Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-05-01 10:51 AM
in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

NC
Subject: RE: Lifetime Ban
Originally posted by Its Only Money

Proof, he lost two multimillion dollar fair housing lawsuits based on discriminatory practices. That isn't proof?

No, it's not because he didn't "lose" those lawsuits. He settled them, as I understand it.

2014-05-01 11:05 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

If the Milwaukee Bucks just recently sold for $550 Million dollars, and they totally suck, how much are the Clippers worth?

2014-05-01 2:34 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Its Only Money Proof, he lost two multimillion dollar fair housing lawsuits based on discriminatory practices. That isn't proof?
No, it's not because he didn't "lose" those lawsuits. He settled them, as I understand it.

Doesn't even matter.  The only reason the NBA is coming down hard on Sterling is because of public reaction.  Sterling's prior lawsuits did not generate this type of outcry in the public and the media...thus no further punishment was deemed necessary.

This whole issue is less about morals and racism than it is about money.

2014-05-01 2:52 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
, California

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by Its Only Money Proof, he lost two multimillion dollar fair housing lawsuits based on discriminatory practices. That isn't proof?

Doesn't even matter.  The only reason the NBA is coming down hard on Sterling is because of public reaction.  Sterling's prior lawsuits did not generate this type of outcry in the public and the media...thus no further punishment was deemed necessary.

And because of the players' reaction.  The players' union was talking about boycotting the postseason games.  That probably had a bigger effect than the public, since it directly hits their bottom line.  The issue IS about racism, but without a big $$ cost, you're right, the punishment wouldn't have gone this far.

2014-05-01 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Which makes you wonder if there isn't some rich guy club conspiracy to get this guy out. I don't give two licks about the NBA, never have and never will. I also don't care what some deranged old guy says to his gold digging ho girlfriend. I know some care about the NBA, but it really isn't very popular as compared to say the NFL.

I watch CBS in the morning just because there is nothing else on and it is funny to hear their ridiculous bias on everything. Why in the heck did they spend 10-12 minutes every morning for the last week on this one story? They spent as much time on this as they did flight 370 when it first happened. In the grand scheme, some stupid comment is not really important, but it got the same news coverage as a plane full of people dissapearing. It got more coverage than the mudslide in WA that killed tons of people. 

Makes you wonder, does the "public outcry" drive the news or does the news create the illusion of public outcry? I personally don't know anyone who cares who owns the Clippers. 

Not saying anything against the punishment, I really don't care what they do with him. Just seems like the news agencies created a lot of hoopla and at least in my circles, the "outcry" is just not really there. 

I mean, if we hung every person out to dry who made a stupid comment we would have 24 hour news stations with 100 year backlogs.  

2014-05-01 7:36 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Originally posted by spudone

And because of the players' reaction.  The players' union was talking about boycotting the postseason games.  That probably had a bigger effect than the public, since it directly hits their bottom line.  The issue IS about racism, but without a big $$ cost, you're right, the punishment wouldn't have gone this far.

Here's what you have to consider though.  When a player boycotts the post season, his salary is not impacted as your salary represents the regular season only.  You are basically playing "for free" in the post season.  I'd like to know what the players stance would be about boycotting the post season if the league lawyers let them know that such a boycott would terminate any contract they might have going into the 2014-15 season and beyond.  

You want to know who is not going to publicly crucify Sterling?  His lawyers, assistants, chef, driver, financial consultants, gardeners, etc.  You know...the guys that actually have something to lose by upsetting Sterling with their opinion.

2014-05-01 10:59 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Can someone please help me understand why his comments are getting him booted from the NBA?

I heard a transcript of his conversation with his girlfriend, and while I think 25% of it is truly awful, was he not trying to convey that OTHER racist people will look at her poorly if she is seen with a different race? Is he not assuming that everyone else is racist too and is just looking out for his girlfriend/himself?

Obviously, this is not my belief. I lived well in Toronto, which is a very multicultural city. But I assess this situation by thinking that Sterling probably grew up in a racist environment, tried his best to appreciate other cultures, but believes he is a 'realist' when it comes to the sadness of the world. This behavior could be addressed, much like anger management, or drug abuse, no? Is there other information I am missing?

Side note: A forced sale is not a sale. It's stealing money from him. How do you get true market value for a team when you cannot refuse a sale?
Have I become too much a pessimist myself? An instigator?
2014-05-01 11:17 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

NC
Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean

Can someone please help me understand why his comments are getting him booted from the NBA?

I'll try. It's a weird plantation owner mentality. "I feed them," and so on. He is an idiot, and now you have clear audio confirming. And, really, the reason he is getting booted is because it is in the best interests of the other owners.

2014-05-01 11:20 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

NC
  • . A forced sale is not a sale. It's stealing money from him.

• Bro's gonna make like $700M plus. He just can't sit court-side with his girlfriend while he's still married.

2014-05-02 7:09 AM
    in reply to: 0

Master
    Memphis, TN

I heard a transcript of his conversation with his girlfriend, and while I think 25% of it is truly awful, was he not trying to convey that OTHER racist people will look at her poorly if she is seen with a different race? Is he not assuming that everyone else is racist too and is just looking out for his girlfriend/himself?

Obviously, this is not my belief. I lived well in Toronto, which is a very multicultural city. But I assess this situation by thinking that Sterling probably grew up in a racist environment, tried his best to appreciate other cultures, but believes he is a 'realist' when it comes to the sadness of the world. This behavior could be addressed, much like anger management, or drug abuse, no? Is there other information I am missing?

Side note: A forced sale is not a sale. It's stealing money from him. How do you get true market value for a team when you cannot refuse a sale?
    Have I become too much a pessimist myself? An instigator?

Because his comments cost the NBA sponsors and they can't have that or the bad PR.

The forced sale is really no different from a board firing a CEO of a company and making him sell his stock in the company.

I think this guy bought in the franchise for $12 million and now it's worth $800... he'll be okay financially.

As an NBA owner you don't have ultimate authority to do whatever you want. You bought a franchise in the NBA and are ultimately under their control and represent their brand. When you do something to tarnish the image of that brand anger management won't do at this level. They had to take quick, decisive action and they did. Kudos to the NBA.

The forced sale isn't a done deal yet. I think 3/4 of the other owners have to vote for that to be valid. It's just an option on the table but if he can't have any contact with his team or facilities then what good is he to the team?

Edited by Jtiger 2014-05-02 7:10 AM
    2014-05-02 8:27 AM
    in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    An 80 year old man has his private conversation recorded and exposes his very unpopular racial biases in trying to control his 30-something yo ho's associations/image. He is a multi-millionaire and was fined $2.5 million. At the same time, a university is giving back his $3 million donation he made for medical research. So he has a net $500k extra coin in his pocket. He is 80 years old and has cancer. I don't really think he gives a sheet about being 'banned for life' (which is probably a 2 year ban given his age and health).

If I were him, I spend a few million finding dirt on the other owners and recording their private conversations.

Why hasn't his ho been arrested and charge with the crime yet? Nobody seems to give a hoot about the blatent privacy violation.....maybe since the gubment violates our privacy all the time now, we accept that as normal?

2014-05-02 8:47 AM
    in reply to: Rogillio

New user
    Just curious, when is the NBA going to fire Spike Lee (has NBA radio show and does commercials)? What he has said in public is far more racist than what Sterling has said in private. They are both human trash.
    2014-05-02 8:56 AM
    in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Originally posted by NXS

Just curious, when is the NBA going to fire Spike Lee (has NBA radio show and does commercials)? What he has said in public is far more racist than what Sterling has said in private. They are both human trash.

Human trash is a bit harsh I think. I think we all have opinions and perceptions and stereotypes and bisases about other people based on the sum-total of our life's experiences. No one knows how Spike Lee and Sterling came to view the world as they and they probably can't tell you either. They simply have feeling and opinions and they express them. That does not make them trash. Sterling donated $3M to UCLA for kidney research. Does that exhonerate hime? No. But I don't think we can encapsulate a person's life and call them human trash begause they have some 'racial' opinions.

2014-05-02 9:33 AM

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    I have long argued that prejudice never hurt anyone. Prejudice is a state of mind. The act of discrimination is what hurts people. Sterling was to be honored by the NAACP for a lifetime award. So presumably his ACTIONS warranted recognition even if his actions ran contrary to his opinions/beliefs. We all have thoughts and opinions and stereotypes that we know are unfair but we keep these to ourselves and are mindful that our actions don’t reflect these beliefs.
    2014-05-02 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by Rogillio
  • . . Why hasn't his ho been arrested and charge with the crime yet? Nobody seems to give a hoot about the blatent privacy violation.....maybe since the gubment violates our privacy all the time now, we accept that as normal?

• The recordings were consensual. He asked her to record all of their conversations because his memory is beginning to fail him.
    2014-05-02 9:42 AM
    in reply to: Its Only Money

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Originally posted by Its Only Money

• . . Why hasn't his ho been arrested and charge with the crime yet? Nobody seems to give a hoot about the blatent privacy violation.....maybe since the gubment violates our privacy all the time now, we accept that as normal?

• The recordings were consensual. He asked her to record all of their conversations because his memory is beginning to fail him.

Guess he forgot. Or someone lied and said the said that for CYA.

2014-05-02 9:50 AM

User image

Pro

Adults behaving poorly..  Money, that's all this is about.

2014-05-02 9:55 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Originally posted by Left Brain

Your post reflects bias and contempt of rich people.
    2014-05-02 10:59 AM

User image

Pro

Not rich people....greedy, despicable people.

2014-05-02 11:30 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
    Alabama

Not rich people....greedy, despicable people.

Yeah, see you can't caveat after the fact. You can't say 'Muslims are terrorists' and then come back and say, "not Musims, radical/extreme jihadists Muslims". :-)
    2014-05-02 1:10 PM

New user

Originally posted by NXS

Human trash is a bit harsh I think. I think we all have opinions and perceptions and stereotypes and bisases about other people based on the sum-total of our life's experiences. No one knows how Spike Lee and Sterling came to view the world as they and they probably can't tell you either. They simply have feeling and opinions and they express them. That does not make them trash. Sterling donated $3M to UCLA for kidney research. Does that exhonerate hime? No. But I don't think we can encapsulate a person's life and call them human trash begause they have some 'racial' opinions.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

2014-05-02 1:57 PM
    in reply to: Jtiger

User image

A good article on the legality of it all...    including some relevant tax implications

SI Article

2014-05-02 2:50 PM
    in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Originally posted by NXS

Originally posted by NXS

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I suppose.

UCLA Rejects $3M Gift From Donald Sterling For Kidney Research

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/04/29/ucla-rejects-3m-gift-from...

Sorry kidney research hopefuls, we won't accept $3million in charity from someone who is racist.....so suffer a while longer while we make a political point....at the cost of $3million worth of research funds. Sterling is a jerk and now he will have another $3M extra coin in his pocket? That'll teach him!

2014-05-02 3:47 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
    Spokane, WA

Originally posted by ChrisM

A good article on the legality of it all...    including some relevant tax implications

SI Article

Very interesting. If they try to force the sale, it seems to me like he has a case that's at least worth being heard. If nothing else it drags it out for years--perhaps until after his death.

Edited by zed707 2014-05-02 3:50 PM
    2014-05-03 8:14 PM
    in reply to: zed707

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
    Thunder Bay, ON
    True. Bad PR probably costs the NBA a lot of money, and it is in their best interest to get rid of him.

My problem may not be with the NBA per se, but how this seems very stigmatic. Kind of like saying the word "bomb" at an airport. It doesn't matter whether you said, "I don't have a bomb on me," this second you utter 'bomb' is the second you are apprehended.

Has anyone given him the benefit of the doubt? Maybe his background is from a very racist family. Perhaps the rich demographic he associates with are even more racist than middle class folk. Maybe he is justified in saying that his superiors and associates look down on black people.

I know this line of questioning is less probable than saying, "Sterling is a racist," but I am getting tired of this sacrificial lamb philosophy.

This reminds me of a time when Don Cherry, a hockey personality in Canada, said, "the only people who wear visors are the Europeans and the French." He got scolded for that, but it turns out the statistics greatly support his comment. Don't say the word "bomb," at the airport.

Sigh.
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Lifetime Ban Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Banned Substances

Started by AdventureBear
    Views: 1020 Posts: 12

2006-06-27 6:43 AM run4yrlif

Gay Marriage Ban: For or Against? Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by run4yrlif
    Views: 7112 Posts: 307

2006-06-17 12:45 PM dingorock

gay marriage ban Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by autumn
    Views: 6052 Posts: 190

2006-03-25 9:06 AM akabak

Banned substances found in Armstrong hotel room

Started by jkbostic
    Views: 1133 Posts: 13

2005-09-03 10:02 AM smokeater1833

Judged sports should be banned

Started by Wookiee
    Views: 1161 Posts: 8

2004-08-24 4:25 PM Motivated
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : January 23, 2007
    author : KenMierke
    comments : 5
    A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : May 30, 2005
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.