Ironman Mexico
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 27m 44s
Overall Rank = 915/2293
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 40/100
Pre-race routine:

Banana and protein shake for breakfast. Couldn't get anything else down. Ate some Gu chews just before entering the swim. Drank one bottle of water. Light stretching.
Event warmup:

We were not allowed in the water to swim pre-race.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 38s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Left leg started cramping around the 2-mile mark, which really scared me. Couldn't get the cramp to let up so I had to float and stretch. May have been dehydrated??
What would you do differently?:

Drink more sports drink while in Mexico. Weather was warm and I avoid tap water for GI issues. I just didn't take in my usual amount of water.
Transition 1
  • 08m 19s
Comments:

Made a full change in case of chaffing from saltwater. Not sure I would do that again.
Bike
  • 7h 04m 3s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Very rough bike ride. Coming off of Ironman Florida on November 1 with little rest and then having to ship my bike on November 12 really hurt me. I was not in the same shape that I was before Florida and may have still been slightly fatigued. I was very unhappy with my bike performance, but it was just TOUGH out there.

Not much I could have done. I would NEVER do two Ironman events back-to-back in a regular situation. :)
Transition 2
  • 08m 1s
Comments:

I was shaky and felt completely exhausted. I took longer than I wanted and, again, made a full wardrobe change. I knew I had some tough miles ahead.
Run
  • 4h 48m 17s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m  min/mile
Comments:

Struggled about the same the entire course, so I guess I was consistent. Would try to get my pace up to 8:40-9 minute miles and just couldn't. UGH! Felt decent cardio-wise, but legs were just SHOT.

Not much...maybe try to drink more on the bike regardless of the wind.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs just were not ready for another race and that amount of down time. I think I will do better next time around.

Event comments:

This race was a little unorganized and getting to and from the registration area from the resort I stayed at was tricky at times. I was worn out by the time the gun went off. If I do this race again I will sign up earlier and stay closer to the race finish area, which is near registration/expo. The bike course was a little bit long, the swim started late, and there wasn't anything to eat after the race really.

Last updated: 2014-12-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:38 | 3800 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 50/100
Overall: 1252/2293
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca thin one-piece (no wetsuit)
Course: Leading up the event I was thinking we would be swimming WITH the current the entire swim course. However, the current changed shortly before the event and we were actually swimming against the current for the first 40-45 minutes.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:04:03 | 112 miles | 15.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 45/100
Overall: 1190/2293
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Gusts between 30-35 mph at times. Also, when it wasn't a headwind it was a strong crosswind. I would say 60% of the course was rough due to winds. Bike course was over a mile too long according to both my Garmin and my bike calculator??
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 08:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:48:17 | 26.2 miles | 11m  min/mile
Age Group: 40/100
Overall: 915/2293
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat with some slight inclines on each loop. 3 loop course was mentally challenging but crowd support and aid stations were good. Almost too good. ;) It was hot and humid, but certainly not terrible. As the sun went down it really cooled off. Wind calmed down after that, too.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-12-14 3:57 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Cozumel

2014-12-14 8:27 PM
in reply to: #5074516

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel

Congrats on a great run in the toughest of conditions.

2014-12-15 8:06 AM

Master
Northern IL

Nice going Jen! I've been seeing from some others that conditions out there were about as tough as they've ever been. On the bike especially, that was NOT an easy ride!

2014-12-15 9:20 AM

User image

Congrats on the finish. IMCZ was my first IM, and I applaud you for racing so quickly after the Florida Duathlon. I saw one of your posts on BT about doing IMCA after IMFL and I was curious if you signed up or not.

Not sure where you stayed, but my wife and I were at the Cozumel Palace...which was across the street from the Convention Center. Very convenient.

The wind was killer and my garmin showed 112.8 on the bike distance, so, you were not wrong.

Congrats again and hope you can enjoy some down time over the holidays.

2014-12-18 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats--I cannot IMAGINE doing two iron distance events in that time span! (I dithered for months about whether to enter a sprint the week after an international distance race.....clearly I'm a first-class wimp!) Something similar happened with my first HIM ( had to pull out of swim and bike was shortened to half the distance due to cold weather/snow at altitude), so understand the motivation to finish what one set out to do. But a HIM is a dfferent animal. I think you did a great job considering everythng--tough conditions, fatigue, race disorganization. The whole heat/developing country thing is a tough combo. Even not considering that, 13+ for a "first" IM is a result to be proud of!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Cozumel Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IronMan Cozumel

Started by bojitri
Views: 2526 Posts: 3

2009-12-22 9:17 PM TriPatrick

IronMan Cozumel

Started by cwsiii
Views: 3725 Posts: 4

2009-12-22 9:32 PM tjfry

IronMan Cozumel

Started by trishie
Views: 5513 Posts: 15

2010-01-12 9:00 PM carlwithac

IronMan Cozumel

Started by soares3711
Views: 3085 Posts: 6

2009-12-04 6:23 PM tebeal

IronMan Cozumel

Started by robin314159
Views: 5219 Posts: 16

2009-12-05 12:38 PM KSH
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 11, 2014
author : Tinamarie
comments : 5
Mother Nature continued to sing loud here in Cozumel, reminding us who was boss. This morning was no different, the wind howled in our ears, stung our eyes and the ocean slapped the shore with vigor.

date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.
date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.