General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheel newbie questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-16 12:00 PM

Subject: Race wheel newbie questions
I just got a Flo 60 and disc and had a couple of questions. Do most people just have one cassette and swap it back and forth or have a separate one for each wheel? Is this something you do yourself or take in to the shop? Also it looks like I will need valve extenders for both wheels. Any recommendations there? Thanks!

2014-05-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: millscd63

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Race wheel newbie questions
Congratulations on the new wheels. Trading cassettes isn't hard but it does require some special tools. I change my cassette on my race wheels based on the gearing I'd need for that race. However, if you don't enjoy that sort of detail or work, just get another one and leave it on the bike.

My guess is that you will also need to learn how to swap our brake pads when switching to your race wheels.

2014-05-16 12:36 PM
in reply to: cbrave

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Originally posted by cbrave Congratulations on the new wheels. Trading cassettes isn't hard but it does require some special tools. I change my cassette on my race wheels based on the gearing I'd need for that race. However, if you don't enjoy that sort of detail or work, just get another one and leave it on the bike. My guess is that you will also need to learn how to swap our brake pads when switching to your race wheels.
x2, for the most part. We don't have big enough hills in the midwest to warrant swapping cassettes, so I just leave one on the race set (also have a trainer tire set up with an extra cassette in the basement for the inevitable bad weather). I have Flo 60s front and rear for racing, with a wheelbuilder cover for the rear. These do NOT need different brake pads, as the brake track is aluminum, just like your stock rims. Only note is that the paint on the rims will likely strip off with the first wet or damp ride , but it doesn't seriously degrade the look, and has no effect on the braking.

With 60s you can buy tubes with valves up to 80 mm I believe, which is enough for these rims. they are a little more expensive. Some people use valve extenders, and there are threads (and even articles) here and elsewhere (ST) that describe how to use these and which valve stems you need. I honestly don't recall all of the details off hand. 

Enjoy the rims. I love them!!

2014-05-16 12:46 PM

User image

Get a cassette for each rear wheel.

Get the removable stem valves and use those with proper extensions.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10053&langId=-1...

For a spare, get a normal (60mm, 38mm or whatever) tube and get an 85mm extension, like the topeak
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Presta-Valve-Extension/dp/B001M82ZHA

I used the topeak and really like them, but they have a definite life span and they'll start cracking after a bit. Great for a spare, though.

2014-05-16 1:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Swapping cassettes is really easy.  Takes less than 5 minutes given the proper tools.  No skills required.

As far as extenders, if you have a FLO 60 and disc, my guess is that you can use a standard valve length tube on the disc and a small extender on the FLO60.  I like to use tubes that don't require removeable cores in this setup because I can use the same spare tube on either wheel simply by adding or removing the extender.  You do NOT want to be fiddling with removeable cores on the side of the road.

I used to run a covered training wheel with a Zipp 404 front, which as far as tube valves, is the same setup you have.  I would run latex tubes on both wheels, and the front wheel required a 32 mm extender to get it from 51 mm to 83 mm (use a little plumbers tape over the threading before attaching the extender to help the seal).  I would recommend at least 80 mm of valve stem length for your FLO 60.  The 51 mm valve on the latex tube was fine as is when running the training wheel with disc cover.

For my spare, I would carry a standard 48-60 mm butyl tube (you don't want to use latex as your spare), with a 32 mm extender already attached (with plumbers tape).  If my front flatted, the spare is good to go as the extender is already on.  If the rear flats, I simply need to unscrew the extender which is pretty easy, even with sweaty fingers.  I can carry two spare tubes like this for longer races.

The thing I wanted to avoid was having to carry specific tubes for the front or the rear.  If I carried 80 mm spare tubes, then it would be too long for the disc hole...unless I cut it open.  FLO discs don't have that luxury I believe.  I could carry one of each (one 48-60 mm, and one 80 mm), but what if my rear or front flats twice?  SOL.

ETA:  If using a screw on extender, you always leave the original valve core in the open position, then screw the extender on over it.  Don't worry about air leaking...it won't.

Edited by Jason N 2014-05-16 1:33 PM
2014-05-16 1:43 PM

User image

Huntsville, AL
I was in same scenario as you.....Just purchased and instralled Flo90 rear and Flo60 front. I went ahead and purchased an additional cassette and had bike shop put it on, along with new tires/tubes/extenders. Yes you can do it easy enough yourself, but you'll need to purchase the right tools. and the time/effort to save $90 on a new cassette just didn't seem time constructive if you are going to exchange wheels more than once or twice a year IMO. I have two complete sets now...one for racing, and one for offseason riding or days when rain/high wind is probable..Easy on, easy off. Your current brake pads should be fine, but you may have to slightly adjust to line up on the brake track precisely. Enjoy the Flos....I am!

2014-05-16 1:45 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Sensei
Sin City

It's easy, but still a PITA.  Mine also require some spacers that I need to keep track of from bike to bike.  Also, as simple as it is, it only takes one time of cross threading to screw up a hub.  I take the stance that even though it's easy, I would not recommended doing it that often.  For 60-100 bucks, you can get one to leave on there.  I would rather do that than risk the ONE TIME I'm careless and over torque or cross thread.

Honestly, I have a race cassette that I just leave on the race wheels.  In most cases, the race course allows for a shorter gear range and smaller gears so I have one just for that.  All my training wheels have bigger gears since I train in hillier conditions and for training, I don't care if I'm one gear less on the small side.

2014-05-16 1:55 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

It's easy, but still a PITA.  ...

same here.  cassettes aren't that expensive.  I put a cassette on both wheels. Last thing I want to be worried about the night before a race is swapping cassettes.  It already takes me forever to organize all my crap.  

2014-05-16 3:46 PM

User image

Oh, one thing to make sure about.

If you use multiple cassettes, make damned sure you change your chain before it needs it.

Get one of these:
http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3927-park-tool-chain-checkers.as...

When your chain is at .75, order a new one.
Next time your need to clean your chain, just break it and change it out.

If you let your chain wear with the one cassette, it'll chatter and skip when you switch wheels if you let it go too long.

2014-05-16 4:14 PM
in reply to: DanielG

Shrug, I vote to swap it. That gives you a built in excuse to take it apart and clean it every once in awhile.

2014-05-16 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4997179

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. I think that should get me started. Can't wait to try them out!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheel newbie questions Rss Feed