General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon - 1st Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon - 1st Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 45m 26s
Overall Rank = 128/224
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/53
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00, showered to wake myself up. Ate some oatmeal with protein powder mixed in it. Got my husband out of bed. Put the bike on the car, bag in the car, the husband in the car, and took off for the race in the rain. Got there about 5:40 and it was still drizzling. Got my bike off the car and put it in a rack, but decided to wait to set everything else up because it was raining. The nice woman who parked next to me gave me some trash bags to put all my stuff in as I was not at all prepared for rain as it NEVER rains in Colorado except, of course, on the day of my first triathlon. Sucks.
Event warmup:

Shivering in the cold @$$ rain. The water temp was warmer then the air temp and it was windy. I got in the water so I could get used to the temp and then swam a bit trying to get comfortable, but it wasn't much use. Got out of the water and found a building to use as a wind block until I had to get in line.
Swim
  • 14m 25s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a relay start, so I stood in line and when it was my turn I ran to the water and dove in. Started swimming, but the water was really, really choppy because of the wind and the rain. Every time I breathed I got water in my mouth. Dog paddled for 5 seconds to get my brain in gear and then after about 50 meters found my rhythm and started turning my body more so I could breathe without getting a wave in my mouth. I passed the first kayak and 3 women were hanging on it freaking out. I told myself to be calm that I don't need to freak out. After that I got my pace and I felt good for the rest of the swim. My swim was around 12 minutes including a 2 minute run to T1 up from the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster. Practice more open water swims so I don't have trouble in the beginning. Practice running faster in bare feet after swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

I didn't have a wetsuit so I didn't need to worry about getting that off. Didn't have any trouble finding my bike because it's bright yellow and PearlDad also has a bright yellow bike and he parked right next to me. My hands were so cold I had trouble putting my bike shoes on. Mistake #1 was here. I had buckled my helmet and hung it on my handlebars. My hands were so cold they didn't work and it took me several seconds to get it unbuckled. Also I stood there for a few seconds because I knew I was forgetting something, but I couldn't think what I was forgetting, so I figured screw it, just go. Got out of T1, got on the bike and started up and realized what I had forgotten was my gloves.

Don't buckle helmet and hang it on my handlebars. Gotta learn that shoes on the bike trick.
Bike
  • 54m 11s
  • 14.25 miles
  • 15.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I was afraid to go too fast on the bike because the roads were so wet and it was drizzling. I went as fast as I was comfortable with. I never really felt like I got my bike legs under me. I'm used to doing longer rides and taking my time getting warmed up. It usually takes me about 10 miles to feel good on the bike. Regardless, I passed quite a few women, got passed by not as many women and men that I thought would pass me. I could have gone faster up the hills though. I checked my top speed after the race and it was 35mph, which is slower then I had wanted it to be, but faster then I had anticipated that I would have the courage to go considering the wet conditions. I know I could have gone faster.

Train more for sprints and not long distances.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Really gotta work on my transitions. Got my bike shoes off no problem. My hands were cold, yet again so I was having trouble getting my running shoes tied. Need to get some of those quick elastic tie things. Anyhow, eventually got them on, grabbed my hat and number and took off.

Get some quick tie elastic things for my running shoes.
Run
  • 32m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't believe my run time. I am so slow at running usually and I felt like I was going at a snails pace, but it was faster then I had thought I was going. I passed a lot of women. I was really surprised at how many women were walking. Before the race I thought I might have to walk on the run, but I felt great and I didn't have to and I ran faster then I thought I could run. I was grinning ear to ear when I saw that finish line and even started to sprint to the end.

Go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around looking my husband.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain. Cold. Inexperience.

Event comments:

I had so much fun at this race, I can't wait to do another one!

Last updated: 2006-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:25 | 500 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 0/224
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Triangle course.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:11 | 14.25 miles | 15.78 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:32:25 | 03.11 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat with a couple small inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Westminster, Colorado
Subject: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon - 1st Tri

2006-08-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: #517364

User image

Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon - 1st Tri
Way to go Laura...completed your first tri. It was nice to meet you and park our yellow bikes together....it helped me find my T2 spot quickly.

Glad to hear you felt good on the run.
2006-08-21 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, Colorado
Congrats on a great race.  I thought the conditions were tough for a first race.   You still beat me by a few seconds on the bike leg and if you look at how everone did over all on the bike your time was not that bad.
2006-08-21 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Congrats on finishing your first race! Those were some tough conditions, especially on the swim so it was great that you were able to finish with a smile. You'll find that every race you take away something and get faster and faster... Hopefully we'll get to meet up one of these days. Congrats!
2006-08-21 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Great first race, especially considering the conditions!  I thought the water conditions were much worse when the women were starting than when the men started.  The transitions will get better with more practice!
2006-08-21 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Good race and way to go on the Run. The just get easier from here. (Note I didn't say quicker, just easier)

2006-08-21 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Congratulations on finishing your first race and having a good time doing it! Too bad the conditions weren't better, but nobody had an advantage there and this way when you do one with nice weather it will make it all the more enjoyable. Nice to meet you in transition too.
2006-08-21 1:22 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
WOO HOO!  Congratulations Laura!  Nice job on your first race.  there is no way it can rain at your next one  
2006-08-21 3:13 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice job Laura!  You did it!  And without a wetsuit.  You studette!  I would never think of it out there.  Glad you had a good race and want to do more.  Nice to meet you.
2006-08-21 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Great job!!  I couldn't imagine doing that without a wetsuit....not ideal conditions at all.   But you did it!!!  Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Sprint Triathlon - 1st Tri Rss Feed