General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Multisportscanada
18.3C / 65F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 38s
Overall Rank = 51/140
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 12/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 a.m. Made a pot of coffee (1 cup for me, rest for my parents who were visiting from Ontario). 2nd day in a row we were up at 5 a.m. (previous day was my sons first triathlon - he's 6 years old).

Had large glass of orange juice, bagel and a half with peanut butter.

Left for Lake Chaparral at 6:15 a.m. as we live at the totally opposite end of Calgary from it. Got there about 7:00 a.m. Chose my transition spot and laid out my gear.

Watched womens start and then went for one last potty break. Wanted to be sure I had peed some more as in my previous tri I had to stop for a pee during the run. Would have liked to have sat there a bit longer but the queue outside the door added some stress to complete my business and get out of there.

Synched up Garmin with satelites, got into my wetsuit and headed back down to the beach. Saw a few of the women exiting from their swim and then 15 minutes before the start headed for the water. Good to see BradK - he's off to Penticton for Ironman Canada in 2 weeks - he was watching the swim start before heading off to McKenzie Lake for a swim. He asked if I had any goal for this tri - I didn't. A few weeks back I had not intended to do any other tris this season but then came across this one and signed up my son for the Kids of Steel event and thought if he is doing it I might as well tri another one as well.
Event warmup:

Some stretching of my hamstrings (which had got tight during my bike ride in my last tri). Got in the water and did a few strokes to warm up and get used to the water temp.
Swim
  • 29m 38s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Race organizer must have had some problems with the timing as all they reported on was run and total race time. Times I am reporting are taken off my watch (thankfully I thought to keep track of my splits).

This was a larger mass start than my previous tri. Much more water churning and body bumping. Mentally I felt this swim to take longer than Arbour Lake - maybe because it was 2 longer laps instead of 3 shorter ones. With all of the churn I found it harder to sight the markers.

I was surprized to see my swim split was close to what I swim in the pool. Like I said - mentally it seemed longer.
What would you do differently?:

I think with doing more of these tri's I'll gain more confidence in my swimming ability in the pack.

Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Not a very good transition time. I took time to dry off my head, face and body somewhat. Then towel was slightly damp for drying off my feet so with slightly wet feet the socks didn't go on quite as fast as normally. Mentally the transition wasn't clicking with me this time.

Think about the upcoming transition during the last part of my swim. Practice transitions at home (as foolish as I will look).
Bike
  • 1h 06m 52s
  • 36 kms
  • 32.30 km/hr
Comments:

Wish I had break down of splits so that I could compare my times to the others in my age group.

I feel I had a good bike leg this time around. This is the event I can still improve on the most. Some people with much more expensive bikes wizzed by me but I was okay with that - I'm still new to this sport.

I almost caught up to Carrie (ch2626) as I knew prerace that she was bib # 8 but given the choice of pushing hard to catch up to her just to say hi and keeping to my own pace I opted to keep to my pace. Good thing - she took off with a burst of speed in what I think was her last lap.

Bike more and more. I saw some improvement to my bike leg this tri compared to Arbour Lake (but it's hard to compare a hilly course to a flat one). There's still room for improvement.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No shoes to change as I ride in my running shoes (will be buying clipless before next year).
Run
  • 43h 30m
  • 9 kms
  • 4h 50m  min/km
Comments:

Running form felt off at start of run (like it usually does during a brick workout). Had stitch in my right shoulder blade but ran through it. First km split was 4:21 (fast). Had thoughts of slowing down but kept reminding myself that it'd feel better to push through this fatigue and get it over with faster.

Had one very short wave of nausea (think the Powerbar "mars bar" I had worked good but the sweetness bothered me for this one instant.

Skipped the first water station as I didn't want to have to pee like I had to during my first tri.

Had to get some water at the next water station (half way point right by the finish) as my 6 year old son Matthew and my 4 year old daughter Aimee were volunteering there.

Mentally tough 2nd lap but I pushed through it. Passed more people than passed me.

Train past 10km in my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching, walking around. Took off socks and shoes and went and stood in the lake (cold water therapy).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

First year in sport - much more training to be done!

Event comments:

Road and sidewalk construction probably bothered some people. I saw at least 4 people fixing flats - could have been due to the bad sections of road we had to jump over. I don't think the race organizer has much control over this - the City of Calgary chooses when to do the construction.

12th in Age Group (Men 40-49)
38th in Gender
51st Overall

Lake Chaparral is a beautiful community. I'd come back to race this again.

Last updated: 2006-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:38 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/140
Performance: Average
Suit: Rented (Ironman)
Course: 2 laps of semi triangular course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:06:52 | 36 kms | 32.30 km/hr
Age Group: 0/23
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 8 loop course inside the Lake Chaparral community.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
43:30:00 | 09 kms | 4h 50m  min/km
Age Group: 11/23
Performance: Average
Km splits were: 1) 4:23 2) 4:40 3) 4:24 4) 4:47 5) 5:07 (water station my kids were at) 6) 4:52 7) 5:26 (water station) 8) 4:46 9) 5:08
Course: 2 laps of same route as the bike course in Lake Chaparral community.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-14 5:11 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic
Congrats to Carrie (ch2626) - 1st in Age Group!

Edited by CalgaryRunner 2006-08-14 5:14 PM

2006-08-14 10:25 PM
in reply to: #511441

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic

Great Job.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Nice that your family is getting into the lifestyle as well.

Way to go. Clipless pedals are the bomb!

Dan

2006-08-15 12:20 AM

User image

Great job.. and a great time!  Despite the side stitch at the start of the run, it sounds like you had a fabulous race. 

Congrats!

2006-08-15 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go on doing this race! It sounds like you did super. I am excited about the race I am doing next week since I think it will be a flat course.

Your run time is AWESOME. I seriously think I could learn a lot from you about running. Still trying to get my 10k under an hour! I am so brutally slow. However, I have been training some LSDs and Hill Repeats with my husband! Hopefully I will see a difference on the sprint next week!

Anyway, great race! And great to see your kids are still having fun at the water stations and cheering on their Dad!
2006-08-15 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta

Aww! Thanks, Steve! Its weird seeing 1st in AG next to my name...I LIKE it, but its weird.

It sounds like you and the fam had an awesome day. Too bad we couldn't actually have met up!

You did AWESOME in the race! Congrats! Top half of your age group, and its only your first year!!!! You're going to rule the tris next year!

2006-08-15 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Wow, great bike time considering you were weariing running shoes! With the clipless next year you will be flying.

2006-08-15 3:08 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congratulations Steve! It looks like you had a great race.
2006-08-17 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Yeah!  Nice times for a successful race ... and it was particularly cool that your son did the Kids of Steel tri.  (I am working on my son's swim skills so he can do the same.)  You are setting an awesome example for your children.

Generally speaking, having to urinate on the run is relatively good news - at least you know you are hydrated (bad news = a full bladder can be painful to run with!).

A friend showed me a trick about putting socks on in T1 ... he puts his socks on, then peels them back 1/2 way before slipping them off again.  He then puts each sock in a ziplock bag full of baby powder and shakes ... this has alleviated the struggle I normal have in putting dry socks over wet feet.

Congrats on a race well done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed