Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-05-22 2:46 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Crossfit

Originally posted by msteiner

Should I post a road bike or tri bike thread to complete the trifecta?

Wait until tomorrow......we'll need help on a Friday.

2014-05-22 3:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Should I post a road bike or tri bike thread to complete the trifecta?

One of those actually popped up earlier in another forum here. Tri tubulars vs clinchers instead.

2014-05-22 3:07 PM
in reply to: BradyFinney

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
Two things turned me off Crossfit when I tried it a year ago.

1. The fact that the people at the box had seemingly zero concern for proper form, even when lifting the heavy weights. It was all about the number of reps as fast as possible. I could see this as an endeavor that would be highly injury prone and confirmed this a few months later when talking to a chiropractor friend who said she sees an average of 2-3 crossfit related injuries a week.

2. The cult-like attitude put me off. "If you are in crossfit, you need to be IN crossfit. There is no half assing crossfit. There are no runners/cyclists/triathletes who dabble in crossfit. There are crossfitters who dabble in other things."

Of course, your mileage may vary depending on the box you go to.
2014-05-22 4:21 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Meathead

Two things turned me off Crossfit when I tried it a year ago.

1. The fact that the people at the box had seemingly zero concern for proper form, even when lifting the heavy weights. It was all about the number of reps as fast as possible. I could see this as an endeavor that would be highly injury prone and confirmed this a few months later when talking to a chiropractor friend who said she sees an average of 2-3 crossfit related injuries a week.

2. The cult-like attitude put me off. "If you are in crossfit, you need to be IN crossfit. There is no half assing crossfit. There are no runners/cyclists/triathletes who dabble in crossfit. There are crossfitters who dabble in other things."

Of course, your mileage may vary depending on the box you go to.

I have been to several "boxes" as they call it as I travel around the U.S. My background is in strength and conditioning and I work as a strength coach so CF always has my interest and I like to see what is offered in certain areas. Yup, all the stereotypes are true of CF, but the opposite exist as well with some very qualified and reputable coaches that own "boxes". Remember CrossFit is a brand it is nothing new or invented, I actually worked with a strength coach that pointed out a CF WOD one day was the exact same as a training session for the 1984 British Olympic team.
2014-05-22 4:27 PM
in reply to: Meathead

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Meathead Two things turned me off Crossfit when I tried it a year ago. 1. The fact that the people at the box had seemingly zero concern for proper form, even when lifting the heavy weights. It was all about the number of reps as fast as possible. I could see this as an endeavor that would be highly injury prone and confirmed this a few months later when talking to a chiropractor friend who said she sees an average of 2-3 crossfit related injuries a week. 2. The cult-like attitude put me off. "If you are in crossfit, you need to be IN crossfit. There is no half assing crossfit. There are no runners/cyclists/triathletes who dabble in crossfit. There are crossfitters who dabble in other things." Of course, your mileage may vary depending on the box you go to.

Really depends on the box.

If someone were to stumble into ST they would find a bunch of elitist pr!ck triathletes. Of course we are not all that way.

My brother in law works full time for a CF gym and it is a very welcoming place and they spend a lot of time on form and doing things the right way before adding weight. I may get into someday when the tri thing wears off. For now it is a bit too spendy and I enjoy cycling the most so I will stick with tri for now. 

2014-05-22 6:05 PM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by Jtiger

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by badmo77a

Originally posted by badmo77at the plyo elements can surely only help your run and bike strength.

How does it help running?

[sarcasm] Hard to explain but I think it has something to do with leg strength being good for running. [/sarcasm]

{no sarcasm}

So instead of hill repeats or speed intervals for run/leg strength time would be better served doing crossfit?

{no sarcasm}

Because bodybuilders and powerlifters are such good runners

\sarcasm

Not sure if this guy is real or not but http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/04/12/5-questions-alex-via...

2014-05-22 6:23 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BigDH

Originally posted by badmo77at the plyo elements can surely only help your run and bike strength.

[sarcasm] Hard to explain but I think it has something to do with leg strength being good for running. [/sarcasm]

{no sarcasm}

So instead of hill repeats or speed intervals for run/leg strength time would be better served doing crossfit?

{no sarcasm}

Because bodybuilders and powerlifters are such good runners \sarcasm
Not sure if this guy is real or not but http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/04/12/5-questions-alex-via...

A 4:15 mile at 220 with a 700 lb. deadlift?  I'd have to see it.  I know there are freaks......but that's pushing it.

2014-05-22 7:40 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master

{no sarcasm}

{no sarcasm}

A 4:15 mile at 220 with a 700 lb. deadlift?  I'd have to see it.  I know there are freaks......but that's pushing it.

Chuck Norris has finally met his match.
2014-05-23 7:41 AM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Extreme Veteran
I did Crossfit during the Winter and enjoyed it.
2014-05-23 7:56 AM

I think that a lot people assume that people who post here only have one desire and that is to get faster times at triathlon. This being beginner triathlete I think there are a lot of people that participante in the 3 sports to get or to stay in shape. So will cross fit add as much value to you finishing times? No. But is it another way to stay physically fit? Yes.

Personally I do not participate in cross fit. But I have been known to inline skate, ice skate, kayak, hike and and use a climbing wall. If I wanted to get faster at Tris my time would have been better spent focusing on running, biking or swimming.
2014-05-23 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

One of my best friends owns a Cross Fit gym.  I have been there several times observing.  It's very intense and this group is very into it.  However, I think they push themselves past the point of effective strength training and into an area that is very dangerous.  The struggle to get 1 or 2 more reps in regardless of proper form scares me.

Also, I looked on YouTube for "CrossFit Fails" and I won't be one of those guys.

to each their own.

2014-05-23 8:42 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Sidney Porter I think that a lot people assume that people who post here only have one desire and that is to get faster times at triathlon. This being beginner triathlete I think there are a lot of people that participante in the 3 sports to get or to stay in shape. So will cross fit add as much value to you finishing times? No. But is it another way to stay physically fit? Yes. Personally I do not participate in cross fit. But I have been known to inline skate, ice skate, kayak, hike and and use a climbing wall. If I wanted to get faster at Tris my time would have been better spent focusing on running, biking or swimming.

I think that's right, but there are also a lot of people who do want to get faster at triathlon, and the experiences of those who have been around the sport for awhile are part of the reason they are here.  There is room for everybody.

2014-05-23 10:17 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

{no sarcasm}

{no sarcasm}

Yeah I'm not buying that.  

2014-05-23 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

{no sarcasm}

{no sarcasm}

Yeah I'm not buying that.  

Alex Viada is fairly well known across the fitness world.  My impression is that he is quite the genetic outlier.  That said, I'd question how close together in time his 4:15 mile and 700 lb deadlifts were.  If you told me he did them a year+ apart, sure, I'm buying it.  If you said they were within days of each other, I'm a bit dubious.

2014-05-24 8:43 PM

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Here it goes:
I am a triathlete that also does crossfit. Here's why it has worked for me:
1. Since starting crossfit, I've been injury free for 2 years. I learned how to move better and thus built muscles that better support my knees, back, shoulders etc.
2. My coach is amazing - guiding me in both endurance sport and crossfit. She won't let you in the crossfit gym without extensive fundamental training to make sure you are going to do it right without getting hurt.
3. When I cannot bear to get on my trainer in the winter or can't make it to the pool or don't feel like running in -40 (celcius) outside - I know I can still get a workout in that is quick, fast, varied and gonna make me sweat with no fear of burnout.
4. My power output is phenomenal compared to what it use to be - I think crossfit has something to do with that.
5. Overhead lifting technique has helped me with my swim pull. Similar mechanics.

I don't train crossfit... but it is my crosstraining. We use a lot of it in the winter and intermittently in the summer.

Em
Ps - just backsquatted my body weight + 5lbs this week... AND PR'd my times in the first sprint tri of the season. Too cool.

2014-05-24 10:16 PM
in reply to: embot

User image

Pro

Originally posted by embot Here it goes: I am a triathlete that also does crossfit. Here's why it has worked for me: 1. Since starting crossfit, I've been injury free for 2 years. I learned how to move better and thus built muscles that better support my knees, back, shoulders etc. 2. My coach is amazing - guiding me in both endurance sport and crossfit. She won't let you in the crossfit gym without extensive fundamental training to make sure you are going to do it right without getting hurt. 3. When I cannot bear to get on my trainer in the winter or can't make it to the pool or don't feel like running in -40 (celcius) outside - I know I can still get a workout in that is quick, fast, varied and gonna make me sweat with no fear of burnout. 4. My power output is phenomenal compared to what it use to be - I think crossfit has something to do with that. 5. Overhead lifting technique has helped me with my swim pull. Similar mechanics. I don't train crossfit... but it is my crosstraining. We use a lot of it in the winter and intermittently in the summer. Em Ps - just backsquatted my body weight + 5lbs this week... AND PR'd my times in the first sprint tri of the season. Too cool.

LIAR!!!!!!!!! 

2014-05-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Originally posted by bcagle25

Originally posted by BradyFinney

I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?

If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here.

If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.

And if yoy are going to ask about suicide, dont ask anyone who hasnt blown their brains out yet.

Two things, for sure, about CF:

1) its a great way to get injured
2) CFers get their panties in a bunch when you criticize CF.
2014-05-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: SeeVee

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by SeeVee
Originally posted by BradyFinney I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?
If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here. If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.
And if yoy are going to ask about suicide, dont ask anyone who hasnt blown their brains out yet. Two things, for sure, about CF: 1) its a can be a great way to get injured 2) Some CFers get their panties in a bunch when you criticize CF.

Fixed that for you.  

I agree with many of Ben's comments above.  Especially the ones I've bolded.

Despite the CF studio right down the street from my personal training studio being one of the better ones for having knowledgeable trainers, I still have clients come to me from them after getting injured.  I have one right now who spent a few days in the hospital with rhabdomyolysis apparently caused by her participation in CF.

I would take it a step farther than Ben's comment about being careful and mindful in checking out CF gyms.  I'd go as far as saying even after checking them out carefully, if you do decide to participate in any Extreme Conditioning Program (ECP), such as CF, check your ego at the door, and ease your way into the program, even if you think you're already very fit.  BTW, there is a difference between ECP's like Crossfit and other High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) programs.

Here's another reference regarding ECP's that may be helpful to read before starting such a program:  http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/ExtremeConditioning.html

2014-05-25 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?

If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here.

If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.

And if yoy are going to ask about suicide, dont ask anyone who hasnt blown their brains out yet.

Using your ignorance on CF, I will use my ignorance as a devils advocate in triathlon:

1. It's a great way to be hit by a car and die
2. Triathletes get their panties in a bunch when you criticize their Ironman finish time.

Can you get injured in a CF box? Of course, just like you can anywhere else, just like the handful of triathletes I know that are injured in May right now and can't race or train . But remember CF is a BRAND and so other forms exist under the same umbrella of training.

As I said in an earlier post I have been to several "boxes" but I am NOT a member of any CF gym. I DO work as a strength coach and I DO have a formal educational background and years of experience in strength centers, working with athletes of all abilities and levels. I DO NOT know everything and never will because I like to continual evolve my education and use my experiences to guide my thoughts of what I believe to be good and bad.

Care for me to talk about all the "gluten-free" triathletes that don't even know what gluten is?

Edited by bcagle25 2014-05-25 2:41 PM
2014-05-25 2:41 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BradyFinney I'm trying cross fit in addition to my triathlon training. Any thought, suggestions, and/or warnings?
If you are going to ask about CrossFit do not listen to anyone that has never done CrossFit, many misconceptions and myths out there that I am seeing repeated in this thread, lots of blanket statements being thrown around here. If anything, you should go along the line of using CrossFit or any strength work as an ENHANCEMENT to your training, not a SUBSTITUTION. Also be very careful and mindful in checking out a CrossFit gym, some are good, some are bad, its the same concept as finding a coaching. Drill them with question, learn their thoughts, background, how will they get YOU to become more DEVELOPED.
And if yoy are going to ask about suicide, dont ask anyone who hasnt blown their brains out yet. Two things, for sure, about CF: 1) its a great way to get injured 2) CFers get their panties in a bunch when you criticize CF.
Care for me to talk about all the "gluten-free" triathletes that don't even know what gluten is?

Oh......hell yeah!!! 

2014-05-25 4:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-05-25 6:40 PM

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bcagle25  ...Care for me to talk about all the "gluten-free" triathletes that don't even know what gluten is?

Pure awesomeness!!  

Can we also talk about the pundits extolling the virtues of only ingesting things that are "all natural" and how anything man made is pure evil?  You know, the ones who don't seem to understand that arsenic and poison ivy are natural and antibiotics are man made.  

2014-05-25 6:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro

I've had the smoker going since 9 this morning.  I don't know much about crossfit, but I've been sitting on my gluten, next to the pool, drinking beer all day. 

I'm not worried about injury, but my underwear could bunch up before this is over. 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-05-25 7:00 PM
2014-05-25 9:45 PM

Using your ignorance on CF, I will use my ignorance as a devils advocate in triathlon:

2. Triathletes get their panties in a bunch when you criticize their Ironman finish time.

Can you get injured in a CF box? Of course, just like you can anywhere else, just like the handful of triathletes I know that are injured in May right now and can't race or train . But remember CF is a BRAND and so other forms exist under the same umbrella of training.

As I said in an earlier post I have been to several "boxes" but I am NOT a member of any CF gym. I DO work as a strength coach and I DO have a formal educational background and years of experience in strength centers, working with athletes of all abilities and levels. I DO NOT know everything and never will because I like to continual evolve my education and use my experiences to guide my thoughts of what I believe to be good and bad.

Your panties are bunching.
2014-05-26 7:05 AM
in reply to: SeeVee

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

Your panties are bunching.

Don't wear underwear
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit Rss Feed  

of 4