Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What to drink Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-02-24 12:55 AM

Subject: What to drink
So if a person does not drink beer anymore and does not drink pop, what does one have if they go to the bar?
Joe

2014-02-24 5:48 AM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

Subject: RE: What to drink
Water
2014-02-24 5:51 AM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Virgin anything

Soda water with a lime wedge

coffee

2014-02-24 7:49 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

do you not drink BEER or not ANY alcohol?

wine!  margarita!

or water or coffee.  when i'm not drinking for whatever reason (currently doing whole 30) sometimes i'll ask a bartender to give me a sparkling water dressed up like a drink (in the right glass with garnishes and such) to avoid the inevitable annoying conversation "oh you aren't drinking?  why not?  come on!"  so annoying (this is at, for example, work type awkward happy hours - my friends know better than to do this)

2014-02-24 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm a big fan of Arnold Palmers. A friend who is in AA always orders club soda and lime when dining out.

2014-02-24 10:59 AM
in reply to: wingsfan

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

No soda, no beer... that leaves you with scotch on the rocks!

However I must say, one should not be too quick to dismiss the recovery benefits of a good beer!

2014-02-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: mehaner

No alcohol, almost two years now. I don't drink pop never really have. I use to have one now and again, but was diagnoses with Type 2 a few months back. I was going to see a friends band, that I have not seen since 1986. I was looking to avoid the why are you not drinking comments at the table.
Thanks
Joe
2014-02-24 1:38 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by mehaner

wine!  margarita!

or water or coffee.  when i'm not drinking for whatever reason (currently doing whole 30) sometimes i'll ask a bartender to give me a sparkling water dressed up like a drink (in the right glass with garnishes and such) to avoid the inevitable annoying conversation "oh you aren't drinking?  why not?  come on!"  so annoying (this is at, for example, work type awkward happy hours - my friends know better than to do this)

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through instead of just saying, nope, not drinking tonight!

I do not drink at all, so I would just order water or coffee, but I also drink cokes, so there's that. And again, I would only be a bar if it was a required work function I had to go through. Maybe it is different in a social setting, which I never did well in (as far as only having a social drink)

2014-02-24 1:42 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by jford2309

wine!  margarita!

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through instead of just saying, nope, not drinking tonight!

I do not drink at all, so I would just order water or coffee, but I also drink cokes, so there's that. And again, I would only be a bar if it was a required work function I had to go through. Maybe it is different in a social setting, which I never did well in (as far as only having a social drink)

it's a lot of trouble to order seltzer water but ask that it be in a rocks glass with some lime wedges?  really?

2014-02-24 1:45 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Puppetmaster No alcohol, almost two years now. I don't drink pop never really have. I use to have one now and again, but was diagnoses with Type 2 a few months back. I was going to see a friends band, that I have not seen since 1986. I was looking to avoid the why are you not drinking comments at the table. Thanks Joe

Went to a trivia night on Saturday.......3 other couples that we see occasionally and have been friendfs with for a long time.  One couple was not drinking.  Another buddy of mine noticed it first and said, "what happened, did you guys quit drinking?".....the husbandf of the couple simply said, "yeah, it was time".....that was that and it never came up again.  We all enjoyed the night.

It has been my experience that people who quit drinking think other people who drink notice or care more than we do. 

And congrats on your nearly two years.  I always figure if someone quits drinking they needed to.....not much else to say about it..

2014-02-24 1:46 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

wine!  margarita!

it's a lot of trouble to order seltzer water but ask that it be in a rocks glass with some lime wedges?  really?

your right, that sounds alot less than complicated than the original post... 

2014-02-24 1:47 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Puppetmaster No alcohol, almost two years now. I don't drink pop never really have. I use to have one now and again, but was diagnoses with Type 2 a few months back. I was going to see a friends band, that I have not seen since 1986. I was looking to avoid the why are you not drinking comments at the table. Thanks Joe

Went to a trivia night on Saturday.......3 other couples that we see occasionally and have been friendfs with for a long time.  One couple was not drinking.  Another buddy of mine noticed it first and said, "what happened, did you guys quit drinking?".....the husbandf of the couple simply said, "yeah, it was time".....that was that and it never came up again.  We all enjoyed the night.

It has been my experience that people who quit drinking think other people who drink notice or care more than we do. 

And congrats on your nearly two years.  I always figure if someone quits drinking they needed to.....not much else to say about it..

Well now that you bring it up... LB, we should talk, CoJ is concerned about you...

2014-02-24 1:48 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

wine!  margarita!

Several things:

1) No one actually invites you out....so you shouldn't even worry about everyone else is doing when they're out and you're not

2) You'd be a heck of a lot cooler if you drank

3) Beer is carbs. Carbs are energy. Energy makes you faster. Heck....I got squirted with beer about 100 yards from the Ironman finish line and ended up running to the finish.....so it's science.

2014-02-24 1:57 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by Left Brain

Well now that you bring it up... LB, we should talk, CoJ is concerned about you...

Good luck, I'm no quitter.

2014-02-24 1:59 PM
in reply to: bradleyd3

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by bradleyd3

wine!  margarita!

Several things: 1) No one actually invites you out....so you shouldn't even worry about everyone else is doing when they're out and you're not 2) You'd be a heck of a lot cooler if you drank 3) Beer is carbs. Carbs are energy. Energy makes you faster. Heck....I got squirted with beer about 100 yards from the Ironman finish line and ended up running to the finish.....so it's science.

Rebuttal:

1.Not true, they invite me to be the Driver all the time!

2. You have never seen me drinking

3. That wasn't beer

2014-02-24 2:46 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Yeah seltzer water with lime is a great choice - add OJ or cranberry juice for a touch of flavor.

I went to a social thing for work in January, and I had decided to not drink the month of January. It was at a wine bar and I had water. People asked me probably 10 times why I was not drinking. I just said I wasn't! But LB is right, people tend to make it a huge deal when really it's not. 

I have also been designated driver many times and it seems that is a very acceptable answer, it tends to shut people up

2014-02-24 4:18 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
a Nice spicey vodka ceaser sans the Vodka, plus you get the celery stalk to chew on.
2014-02-24 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If you're not worried about the salt, a Virgin Mary is really nice. Spicy, probably low in carbs, and there's probably some vitamins in there somewhere. Plus you get a celery stalk. (At one place here you get a whole raft of veggie sticks with it.) Nobody has to be the wiser that there's no alcohol in it (ditto with any "virgin" drink).
2014-02-24 6:02 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner If you're not worried about the salt, a Virgin Mary is really nice. Spicy, probably low in carbs, and there's probably some vitamins in there somewhere. Plus you get a celery stalk. (At one place here you get a whole raft of veggie sticks with it.) Nobody has to be the wiser that there's no alcohol in it (ditto with any "virgin" drink).

I guess I'll never understand what the worry would be if you don't drink.  Lots of people don't.

2014-02-25 9:00 AM

User image

New user
Grey goose up with blue cheese stuffed olives. Duh. LOL
2014-02-25 11:48 AM
in reply to: 0

I discovered DiSaronno over the holidays; if you like almond liquor, something to just sip on, this is it.
I'm not much of a drinker but enjoy something tasty when I do.

Edited by SGirl 2014-02-25 11:50 AM

2014-02-25 12:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Not a drinker and do not really care for the taste of alcohol. My circle of friends knows that and accepts it no questions asked. anyway, i enjoy being the designated driver if my friends get out of hand which is rare.

Edited by yarislab 2014-02-25 12:59 PM
2014-02-25 3:44 PM
in reply to: yarislab

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Water, Arnold Palmer, or seltzer with a splash of juice.
2014-02-25 8:16 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by eabeam Water, Arnold Palmer, or seltzer with a splash of juice.

Arnold Palmer.  Done & done!

2014-02-26 12:57 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Thinking a bit outside of the box here.  How about not going to bars?  If that's all your friends do, is go to bars and drink, get new friends?

I'm not going to hang out with friends if they are doing things I don't like to do.  And if they are always doing it, find new friends with similar interests.

If it's just that occasional time, just get water and say you are driving or not drinking.  That is always acceptable in my circles.  If it's NOT acceptable and you feel pressured to drink?

Well, see previous suggestion.  NEW FREINDS.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » What to drink Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Energy Drink to end all energy drinks!

Started by hangloose
Views: 1276 Posts: 9

2006-01-19 9:52 AM hangloose

flirt like a drunk receptionist Pages: 1 2

Started by Renee
Views: 2555 Posts: 40

2005-09-13 3:53 PM runnergirl29

Drunk Hockey Fans will love to ...

Started by Writebrained
Views: 790 Posts: 11

2005-08-19 5:22 PM smokeater1833

32oz 7-11 slushie drink = free iTunes

Started by scuba-punk
Views: 872 Posts: 3

2005-07-10 12:19 AM ChrisM

How far can you walk this drunk? Pages: 1 2

Started by auto208562
Views: 2558 Posts: 27

2016-02-09 5:51 AM Myra Trabert
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.

date : May 19, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Alcohol and athletics is a dangerous duo. Serious recreational runners drink more than their sedentary counterparts. This article lists several of the negative consequences of alcohol.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : July 5, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The company’s first two offerings are an aerodynamic hydration system and a saddle bag repair kit. PodiumQuest sets itself apart by paying attention to the little things.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 1
Without doubt, the single most glaring error I have noticed is the scarce amount of fluids athletes ingest during a race!

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : January 30, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Energy bars and fluid replacement drinks have their place – and will surely be the subject of future reviews – but there is nothing quite like the immediate lift an energy gel can provide.