World Endurance Sport
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and packed the tent. No shower because the shower in the campsite didn't work, so I just did my best with the sink. Went into Chelan and located the park again, as we'd done last night. Found a restaurant that was opened that served oatmeal and had a nervous breakfast of oatmeal, a biscuit, and tea.

Got to the site and racked my bike. Laid out all my gear with a pile for run and a pile for bike. Rested. Chatted with some ladies around me. I wish I'd gotten in the water and taken a swim. I should have done that. It was stupid not to.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little bit. Watched the My Next Triathlon people take off.
Swim
  • 25m
  • 400 meters
  • 06m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was absolutely horrible. I got into the water and panicked immediately. I have no idea why. I rolled over onto my back to calm myself and catch my breath, but it never happened. I ended up either doing a crawl, head up (which was getting me NOWHERE) or the backstroke. Every time I'd go onto my back I'd get way off course. I had to stop and hang onto the kayak a few times because I simply could not calm myself. My breathing was ragged and painful. My heart rate was through the roof. I was the very last one out of the lake...very last one. I was even after a poor lady who swam quite a few yards in the complete opposite direction.
What would you do differently?:

No wetsuit. I think the feeling of constriction started the panic attack. I'd stay at the back of the pack like I did this time, but would not let myself get freaked out. Swim the course ahead of time.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 went fine. I fought back tears. I was the last one in the transition area. My poor bike looked so lonely. Roy peeled my wetsuit off and helped me with shoes/socks. I put on my shorts, but sat on a towel while putting on shoes and socks, to soak up water. I didn't drink. I should have, but it was fine.

Not wear the damn wetsuit.
Bike
  • 49m
  • 12 miles
  • 14.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm not sure what my rank was. I didn't come in last. I passed up probably 12 or so people on the bike part. My bike is a cheap Schwinn so I knew my speed wouldn't be great and I was just hoping for at least 12 miles an hour, so was actually kind of pleased with a pace of about 14. There were two complete stops where we had to wait for traffic, and I had to dismount to hydrate at the turnaround. I spent the first mile talking myself down from the ledge that the swim put me on. I then really tried to focus on being grateful for being there, enjoying the scenery, and praying for people who were dealing with things WAY worse than my stupid bad swim.

Had one PowerGel-chocolate. YUCK! I think if it weren't so hot, it would have tasted good, but it was too sticky tasting. Still, it got me through and did not cause stomach upset.

I kept singing the song, "Accentuate the positive" in my head to help me come to grips with the swim. It really helped. I also "woo hooed" people as we went, and called out thanks to the course helpers, and encouragement to the bikers I passed. I figured if nothing else, I was going to have a good attitude even if I didn't have a good time.

Hmmm, probably nothing at this point. It was, overall, a good bike. If I were to continue to do triathlons (very very iffy at this point), I would get a better bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 went fine. I swapped my bike shorts for running shorts because it was so hot. I remembered to grab the medal I bought for Roy so I ran with it in my hand.

Drink more water, but overall it was fine.
Run
  • 27m
  • 3 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. Legs were heavy to start, but that worked itself out quickly. Breathing was hard as I had congested myself with the panic attack, but I just went with it and put it out of my mind. Switched from "Accentuate the positive" to "We are the Champions" going through my head because we are...we are all champions for doing a triathlon. The first mile seemed long, but my time was astounding; about 8 minutes. Blew me away as I am a slow runner, and I'd used my legs SO much on the swim that I was afraid I'd have nothing left. I do think I lost time in the second and third miles, but I'm not sure. I don't know my official splits.

Nothing. I felt good about the run, even though I was running with Roy's medal in my hand. I high fived the kids who were running as I came back in, called out encouragement to people, "woo hoooed" a lot of people, thanked the people on the course cheering for us. It was really great.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran across the finish line and someone put a medal around my neck. I thanked her. Roy was cheering and taking pictures. The lady took off my timing chip and I went over to Roy and started to cry. He hugged me and told me he was so proud of me. I was crying because I did it. I'm not proud of the swim, but I AM proud that I didn't quit. I didn't get out of the water. I didn't walk the course (which was an option I was given) and I didn't come in last. Grabbed some water and gatorade and walked around a lot in circles. Ate a few orange slices and a few pieces of banana. Cheered on runners as they came in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly the swim due to really using up my oxygen and ripping my poor lungs with the panic attack. If I am going to do another one, I am going to need to swim a lot more. Right now I swim twice a week and I know I *can* do it, as I've swam three times this course length. No more wetsuit. It hindered me too much.

Event comments:

Overall I think things went well. I would have liked more water stations. At one point on the run there were only about 4 cups of water on a table I ran by and the two ladies were just sitting there visiting. Other races people hand you the water, you don't have to run up to a table. I expected more activities after, although I did not stay for the Beach Party. There also needed to be more food for the price we paid. All there were were orange slices and bananas, and not enough gatorade. I'm not sure I'd do a "My Next Triathlon" with this group as I felt it was overpriced, and the post race support wasn't there. They needed some good carbs to eat as soon as you came off the course. But overall things were fine. The swimming help was astounding. I am SO thankful to the guy in the kayak.

Last updated: 2004-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:00 | 400 meters | 06m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
HR was through the roof. Breathing was horrible, ragged, and shallow.
Suit: Black speedo and wetsuit
Course: Simple point to point course along the shoreline.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:00 | 12 miles | 14.69 mile/hr
Time is an estimate, but I think that's about right. I'll know later. HR average was about 154, a little higher than normal I think due to the swim.
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills out and back along a highway and alt state route highway. On the way out Lake Chelan was on my right, and a winery on my left. Beautiful course! Absolutely breathtaking. After the swim my goal was to settle down and enjoy the rest of the trip.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:00 | 03 miles | 09m  min/mile
Again, time is approximate. I know my first mile was a little over an 8 min mile, so for me that was great. HR stayed at about 160 or so, on average. I didn't use the timing feature of my HRM because I didn't want others to be bothered by the beeping.
Course: Straight out and back through a neighborhood, into town. Some light hills, last one coming in. I love running hills on the way IN to a race! Yeah! Actually I just tell myself "You're good at hills. No sweat." It may not be true, but I believe hills are 3/4 mental, 1/4 physical. So I just say "You're good at hills. No sweat." the entire time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-07-11 10:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: My First Triathlon

2004-07-11 11:05 PM
in reply to: #36735

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: My First Triathlon
Way to go teechur! I admire you for continuing your race after a difficult start. It's great that you ended up passing so many people. This shows you how determined you are and is a testimony to your optimism. Congrats!!!!
2004-07-12 8:57 AM

Good for you Tory to finish the entire race after being so frustrated with your swim and the panic you experienced.

This is the Tri I could not participate in due to my foot injury. I was registered for My Next on the same day you did your first. I was there in support of my friend who was also doing her first. I saw you come in from the swim and was cheering you on. I didn't know it was you. You sure do have a very supportive husband!

I agree with your assessment of this Tri. I will not attempt to do this race in the future. Besides the lack of after race food (which I was so surprised about), I found the area very unorganized and not very well monitored. There were too many non-athletes in the transition area, I saw a couple of  people riding their bikes in the transition area (a real NoNo), one even rode around the T area with no helmet (a very big NoNo), the outward bound run course was clogged with spectators with no one (or no tape) keeping them back, vonlunteers were NOT vigilant in their jobs -- chatting or walking away from their post and rushing back to direct a runner to the correct exit almost too late. I think I could go on and on, but you get the idea of how I felt about it. In addition, I personally did not like the t-shirt! I didn't get one as I didn't race, but I do not feel this a great loss!

Anyway Tory -- good job in your first tri. Think about how much better you can feel after your next one! Don;t give up quite yet -- give it another chance. I would suggest the Tri the TYR sponsored (and apparently has a new sponsor) in Vancouver WA the last Sunday in June. I did that one as my first last year and was very disappointed to have to be involved in a wedding this year and not do the race again. I will do it next year though.

Sorry for such a long post -- I get carried away sometimes.

Nancy

2004-07-12 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
You have the greatest attitude! Great job sticking it out and seeing it through!
2004-07-12 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Just an amazing effort, especially for your first tri when I think a lot of people would be tempted to say "Well to hell with THAT!" after such a difficult time on the swim. The first open water swim I did was a kilometer in cold, rough surf with a lot of really strong swimmers, wearing a surfing wetsuit that didn't fit that well. Especially in the first few hundred meters I seriously thought about just abandoning and grabbing a boat for a tow back to shore, so I have some idea of how you felt. You're a star for pulling through the whole thing.

Also, I'm sorry the organization for your tri was so poor. I've never seen anything like that. Please ask around for tris in your area that people recommend and give it at least one more shot. After such a fantastic effort the first time you owe it to yourself to have a really positive triathlon experience: great support, a massage and a party afterward, all that! Everything you've posted here about your weight loss and lifestyle changes has been really inspirational. Thanks for sharing it with all of us!
2004-07-12 1:59 PM

User image

Nancy mentioned the Women's Tyr Triathlon in Vancouver, I would put in a big plug for that one. This year the water was warm enough for no wetsuit, the bike and run are on flat, country roads, lots of volunteers. The course is very well marked, and Vancouver Lake Park is a great place for your supporters to hang out and cheer you on.

2004-07-12 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
You should be proud for sticking with it! Good job and congratulations!

Kelly
2004-07-12 5:45 PM

Wow!!!!

Congratulations...I don't really know you but after reading through your log I am very proud of you.

Frank Galvan
2004-07-13 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
First off -- way to go!! It takes a lot to keep going after such a rough start.

And second, I hear ya! I did my first tri this past weekend as well (the Danskin tri in Pleasant Prairie, WI)... and I think we could have switched places and not known it! Out of about 3000 participants, there were only about 200 that didn't fare as well as me on the swim (I'm pretty sure at least 3 later heats caught up and passed me). I thought I was prepared and in control, and then I had a total panic attack when I hit the water -- even though I knew I was okay, I just couldn't calm myself down. Tried doing the backstroke and just ended up way off course. Was saved by one of the Danskin "Water Angels" who are there specifically looking for people like me in distress -- she gave me a water noodle to hold on to so that I could convince myself I wasn't going to drown. Somehow managed to get across the lake and crawled up the shore, vowing never to subject myself to this again.

Of course, it seems to be a little like childbirth... even now, just a few days later, I don't seem to remember how terrifying the experience was and I'm already starting to think about what I need to do to be better prepared for the next one (next one??!?!?). I've heard that the Total Immesion training is well worth the money and time, so I think I'll look into that for next season.

Again - congratulations!!

Laura.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My First Triathlon Rss Feed