Subject: RE: Lifetime Ban
Well done commissioner. Well done.

2014-04-29 5:41 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Kido

Gawd Damn.  I misspoke.  I KNOW what freedom of speech is. 

But please, continue to explain what it means over, and over, and over again.  I might get it after the 12 time someone defines it?

The point/question I was trying to make, is that if you have a private conversation that was illegally recorded people don't agree with (as terrible as it is) that they can ban you for life from the sport/your team/venue, force you to sell your franchise, and fine you 2.5 million dollars without any protection/recourse?  I guess the NBA can, due to the agreements they have with owners.  I'm not talking about protection from government persecution, but a legal argument that they can't simply take everything he has because they don't agree with what he said in a private conversation.  I'm not talking first amendment protection, but a legal argument/battle.

But back to my original statement?  I would imagine there will be a legal maneuvering from a guy who supposedly loves to litigate and has just about an infinite bankrole to pursue a battle...  I doubt this will go away quietly.  I don't agree with what he said - he's a Dbag.  I'm not complaining about the penalty.  I'm simply saying, I'm SURE he will find some way to fight back.

UNLESS some 81 yr old with 17 billion dollars just doesn't care if  he loses his team and walks away to do something more interesting.

Yes, they can. And HE agreed to it. HE even AGREED to binding arbitration for all matters when he signed the contract. That is what he agrees to by being an owner of a NBA franchise. As usual... if you do not want stupid chit happening to you, don't do stupid chit. He got exactly what he asked for.

2014-04-29 6:05 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I wonder if this will be a benchmark event.  I mean, we have players and coaches saying racial things on the court, beating up fans, committing all kinds of off the court/field offenses - many illegal, and they get what?  A short suspension?  Nothing?

Obviously they can pick and choose, but it will be interesting to see if an owner gets a DUI or charged with domestic violence and see what the penalty is.

For example, Jim Irsay (Colts Owner - Yes, I know NFL) was arrested and has four felony counts/preliminary charges of driving under the influence and possession of a controlled substances.  Not sure if anything will happen to him. There is no talk of banning or forcing him out.  What do you do to someone who is jeopardizing the lives of people and breaking laws if private, bigoted statements makes you lose a team.

I don't care he's gone.  We don't need the Sterlings and Schotts spreading their hate in the world.  But it will be interesting to see how the NBA handles future altercations after dishing out a penalty like this.

It's polarizing.  Listening to Sports radio all day and everyone is all over the place.  Lots of legal "experts" and none seem to agree. 

2014-04-29 6:19 PM

User image

Elite

Ya they did pretty much nuke him. So many inconsistencies in professional sports. Some priorities are pretty out of wack. If you are talent making people money, it's all good. But look at Incognito... benchmark event? Plenty of head scratchers. But it is obvious as society changes, so do expected norms of professional sports... even if they are WAY behind. 

2014-04-29 6:25 PM

User image

Regular
He has been a jerk for a long time with worse allegations documented in court against him. It is very hypocritical of all those people in the know, (Doc Rivers, Chris Paul who had plenty of opportunity to do their due diligence on the man before signing their contracts) to come out and kill the guy now. He has lost in court multiple times for unfair housing practice against African-Americans and Hispanics. Closer to home for the NBA, Kareem, Elgin Baylor and Baron Davis have all said the guy is a creep and discriminates. It is well known that he does not pay white players competitively. He complained that the Clippers got the raw end of the deal on the Bledsoe for Reddick trade because you don't pay a white guy $7M.

I'm not saying Sterling is ft to be an NBA owner, but for us to be all shocked and up in arms because this moron shot his mouth off to his GF is pretty stupid. Silver did what he had to do to protect his brand and that's the bottom line, it has nothing to do with Silver's ethical make-up or anything else. He had to make a statement to the players and the other owners that he will do what it takes to protect the cash printing machine that the NBA has become.
2014-04-29 6:31 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Its Only Money He has been a jerk for a long time with worse allegations documented in court against him. It is very hypocritical of all those people in the know, (Doc Rivers, Chris Paul who had plenty of opportunity to do their due diligence on the man before signing their contracts) to come out and kill the guy now. He has lost in court multiple times for unfair housing practice against African-Americans and Hispanics. Closer to home for the NBA, Kareem, Elgin Baylor and Baron Davis have all said the guy is a creep and discriminates. It is well known that he does not pay white players competitively. He complained that the Clippers got the raw end of the deal on the Bledsoe for Reddick trade because you don't pay a white guy $7M. I'm not saying Sterling is ft to be an NBA owner, but for us to be all shocked and up in arms because this moron shot his mouth off to his GF is pretty stupid. Silver did what he had to do to protect his brand and that's the bottom line, it has nothing to do with Silver's ethical make-up or anything else. He had to make a statement to the players and the other owners that he will do what it takes to protect the cash printing machine that the NBA has become.

Thank you

2014-04-29 6:52 PM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Its Only Money He has been a jerk for a long time with worse allegations documented in court against him. It is very hypocritical of all those people in the know, (Doc Rivers, Chris Paul who had plenty of opportunity to do their due diligence on the man before signing their contracts) to come out and kill the guy now. He has lost in court multiple times for unfair housing practice against African-Americans and Hispanics. Closer to home for the NBA, Kareem, Elgin Baylor and Baron Davis have all said the guy is a creep and discriminates. It is well known that he does not pay white players competitively. He complained that the Clippers got the raw end of the deal on the Bledsoe for Reddick trade because you don't pay a white guy $7M. I'm not saying Sterling is ft to be an NBA owner, but for us to be all shocked and up in arms because this moron shot his mouth off to his GF is pretty stupid. Silver did what he had to do to protect his brand and that's the bottom line, it has nothing to do with Silver's ethical make-up or anything else. He had to make a statement to the players and the other owners that he will do what it takes to protect the cash printing machine that the NBA has become.

I didn't even know the guy existed 2 days ago. Not every body knows every body. I'm only shocked that a guy that old and rich has not learned who to keep his trap shut around. That perhaps a mistress would exploit a situation for money. That is shocking to me. A racist old white guy... not so much. 

2014-04-29 7:51 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro

Originally posted by powerman

I didn't even know the guy existed 2 days ago. Not every body knows every body. I'm only shocked that a guy that old and rich has not learned who to keep his trap shut around. That perhaps a mistress would exploit a situation for money. That is shocking to me. A racist old white guy... not so much. 

Yeah, if you don't follow the NBA then you wouldn't know about this idiot.  He's been this way forever.....which is one of the points Only Money makes.  It comes off as somewhat disingenuous that some of the players are now up in arms over his statements.  Nobody has had any problem taking his money all these years and this is certainly not the first time he has shown his colors.

2014-04-29 9:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

Originally posted by Left Brain

Yeah, if you don't follow the NBA then you wouldn't know about this idiot.  He's been this way forever.....which is one of the points Only Money makes.  It comes off as somewhat disingenuous that some of the players are now up in arms over his statements.  Nobody has had any problem taking his money all these years and this is certainly not the first time he has shown his colors.

Well then... that sort of changes things. Not the punishment, but I get what you are saying.

2014-04-29 10:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Well then... that sort of changes things. Not the punishment, but I get what you are saying.

All of this stuff has a context.  I'm tired of hearing from players/coaches in his organization who have known about him forever, and kept cashing the checks.  It's like now that their dirty little secret is out in the open they all want to pile on....but never said a word while they collected millions.  Guess what.......shut up.  Yeah, the idiot is getting what he had coming to him, but they don't get to throw stones with the crowd...... because they traded their stones, and their balls, in a long time ago. Pathetic. 

Oh...almost forgot....my sentiments will go double for the other owners if they force him to sell.  Fork them.  This is old news......but now that the world knows they get forced to act?  They get no pass from me.....spineless greedy arseholes, if they pull that crap, is all they will be.  Of course, you (collective you) are free to think they are justifiably outraged in their actions.  Sure.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-29 10:21 PM
2014-04-29 10:39 PM

User image

NC
I think this was all good. NBA owns a brand and they gave this guy a franchise. They are, essentially, revoking it. Fine. However, does the NBA now crack down on other sorts of racist/homophobic/sexist/whatnot slurs that happen all the time? I doubt it. I do understand an owner of a team is different, but why not just shut it down?

2014-04-29 10:44 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog       does the NBA now crack down on other sorts of racist/homophobic/sexist/whatnot slurs that happen all the time? 

SHHHHHHHH!!!  Nobody knows about that.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-29 10:46 PM
2014-04-29 10:51 PM

User image

NC

Originally posted by Goosedog       does the NBA now crack down on other sorts of racist/homophobic/sexist/whatnot slurs that happen all the time? 

Don't ask, don't tell.

2014-04-29 10:58 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog

Don't ask, don't tell.

But if they find out......hang somebody!  (try to make it an 80 year old nutjob at the end of his usefulness as a paycheck, everybody will get on board)

2014-04-29 11:04 PM

User image

NC

(try to make it an 80 year old nutjob at the end of his usefulness as a paycheck, everybody will get on board)

This was on the Twitter (I guess we go ahead and switch this to the political joe?):

Bill Maher ?@billmaher Apr 28
Donald Sterling is 81. You know what will cure this type of racism? The flu. But Blake Griffin is 25, how do we cure him of Creationism?
2014-04-29 11:07 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Left Brain (try to make it an 80 year old nutjob at the end of his usefulness as a paycheck, everybody will get on board)
This was on the Twitter (I guess we go ahead and switch this to the political joe?): Bill Maher ?@billmaher Apr 28 Donald Sterling is 81. You know what will cure this type of racism? The flu. But Blake Griffin is 25, how do we cure him of Creationism?

Damn. LOL

Wait.....I hate Bill Maher, he's a punk.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-04-29 11:10 PM

2014-04-30 7:08 AM

Master
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by Kido

I wonder if this will be a benchmark event.  I mean, we have players and coaches saying racial things on the court, beating up fans, committing all kinds of off the court/field offenses - many illegal, and they get what?  A short suspension?  Nothing?

Obviously they can pick and choose, but it will be interesting to see if an owner gets a DUI or charged with domestic violence and see what the penalty is.

For example, Jim Irsay (Colts Owner - Yes, I know NFL) was arrested and has four felony counts/preliminary charges of driving under the influence and possession of a controlled substances.  Not sure if anything will happen to him. There is no talk of banning or forcing him out.  What do you do to someone who is jeopardizing the lives of people and breaking laws if private, bigoted statements makes you lose a team.

I don't care he's gone.  We don't need the Sterlings and Schotts spreading their hate in the world.  But it will be interesting to see how the NBA handles future altercations after dishing out a penalty like this.

It's polarizing.  Listening to Sports radio all day and everyone is all over the place.  Lots of legal "experts" and none seem to agree. 

Read your contract when you buy a franchise like that and you'll know. This is really all that this is a contract matter. He is an owner of a team but he doesn't own the NBA so he has rules he has to follow.

If your contract says you get fined for a DUI then you get fined for a DUI.

Will Sterling try to sue the NBA? Maybe but I don't think the commissioner cares. He had to nip this in the bud during playoffs

GO GRIZZLIES!

We eat lightening and crap THUNDER!
2014-04-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

I have thought about this a lot, and have gone back and forth a bit.

When it comes down to it...I do think the punishment is correct.  The reason being is that I believe there are two separate issues here.  The action itself, and the repercussions of those actions.

The NBA is a business.  It depends on it's fans and sponsors to generate money, and when you do something to jeopardize that business, action needs to be taken.  You can debate whether or not the public and players are overreacting to the statements Sterling made, but it is what it is.  If the vast majority of the people that put money into your product are upset, then action needs to be taken to protect your business.  Owners know this when they buy a team.  CEO's of big companies know that their dirty laundry matters more than the guys that work in their mail room.  It's just how the way the world works.  If you don't want your personal life to matter...don't work in a business or in a position that's in the eye of the public.  If you don't want to get black balled by your fellow country club members...don't join a country club.

When Kobe Bryant cheats on his wife, or lets a gay slur roll off his tounge, people will get upset, but they also have some room for forgiveness because he's a great player.  Is that fair?  In the world of business...nobody cares if it's fair...they just care if people will still pay money to watch him play.  Obviously the answer is yes.  When Riley Cooper drops the N bomb...and his teammates and some fans are willing to forgive him, but not forgive Sterling...is that fair?  Again...it's not about what's fair...it's about how people are going to react.  Riley Cooper is just a receiver and not someone the general public is willing to get really furious about.  Donte Stallworth was under the influence and killed a man with his car.  Served his time, then was allowed back in the league.  You would think that killing someone would get you a lifetime ban right?  But the fact of the matter is that one NFL player and those specific actions aren't enough to cause a public uproar where players and fans are willing to boycott games.  But a billionare white owner who makes racist comments in a private conversation is capable of causing that type of uproar.  

Every NBA owner will vote to have Sterling sell.  Because they would be stupid not to.  Even if they believe that these type of actions should not warrant a forced sale, the repercussions are too great if the public finds out they vote no.  Owners need to protect their business.  Silver is the commissioner who is hired by the owners.  It's his job to make rulings in the best interest of the other owners.  So none of this surprises me.

2014-04-30 3:21 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by Jason N

When it comes down to it...I do think the punishment is correct.  The reason being is that I believe there are two separate issues here.  The action itself, and the repercussions of those actions.

The NBA is a business.  It depends on it's fans and sponsors to generate money, and when you do something to jeopardize that business, action needs to be taken.  You can debate whether or not the public and players are overreacting to the statements Sterling made, but it is what it is.  If the vast majority of the people that put money into your product are upset, then action needs to be taken to protect your business.  Owners know this when they buy a team.  CEO's of big companies know that their dirty laundry matters more than the guys that work in their mail room.  It's just how the way the world works.  If you don't want your personal life to matter...don't work in a business or in a position that's in the eye of the public.  If you don't want to get black balled by your fellow country club members...don't join a country club.

When Kobe Bryant cheats on his wife, or lets a gay slur roll off his tounge, people will get upset, but they also have some room for forgiveness because he's a great player.  Is that fair?  In the world of business...nobody cares if it's fair...they just care if people will still pay money to watch him play.  Obviously the answer is yes.  When Riley Cooper drops the N bomb...and his teammates and some fans are willing to forgive him, but not forgive Sterling...is that fair?  Again...it's not about what's fair...it's about how people are going to react.  Riley Cooper is just a receiver and not someone the general public is willing to get really furious about.  Donte Stallworth was under the influence and killed a man with his car.  Served his time, then was allowed back in the league.  You would think that killing someone would get you a lifetime ban right?  But the fact of the matter is that one NFL player and those specific actions aren't enough to cause a public uproar where players and fans are willing to boycott games.  But a billionare white owner who makes racist comments in a private conversation is capable of causing that type of uproar.  

Every NBA owner will vote to have Sterling sell.  Because they would be stupid not to.  Even if they believe that these type of actions should not warrant a forced sale, the repercussions are too great if the public finds out they vote no.  Owners need to protect their business.  Silver is the commissioner who is hired by the owners.  It's his job to make rulings in the best interest of the other owners.  So none of this surprises me.

Well said Jason. 

First of all, I thing the guy is a total puke and something needed to happen.

What is really pathetic about this is the number of people that have come out and said that he’s been this way for YEARS and everyone in the Clippers organization, including several execs in the NBA corporate office, knew about it. They accepted his behavior.  They accepted his opinions.  And they certainly accepted their pay checks.   If that’s the case, why is it happening now???

I’m a firm believer that something is certainly behind the push to get Sterling out and this phone call just gave whoever is pulling the strings the needed ammunition to make it happen.

I was driving when I was listening to the live press conference and almost crashed I was so blown away.  Lifetime ban?  $2.5 mill fine?  Forced to sell team?  Wow!  Maybe this is the first step to clean up a sport that needs a major house cleaning.  I’d love to be able to take my kids to a game and not hear cursing and racial slurs, and watch guys on the court that are not criminals (assault, drugs, burglary, DUI’s etc, etc, etc).  It is certainly NOT an environment to bring my boys to that love the sport of basketball. 

Maybe this decision give allow Adam Silver the power to get the NBA back on track.

2014-04-30 7:25 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Pro

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

What is really pathetic about this is the number of people that have come out and said that he’s been this way for YEARS and everyone in the Clippers organization, including several execs in the NBA corporate office, knew about it. They accepted his behavior.  They accepted his opinions.  And they certainly accepted their pay checks.   If that’s the case, why is it happening now???

The ONLY reason it's happening now is because the dirty laundry got aired in public.  You can rest assured that if his recorded conversation would have never made the headlines it would be business as usual for the Clippers and the NBA......even though they undeniably knew everything the public knows now.  I agree that it's pathetic......not that Mr. Idiot is getting his due, screw him,  but that nobody had the gonads to stand up and say THIS IS WRONG!  Hell, even the way he got outed stinks.  It was doesn't done out of any moral obligation or sense of right and wrong, it was done out of spite and revenge and greed.  They all deserve each other.

2014-04-30 8:53 PM

User image

Pro

And mow it's revealed that even the NAACP is willing to close it's eyes to keep the money flowing.  You can't make this stuff up.  LMAO

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/opinion/granderson-naacp-sterling/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 

I'll say it again.....they all deserve each other.

2014-05-01 6:39 AM

User image

Regular
Magic is behind it all so he can buy the Clippers with the Guggenheim group!! I'm just going to put that out there.
2014-05-01 6:58 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

The ONLY reason it's happening now is because the dirty laundry got aired in public.  You can rest assured that if his recorded conversation would have never made the headlines it would be business as usual for the Clippers and the NBA......even though they undeniably knew everything the public knows now.  I agree that it's pathetic......not that Mr. Idiot is getting his due, screw him,  but that nobody had the gonads to stand up and say THIS IS WRONG!  Hell, even the way he got outed stinks.  It was doesn't done out of any moral obligation or sense of right and wrong, it was done out of spite and revenge and greed.  They all deserve each other.

it's happening now because sponsors threatened to pull out if the NBA didn't take action.  it's a business.  he made a financially based decision.  keep the games going, keep the sponsors happy, keep the money coming in.

2014-05-01 9:51 AM
in reply to: mehaner

Master
Memphis, TN
Apparently this was known before but there was no smoking gun proof needed for a move like this. Now they have it with the recordings and he's out. It's like that guy at work that is a little shady but no real proof until he crossed the line and it's documented and then he gets fired. I think it's the same here.

2014-05-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Jtiger

Apparently this was known before but there was no smoking gun proof needed for a move like this. Now they have it with the recordings and he's out. It's like that guy at work that is a little shady but no real proof until he crossed the line and it's documented and then he gets fired. I think it's the same here.

Proof, he lost two multimillion dollar fair housing lawsuits based on discriminatory practices. That isn't proof?
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lifetime Ban Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Banned Substances

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 1020 Posts: 12

2006-06-27 6:43 AM run4yrlif

Gay Marriage Ban: For or Against? Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 7118 Posts: 307

2006-06-17 12:45 PM dingorock

gay marriage ban Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by autumn
Views: 6054 Posts: 190

2006-03-25 9:06 AM akabak

Banned substances found in Armstrong hotel room

Started by jkbostic
Views: 1135 Posts: 13

2005-09-03 10:02 AM smokeater1833

Judged sports should be banned

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1161 Posts: 8

2004-08-24 4:25 PM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.