United States
46F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 31s
Overall Rank = 5/526
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and had a cup of coffee. This race wasn't even on my calendar two weeks ago and I just went into it as a continuation of my training. Did my normal training week with no taper so decided to take the day as it presented itself.
Event warmup:

Did some light jogging at the start line. Race was delayed twice due to trains that crossed the route at the half mile mark. Thankfully someone was thinking and was spotting for trains and radioed in to wait until they passed.
Run
  • 21m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first time in 30 years I got to "race". Usually it's me against the clock and I do not pay too much attention to those around me. But today was very special.

This was a very tough course with a lot of long elevation changes. The ups were more long and grinding with the downs shorter and steeper. First half mile was flat and then a half mile of climbing. I went out comfortably hard on the flat but held back a bit for the climb. Passed a lot of people on the climb.

On the next section of gradual down just relaxed and opened my stride. Was passing more folks and then came to a young kid who sprinted ahead as I passed him. He reacted solely to my presence and I soon reeled him in. On the next stretch of uphill he fought back but I knew all the base work I have put in would bury him when it got tough.

There had been three people ahead of me just prior to this that turned around on the course too soon and headed back the way we came instead of continuing the loop so when I passed junior I thought I had overall lead. A position I had not been in for 30 years.

He made one more push on me but I held him off as the last mile was uphill. There was another local running club gal that was also stalking me during the last mile. She was just cruising on my heels and I was sure she was playing the role of cat to my mouse. At this point nobody was in sight and I figured that we were racing for the win with the others going off course. We turned the last corner and I smiled to her and said "go get 'em" and was going to concede. After a few strides, I thought no way and dug deeper than I thought was possible. I outkicked her by about 5 yards. I really had no idea I could sprint like that again. As it turned out the three that cut the course probably never knew it and their results stood. They would have beat me any way so no big deal. The lady I outkicked beat me based on chip time so she got fourth. I used to really race a lot when I was young and it was so fun to be thinking about one on one strategy against others.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I felt I executed very well and am looking forward to a flat, fast 5k in two weeks and a marathon a week after that.
Post race
Warm down:

Threw up.

Waited for my wife and other friends to finish. Hit the great beer garden at the finish, then on to my favorite brewpub, and then a 90 minute massage. God was looking most favorably upon me today and I am most thankful.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. Was very happy overall.

Last updated: 2014-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:31 | 03.1 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 5/526
Performance: Good
Course: It was a tough 5k course. Several hundred feet of elevation. A mix of road out and path back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-03-15 10:18 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: Running of the Green

2014-03-16 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4965887

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: RE: Running of the Green
what a joy to read!
I was surprised to see this...

congratulations to you, Steve-that was a fun race, even with pukage...hell, that makes it better as there is proof you went very anaerobic
nothing like 'running like your hair is on fire' with a big kick at the end
good stuff

training through-outkicked the stalker, buried the boy, watched the front group of 3 go off course and still placed 1AG and top 5 OA

yeah, to say it's going to be a good year would be an understatement
wait until you've done some race specific training and intervals prior to a flat 5K...I'm sure you'll be knocking on the door for sub20
but that marathon training will do just fine-make sure you find a 5K for 1-2wks prior to the marathon, if nothing else

(yes, you can have that much improvement in one season with a big base and good sharpening)

relax and bask in the glow of THAT for a while-nice race
2014-03-17 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn Steve! That is some seriously fast running on a challenging course.

Very, very cool.  What a great race report to read :

Don't call it a comeback!

2014-03-18 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

NIce job, well done indeed. I love that you "buried the kid". Awesome stuff.

2014-03-19 2:08 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Awesome race, Steve.  Especially the warm down!!  :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Running of the Green Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Patty's Run for the Green 5K

Started by gearbri
Views: 865 Posts: 1

2007-06-20 6:00 PM gearbri

St. Patty's Run for the Green 5K

Started by triguy38
Views: 872 Posts: 2

2007-04-07 6:48 PM panout

JOHNNYS RUNNING OF THE GREEN

Started by kgart
Views: 1076 Posts: 3

2006-03-13 9:56 AM max

Running of The Green

Started by markdills38
Views: 958 Posts: 7

2005-03-14 2:26 PM Alpine87

Johnny's Running of the green 5 mile race

Started by kgart
Views: 3384 Posts: 1

2004-03-16 3:58 PM kgart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?