul have the fiscal conservative credentials (at least in what they say), but I'm not sure how beholden they are to their social platforms.  If they take the approach of "I believe in this, but I don't feel it's the governments responsibility to impose it on others" then they could do very well in the general.  Certainly there will be militants on the right and left who will never vote for anyone who isn't going to militantly push their social agenda's, but I think those wash out.

I don't think Romney inspired conservatives at all. I sure didn't vote for him. I went to the Repub primary in my state, they had us all in a big stadium and we went through rounds and rounds of voting to pick a candidate. A lot of the people I talked to wanted Ron Paul to be the guy, but they chose to vote for Romney because they thought he had a better chance of beating Obama. The hardcore religious voted for Santorum. 

IMO Romney was no where near "the far right". He failed to get the conservatives out to vote and independents weren't real interested in him. For me I was tired of voting for the lesser of two evils so I voted for who I wanted to. Johnson was the closest thing available and he got more of the vote than any L candidate ever has before. 

I think a lot of people are ready for a fiscal and regulatory conservative that does not stick their nose in the State's business or into social issues. Yes there are still some that vote on abortion and gay marriage, but even those would vote for a Libertarian candidate over Clinton. If the GOP had the guts to run Rand Paul or someone like him I think he would do very well, especially if O-care continues to implode and prove that government doesn't always know best. 

Unfortunately the GOP is much the same as the Dems, they seem to be just as in favor of big government as the dems are they just think they can do a better job of it. Because of that and the fact that it apparently takes $1bil to run a campaign, I am afraid we will get more of the same.

So no, I do not think that pandering to the religious right will help, but IMO CC is just the same as the last two moderates the GOP has run out, if not worse as I think he is an emotional loose cannon. His "straight talk" might be endearing to some but I don't want the POTUS running his mouth and shooting from the hip. They need a small government, fiscal conservative who lets the social issues fall to the states where it belongs. In short they need a Libertarian. 

2014-01-14 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I don't think Romney inspired conservatives at all. I sure didn't vote for him. I went to the Repub primary in my state, they had us all in a big stadium and we went through rounds and rounds of voting to pick a candidate. A lot of the people I talked to wanted Ron Paul to be the guy, but they chose to vote for Romney because they thought he had a better chance of beating Obama. The hardcore religious voted for Santorum. 

IMO Romney was no where near "the far right". He failed to get the conservatives out to vote and independents weren't real interested in him. For me I was tired of voting for the lesser of two evils so I voted for who I wanted to. Johnson was the closest thing available and he got more of the vote than any L candidate ever has before. 

I think a lot of people are ready for a fiscal and regulatory conservative that does not stick their nose in the State's business or into social issues. Yes there are still some that vote on abortion and gay marriage, but even those would vote for a Libertarian candidate over Clinton. If the GOP had the guts to run Rand Paul or someone like him I think he would do very well, especially if O-care continues to implode and prove that government doesn't always know best. 

Unfortunately the GOP is much the same as the Dems, they seem to be just as in favor of big government as the dems are they just think they can do a better job of it. Because of that and the fact that it apparently takes $1bil to run a campaign, I am afraid we will get more of the same.

So no, I do not think that pandering to the religious right will help, but IMO CC is just the same as the last two moderates the GOP has run out, if not worse as I think he is an emotional loose cannon. His "straight talk" might be endearing to some but I don't want the POTUS running his mouth and shooting from the hip. They need a small government, fiscal conservative who lets the social issues fall to the states where it belongs. In short they need a Libertarian. 

You're probably right. No, in fact, you're absolutely right. The trouble is, who knows what a real Libertarian looks like? A lot of the people I know who call themselves Libertarians are basically just hard-core conservatives who own a lot of guns and don't want to pay taxes.
2014-01-14 3:33 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

You're probably right. No, in fact, you're absolutely right. The trouble is, who knows what a real Libertarian looks like? A lot of the people I know who call themselves Libertarians are basically just hard-core conservatives who own a lot of guns and don't want to pay taxes.

WHAT!

Wait a minute.  You mean that NOT what a Libertarian 'really' looks like. 

2014-01-23 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Chris Christie is in a whoole lot of hot water these days. 

2014-01-23 3:16 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by jeffnboise

Chris Christie is in a whoole lot of hot water these days. 

I think Trump summed it up nicely when he said that Christie is one email away from a disaster.  One email leak or one staffer saying he had knowledge or was involved and his political career is toast.

His poll numbers are already tanking, so it likely won't even take that.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.
date : October 24, 2005
This program is an advanced plan to bridge you from a Sprint to an Olympic Distance triathlon with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : October 24, 2005
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is 14 hours in week 5.
date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.
date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
comments : 1
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.

date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
comments : 1
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!