General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question for those with dogs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-25 12:07 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: question for those with dogs
Hello everyone!

We don't have a dog now, but in the next couple years I'd love to get one - preferably a Doberman. I'd love to have a dog to run with early in the mornings and have always loved the breed.
For those with active dog breeds...how do you ensure they get plenty of exercise while fitting in your workouts. I get that you can take them running with you (once conditioned).
How do you balance the amount of exercise the dog needs along with your workouts/family time/work etc?

Also, how to you manage getting out for long bike rides/other workouts (I teach 5:15am spin classes) early in the morning. We dog sit on occasion and I always feel bad leaving while the dog is looking up at me going "why can't I go?" and trying to keep the noise down from waking up the whole house. Do you immediately take them out when you get home? Do you rely on the other family members to take the dog out?

The dog will primarily be my responsibility - regardless of who wants it (my kids SAY they will take care of it, but yeah right)...and my husband's work hours are crazy to say the least, so I'm the one at home most of the time.

I grew up with dogs and would love to have one again...just trying to be realistic with the expectations. I know these questions may seem silly, but I would love to hear everyone's 'routine' when it comes to their pet and workout plan so it doesn't destroy the house from boredom!

Thanks so much!

2014-01-25 1:51 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: question for those with dogs
Dogs sleep like 80% of the time. With most breeds taking them out for a brisk walk twice a day is sufficient. I take my beagle mix out for a run 2-3x / week, she doesn't seem to need more exercise than that (in addition to walks). This may or may not apply to Dobermans and certainly does not pertain to all breeds (Jack Russell terriers com to mind). One thing is most important, give them as much love as they give you and they will be fine.
2014-01-25 2:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have got my Corgi/Husky cross up to 3 mile runs at about 8:00/mile pace and that is about it for her, then she starts to lag. I am slowly trying to up her mileage, but I am taking my time. She is a shelter rescue dog and came from a household with 2 elderly people, so she didn't get any brisk exercise.

On days with with long runs, I have a 3 mile loop we run then I drop her off at home then continue for the rest of my run. Like oysterboy said, she sleeps the majority of the day. I take her out in the morning for a short walk to empty her out. I have a neighbour stop by around lunch to let her out, then I get home around 4:30 and we head out for our run. I take her out every day after work without fail. It is our routine, and we both love it. I am single, so there is no one at home with her during the day. I built a raised bed/couch for her to look out the front window to watch people, cars, animals go by and she seems very happy up there. Most days I come home she is sleeping up there. I have had zero destruction/boredom issues, but then again she is 7+ years old and not a puppy/teenage dog.

On Monday/Wednesday/Fridays I get up at 5:10 am and leave the house by 5:40 to get to my Master's swim class. During the summer I get up around 5:30 am to ride my bike to work on Tuesday/Thursdays. As long as she has someone to let her out about half way through the day she is perfectly fine.

Dogs are such wonderful animals and I feel blessed to have her in my life.

Dwayne

Edited by DeVinci13 2014-01-25 2:40 PM
2014-01-25 3:34 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I've got an Australian Shepard. He is, how do you say, THE. MOST. ENERGETIC. DOG. EVER.

Yes, I'll take him out before work 6:30AM and right when I get home 6:00PM. During the summer I'll run with him because it's not dark outside, this time of year, no way. He's very well behaved but some time when you gotta Chase a squirrel you gotta chase it. Also, I will usually take him and his older less energetic sister on a 15-20 min walk before Bed And if I wake up early enough a walk instead of just 3-5 minutes in the green belt in the AM.

I feel bad not letting the dogs out because I took them in to make their lives better, and better = outside usually. So for me 2 quick trips outside and atleast 15 but hopefully 30mins walking a day. The occasional run and every weekend the GF and I take them to the dog park, hiking, etc.

It definitely was a larger time commitment than I expected, but it calms me down and hasn't interrupted my training, but has shifted a few sessions earlier/later.

The dogs needs/exercise usually gets taken care of in our active lifestyle. Just took some time to train them to & behave calmly, become good running partners etc. cheers,
2014-01-25 4:54 PM

User image

I have a medium sized (40 lb) golden/collie mix and she is very active. I grew up with ALOT of dogs. My mother raised dobermans on and off for years and a doberman (Tinker) was my first one! We had a 7 acre farm and the dogs ran loose much of the time. While that wasn't much fun for the Jehovah's Witnesses, we didn't need to worry about exercising our pets.

The best exercise for a dog--is another dog. In the absence of that or strategically scheduled play dates, you'll find that more is needed. Walking is NOT exercise for them...and if you're a triathlete, probably not for you either. Running on the other hand is, and my dog LOVES to run with me. I am thoughtful about hydration and hot days, but for the most part, the average dog can easily outpace/distance the finest endurance humans.

That being said, like all training partners, my dog gets in a rut too! I joke with my friends that her favorite pace is a 10 minute mile (actually (9:30) because that's the pace she can glide along without much effort. She know's my routes...so sees no need to move any quicker sometimes! This is problematic for speed work day...but if I mention a squirrel she missed down the path then all the better!

Have fun!
2014-01-25 4:57 PM
in reply to: Jump4Joy

User image

I forgot to mention that my dog likes to swim. We often run a towpath trail along a small creek and lake area. She gets very annoyed when we skip the customary dip in the lake.

2014-01-25 6:02 PM

User image

I have two herding dogs... Makes me have tons of respect for people with children. If they have a day without exercise they get very restless and will pace during the night. We get home from work, get them exercised, get us exercised, cook and eat dinner then start getting ready for bed. We do run with them but no more than a mile or two. They are awesome dogs, and do lay around while we are at work, but need a lot of attention in the evenings. I love having them and wouldn't trade it for anything
2014-01-25 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4938458

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
We've got a two year old fix hound mix. Like the collies above, he is full of energy, way more than I was expecting when we adopted him (our last dog was a basset).

At minimum, he gets out twice in the morning (one 15 min walk, one just out in the yard), and the same at night. During the week, he also spends 3-4 hours at a playgroup with other dogs, and we definitely notice a difference in energy level on the weekends when he doesn't get that outlet.

As far as running goes, we're mixed. I try my best to do 2mi runs in the morning instead of a walk, but it's tough to work up the motivation at 5am when it's 15 degrees and dark, so there hasn't been much running lately. He loves it though, so I always feel guilty when I bail on him. We've gone as much as 4mi. Biggest problem is that he's a hound, and stops to sniff something every 100ft - I try to think of our runs as fartleks, and not worry about pace.
2014-01-26 7:16 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
We are lucky in that we have lazy dogs with big bladders. :D our dog who just died this fall was nicknamed " the philodendron with fur" to give you an idea of energy level.

Really, though...we have an acre yard that they are free to ramble around in when they go out, but they don't get walks regularly or anything. Even our puppy is lazy. when he is naughty, it is at a low speed.

But we pick dogs with low energy level and attention requirements deliberately. I think you absolutely need to be honest about that when you are looking fora dog. I love a lot of breeds that I'd never own bc they just need more than I could give. Ours are happy going out In the am before work, then After work, and at bed time (during the week). They LIKE walks and the park or whatever, but are perfectly happy chilling (in fact, they often prefer it).
2014-01-26 7:37 PM

User image

I have a 9 month old lab puppy and this is my first dog to be completely responsible for. Last summer when he was wee little it was hard to sneak out the door to go for a run. In fact, he whined and howled and woke up the house. Hubby asked if I could wait until at least 6 before heading out! As soon as I got back I took him out in the yard to run him around and play fetch. Lucky for us, puppies grow up! We started taking him to the dog park once he was 4 months to be socialized with other dogs. This wears him out as does swimming

While learning to walk on a leash we took short distance walks that took forever.

Up until about 8 months we went for a 30 minute walk in the morning, lots of fetch in the afternoon, and another 30 minute walk in the evening. Once those hormones ramped up we noticed some destructive habits if he didn't get exercised. Once the vet gave me the go ahead I started to run with him. We now head out for a run/walk that is 3 miles long at 5:30 AM. This is my morning workout and then I workout again before I get home in the afternoon. I do any longer runs solo on the weekends. It isn't the best way to train but with him and my kids it is the best I can do. He's been great at getting me out even during this really cold winter. We did have him neutered which didn't change his energy level one bit!

He is a smart puppy and knows which are my running shoes so whenever I put them on he goes to sit by the door. We have found that providing an outlet for his energy is key to him providing us with peace and quiet in the evenings and not destroying the house. Any incidents we have had have occurred during monsoon-ish weather when we haven't been out as much.
2014-01-27 7:08 AM
in reply to: A Tri Mom

User image

Champion
MA

We have 2 labradoodles who love to play and chase each other.  Having a fenced yard makes it easier. We call it rumbling as they go outside and chase each other, get on their hind legs and play fight with each other.  We have dog worn tracks in our backyard where they chase each other and play. We had thought about getting only one dog but when we saw how much fun they have together and they can be dogs. Often folks get a second dog when first one is getting older but with that program they dogs may not have same energy level. Having similar age dogs and energy levels helps them be good play buddies.

Behavior issues in dogs is often due to dog with more energy than what exercise options owners provide to use that energy. Dog Whisper Cesar Milan has great information on this.  Do you have fenced yard? Do you have a dog park that you could visit on a daily basis (works great for single dog families to get energy out)? Walking a dog isn't really enough exercise for them. They want to run and play. How can you provide that for them.I'd recommend looking at what you can provide for a dog as far as exercise and pick a breed that fits what you can offer.

2014-01-27 10:10 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro

Remember that it's a dog and not a person.  Dogs are happiest when they know who the leader of the pack is and their place within the pack.  There is a ton to read on the topic.  It's very important, especially in larger breeds.

We crate train all of our dogs for the first year or so.....and when that is done they run the house when we are gone, although they continue to see the crate as their "den".  We don't have problems. 

As others have said, exercise is very important....but it can come in many forms.  During the summer our Lab spends the day in the pool with the kids....no worries.  In the winter we make sure she gets at least 30 minutes a day of vigorous activity.  I would imagine a briski walk would be find for some dogs.....but most need quite a bit more, even if it doesn't take alot of time.

2014-01-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: mmrocker13

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Originally posted by mmrocker13

We are lucky in that we have lazy dogs with big bladders. :D our dog who just died this fall was nicknamed " the philodendron with fur" to give you an idea of energy level.

Really, though...we have an acre yard that they are free to ramble around in when they go out, but they don't get walks regularly or anything. Even our puppy is lazy. when he is naughty, it is at a low speed.

But we pick dogs with low energy level and attention requirements deliberately. I think you absolutely need to be honest about that when you are looking fora dog. I love a lot of breeds that I'd never own bc they just need more than I could give. Ours are happy going out In the am before work, then After work, and at bed time (during the week). They LIKE walks and the park or whatever, but are perfectly happy chilling (in fact, they often prefer it).

That is how I picked a dog as well. He wants attention more than exercise.
2014-01-27 11:55 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

My wife and I both "do triathlon".  The dog (Springer Spaniel) has a running partner about 4 days/week.  He comes for my long runs and recover runs.  He is not a great partner for track workouts, but not bad on hill repeats.  All of my dogs have been taught that running is "their work", and when we are doing it, the only excuse for leaving my hip is to poop or pee.  My St Bernard was good for 6 miles at 10 m/m and my Springer has gone for 14 and then when I drop him off in our yard for the last 6 or a long run, he looks at me with , "Why are you leaving me behind?" in his eyes.

We are getting a puppy, and I am wondering how quickly she will integrate into the running lifestyle.

2014-01-27 12:37 PM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Here's my $0.02, but I understand not everyone can go this route.

We have two dogs, a 14 year old collie/terrier and a 5 year old collie/pit. The younger is far more active and requires far more exercise than the older one ever did. We call her the crackhead. I couldn't conceive of having the younger dog without both a dog door and a fenced (1.5acre) yard. She can, and does, spend hours chasing tennis balls at full tilt in the spring and fall (summer is too hot, winter is too cold for her--during those seasons she gets 30 minutes). Frankly, I don't have that kind of time on a daily basis with work, life, training, etc. So, the dog door is great, because she can let herself in and out to chase after squirrels and the like--bonus exercise! Both dogs spend a good deal of time outside playing, either with each other or with the neighbor dogs through the fence (it is weird, but they make it work).

I've tried to take the younger running with me. I'm slow and don't do great distances, so I'm sure it isn't much of a workout for her, but she seems to enjoy it. She has learned what the running shoes mean and gets excited when she sees them going on my feet. We need much work on how to run properly with a dog, because right now she stops/sniffs until I get about 5' in front of her, then sprints 6' (length of the leash) in front of me and stops to sniff...repeat. We've only been doing it for about three months, so we'll get there, but I know it is going to take a long time. She is as cute as she is dumb, and she's pretty cute.
2014-01-27 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
I have 2 shelties and a pom, the get to walk virtually every day after dinner, we also do dog agility with them and they get 2hrs of agility training every week minimum, I manage this by doing the bulk of my tri training during my lunch hr I arrange for an extra half hour on my lunch by starting earlier in the morning so I get an hour and a half to work out every day minimum so usually a full hour in. Usually after long runs or Bikes I take the Shelties out for a long walk as I cool down, suprising how they have learned this and are usually waiting by the door ready to go when I get back.

I do not have any Small children to deal with so that in itself free's up boatloads of time. My wife Joins me at a lot of Club training functions as she is into photography so she come's along to Club workouts and shoots everyone running swimming and biking, the dogs join us at many of these functions as well depending on the locations.

Edited by RRH_88 2014-01-27 1:12 PM

2014-01-27 4:21 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for all the wonderful replies!! Would love to hear more as well!

Some background...I grew up with shelties...had one that was "my dog" and we showed him and did competitions. When I was 5 I was at the obedience studio working with him along with my mom. I used to take him on bike rides around the neighborhood and he would run by my bike and never leave my side - no matter what. I have high expectations :-) I would like a larger dog though, always wanted something bigger, and having a larger dog while running super early in the morning would make me feel a bit more secure. Love Love Love Dobies, but that may be a bit much since it will be our first dog as a family.

I agree that a dog is a dog (I have 2 children that are needy enough) and believe that me being the pack leader is a MUST! I've already done a LOT of reading about training etc. I also intend to take the dog to obedience classes because I have very little patience for dogs (or kids) that misbehave.

We have a house with a fenced in yard but it is small- half is rock with 2 citrus trees and 1/2 is a pool. But we live right off a greenbelt system with lots of walking trails and some large grassy areas...so once the dog is trained I'd love to take them out and play fetch/frisbee etc. That's the one thing my dog never liked, playing fetch.
But, with this set up just letting the dog out in the back yard isn't enough for exercise.

The DH isn't really a 'pet' person but he said he would be completely on board if I wanted to get one and would help out (but I would be the primary dog walker). My kids of course want one but the willingness to help disappears after about 1 week (we have 2 gerbils now that are pretty much my responsibility). The DH said that maybe after I do IMAZ next year would be a good time to look into it. We will see.

Keep sending your ideas...love hearing what kind of dogs people have too and their routine! Definitely helps! Thanks!
2014-01-27 4:36 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Brian W I've got an Australian Shepard. He is, how do you say, THE. MOST. ENERGETIC. DOG. EVER. Yes, I'll take him out before work 6:30AM and right when I get home 6:00PM. During the summer I'll run with him because it's not dark outside, this time of year, no way. He's very well behaved but some time when you gotta Chase a squirrel you gotta chase it. Also, I will usually take him and his older less energetic sister on a 15-20 min walk before Bed And if I wake up early enough a walk instead of just 3-5 minutes in the green belt in the AM. I feel bad not letting the dogs out because I took them in to make their lives better, and better = outside usually. So for me 2 quick trips outside and atleast 15 but hopefully 30mins walking a day. The occasional run and every weekend the GF and I take them to the dog park, hiking, etc. It definitely was a larger time commitment than I expected, but it calms me down and hasn't interrupted my training, but has shifted a few sessions earlier/later. The dogs needs/exercise usually gets taken care of in our active lifestyle. Just took some time to train them to & behave calmly, become good running partners etc. cheers,

Another Aussie owner here (have had an Aussie since '90 except a 2 year break after our last one passed).  He's 16 months and becoming a very fit dog as we are currently running 3-4 times a week 3-6 miles in the AM with weekly mileage 13-18 miles. We road and trail run, vet was amazed at his 1 year visit last month that his nails didn't need to be trimmed.  We started off at 1/4 mile run, 1/2 walk repeats for 1-2 miles when he was a 4 month old puppy and built slowly.  When we are running I use a 16' retractable leash and he understands left, straight, right when we come to roads/trails. Its a great thing for me as it gets me out and when I run alone I actually miss him.  If he doesn't get a daily run or 2 good walks in he's very active in the house, more like a big PITA!

Our kids are 12 & 14 and they make sure to play with him and make sure he goes out when they are home with him.  If they ever say "we're bored" we make sure they are out the door with the dog walking him!  When my wife and I were ready to get a new dog we discussed with the kids to make sure they understood that this was a family responsibility.  I also work crazy hours that is why I take care of the AM.

2014-01-27 5:09 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
We have a big Goldendoodle that loves to run. He is good for about 14 miles and does not like to drink out portable dog bowls...

So ease into running with your dog. You'll both need time to learn from each other.
Ours:
-- Knows his left, right and straight. Very handy for voice commands at trail intersections.
-- Will not cross a street without being told to.
-- Likes to drink from streams and muddy puddles, we trail run a lot.
-- Loves being off leash, we use a retracting run leash.
-- Loves snow, I take him XC skiing at a sled dog area.
-- Knows to heel when he sees other people on the trails.
-- Loves to Mountain Bike, he will heel while I ride, release when told and come when told.
-- Reacts to the sound of a Garmin being turned on
-- Knows running gear from bike kit
2014-01-27 5:29 PM

User image

Master
PNW
We've got three large dogs - all mutts. Two are now about 7-8 years old (shelter dogs) and one is 2. All of them are 80 lbs or bigger! One has bad hips and is part Bassett, so he needs exercise so that he doesn't seize up and so he doesn't get fat but he can't run like the other two. The 2 year old is a giant schnoodle with extremely long legs and tons of energy. We adopted her as my future running partner and then she bowled me over in the backyard, ripping apart my foot and taking me out of the running circuit for over a year!

Now that I'm running again, I plan to start working with her but she's never been trained to run with me so it should be interesting. She's extremely energetic and strong, so I'm a little apprehensive but I think it'll be good for both of us!

We have no yard. We both work full-time. We also live in 1400 SF house with a cat, so it's a bit crazy just about all the time. We make do!

All three dogs have been through extensive training because we were having difficulty walking three of them when squirrels, birds or other dogs were around. Up until a year ago, we owned a small farm but when we sold it and moved into town, we had a hard time adjusting them to the idea that a leash meant that the human was in control. (by the way, we would NEVER have gotten this many pets in this small of a place had we known!). I'm quite strong, but prior to training, there were a couple of times where I was dragged across the parking lot on my stomach because when 3 large dogs all decide they want to go the same direction, it takes a freight train to stop them! Now we handle them differently and put a stop to that behavior before it escalates.

I walk them around 6 am for 30 mintutes in the morning and my husband does the same at about 5 pm. It does count as exercise because it is work. They don't get to stroll and sniff. They 'empty' when we give them leave to (and then they can do some sniffing) but most of the time, they are on the move and alert to our behavior. When we have daylight, we take them to a field around the corner from us and throw the frisbee or sticks a couple of times a week. We also walk them down to a local school and play with them and practice their commands at least once a weekend, sometimes twice. We also do training sessions with them in the house and while not 'exercise' for their bodies, it does exercise their minds. Lastly (and somewhat unfortunately) they wrestle with each other in the house and sometimes with the cat. It's loud and exhausting to us, but they seem to enjoy it. ;-)

Dogs are awesome. I could do without the cat but I swear, my life is not complete without a dog by my side! (or two, or three!)

Edited by GLC1968 2014-01-27 5:33 PM
2014-01-31 8:17 PM

User image

Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
I have 2 dogs: a 3yo male shepherd/lab mix and a 2yo female shepherd/doberman mix. I usually get them out for 2 runs per day but one of those is usually really short (only 0.5-2 miles just to get them out for potty business). In the winter, the morning run is usually the short one and in the summer, it's the evening run. My favorite way to run with the dogs is to take them to a 40 acre off-leash dog park. It has a lot of nice trails and a river for the dogs to cool off in if it's a hot day. It's also a good way to let them fully exhaust themselves (sometimes I think they run twice as much as I do at that park) and we usually run there for 1-1.5 hours.

I just give them each a chew treat (pigs ears, bully sticks, etc.) when I head out for a ride or swim, or for curling league.

2014-02-01 7:05 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by magic We have a big Goldendoodle that loves to run. He is good for about 14 miles and does not like to drink out portable dog bowls... So ease into running with your dog. You'll both need time to learn from each other. Ours: -- Knows his left, right and straight. Very handy for voice commands at trail intersections. -- Will not cross a street without being told to. -- Likes to drink from streams and muddy puddles, we trail run a lot. -- Loves being off leash, we use a retracting run leash. -- Loves snow, I take him XC skiing at a sled dog area. -- Knows to heel when he sees other people on the trails. -- Loves to Mountain Bike, he will heel while I ride, release when told and come when told. -- Reacts to the sound of a Garmin being turned on -- Knows running gear from bike kit

Congrats on giving your dog what he wants.  Exercise and leadership.

2014-02-01 8:57 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

Scottsdale, AZ
Again, some amazing replies! There is truly a bond between a dog and it's owner!

question for those with these GREAT dogs...where did you do the training? Did you go thru a service/petsmart/private dog trainer or did you do it yourself and how long did it take? Were your dogs young or did you find that the rescues adapted just as quick? Thanks!!!!
2014-02-02 1:27 AM

User image

Expert
Our Goldendoodle was a rescue, figured he was about 9months when we got him. We did a class at Pets Mart for training. Once we got a few basics and figured out our pup was food motivated it was easy from there. Simple and consistency is key. Our guy knows a ton of commands/tricks now but it took awhile for the first ones of walking at heel, come, sit, down... Once those sunk in everything else was easy. He is so good at car that if we forget to say car he will sit there quivering to hop out even if the door is open. Poor guy knows "pizza" too. If we say pizza and order it, he is on high alert for every car that comes near the house until the delivery guy shows.
2014-02-02 8:28 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Expert
very quick edit and video from biking with our pup today

https://vimeo.com/85684795

He did 10 miles in 1:10, not a bad average pace faster up hill than I am for sure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » question for those with dogs Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Running with my dog, neighbor's dog bit my dog...

Started by froglegs
Views: 1775 Posts: 11

2012-05-16 8:53 AM SurfingLamb

Race planning question - dogs or no dogs?

Started by jsnowash
Views: 817 Posts: 5

2009-01-13 11:22 AM velorider62

Bike meets dog! Dog wins!

Started by Cajuntriguy
Views: 1733 Posts: 19

2008-10-14 2:08 PM fsr402

Another running with dog question

Started by Lumber Dad
Views: 1309 Posts: 11

2008-08-19 4:40 PM gearboy

Running with a dog question.

Started by suarezv
Views: 1088 Posts: 6

2005-03-22 8:32 AM Heavy-Dee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
comments : 0
Kona 2006 finishline triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog.
date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
Kona 2006 Swim Exit triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.