General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting or not during triainig rides? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-02 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Drafting or not during triainig rides?
So I am 9.5 ish weeks out from Ironman Florida. My best sport by far is cycling. I keep thinking to myself if I go hard cycling and just survive the run. I have been getting a lot of slack from people close to me that I am drafting too much biking and I will suffer race day.
I realize I cant draft the entire day race day but i will the first 40 miles and then enjoy the rest.

2014-09-02 11:13 PM
in reply to: rungirl222

Subject: RE: Drafting or not during triainig rides?
Originally posted by rungirl222

So I am 9.5 ish weeks out from Ironman Florida. My best sport by far is cycling. I keep thinking to myself if I go hard cycling and just survive the run. I have been getting a lot of slack from people close to me that I am drafting too much biking and I will suffer race day.
I realize I cant draft the entire day race day but i will the first 40 miles and then enjoy the rest.

You're going to draft the first 40 miles??

Your friends/family members are right. You should be doing most of your training sans drafting. It's very easy to do decent mileage in a group and kid yourself you're getting a workout. I did a 3 hour pack ride the other day and despite averaging 37km/hr, was barely out of breath because we rode as a pack.
2014-09-02 11:29 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

You'll get penalized for drafting in IM. I really hope your strategy isn't to draft for 40 miles. At best you will pi$$ off a lot of people.

And if you kill the bike and just plan to survive the run, you will be really hurting on the run (walk). You're best to finish the bike strongly and not totally spent.
2014-09-03 12:38 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

You'll get penalized for drafting in IM. I really hope your strategy isn't to draft for 40 miles. At best you will pi$$ off a lot of people.

And if you kill the bike and just plan to survive the run, you will be really hurting on the run (walk). You're best to finish the bike strongly and not totally spent.

Ha ha I wasn't sure if I'd misinterpreted what she was she saying, but obviously not if that's what you got. I'm guessing she's not aware that Ironman events aren't draft legal!

I keep thinking to myself if I go hard cycling and just survive the run

This is a very bad strategy. You have 42km to run...

Edited by zedzded 2014-09-03 12:48 AM
2014-09-03 5:20 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
As said, you can't draft at all in most USAT races (there's very few draft legal AG races…), so forget that strategy.

Something tells me this is your first IM…. I think your strategy is going to hurt you. Keep the bike at a controlled pace, saving some energy for the run. Do not underestimate the marathon, surviving will happen no matter what, but at least make sure you have enough left in the tank that you can finish it.
2014-09-03 5:36 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
i was a bike aide volunteer then a participant asked wheres the "Penalty Tent" i dont know and we dont have one here in the station " He said he is given instructions by USAT official because of DRAFTING" guy left and after all the event i heard theres someone who made good time on the IM event but did not sit in the penalty tent for DRAFTINg just received a DQ.

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-03 5:37 AM

2014-09-03 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by rungirl222 So I am 9.5 ish weeks out from Ironman Florida. My best sport by far is cycling. I keep thinking to myself if I go hard cycling and just survive the run. I have been getting a lot of slack from people close to me that I am drafting too much biking and I will suffer race day. I realize I cant draft the entire day race day but i will the first 40 miles and then enjoy the rest.

No drafting allowed at Ironman races.  Here are the rules

1. Position Rules:

a. Absolutely NO DRAFTING of another bike or any other vehicle is allowed.

b. Athletes must keep 7 meters (4 bike lengths) distance between bikes except when passing. Failure to do so will result in a drafting violation.

c. A pass occurs when the overtaking athlete’s front wheel passes the leading edge of the athlete being overtaken.

d. Overtaking Athletes may pass on the left for up to 20 seconds, but must move back to the right side of the road, after passing. Failure to complete a pass within 20 seconds will result in a drafting violation. Athletes may not back out of the 7 meter draft zone once it is entered (drafting violation).

e. Overtaken athletes must immediately fall back 7 meters (4 bike lengths) before attempting to regain the lead from a front running bike. Immediately re-passing prior to falling back 7 meters will result in an overtaken violation.

f. Overtaken Athletes who remain within 7 meters (4 bike lengths) for more than 20 seconds will be given a drafting violation.

g. Athletes must ride single file on the far right side of the road except when passing another rider, or for reasons of safety. Side-by-side riding is not allowed and will result in a position violation.

h. Athletes who impede the forward progress of other athletes will be given a blocking violation.

i. Athletes committing rules violations will be notified "on the spot" by an official.

j. Do not attempt to discuss the penalty with the official.

The official will:

i. Call out your race number and/or notify you that you have received either a RED CARD for drafting and intentional littering or a YELLOW CARD for any other penalty. The official will show you the corresponding colored card.

ii. Instruct you to report to the next penalty tent (PT) on the course. There will be at least two PTs on the course. THE EXACT LOCATION OF THE PTs WILL BE STATED AT THE PRE-RACE MEETING.

The athlete will:

i. Report to the next PT and tell the PT Official whether you were shown a RED CARD or a YELLOW CARD. If you fail to report to the next PT, you may be disqualified.

ii. Have race numbers marked by the PT Official with a "/" for drafting or a "P" for all other penalties.

iii. Register, via the sign-in sheet.

iv. Resume the race immediately, upon having your numbers marked with a "P" and registering, for all non-drafting violations (YELLOW CARD).

v. Remain in the PT for the time indicated in the table below, for each drafting and intentional littering violation (RED CARD):

1st Offense- 4:00 minutes

2nd Offense- 4:00 minutes

3rd Offense- Disqualification (DQ)

vi. Be disqualified if you receive any combination of three penalties. If you are disqualified, you may finish the bike course but may not start the run.

vii. Be disqualified for not reporting to the PT.

2014-09-03 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Let me hold back the attack dogs. People are jumping all over you. I "think" you mean the first 40 miles of IMFL is notorious for drafting because the field is so jammed pack and one can't help but draft. Right? It's possible to legally draft and get out of all the congestion. Practice that now with your group.

You will find tons of drafting there. People doing it legally and people flat out cheating. Don't cheat.

Drafting= Riding on the success of others.

Edited by GAUG3 2014-09-03 7:23 AM
2014-09-03 7:34 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GAUG3
Originally posted by rungirl222 I realize I cant draft the entire day race day but i will the first 40 miles and then enjoy the rest.
Let me hold back the attack dogs. People are jumping all over you. I "think" you mean the first 40 miles of IMFL is notorious for drafting because the field is so jammed pack and one can't help but draft. Right? It's possible to legally draft and get out of all the congestion. Practice that now with your group. You will find tons of drafting there. People doing it legally and people flat out cheating. Don't cheat. Drafting= Riding on the success of others.

I'm wondering that too. Hoping what's meant is that a draft is going to happen simply from the sheer number of people out on the course. Especially earlier in the bike. Not holding directly on someone's wheel.

Still don't think hammering the bike is a good idea for an event of this duration. Even if you're ok with run/walking a lot of the run, it's not going to be easy if you're shelled from the bike. You'll feel like garbage from the start and it won't really get better.

2014-09-03 8:04 AM

User image

Exton, PA

During your group rides, try to hang off the back, or pull the group. When you draft you use 20%- 30% less energy then if you were pulling at the same speed.

So if your group rides are averaging 18mph and you believe you can hold that pace during IM, you will be in bad shape. You'll be averaging more like 14-15mph with that same amount of energy that you are used to using to average 18mph.

If you push too hard on the bike your next 4 to 8 hours will be living hell!
2014-09-03 8:32 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rungirl222 So I am 9.5 ish weeks out from Ironman Florida. My best sport by far is cycling. I keep thinking to myself if I go hard cycling and just survive the run. I have been getting a lot of slack from people close to me that I am drafting too much biking and I will suffer race day. I realize I cant draft the entire day race day but i will the first 40 miles and then enjoy the rest.

For your training, the drafting isn't really the issue in and of itself. It's how hard you may be working. If the other riders are notably stronger, you'll have to work to keep up with them. Riding hard is riding hard and you'll improve. However, you will want at least some riding more out on your own to be familiar with having to power yourself and not having to key off other people. You'll see people around all the time at the IM, but you're not actually going to be riding together quite like in the groups you're doing now. You'll want to know how to ride your own race. That will include good size periods of time of you pushing into the wind without having a break coming up from sitting in back of the pack.

For developing your cycling power, use whatever means you have available. If the group rides push you, then by all means use them to do so.

2014-09-03 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by rungirl222 I am drafting too much biking

what do you mean by this?  If you are putting in the effort it doesn't matter if you are sucking a wheel or not.  Also try not to intentionally draft the first 40 miles of your race... just because the race is known as a draftfest doesn't mean it's ok for you to make the problem worse. 

2014-09-03 9:14 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-03 10:38 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Boise, ID

Not to pile on... but I will.

1. Group riding has it's benefits but also it's drawbacks. The very nature of group riding is counter to tri riding. In a group you are either in a flowing paceline where you are taking hard pulls then backing way off and drafting and never keeping a steady effort, or you are sucking wheel in the back and slacking. There is a big difference between interval work in a group ride and long steady state riding that you need for IM. You have 9 weeks which means you should be in the meat of your really long rides. Do these rides by yourself or with the group but don't draft. I am a huge fan of group riding but when I got into the serious prep for my IM I skipped the weekend group ride and did my long ride by myself (or with one buddy and I towed him the whole time). You need some good long rides at a steady effort rather than the work hard then rest style of group riding.

Also don't expect to keep the kind of pace you do with your group in the IM. I group ride between 20-25mph, my long rides solo were closer to 17-18. My IM was windy as all get out and I only managed a 16.3 average, a far cry from my usual group ride pace.

2. I suffer from the same disease as you, I love cycling, I swim so I can get to the bike and I run because I want to finish, the fun is the cycling. After 2 HIMs and 1 IM I can tell you this... It is a TERRIBLE idea to go hard on the bike in an IM and hope to "survive" the run. Yes we all hope to survive the run, but a marathon is serious business, an IM marathon is a whole nother beast. You will be flat out miserable from the get go on the run if you hammer the bike. I went easy and then backed off from there on the bike in my IM and I still did a lot of death marching on the run. It was about all I could do to get myself to go back out on that second 13 mile loop. The last 6 miles are a fog in my memory, it was not fun. I am glad I did it, but it was not fun. Imagine feeling that way with 20 miles to go. That could be enough to make someone drop out of the race all together.

Consider this. The amount of power and energy it takes to go from a 16mph average on the bike to an 18mph average is a big number. But over the course of an IM it does not save you a ton of time overall. Now the difference between running and walking a marathon is huge and will save you tons of time for relatively less output. Better to go easy and average 16mph on the bike so that you can maintain somewhere in the 10-12 minute mile range, than the blow up the bike at 18mph and then walk the marathon at 15 min miles. 

There are times to go hard on a bike, they are called Sprint or Oly tris and bike races. IM is not the time to go hard on the bike unless you are supremely confident in your marathon. Good luck and have fun!

2014-09-03 2:09 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Group riding has it's benefits but also it's drawbacks. The very nature of group riding is counter to tri riding.

Not nearly as much as you think.  You either put the work in or you don't.  People can slack off just as easily on their own as they can in the back of a group.  And depending on the group, staying at the back could be an effort that is well above what a given person may be willing to do on their own.

The overall key, like Ben mentioned, is knowing what effort you can sustain for 112 miles and still run well.  So yes, some solo rides may be needed to dial that in, but other than that, it doesn't really matter how you ride as long as you are putting in an effort that will build bike fitness.

2014-09-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: zedzded

Originally posted by zedzded
Your friends/family members are right. You should be doing most of your training sans drafting. It's very easy to do decent mileage in a group and kid yourself you're getting a workout. I did a 3 hour pack ride the other day and despite averaging 37km/hr, was barely out of breath because we rode as a pack.

I don't see why drafting itself is a problem when training. I have plenty of friends who ride, (not triathletes) who draft 100% of their training and are much faster than I am if you put us both in a 40km time trial.

If you're drafting and it's too easy, either speed up, or take the lead. It's very possible to get tired with a group.

2014-09-03 2:27 PM
in reply to: chris948

Pro

Do some motor pacing and tell me that drafting doesn't make you faster.

2014-09-03 2:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Left Brain

Exactly.

2014-09-03 3:53 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

Let me hold back the attack dogs. People are jumping all over you. I "think" you mean the first 40 miles of IMFL is notorious for drafting because the field is so jammed pack and one can't help but draft. Right? It's possible to legally draft and get out of all the congestion. Practice that now with your group.

You will find tons of drafting there. People doing it legally and people flat out cheating. Don't cheat.

If that's what she meant (getting caught in the large "legal draft" then ok.... but that will still feel a lot different than when she's actually drafting in a group ride.

Anyway, I want a report back about how the 42.2.K at the end feels.
2014-09-03 4:33 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

If your riding in groups you just have to be honest with yourself and decide if you are working hard enough to get stronger. If the answer is yes, it doesn't matter if your sucking a wheel or not. I've been in groups where holding a wheel was all I could manage and they were great workouts for building strength and endurance. On the flip side, if you feel you could be getting more out of those workouts, spend some more time in the wind at the front. If you're like me, you'll get more satisfaction knowing your helping to pull the group along.
2014-09-03 8:14 PM
in reply to: chris948

Originally posted by chris948

Originally posted by zedzded

I don't see why drafting itself is a problem when training. I have plenty of friends who ride, (not triathletes) who draft 100% of their training and are much faster than I am if you put us both in a 40km time trial.

If you're drafting and it's too easy, either speed up, or take the lead. It's very possible to get tired with a group.

No, i wasn't saying it's a problem. You can still get a really good workout, especially if you're rotating regularly. What I meant was it's easier to take it easy when drafting. You can end up kidding yourself you're fitter than you actually are, especially if you never lead from the front and just sit on someones tail the whole time.

2014-09-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: briderdt

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Originally posted by briderdt

Exactly.

Like. X2

2014-09-04 3:20 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Franklin, TN

I haven't heard of this.  Is it a training ride behind a car going at a steady pace?

2014-09-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: JoelO

Pro

Originally posted by JoelO

I haven't heard of this.  Is it a training ride behind a car going at a steady pace?

Motorcycle

2014-09-04 4:07 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, a motorcycle or scooter, or someone going really really fast. 

I have motorpaced on the street, but motorpace weekly on our local velodrome. Sets are different speeds and different drills that are mostly track specific, but often we just do straight up motorpacing, i.e. 3 sets of 10 minutes at 50km/hr.

I've also motorpaced off a car, but that is usually just to get back into a group after fixing a flat. It's more dangerous behind a car.

Edited by jeng 2014-09-04 4:09 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting or not during triainig rides? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Drafting / Not drafting

Started by pmcroome
Views: 1006 Posts: 8

2013-05-17 9:48 AM MattMem

To (swim) draft, or not to draft, that is my question Pages: 1 2

Started by technoyos
Views: 4068 Posts: 43

2014-09-03 1:08 AM zedzded

Drafting drafting drafting Pages: 1 2

Started by MalcolmG
Views: 3473 Posts: 26

2011-03-21 11:22 AM GoFaster

Drafting during group rides....Am I wrong? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ballyard7
Views: 3450 Posts: 55

2010-04-22 6:31 AM jeffw85

drafting during swim?

Started by lonnyanddeanne
Views: 1709 Posts: 24

2009-08-17 2:50 PM DEMIGODKNIGHT
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.