of 3

2014-02-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: What to drink

Originally posted by Kido

Thinking a bit outside of the box here.  How about not going to bars?  If that's all your friends do, is go to bars and drink, get new friends?

I'm not going to hang out with friends if they are doing things I don't like to do.  And if they are always doing it, find new friends with similar interests.

If it's just that occasional time, just get water and say you are driving or not drinking.  That is always acceptable in my circles.  If it's NOT acceptable and you feel pressured to drink?

Well, see previous suggestion.  NEW FREINDS.

what about work/professional functions where attendance is expected?  like i said earlier, my friends don't give me a hard time about not drinking.  BUT when i am out with co-workers i get a lot of comments and jokes, but when there is a team building dinner i don't have a choice about going usually (you can't bail on those activities every single time)

2014-02-26 2:12 PM

User image

Pro

If you're not drinking at all, I'd go for iced tea or arnold palmers. I drink a ton of seltzer at home.If you're trying to lose weight and still want to drink, vodka on rocks and a slice of lime. Best bang for the buck. I'm about to order the clubs tri kits, so I'm practicing what I'm preaching.

2014-02-26 2:20 PM
in reply to: mehaner

Champion
South Jersey

Originally posted by mehaner

Thinking a bit outside of the box here.  How about not going to bars?  If that's all your friends do, is go to bars and drink, get new friends?

I'm not going to hang out with friends if they are doing things I don't like to do.  And if they are always doing it, find new friends with similar interests.

If it's just that occasional time, just get water and say you are driving or not drinking.  That is always acceptable in my circles.  If it's NOT acceptable and you feel pressured to drink?

what about work/professional functions where attendance is expected?  like i said earlier, my friends don't give me a hard time about not drinking.  BUT when i am out with co-workers i get a lot of comments and jokes, but when there is a team building dinner i don't have a choice about going usually (you can't bail on those activities every single time)

That is really troubling that your colleagues make you feel uncomfortable for not drinking. I've never had a drink in my life (personal decision I made as a teen), and have never been made to feel uncomfortable about it. Whether at frat parties in college, hanging out at the bars/clubs in my early 20s or at work functions, it's never been an issue that I don't drink. In fact, the only time it really ever comes up is when someone wants to give or buy me a drink and I politely decline. At that time, I may get questions, but never in a way that results in comments or jokes. If I don't feel like getting into it or if I don't know the person and feel it could potentially turn into a "thing," I will just say it's because I'm the DD (which I always am anyway).

But, seriously, what does it matter what's in your glass? And, if it does become an issue, it's the other person's problem, not yours. So don't feel badly about it.

I guess the experience could be a little different for those who used to drink and no longer do, but even at that time, if they're your friends, they'll know why you're not drinking. If they're colleagues, they shouldn't really be asking why anyway. You could not be drinking because of a medication you're on or because you're pregnant or because you were struggling with addiction -- all things that colleagues shouldn't really be asking you about.

Good luck!

2014-02-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: LaurenSU02

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Interesting thread. It never would have occured to me that it would be awkward to not be drinking and actually think about trying to hide it or make it less obvious. Who cares what people think? And as a couple of people have mentioned, I bet most people won't care.

As for the drink, I'd just go with a Mark Steffenhagen.

2014-02-26 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by LaurenSU02

That is really troubling that your colleagues make you feel uncomfortable for not drinking. I've never had a drink in my life (personal decision I made as a teen), and have never been made to feel uncomfortable about it. Whether at frat parties in college, hanging out at the bars/clubs in my early 20s or at work functions, it's never been an issue that I don't drink. In fact, the only time it really ever comes up is when someone wants to give or buy me a drink and I politely decline. At that time, I may get questions, but never in a way that results in comments or jokes. If I don't feel like getting into it or if I don't know the person and feel it could potentially turn into a "thing," I will just say it's because I'm the DD (which I always am anyway).

But, seriously, what does it matter what's in your glass? And, if it does become an issue, it's the other person's problem, not yours. So don't feel badly about it.

I guess the experience could be a little different for those who used to drink and no longer do, but even at that time, if they're your friends, they'll know why you're not drinking. If they're colleagues, they shouldn't really be asking why anyway. You could not be drinking because of a medication you're on or because you're pregnant or because you were struggling with addiction -- all things that colleagues shouldn't really be asking you about.

Good luck!

I don't feel bad - I just find it annoying - so I avoid the comments and conversations like I stated above.  

2014-02-26 3:57 PM

Just going to see a friends band I have not seen since in over 25 years. Many people that I have not seen in a very long time and many I may never see again. Well maybe at a funeral.

2014-02-26 4:26 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Hmmmmm,

Well, if it was a work related event and they gave me a hard time about choosing not to drink and it made me feel uncomfortable?  Same as the "new friends" suggestion.  Maybe find a new place to work.

What if they pressured you into marijuana (in a legal state) or eating pork if it's against your religion?  Hang out and do it or deal with the pressure?

I'm already troubled if TRUE friends pressure you to drink.  Even MORE troubled if a work/office place is pressuring you to drink.  Yikes.  These days, it's starting to be more and more problematic to have alcohol in any work events due to legal issues.  I would be leery of a work place where it's acceptable to pressure you to drink in today's legal environment.

2014-02-26 4:31 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Puppetmaster

Just going to see a friends band I have not seen since in over 25 years. Many people that I have not seen in a very long time and many I may never see again. Well maybe at a funeral.

Well then just order some water.  You may get about 10 minutes of ribbing and joking and then probably just spend the rest of the time catching up.  Just laugh at the jokes and they will realize what's up and should let it go, no?

2014-02-26 5:02 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hmmmmm,

Well, if it was a work related event and they gave me a hard time about choosing not to drink and it made me feel uncomfortable?  Same as the "new friends" suggestion.  Maybe find a new place to work.

What if they pressured you into marijuana (in a legal state) or eating pork if it's against your religion?  Hang out and do it or deal with the pressure?

I'm already troubled if TRUE friends pressure you to drink.  Even MORE troubled if a work/office place is pressuring you to drink.  Yikes.  These days, it's starting to be more and more problematic to have alcohol in any work events due to legal issues.  I would be leery of a work place where it's acceptable to pressure you to drink in today's legal environment.

I don't think it's "pressure" to drink, like MEH said it's just kind of annoying to have to answer 20 questions. In your other examples, questioning what someone eats is equally as annoying to me, as someone with a food intolerance. Every time there are doughnuts or leftover cookies I get asked why I'm not eating them and it's annoying but nothing I'm going to quit my job over. On the smoking one, I've definitely heard people who've quit be questioned about it (from people who are still smoking), much like the drinking questions. Again I don't see it as "pressure" but sometimes prying in a little too personal of an area for the work place.

2014-02-26 5:11 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

Originally posted by lisac957

Hmmmmm,

I don't think it's "pressure" to drink, like MEH said it's just kind of annoying to have to answer 20 questions. In your other examples, questioning what someone eats is equally as annoying to me, as someone with a food intolerance. Every time there are doughnuts or leftover cookies I get asked why I'm not eating them and it's annoying but nothing I'm going to quit my job over. On the smoking one, I've definitely heard people who've quit be questioned about it (from people who are still smoking), much like the drinking questions. Again I don't see it as "pressure" but sometimes prying in a little too personal of an area for the work place.

I believe I am uniquely qualified to speak on doughnuts.  All you have to say when someone asks why you're not eating any is, "because I don't want to be fat"....and then look at their belly.  They won't continue to ask.

2014-02-26 6:29 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Hmmmmm,

Why do you have to answer 20 questions?  Especially if it annoys you?  It's not court.  "Just Because" or "none of your business" and "don't ask me again" seem perfect answers and guess what, no more annoying questions. 

What I'm reading is that it's easier to fake drinking or fool people into things so you don't get 20 questions.  Oh, and those 20 questions?  You are not even obligated to answer!  So a web of deceptions to avoid doing something you don't even have to do in the first place!  Crazy to me.

Being annoyed with questions, or offended, or upset, or self-conscious, whatever it is, is on you.  You're the only one that can make the changes to not feel that way.  Be it tricking people that you are drinking or eating or removing yourself from the situation or people, etc.   

TO ME, asking them to stop asking/bugging you seems FAR easier solution than masquerading as a drinker or answering 20 questions, especially if it annoys you.  Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically?

2014-02-26 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Hmmmmm,

Why do you have to answer 20 questions?  Especially if it annoys you?  It's not court.  "Just Because" or "none of your business" and "don't ask me again" seem perfect answers and guess what, no more annoying questions. 

What I'm reading is that it's easier to fake drinking or fool people into things so you don't get 20 questions.  Oh, and those 20 questions?  You are not even obligated to answer!  So a web of deceptions to avoid doing something you don't even have to do in the first place!  Crazy to me.

Being annoyed with questions, or offended, or upset, or self-conscious, whatever it is, is on you.  You're the only one that can make the changes to not feel that way.  Be it tricking people that you are drinking or eating or removing yourself from the situation or people, etc.   

TO ME, asking them to stop asking/bugging you seems FAR easier solution than masquerading as a drinker or answering 20 questions, especially if it annoys you.  Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically?

acually i think you have really over complicated it...

2014-02-26 7:02 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I guess it's a different interpretation of complicated then...

A)  Order mocktails or other drinks to avoid questioning or answer 20 annoying questions about food or drinking to fool/appease people..

B)  Drink/Eat what you want and if you get questioned/hassled about it tell them to knock it off.

To ME, B is less complicated, honest, and what you want.  I guess you think I have made it over complicated?  Fair enough!  Agree to disagree then! 

2014-02-26 7:07 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by LaurenSU02

Good luck!

This was well said, BTW.

2014-02-26 9:48 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

"Just Because" or "none of your business" and "don't ask me again" seem perfect answers and guess what, no more annoying questions. 

I get where you're coming from, but these answers are generally not "polite" - and in the context of what wer'er talking about - a professional/work networking event or team dinner that would be pretty out of line.

Boss/Customer: "Hey Lisa, you aren't having a glass of wine with us tonight?"
Lisa: "No. Don't ask me again. It's none of your business"

I mean I wouldn't even say that to my friends, let alone someone I wanted to stay on professionally good terms with but I guess everyone communicates differently.

2014-02-26 9:55 PM

User image

Pro

"Just Because" or "none of your business" and "don't ask me again" seem perfect answers and guess what, no more annoying questions. 

I get where you're coming from, but these answers are generally not "polite" - and in the context of what wer'er talking about - a professional/work networking event or team dinner that would be pretty out of line.

I mean I wouldn't even say that to my friends, let alone someone I wanted to stay on professionally good terms with but I guess everyone communicates differently.

How about:

Boss/customer:  "hey Lisa, you aren't having a glass of wine with us tonight?"

Lisa: "No, I'm having water."

Simple, done.

I have no idea what I would owe beyond that.

Admittedly, I don't go to business dinners/functions/networking events.....but I don't see how that isn't polite and enough.

2014-02-26 11:16 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
What the heck....have a Ginger Ale with a cherry
2014-02-27 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Left Brain

How about:

Simple, done.

Admittedly, I don't go to business dinners/functions/networking events.....but I don't see how that isn't polite and enough.

that is what i say - again you are missing what we are saying - but their response is "why not?  come on!  just one drink.  don't be such a baby.  i won't tell anyone if you are a lightweight."  all actual things i have heard said to me or others.

if it sounds like a frat party - you are right - some industries are like that.  i am not sure what is wrong with not wanting to deal with any of it?

and no, i'm not quitting my job over a handful of interactions with douchebags.  i am not sure there is a job in all the world that is douchebag free.

2014-02-27 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

If I'm out and not drinking, it's usually because I have a long run/bike the next morning....so I let the person know that. If it continues or there is the "frat party pressure" I start talking about Ironman training, and the race....I show my tattoo and bury them in conversation about running, until they glaze over and walk away. .

2014-02-27 9:38 AM

User image

Pro

How about:

Simple, done.

that is what i say - again you are missing what we are saying - but their response is "why not?  come on!  just one drink.  don't be such a baby.  i won't tell anyone if you are a lightweight."  all actual things i have heard said to me or others.

if it sounds like a frat party - you are right - some industries are like that.  i am not sure what is wrong with not wanting to deal with any of it?

and no, i'm not quitting my job over a handful of interactions with douchebags.  i am not sure there is a job in all the world that is douchebag free.

I hear you......I guess my circle of friends is too old to act that way.  I like to drink beer, a lot, so if I'm at a gathering and I don't have a beer someone will say something like, "not drinking tonight?"....and I say, "no, I've got..... " (whatever it is that has kept me from enjoying a beer).  I'm sure when I was younger someone may have made some of the kinds of comments you are talking about, but at this point in life, quite a few people in my age group have quit drinking for one reason or another.....so it would be really odd to have to field a stupid additional comment.

2014-02-27 10:07 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Problem with the internet I guess.

If somehow from my comments you perceived that my first response to someone asking a harmless questions like "are you having a glass of wine tonight" would basically be on the lines of "NO, and GFY", then you either don't know me very well or I wasn't clear on my message.

What I'm saying is that if someone asks "are you going to have a glass of wine tonight" and if you give a reasonable answer "I'm driving, Lent, race tomorrow, don't feel like drinking" and THEN they proceed play 20 questions and mock you and call you a lightweight and other things mentioned?  THEN tell them to knock it off.

I apologize if my posts gave the impression that my response to a simple question would be instant rudeness.  I'm just saying do what you want and be polite, but also be confident with your decision of what to eat drink or not eat or drink and if someone crosses the line with teasing or questions?  Tell them to knock it off.  Believe it or not, I consider myself a very polite and non-confrontational person and I'm not going to be rude for rude sake.  But I won't tolerate disrespect on MY personal choices of what to eat and drink for very long either.  That approach, and I'm ONLY SPEAKING FOR ME, seems a lot easier than drinking tonic water with a lime to mock a gin and tonic, or sprite with a splash of ginger ale to look like a bourbon and water or order apple juice to look like beer or something and keep that up.  I'll hold my bottle of water with pride and if I get teased?  Laugh it off or tell them to cut it.

Honestly?  I guess I'm just speculating on all of this because in my real life?  Either no one questions it, or if they do?  It's one and done and never thought of again.  I'm fortunately that way I guess, to have a workplace and friends that either don't CARE what I eat/drink or respect my choices.  Also considering what THEY eat/drink?  They have little wiggle room to make fun of anyone else in the first place.

2014-02-27 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

How about:

Simple, done.

I hear you......I guess my circle of friends is too old to act that way.  I like to drink beer, a lot, so if I'm at a gathering and I don't have a beer someone will say something like, "not drinking tonight?"....and I say, "no, I've got..... " (whatever it is that has kept me from enjoying a beer).  I'm sure when I was younger someone may have made some of the kinds of comments you are talking about, but at this point in life, quite a few people in my age group have quit drinking for one reason or another.....so it would be really odd to have to field a stupid additional comment.

i have only ever gotten these comments from older guys trying to be cool ... or something like that.  at trade shows it is always the middle aged dudes out wasted till 4 am, and the under 30 girls getting a cab home after a glass of wine and dinner at 11.

and never from my friends.  i would NOT tolerate this ish from my friends.

2014-02-27 10:12 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Also, to really get deep...

Again, and internet or a typical communication problem that happens:

We are probably all forgetting perspective.  As women around guys, of course the men are going to try to get you to "loosen up" and have some drinks and flirt and all that stuff.  Happens all the time.  They want to talk to pretty girls, so alcohol is a good subject.  I can see why you would have MORE issues dealing with that than say, someone 6'7" who says I'm not drinking because of "this or that".  Thing is, I never get questioned after that.

Maybe you don't see how easy it is for me to say knock it off and I don't see the kind of pressure women might go through.  Well, I see it from the outside looking in, but forget.  Sorry for the confusion.

2014-02-27 10:18 AM

User image

Pro

How about:

Simple, done.

i have only ever gotten these comments from older guys trying to be cool ... or something like that.  at trade shows it is always the middle aged dudes out wasted till 4 am, and the under 30 girls getting a cab home after a glass of wine and dinner at 11.

and never from my friends.  i would NOT tolerate this ish from my friends.

Then I guess I will just be happy I don't have to go to trade shows.

2014-02-27 10:23 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Also, to really get deep...

Again, and internet or a typical communication problem that happens:

We are probably all forgetting perspective.  As women around guys, of course the men are going to try to get you to "loosen up" and have some drinks and flirt and all that stuff.  Happens all the time.  They want to talk to pretty girls, so alcohol is a good subject.  I can see why you would have MORE issues dealing with that than say, someone 6'7" who says I'm not drinking because of "this or that".  Thing is, I never get questioned after that.

Maybe you don't see how easy it is for me to say knock it off and I don't see the kind of pressure women might go through.  Well, I see it from the outside looking in, but forget.  Sorry for the confusion.

agreed - but everyone jumped all over me and said "why are you being fake and that doesn't happen."  didn't even consider that their experience was not the only possible scenario.

but it definitely does happen.  why the heck would i make that up?

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What to drink Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Energy Drink to end all energy drinks!

Started by hangloose
Views: 1276 Posts: 9

2006-01-19 9:52 AM hangloose

flirt like a drunk receptionist Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2559 Posts: 40

2005-09-13 3:53 PM runnergirl29

Drunk Hockey Fans will love to ...

Started by Writebrained
Views: 790 Posts: 11

2005-08-19 5:22 PM smokeater1833

32oz 7-11 slushie drink = free iTunes

Started by scuba-punk
Views: 872 Posts: 3

2005-07-10 12:19 AM ChrisM

How far can you walk this drunk? Pages: 1 2

Started by auto208562
Views: 2559 Posts: 27

2016-02-09 5:51 AM Myra Trabert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : July 5, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The company’s first two offerings are an aerodynamic hydration system and a saddle bag repair kit. PodiumQuest sets itself apart by paying attention to the little things.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 1
Without doubt, the single most glaring error I have noticed is the scarce amount of fluids athletes ingest during a race!

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.