General Discussion Race Reports! » Cache Valley Classic Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cache Valley Classic Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hyrum, Utah
United States
TriUtah
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m 50s
Overall Rank = 77/117
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Went up to the Packet Pickup Friday night and drove the bike course, checked out the venue (a great venue I might add) Stayed at relatives house overnight. Got up about 5:00 to get ready. Had breakfast of half a banana, and a peanut butter Sandwich. Drew picked me up jut before 6 and we were off to the race.

Got there, and spent some time making a minor adjustment to the brakes on my bike and got our 2 transtion zones set up. Met up with VMR719 (Victoria) and a couple other racers and just got ready to race.
Event warmup:

Not a lot, mostly walking back and forth between the two transition zones. Did swim a VERY short warmup just before the race started

Swim
  • 45m 42s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Absolutely TERRIBLE swim for me. I really did not manage the swim well at all. My goal was to go into the swim and relax and stroke it out like I have been lately in the pool, and at the LTF tri. Didn't happen. Didn't get more than 50 yards in, and I couldn't get myself into a bilateral breathing pattern. Never ever felt like I got into a good swim rythym the entire swim.

My sighting was absolutely horrid on the first lap. It got better on the second lap, but the first lap was attrocious. I'd look up, and becuase of the chop (caused by wind mostly) and the angle of the sun hitting the water, I couldn't see the bouys well at all, and consequently swam anywhere but a straight line. I'm confident that I probably swam at least and extra 250 or so meters because of poor sighting. At one point, one of the 'guard' boats stopped me and said "You need to swim around that bouy over there" and pointed to a bouy about 75 meters away that I had to back track to get to. This got me pretty discouraged. I felt like quitting when I got back to start the second loop. But, I hung in there. The race was really getting into my head though, and I struggled.

As I got to the starting area for the second lap, I noticed that they were getting ready to start the sprint racers. (30 minutes after they started the Olypmic men), This really bummed me out. I was probably 50 meters past the turn when I saw the first white swim cap pass me by. SO that told me I was well behinnd my goal pace of 35 minutes for the entire swim.
My head kept playing head games with me though. Still had a difficult time sighting the bouys, but I learned that if I started to watch the other swimmers around me, I'd do better swimming in a straight line. My time reflects that. I was nearly 30 minutes on lap one, and only about 20 minutes on lap two. That illustrates how badly I got off course on the first lap. Mentally, at this point the race had pretty much beaten me mentally. I nearly got out of the water and called it quits.
What would you do differently?:

Work more on sighting. This has to be my biggest challenge in the water. I did learn during the race that if I sightied a bit more off the other swimmers around me, I swam a better course.

Work more on getting my head mentally into the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Tranistion ran from the beach to a set of about 30 stairs up to a parking lot where we had our swim/bike transition. I was mentally frustrated, so I walked the entire transition until I was leaving the transtion zone. I was playing the mental game about whether or not I should keep going. I did keep going, and glad I did

Simply focus on the task at hand, and keep my head in the game
Bike
  • 1h 21m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course was deceptively tough for me. I think the headwinds on the long straight away (where I'd hoped to ride well above 20 mph and ended up around 16) took a good toll. The back half gentle downhill was ok, I got up well above 20 on several sections, but the road had a lot of gravel and so I was hesitant to go much faster. Did get up over 32 on on a couple of the downhills toward the end which was great fun!

Try to get into the drops more. Haven't got aero bars, but had I gotten into the drops, the headwind would not have impacted my speed as much I think.

Keep my head in the game.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

This transition should have taken me a minute tops. Had a really hard time getting my running shoes on. The tongue kept pushing into the toe!

Not much I could do.
Run
  • 1h 05m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

The mental game was really beating me on this portion of the race. I started out for the first half mile or so at a good 8:30 pace and thought -- "maybe I can make up some time here". Then the hill came, and it became Mount Everest. I ran up it about 3/4s of the way and started to walk. That was a big mistake, because that started a chain of walks that really slowed me down.

Passed Drew on his way back in at about mile 2. Said I looked good ( he was LYING :) ) and asked me how I was doing. Told him "THIS SUCKS!" He told me later he got a kick out of that -- but I think he agreed!

Kept plugging along, drawing strength and inspiration from my wife. She ran her first triathlon a few weeks ago, came in DFL, but she finished. That told me to keep going. I was far from the last to come in, and so I HAD to finish. The fact she had finished her race was a great inpiration!

About mile 4 VMR719 (Victoria) caught up with me, asked me how I was doing. Told her that I was having a tough time. We walked together for a couple minutes, and we started to talk. I said, "let's get each other home". She agreed, and we paced together the rest of the race. It was REALLY helpful. She got me talking about things not race related, and it kind of surpressed the negative self talk about the race itself, and I was able to start to perform a bit better. Was a great thing. We actually, when running were pacing quite well, definately in the 8:45 range.

Got to the finish line and crossed pretty much together.

Dont' start walking, no matter how bad you want to! Again, keep my head in the game.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of fluid, walked it off and puked! (Randy would be so proud!)

Temperature when I finsihed was 80 degrees.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race was EXTREMELY difficult for me. I wasn't ready mentally for it. I didn't realize how much more mental focus was required to run an Olympic distance race. Physically, I was in condition for it and I think fairly well prepared from that standpoint, but mentally was not prepared at all. Add to that the emotional roller coaster I've been on this past week with my father-in-laws trip to the ICU for the past 6 days, and I just didn't have my game face on. I think had I not already registered for the race, I wouldn't have run it given the issues of the past week.

I was really discouraged during the race, and almost quit several times. I've really got to learn to beat those mental demons that hit from time to time. They hit hard and furious yesterday!

Victoria was a lifesaver! I probably would have taken at least another five to 10 minutes on the run without her encouragement! I have learned the importance of encouraging the other athletes and getting encouragement from them from this experience. Had I found someone to pace with earlier in the run, I'm sure it would have gone much better. I should have been at least 10 minutes faster on the run than I was. A pacing partner would have helped greatly.

Sighting on the swim for sure was another issue, as were the headwinds.

The important thing for me to remember here is that I have to take what the course will give me, and keep up the mental game.

I'm really glad I did this race, all things considered. As the day passed after the race yesterday, I felt much better about the race. I'm still not happy with my performance, but I'm very glad I did the race. Was a GREAT learning experience for me!

Event comments:

This venue is beautiful and a great place for a race. Several people thought the course was more difficult than Echo. I can't say, because I didn't run Echo.

My biggest concern about this race was that there really needed to be more volunteers/support crew in the water. There were only 2 boats and two kayaks on the entire swim course. There should have been more. The one boat would patrol along the long back section, which created wake to swim through, and had there been more kayaks in the water, swimmers might not get so far off course before getting pointed in the right direction again!

They could have done better at closing a few of the roads to traffic as well, particularly the roads closest to the transition areas.

I'll probably run this race again though, so I can beat the course, and not have the course beat me!

Last updated: 2006-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:42 | 1640 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 88/117
Performance: Bad
Suit: Rocket Science Full Sleeve
Course: Two loop triangle. We swam in a clockwise direction.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:08 | 24.85 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 73/117
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was a 2 lap 12.5 mile loop mile loop. There were a couple of fairly tough hills in the first 2 miles of the loop. This was followed by a gently inclined (almost flat, but climbing enough to feel) straight stretch of about 5 miles. Then there was a similarly sloped downhill with some fairly sharp turns for the next 4 miles, and a pretty good downhill on the last mile of the loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:05:45 | 06.21 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 77/117
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. REALLY tough hill around mile 1 that went on for mearly a half a mile
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-08-06 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: Cache Valley Classic Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-08-06 11:13 AM
in reply to: #503367

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Cache Valley Classic Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Here it is!  Enjoy!  Hopefully there is something of value for others here.
2006-08-06 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Wow.  Sounds like a difficult race day.  I'm sorry to hear about the issues, especially the father-in-law.  I hope all works out there.

Sounds to me like you have a very successful race.  You had a difficult time, but pushed through it and completed.  On top of that, you've learned a lot that will help you to be a better triathlete in the future.  Don't underestimate the importance of experience!  And you learn more from challenges than when things go well.

Keep it up!  You're a stud in my book. 

Now let's get you some aerobars.

2006-08-06 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Actually, this is a great report!  Awesome insights. 

I think efforts like this are what triathlon is all about.  Challenging and pushing yourself physically and mentally.  You grew here.  I grew just by reading this.  Epic effort!  Congrats.

2006-08-06 4:27 PM

User image

T1
Brett,
Congrats on being an Olympic triathlete! I know you were discouraged yesterday and that shines through with the RR, but I think you are being too hard on yourself! It wasn't quite what you expected, but hey we all learn and you stuck it out! Next time we want to pace I will try to be faster so I catch you earlier in the run! You think that I helped you, but I see it as the opposite--you helped me! I loved chatting with you on the run in and it was certainly better than the "OK 10 more steps before I die" thoughts going through my head.

Take the experience, learn from it, and rock it on the next one!

Congrats again! I am serious about joining you guys once a week!

Victoria
2006-08-06 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

I can SOOOO relate to you here. You did GREAT for your first olympic distance race.

The more time goes by, the more you will be proud of your performance. As you SHOULD be.

2006-08-06 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Congrats on finishing your first Olympic!  Don't be so hard on yourself.  Sounds like to my you beat those "demons" because you stuck with it and finished.  Great job!
2006-08-07 11:06 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Brett - I hope you don't feel discouraged about this race.  I think you did a great job dealing with everything thrown at you.  It is these types of efforts that reveal the character of a person.  You came up Aces!

And, you have provided me with some motivation for my first Oly in a couple of weeks.  If I'm having a tough time I'll know that you are on my shoulder, rooting me on saying "If I could do it so can you!"

Thanks for the RR.

2006-08-07 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
First Olympic and you finished!!! That's what counts. I did my first Olympic distance in June and did not finish like I wanted either but I stuck it out as well. Now that you have one under your belt I think you will be more mentally prepared and do lots better next time.
2006-08-07 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)

Brett, you ran a great race.  Don't be fooled by your time, remember, the winner didn't even come close to breaking 2 hours for the course.  In addition, you took what the course gave you, which is what we spoke about before the race.  Goal times are something we work towards, but when the conditions aren't conducive, we need to take what we can get.  In my book you did that, and you are an Olympic triathlete. 

That said, I need to ask you, how was it for you?

2006-08-07 11:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brett - Great race man. You are being MUCH too hard on yourself (as were Drew and V). This was a great first Olympic and you should be proud man. I know what those demons are like in the water. I had a bout with them on my first OW sprint last year at Ogden and it's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to go Olympic. It's not always about the time and the speed. If it were I sure as hell wouldn't be doing this. I think you are truly a "triathlete" when you've completed an Oly. It seems to me that each distance (sprint, oly, him, IM) are exponentially harder than the last. Congrats man. I would have been thrilled to have your times. Especially with everything you've had going on this week. To even go up and race was huge!

2006-08-07 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
dont be so hard on yourself...  you had respectable race to report..  just finishing makes you one of the few .. loony people... that do olympic tris.. lol..  AND you didn't quit .. remember that..   stress and mental games can be a huge factor ...  timing is everything as well...  now you have the oly behind you.. and you have somethign to beat for the next one...  your candor, straight forwardness and insight is appreciated.  regards.
2006-08-08 10:20 AM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Quit feeling sorry for yourself Brett and get ready for a great race at Jordanelle. You need a couple of more long rides to practice the mental part of Olympic tris and you will be set. You are the man!

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cache Valley Classic Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed