If this CF thread dies at 2 pages either:

1. Crossfiters are not as enthusiastic as they used to be

2. LB is loosing his touch

2014-05-26 2:53 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Crossfit

Originally posted by pschriver If this CF thread dies at 2 pages either: 1. Crossfiters are not as enthusiastic as they used to be 2. LB is loosing his touch

I'm on it. 

2014-05-28 7:03 AM
in reply to: BradyFinney

User image

New user
Hamden, CT
I did crossfit for 1.5 years. The first year, crossfit improved my 5 miler run time by a significant amount. I will attribute that to the VO2 max workouts. Thanks crossfit.
And then I got more into triathlons and endurance distances. I started doing half ironmans. I quit crossfit and trained exclusively the way a triathlete should...by swimming, biking, and running all week long with very light strength training. My run times dropped even more than with cf. I became a stronger biker, and I overall felt much better. I built the right kind of muscle, I didn't bulk up. I wasn't exhausted on a daily basis and I wasn't struggling to try to fit in a swim, bike, or run workout in addition to a WOD.

Conclusion: If you want to be a faster 5K runner, you can probably swing that by adding CF into the rotation. If you want to be a successful endurance athlete, a 70.3'er, a 140.6'er, or any other type of triathlete, then train by swimming, biking, and running. not cf'ing.
2014-05-28 8:15 AM
in reply to: BradyFinney

User image

Hereford, England
I've not been following this post, or know much about crossfit. But I've just read this link. And if it's true what he is saying, very hard and technical exercising shouldn't be done to maximum. Throughout all my international athletic career, exercises, like what I've read in crossfit, have never, no once, been told to do to maximium.

Here is the link - http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/why-i-dont-do-crossfit/

Like I said, don't know much about crossfit, I just happened to read this earlier.
2014-05-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by bcagle25
Originally posted by BradyFinney I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?
If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here. If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.

I'll make a blanket statement that I believe to be true: the average triathlete does not have the volume in their week where adding a strength workout wouldn't be a substitution of a sport specific workout.

No rebuttal to this?

2014-05-28 9:53 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BradyFinney I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?
If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here. If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.

I'll make a blanket statement that I believe to be true: the average triathlete does not have the volume in their week where adding a strength workout wouldn't be a substitution of a sport specific workout.

No rebuttal to this?

You are obviously trolling.

2014-05-28 2:05 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Originally posted by Eucid

I've not been following this post, or know much about crossfit. But I've just read this link. And if it's true what he is saying, very hard and technical exercising shouldn't be done to maximum. Throughout all my international athletic career, exercises, like what I've read in crossfit, have never, no once, been told to do to maximium.

Here is the link - http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/why-i-dont-do-crossfit/

Like I said, don't know much about crossfit, I just happened to read this earlier.

What he's saying is at best half-true.

Read this: https://medium.com/p/45e6c8057640

I know some people who really enjoy CrossFit and have become quite empowered by it. They approach it with the same passion that some of us approach endurance sports/triathlon. To each his own.

I don't know if there's a lot of evidence out there, but my gut feeling would be that it's hard to be the best triathlete by doing triathlon training plus CrossFit-- you just can't do both at the same time at a high enough level. But it might be something worthwhile to check out in a non-triathlon year (if you have any ).
2014-05-28 2:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

No rebuttal to this?

Not sure where you are going with that one

Edited by bcagle25 2014-05-28 2:46 PM
2014-05-28 4:20 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

No rebuttal to this?

The average triathlete does not have the volume in their week where adding a strength workout wouldn't be a substitution of a sport specific workout.

In the case of the average triathlete, crossfit would be a substitution for a sport specific workout.  Not sure how much clearer I can make it.

2014-05-28 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

No rebuttal to this?

The average triathlete does not have the volume in their week where adding a strength workout wouldn't be a substitution of a sport specific workout.

In the case of the average triathlete, crossfit would be a substitution for a sport specific workout.  Not sure how much clearer I can make it.

I"m sorry I meant to have a wink face not a smiley face, I knew exactly what you meant just choose not to counteract, discussion will lead nowhere but more arguing.

2014-05-28 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

No rebuttal to this?

I"m sorry I meant to have a wink face not a smiley face, I knew exactly what you meant just choose not to counteract, discussion will lead nowhere but more arguing.

no it won't

2014-05-28 4:49 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm not really a CF fan but what seems to never get asked in these threads is "what's your end goal?". If it's weight loss, overall health, having fun, etc then why not strength train even if at *gasp* the cost of a tri specific workout. Now if you just want to crush souls on the race course then you're probably (possibly) better served spending all your available time swimming, biking, running and resting and being ok with looking like a twig. 

Where I end up a bit torn is the case of the athlete that really is left with extra time at the end of the day, after maxing out their sport specific work. Is it then worth it for that person assuming it's not at the cost of something like sleep? Or as Ben put it, supplementing instead of replacing.

Let's move out of the CF realm since it will hopefully remove some bias and just use general weight training—hell, it could be yoga/pilates/barre whatever. Athlete rides 10 hours a week, swims 5-6 days a week and runs 40 miles per week, lots of quality in there and limited junk miles. At the end of the day athlete, who has no family at home, limited responsibilities, maybe they're even socially distant for some reason, still has a couple hours to kill and would rather be active than not. Does adding some other cross training help? Or more importantly, does it hurt? What would you tell Salazar about putting Rupp through strength training?

2014-05-28 5:09 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by thebigb

I'm not really a CF fan but what seems to never get asked in these threads is "what's your end goal?". If it's weight loss, overall health, having fun, etc then why not strength train even if at *gasp* the cost of a tri specific workout. Now if you just want to crush souls on the race course then you're probably (possibly) better served spending all your available time swimming, biking, running and resting and being ok with looking like a twig. 

Where I end up a bit torn is the case of the athlete that really is left with extra time at the end of the day, after maxing out their sport specific work. Is it then worth it for that person assuming it's not at the cost of something like sleep? Or as Ben put it, supplementing instead of replacing.

Let's move out of the CF realm since it will hopefully remove some bias and just use general weight training—hell, it could be yoga/pilates/barre whatever. Athlete rides 10 hours a week, swims 5-6 days a week and runs 40 miles per week, lots of quality in there and limited junk miles. At the end of the day athlete, who has no family at home, limited responsibilities, maybe they're even socially distant for some reason, still has a couple hours to kill and would rather be active than not. Does adding some other cross training help? Or more importantly, does it hurt? What would you tell Salazar about putting Rupp through strength training?

Such an athlete is going to be rather worn down from all the activity. Any additional work should refer back to the supplement or complimenting part. Just throwing in any old whatever workouts of CF or weight training can interfere with the athlete's recovery and energy level for the sbr sessions, so any additional work should be rather targeted at complimenting sbr. Not just being non-sbr workouts for the sake of adding more working out. The cost/benefit goes down when doing these other non-sbr activities, so you really want to make sure they'll develop something helpful. A question asking about CF or weight training is really not a good question as it's so ridiculously vague. The amount of exercises in them is enormous and many will do nothing to help, possibly interring as explained above. You want to get much more specific as to what the exercises should be developing instead of just throwing in some program or concept that is so vague or diverse.

2014-05-28 7:36 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
My goal is to get faster at the Olympic distance. I took some time away from s/b/r for a little run and crossfit block. Why? Mentally, the idea of cranking out more miles on the trainer was not appealing, and neither was 0530 swim practice. I needed a break. I'm staying in shape, learning a lot about lifting (my crossfit gym has excellent instructors and a focus on doing things correctly) and I've been having fun. Depending on your goals and progression, it can be great.
2014-05-28 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Such an athlete is going to be rather worn down from all the activity. Any additional work should refer back to the supplement or complimenting part. Just throwing in any old whatever workouts of CF or weight training can interfere with the athlete's recovery and energy level for the sbr sessions, so any additional work should be rather targeted at complimenting sbr. Not just being non-sbr workouts for the sake of adding more working out. The cost/benefit goes down when doing these other non-sbr activities, so you really want to make sure they'll develop something helpful. A question asking about CF or weight training is really not a good question as it's so ridiculously vague. The amount of exercises in them is enormous and many will do nothing to help, possibly interring as explained above. You want to get much more specific as to what the exercises should be developing instead of just throwing in some program or concept that is so vague or diverse.

At a gym where I work, they took (this was before I work there) a triathlete, dropped his training volume, added in strength work...less then a year later he was racing in Kona after several tries. Not saying that the strength training was the sole reason, but it played a part in it.

Also strength training can be an excellent form of recovery and compliment SBR sessions. People think you need to do a million exercises for an effective session, that is false, 4-5 movements can have a significant impact on the net overall goal, usually its not just any program thrown at the athlete either, at least if it isn't GOAL ORIENTED.

On another note and not to anyone in particular but everyone is on the sport-specific focus with training. If you do that route, be mindful that doing a repetitive motion over and over and over and over again, and only doing this very sport specific movements will lead to some great imbalances. You need to counteract those movements as well to develop the most efficiency you can. Doing a bunch of closed hip exercises will only tighten your hip flexors (triathletes are notorious for this) and impinge your performance overall.
2014-05-28 8:15 PM

User image

Pro

At a gym where I work, they took (this was before I work there) a triathlete, dropped his training volume, added in strength work...less then a year later he was racing in Kona after several tries. Not saying that the strength training was the sole reason, but it played a part in it. 

Undoubtedly PED's involved.

2014-05-28 9:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Left Brain

Undoubtedly PED's involved.

I supplied him with all the good stuff, friend works in a blood lab ....sssshhhh
2014-05-29 8:22 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25  At a gym where I work, they took (this was before I work there) a triathlete, dropped his training volume, added in strength work...less then a year later he was racing in Kona after several tries. Not saying that the strength training was the sole reason, but it played a part in it.

I'm not really sure of the necessity of a statement like this here. Kind of adds to the vagueness I mentioned before and really seems like a marketing statement. I know enough now to keep making improvements on less volume than I used to do without any strength training at all. A good coach should know more able be able to make even more advancements. On here I think it would be more informational to look at what was done before to see how well needs were met or not met and how the newer program addressed things better. How was the new program better as opposed to the black/white of was strength training included.

Also strength training can be an excellent form of recovery and compliment SBR sessions. People think you need to do a million exercises for an effective session, that is false, 4-5 movements can have a significant impact on the net overall goal, usually its not just any program thrown at the athlete either, at least if it isn't GOAL ORIENTED.

Yes, there are exercises that  "can be" good for recovery just as there are many which can interfere. It's not an all or nothing either way given how vague or broad the concepts being discussed are, which I thought I had said before, perhaps not clearly enough? I understand the "million" is hyperbole (or exaggeration), but i don't know if that many believe it takes loads of exercises to do. Probably depends on who we've asked though as some do think that. Sampling could be all over the map. Anyway, more important is the "goal oriented" part. That is absolutely true, but from what I've seen think the difficulty comes in understanding what the goals should be. Not necessarily *too* different from understanding principles of s/b/r training when you think about it. Everyone wants to get faster or go farther, but can have trouble identifying what to do to achieve this.

On another note and not to anyone in particular but everyone is on the sport-specific focus with training. If you do that route, be mindful that doing a repetitive motion over and over and over and over again, and only doing this very sport specific movements will lead to some great imbalances. You need to counteract those movements as well to develop the most efficiency you can. Doing a bunch of closed hip exercises will only tighten your hip flexors (triathletes are notorious for this) and impinge your performance overall.

This other note could be quite helpful and goes right along with what I've been saying (or trying to) as it starts to do something besides talk in such vague notions since it identifies something we're likely to see. Would the "bunch of closed hip exercises" near the end includes sbr? Suggestions on improving this? I know it'd be ridiculous to try listing out everything to work on, but from such an example it's very possible to help start learning about identifying areas of concern and what to do about them.

2014-05-29 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

This other note could be quite helpful and goes right along with what I've been saying (or trying to) as it starts to do something besides talk in such vague notions since it identifies something we're likely to see. Would the "bunch of closed hip exercises" near the end includes sbr? Suggestions on improving this? I know it'd be ridiculous to try listing out everything to work on, but from such an example it's very possible to help start learning about identifying areas of concern and what to do about them.

I'm pretty sure your hips are open when you swim..

2014-05-29 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

So why crossfit. That's my question. I could *maybe* see weights for an ageing triathlete to prevent muscle loss in the offseason or something. However, doing reps to exhaustion in the middle of your tri season is costly and WILL take away from your other, much more important, training.

If it is for hip opening...do some yoga.

2014-05-29 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Correct, unfortunately the average triathlete doesn't swim much and abandons it mostly during the winter, again just speaking about the averages.

2014-05-29 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Correct, unfortunately the average triathlete doesn't swim much and abandons it mostly during the winter, again just speaking about the averages.

Well that goes back to my "the average triathlete doesn't have enough volume for crossfit" argument

AND it supplements LB's "triathletes need to swim a lot more" argument.

2014-05-29 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Originally posted by bcagle25  At a gym where I work, they took (this was before I work there) a triathlete, dropped his training volume, added in strength work...less then a year later he was racing in Kona after several tries. Not saying that the strength training was the sole reason, but it played a part in it.

I'm not really sure of the necessity of a statement like this here. Kind of adds to the vagueness I mentioned before and really seems like a marketing statement. I know enough now to keep making improvements on less volume than I used to do without any strength training at all. A good coach should know more able be able to make even more advancements. On here I think it would be more informational to look at what was done before to see how well needs were met or not met and how the newer program addressed things better. How was the new program better as opposed to the black/white of was strength training included.

Yes, there are exercises that  "can be" good for recovery just as there are many which can interfere. It's not an all or nothing either way given how vague or broad the concepts being discussed are, which I thought I had said before, perhaps not clearly enough? I understand the "million" is hyperbole (or exaggeration), but i don't know if that many believe it takes loads of exercises to do. Probably depends on who we've asked though as some do think that. Sampling could be all over the map. Anyway, more important is the "goal oriented" part. That is absolutely true, but from what I've seen think the difficulty comes in understanding what the goals should be. Not necessarily *too* different from understanding principles of s/b/r training when you think about it. Everyone wants to get faster or go farther, but can have trouble identifying what to do to achieve this.

It can be 100% attributed but think of it like doing a cleanse. You ride your body of all the "toxins" then you start to bring in foods again slowly to find what is causing harm to your body (BTW people often misunderstand the goal of body cleansing) so you can eliminate that and introduce helpful foods. In this case it was similar, revamp the training and slowly add in modalities that help improve training and take away the ones that didn't. In this case the high volume was developing too much fatigue, and their body was needing some strength. Did the combination found directly contribute to it, not possible to tell, but it sure seems that way.

Never said it was an all or nothing, and it does not take loads of exercises. Class I had yesterday of 10 (7 triathletes) that main work was a rep 4x of 4 exercises, lots of mobility/core/foam roll to warmup as well. But yes it depends on the goals, not all triathletes need it, some more then others, etc.

Do open hip exercises, here are a FEW since you asked
Turkish Get-Ups, only need to do half
Bulgarian split squats - unilateral, hip opening, hamstring strengthening,
Deadlifts - hip opening, improves SSC
Some plyos - improves SSC, maintains elasticity in legs
2014-05-29 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Well that goes back to my "the average triathlete doesn't have enough volume for crossfit" argument

AND it supplements LB's "triathletes need to swim a lot more" argument.

Yup, right on and you can still get in strength work, its all about where diminishing returns are found.

How can an athlete up his volume from 10-12k to 25-30k and add in strength work. Yup it can be do and the example falls under the average triathlete
2014-05-29 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I'll take the credit for taking a typical CF thread off its usual doomed path and rerouting it to intelligent, educated conversation. *pats back*

Pink font

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit Rss Feed  

of 4