Logan, Utah
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 27h 47m 56s
Overall Rank = 43/310
Age Group = M44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It all started two years ago, a year after I had completed my first Ironman. Going into my second Ironman I was eating up everything I could on how to improve the different legs of the event. One suggestion on improving the run was to hit the hills. With plenty of mountains just outside my back door, that's what I did.
I definitely noticed improved times and less banging of the joints, but more importantly I developed a love for simply running in the mountains.
During this time I came across an Ultra running magazine and the distances they were talking about were absurd. 50K, 50miles, 100 miles. Some starting at an elevation of 12,000 feet (an altitude where pilots are required to provide oxygen to passengers). And that's the start line. They climb from there. Runners running through the night. Race reports of sleep deprived, shaky legged, dehydrated, muddy, runners seeing visions of Goblins and fairies. Humans being stripped to the very core of their existence. No wants... just needs. But coming out the other side with enlightenment that only someone who has passed through this experience could know.
It was at this time that a swimming buddy told me about a local race, the bear 100, that had been ran for years here, but 99 out of a 100 locals had never heard of it. No, this was a couple hundred runners that gathered here from the different corners of the globe, with only a few local runners that ran it each year. So in the Fall of 2013, I decided to put that on my list for 2014. So for the past two years I've ran every square inch of the BEAR trail, put in my volunteer hours (required for registration by the Race Director), and completed a qualifying 50 miler in March.
I couldn't devote all my time to running trails, as I had also signed up for the inaugural IRONMAN BOULDER, so it wasn't until I finished that race in early August, that 100% of my time was devoted to THE BEAR.
In addition to the countless hours of training, I read every race report I could get my hands on and watched every youtube video from past racers. I experimented with all different sorts of shoes, socks, hydration packs/belts, nutrition, headlamps, clothing etc. while out on my long runs. 100 miles was too long to not get it right.
So nearly two years after this seed was planted in my thoughts, race-week had arrived.
I ended up with 8 drop bags, but all but 1 contained only food that I had experimented with out on the trails. Not having ever run a 100 miler, I didn't know what the aid stations would have.
In my bags I had 1 can of Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup, 1 plastic cup pickles/pickle juice, a small baggie with my Ironman Perform powder, 1 -2 Gu chomp packs and Gu gel packs, various small bags of chips and sunflower seeds. Also I stuck in Campbells Tomato Soup in a couple of the bags with everything else in case the Chicken Noodle soup got tiresome. I also put a handful of dates in a couple bags. They are good calories but don't have any real taste to me, so I figured they would be a good source late in the race.
My Tony Grove bag (mile 52ish) had my smaller headlamp (This was meant to be a back up in case I got behind my projected time and needed some light between Tony Grove and Franklin Basin. Boy was I ever naïve in thinking I could make it to Franklin Basin and still be light).
Most of my warm clothes were packed in my Franklin Basin (mile 62ish) drop bag.
The weather predictions seemed to change daily, but the night before the race it was clear that this would be a hot race the first half, and then with a cool front and rain coming in late Friday, would be a cold wet race the last half.
Race morning I was up at 3:30AM and followed my typical breakfast that I had during my training runs. Hot cereal, toast, ensure and a banana.
With the start only a few miles from my home I decided to go back to bed. I woke up again at 5:00AM and went about getting ready. I would call it a quiet nervousness.
Run
  • 27h 47m 56s
  • 100 miles
  • 16m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I pulled in about 10 minutes before the start, hit the porto and joined the crowd with about 2 minutes to go. And just like that, we were off. My day had begun.
From previous race reports I decided I didn't want to join the conga line to the top, so I kept a pace that put me with the first 50-60 to hit the single track. I got myself situated perfectly to do a power hike to the top.
As it turned out it was my fastest time from the start to Syncline trail split-off. My average is around 1:30, but on race day I found myself in a pack of runners and I was clearly out of their league. I made the mistake of running with them and we reached the Syncline in 1:09. Uh oh. I knew that was way too fast for me.
I had a chance to talk to several of them and it was clear they were piped into the ultra community. Gavin, who I spoke with the most, had paced Darcy Africa at Hardrock. Everyone seemed to know everyone. It was great chatting and getting to know them but once we reached the 4 wheeler tracks, about mile 6, I moved to the side and sure enough the group I had been running with took off. I knew better than to follow, so I got in my own rhythm.
Running along the West face above Logan was something I've done many times and it never gets old. Today was no different. The cotton candy clouds looked almost fake as they hovered over my home town. The day was starting out perfect.
I kept a pretty good pace, but not too fast on the downhill to Welches flat, and power hiked the up hills.
Chatting it up along the way was a real treat since I'm usually running these trails alone. Before I knew it I was at Aid Station 1 (mile 10ish). 3 very good friend were manning the station and it was so good to see them, even if it was only briefly.
I flew in and flew out. Running up above Providence canyon I met one of the other locals in the race, Erick Syrstad (sp). There was only a few of us representing the valley so to discover the guy running next to me was a local was great.
We stuck together to the summit before the drop down around the back side of Millville peak. He was able to fly down the rocky, technical terrain, where I did more of a tip toe dance. We parted there and I wouldn't see him the rest of the race, although I did see he came in under 27 hrs.
I kept a decent pace down to the Leatham Hollow turn, and was feeling good as I started down that trail. Leatham is a place where you can really make up for some of the slow uphill from earlier. It's a soft trail with a gentle slope, very well shaded….. you can just fly.
About a mile into the Leatham trail I start to feel the slight buzz of cramps. I had salt at the aid station but that was still 4 miles away. Then without warning my right calf went into a full on Charlie Horse with the knotted up calf, the pulling, the pointed toe.... and me rolling in the dirt, screaming like a little girl. How embarrassing. Thank God no one had been too close to me to see or hear the spectacle.
I sat on the trail trying feverishly to pull my toe back and get it stretched out. I finally heard some runners coming up on me and so I scooted off the trail as best I could and allowed them to past. They were all very kind, but I told them I was just dealing with cramp issues and I was okay.
One of the next runners to pass me was Gustavo Flores, another local whom I had run with. He stopped to make sure I was okay. He told me to slow down.... he reminded me that it was a very long day. With a wave of my hand I signaled him to hit the trail as he was losing time.
Leatham was the stretch where I was supposed to gain back all this time and I had to resign myself to a 1/2 walk, trot, limp for three miles of the finest part of the whole course. More importantly, though, I felt that my day would come to an end long before the finish line. I couldn't push off my toes without feeling that familiar electric buzz of a cramp in the making.
About a mile out from the aid station a very kind runner stopped and asked if I needed salt. I accepted. He then said something that changed my whole day. He told me that he had been all cramped up early in a race, and once he got sodium and rehydrated he had finished. "Just don't pull out before you give yourself a chance to come out of this".
I was also encouraged by the fact that my original plan put me coming into leatham A.S. (mile 20ish) between 10:30 and 11, and it was 10:40AM. So I lost some time but I was still on track.
I kind of limped into the aid station where I saw more friendly faces and they were quick and awesome to get stuff in me and my pack. I had placed a neck bandana that you can fill with ice in my drop bag and it came in handy the entire race. I also put in my little mini ipod. I never listen to music when I run, but I knew the stretch between Leatham and Temple was going to get hot and I figured that would help get me through those sections. I was in and out of Leatham AS in less than 10 minutes.
Running up the dirt road toward Richards (a 3 mile stretch) I still felt the stab of cramps in waiting each time I tried to push off at an attempt of a run, so I had a run/walk thing going on.
I did a quick refill of H2O only, at Richards and then it was upward and onward again. I've always ran Richards except for maybe the switchbacks, but today there was no way, so began the zippy walk that would kind of become my theme for the next few hours. I found that when I did the zippy walk (though it looks ridiculous), I could hang with some of the runners.
The day was starting to get hot, and the ice bandana was doing a marvelous job. I'm so glad I added that to my things at the last second. I ran out of water about two miles from the aid station and I was actually able to dig into the bandana and get some ice to chew on to get me through. Soon enough I had reached the top of Richards, and then it was a fast decent into the Cowley aid station.
By the time I hit the decent into Cowley, the cramps were all but forgotten, but a new problem began to make its way into my life. The dreaded IT Band pain.
I had been dealing with this for the last two weeks of my Peak training. In training it would usually hit about mile 9 but it would taper off at about mile 20, so long as the descents weren't too steep. Today it didn't hit until mile 27ish, but it was manageable.
Coming into Cowley, I once again was surprised by friends that were working the aid stations. Also, it was the first time I saw family. BJ was their (in the work truck, displaying the company name .... always marketing).
We chatted while the awesome volunteers got my garbage out and fuel in to my pack. Checked the time: 1:20PM. Andra was expecting me at RH Aid Station at 2ish. I told BJ to tell her it would probably be 3PM. And I was off. “#116 out”.
The next two miles are a climb up a steep dirt road. It was here that I really started to get hot. I took the ice bandana and balanced it on my head as I powered up the climb.
At the turn off to descend Ricks Canyon my relief was short-lived as the IT pain came back only much stronger. Ricks is usually a fun trail to run but today it was probably the 2nd most miserable spot of the race. Not only was the IT band flaring but I had run out of water and had sucked my Ice-bandana dry. At one point I pulled off to pee and the color was Coca-Cola dark. I knew that couldn't be good. I was constantly changing gears while dealing with the pain..... I just couldn't get in a groove. I knew the whole family would be waiting at RH Fork, so I just kind of gutted through the last two miles to the aid station.
At 3:15ish I rolled into RH Fork. My family and the Ibis crew (local coffee crowd) were there whooping and hollering. It bolstered by spirits somewhat but there was no question, I was in trouble. I could hear people asking me things, but my mouth couldn't, or wouldn't spit out the responses.
Once again the volunteers were swift in getting me loaded. Andra had brought me up a Jimmy Johns sandwich, and so, with half my brain checked out, I headed out once again with sandwich in tow. I went back to my zippy walk as I powered away from the aid station. I began to pass people that looked in worse condition than me.... didn't even think that was possible.
I was putting down obscene amounts of water but I knew there was a natural spring just off the trail about 2 1/2 miles in and my plan was to fill back up there. About a 1/2 mile after I refilled my water bottle at the spring, the trail merges on to a dirt road and that is where things started to change for the better.
Just as I was cresting the top of the dirt road, clouds began to form in the sky and move in front of the sun. I began the descent down to Temple Fork, but this was a very gradual drop and the IT band was spared. I flew down the road, and onto the trail that parallels the road. A small stream provided additional relief from the heat. I was getting stronger and faster. I was now back on a high that was as high as the low was low that I had just been in (not sure if that makes sense to anyone else but me).
I cruised into Temple Fork a brand new man. 5:10PM. By now I had scrapped all my plans and projected times. I was running a little over an hour behind where I thought I would be, and I wasn't even 1/2 way. I also scrapped my watch, ipod and all thoughts of a decent finish. "A" finish was going to have to be decent enough.
I was out of Temple Fork in 5 minutes with my first pacer (step-son, Bently). We pretty much power hiked all of the Blind Hollow/Hansen Pond climb. He was so full of energy. I'm trying to conserve every ounce of energy by taking the path of least resistance over down'd trees and large rocks. He was bouncing off the rocks, trails and trees.
The wind had started to really kick up but it felt good. I was still running pretty hot from earlier in the day, so the predictions of rain didn't bother me at all. Once we reached the top we were able to turn on the burners down into the Tony Grove Aid Station. Tony Grove Lake was off the charts gorgeous. It was like glass. A mirror reflecting the towering cliffs that stood behind it. Half way. 7:10PM. Life is good. The predicted rain still had not hit.
At Tony Grove I put on a brand new pair of socks. Swapped out my fuel, put on a headlamp and I was off with my next pacer (next door neighbor, Nate). Nate had brought me a super soft burrito from taco time. I ate it on the first part of the trail as it was a climbing section.
About a mile into this section it was time for the lights. I wasn't sure that I would need a light in this section so I had packed one of my cheepos and left my good 230 lumen Diamondback at the next aid station. That was a terrible mistake. I had a hard time with the weaker light. This section is mostly descending into Franklin Basin and I felt like I was clipping along pretty good, but I had to hold back slightly for fear of not seeing real well. This section stayed pretty warm and there was still no sign of rain and so, as we entered Franklin Basin I wasn't sure that I was going to need any more layers for the rest of the race.
When we arrived at Franklin Basin and my next pacer held my warm clothes out, I decided to pass.... a mistake that would cost me dearly. If I remember it was about 9:30PM when we left Franklin Basin. The first mile and change out of the aid station is rocky and steep. But I felt strong. We were passing groups in droves. We power hiked the steep climbs and ran everything else. This section is soooo pretty in the daytime. Unfortunately, tonight, it would have to be seen in my memory.
It was right before shorty's cut-off that I caught Gustavo who had ran by me clear back at Leatham. He said he was hanging in, but he couldn't stay with us for more than a few hundred yards. That whole section is runnable and except for few steep descents that's what we did. When we hit the road we were able to fly. The IT was feeling good, the cramps were history. Everything was lovely.
We arrived at The Logan River Aid station (mile 69) at about 12:20AM. Again, we were there for less than 5 minutes. Just enough time to refuel. I refused to sit down at any aid station for fear that chair would become my personal black hole. No…., better to stay standing and keep things ticking.
So over the river and back up into the night we went. I had hoped to run Peterson Hollow, but I couldn't get into a groove. Between the darkness, the turns and the climbs I ended up doing a lot of run/walk starts I just couldn’t get into a rhythm. So I resigned myself to the zippy walk along a section that I know was runnable. Sadly enough, it was at the top of Long Hollow as we were beginning to descend down to Beaver Mountain Ski Area, that I realized that I had not swapped out my headlamp. I had put the good one in my pack and kept the cheap one on my head. Once I switched them out, it was like someone had just turned on the sun.
So now I could see, but it was almost exactly at this moment that it started to sprinkle. Just enough to lube the tops of the rocks and with a somewhat technical decent down Long Hollow, I couldn't get up to speed until we got closer to the bottom.
The rain stayed at a sprinkle all the way to Beaver Mountain. It did start to make a mess of the trails and as we came to the paved road there was a 20 ft. section that kind of takes you by surprise and drops off rather quick. Me and the couple of guys behind me all took a spill there and came up a muddy mess.
We came into the Beaver Ski Patrol Lodge (mile 75) a muddy mess at just before 2:30AM. The place was buzzing with activity. I had been warned about staying here too long, but I had started to develop a blister that needed some attention. A volunteer cleaned up my heel, and bandaged it up real good. I got my sock/shoe back on, picked up my new pacer (Kammi, sister) and we were out the door. 10 minutes in the lodge was my longest stop.
Kammi had brought me a chicken burrito that I munched on for the first mile of our section. Climbing up Sink Hollow was very frustrating because of all the mud. We had a lot to talk about so time went quickly. At the Gibson Basin Aid station I thought we had done about 4 miles, but the volunteer told me it was more like 5 1/2 from Beaver Mtn. Wow, without doing a thing I just picked up an extra mile and 1/2. Any energy booster for sure.
We were in and out of that aid station in about 5 minutes, and I was feeling good. Other than some steep descents, we ran it into Beaver Creek Campground. The IT bothered me some but I tried to just run through it. Getting across the stream by the A.S. was tricky. A guy held out his hand and told me to jump and he'd catch me on the other side. Jump? At mile 85? Ooookaay? I gave it everything I had and it felt like I had two sand bags tied around my legs. I made it across, but really the stream was probably less than two feet wide. But on 85 mile legs, it looked like the Mississippi.
So there I was, picking up my last pacer (BJ, Brother) on this adventure. 5:45AM. We headed out into the darkness and about 30 seconds outside the cozy confines of the aid station it starts to rain, then pour, then a hard down-pour. I was already a wreck but I'm sure BJ wasn't prepared for this. He'd been waiting in the warm truck and in an instant he's wet, muddy and cold.
We slopped our way up the climb out of Beaver Creek Campground. For about 10 feet we tried to bounce around the different islands in a trail that had become a river. It was no use. We accepted the fact that it was simply going to be a wet finish. Two miles from the aid station we took the cut off to the Red Sinks Trail. Not long after we hit that trail, the wind started to blow terribly hard. Like 30mph. The temperature plummeted and my rain-soaked clothes were now acting as an A/C unit for my body. It was here that I really started to regret not bringing the extra layers I had in my drop bag back at Franklin.
It was through this section, though, that it occurred to me how very REAL this race is. The ironman is a tough day, no question..... but with the support and aid stations all along the way, you never feel threatened. But here, as we were being swallowed up by the rain, wind and mud, it occurred to me that I was well over an hour from any help in either direction. And were you to get lost (and I've met many who did), even longer. It's ..... Raw.
At the top of the trail is where things got real interesting. The sky had started to get light, but coming off the back side, before you drop down onto the Red Sinks/Swan Flat Road, it is very steep. It’s extremely hard to negotiate on dry days let alone what we were dealing with. This was just slip, slide fall… repeat. When I got sliding too fast, I’d try to grab a hold of scrub brush along the trail to slow down. It became very comical. I just had to chuckle, to keep me from getting too frustrated. We were all in it together.
Once we got down on the Red Sinks road, we were back to clipping along at a good pace as we rolled into the final aid station. Ranger Dip. 7:50AM. Again, we didn't stay long. Less than 3 minutes.
Leaving Ranger Dip AS the rain had gone back to drizzle and the wind had subsided. The first climb out of the aid station is a four-wheeler trail that is about a mile long, and it seems like it's straight up. With the mud, it made an already difficult climb, very tricky. I grabbed two makeshift climbing poles, (tree limbs I found along the trail) and used them as leverage, but I for every 3 steps forward, I would lose 2. Bj found that staying right in the tire track where the water was flowing like a river, actually provided better traction. I followed suit. With the shoes already soaked, it didn't matter anyway.
Once on top of Ranger Dip it's mostly runnable until you start the final descent. I'd been dreading this section since Ricks Hollow at mile 33, where I knew my IT band would be seriously tested.
When BJ and I left the AS I asked if he thought we could finish before 10AM. It was too early to tell. But now, as we stared down the long steep descent with 40 minutes left to go about 4-5 miles I told him we could do it. I threw caution to the wind and we started a run/slip/slid combo down the steep descent.
Even the last short but steep climb up to the water tower I was able to hold a 10-11MM pace, and then flying down the back side we dropped into the 7MM range. When we hit the final road with 1 1/2 miles left there was no doubt we would make it before 10AM. I didn't want someone sneaking up behind me either (we had passed several people on the final descent), so I told BJ who had his Garmin, to keep us below a 9MM pace for the final stretch.
Without about a 1/2 mile to go I saw Andra and Isabella on the road yelling and screaming and holding a sign. As I rounded the corner I saw more of my family that I didn’t even know were going to be there. It’s interesting… the finish at Ironman is thousands of spectators lining the streets yelling, screaming and high-fiving. Here it is just family (with a few of the race organizers, and other runners and their family). Very anti climatic. But yet it was SO MUCH MORE. It’s very personal.
As I sit here exactly a week later wrapping up this race report, it has been so fun to re live it in its entirety. Aid station by aid station. Mile by mile. To quote a fellow racer Kendall Wimmer (sorry for stealing, but you put it perfectly.
“I miss it.
The train up the first climb. The colors. That perfect little section of single track. Making a new friend. The energy of an aid station. Rock hopping across a stream. That moment when you first turn the headlamp on for the night. Rain. Hot potato soup from a caring stranger. Seeing a friend who you counted out. Sliding in the mud. Elk bugling in the middle of the night. When you realize you can't get any wetter therefore avoiding puddles is unnecessary. When finishing becomes imminent. Hitting pavement. Turning the corner. Crossing the finish-line.
I miss all of it.”
This last week has been awkward. I live right under the BEAR, and I find myself staring at her constantly. Like a schoolboy who got to dance with the prom queen for one dance, and now I’m sitting on the side, looking in, aching. I wasn’t prepared for post-race blues. What an experience. I will dance with her again, next year.
Post race

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
27:47:56 | 100 miles | 16m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 43/310
Performance:
Course: The BEAR 100 is a point to point race that begins in Logan, UT and traverses the mountains of the Cache National forest and ends at the North side of Bear Lake in Fish Haven, ID. The elevation gain is 22,000 ft. 14,000 of which is done in the first 50 miles of the race. The race is ran in Autumn making for some gorgeous vistas. Most of the race is single track.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-10-06 12:47 AM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Subject: Bear 100 Ultra Marathon

2014-10-06 4:39 AM
in reply to: #5057031

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Subject: RE: Bear 100 Ultra Marathon
WOW!! Amazing job! Well done and nice report.
2014-10-10 7:53 AM
in reply to: jgs733

Great report. And great job doing the IM and this in the same year. I couldn't imagine trying to train for both. Also, that elevation is crazy. I ran 22 mi with 2600 ft gain the day before yesterday (according to gps) and thought that was a lot.

I have my first 50 miler in about a month and a half, and at this point can only dream of doing races like this. Congrats. (As a side note, I am also very envious that you get to live in such a beautiful place).
2014-10-11 10:13 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Congrats on a truly epic race.  Loved reading your report.  You describe well the things that make an event like this such an incredible adventure. 

2014-10-13 2:13 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pennsylvania

Incredible, simply incredible. Your write-up was very enjoyable and I felt like I was there on the trail, too.  Congratulations on your careful preparation and finish!

2014-10-23 1:35 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Thank you, and good luck on your 50 miler. Where is it at?

2014-10-24 10:12 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

That was an awesome report!  I felt like I was there.  Congrats!

2014-10-28 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Great job!  I spent a year in Logan and briefly considered this race, but other things prevailed.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bear 100 Ultra Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lost Soul Ultra 100 Mile

Started by BigDH
Views: 2548 Posts: 9

2013-12-03 8:44 AM djdavey

NJ Ultra Festival - 100 Mile

Started by starrlinda
Views: 1734 Posts: 6

2013-03-26 7:37 PM lmecoll

Oil Creek 100 Trail Run - 100 Mile

Started by carrie1
Views: 2186 Posts: 5

2012-10-26 4:42 AM sbrdave

Oil Creek 100 Trail Run - 100 Mile

Started by wolchr
Views: 1478 Posts: 1

2012-03-26 7:21 AM wolchr

100 on 100 Relay

Started by akustix
Views: 1468 Posts: 2

2007-08-30 10:10 AM jcagg90
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : August 15, 2013
author : JeffY
comments : 0
JeffY reviews this rear water bottle carrier on a variety of saddles.
date : February 1, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
comments : 2
Less drag than frame bottles

date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!