Norman, Oklahoma
United States
Cleveland County Family YMCA
Total Time = 1h 18m 56s
Overall Rank = 59/235
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/23
Pre-race routine:

Stand around and talk to running buddies and friends. I hadn't been in a pool for about 5 years and figured it was best just to take the swim cold turkey
Event warmup:

I also hadn't been on a bike in years. I had to change out the peddles on the bike I borrowed since it was for clip in shoes and I didn't have any. I botched the peddle change out and one side would only screw half way in. It fell off the 3rd cranch comming out of the T! area. Running back to get a wrench and putting the pedal back on during the race cost me about 10 minutes. Other than that I wasn't to bad for never biking or swimming until I was in the race. I did have the 2nd fastest run of the day. My legs felt like jelly coming off the bike so I was sure that My run would be middle of the pack. I guess the guys that actually trainned for a Tri had jelly legs off the bike too. I learn a lot about the Sport and had fun. It will definatly help me with my 70.3 that I am now doing 7 years later.
Swim
  • 11m 23s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a lot side stoke.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I went in Cold Turkey and did the best that I could given my preparation.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s

Putting socks and shoes was slow. If I could go sockless and get elastic shoe laces I would have cut 30-40 seconds (but may have lost most of that on the run if I wasn't comfortable???)
Bike
  • 44m 4s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I was passing people two and three at a time like they were standing still. That $5000 bike I borrowed was nice.

There was no excuse for putting my bike in the transition zone with one pedal only 1/2 way screwed in. I should have got someone who knew how to work on bikes to help me with that.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

No having to change shoes made this quick. I don't know who I could have cut time.

Nothing...I was off the bike and on the road. I don't know how I could have been any quicker.
Run
  • 20m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m  min/km
Comments:

Out of the shoot two of my running buddies who were had already completed the race cheered me on. I would have taken the run easy if it wasn't for them. As it was I focused on form and keeping my feet moving. I felt so cramped up and jello legged that I didn't think my time would be anything special. I was running 18 flat 5K's so I wasn't excited about a 20:01 and figured I would be in the middle of the pack with the fast guys that had done training brick all beating me out, but I had the 2nd fasted run of the day so I was really happy with that.

I would have hustled a little at the end so that I could have gone under 20 minutes and so that I could have had the fastest run of the day.
Post race
Warm down:

I really don't remember. I probably did a lot of stretching because my legs were in knots. I got some photos with friends and enjoys my time with them because they were the reason I was at the race to begin with.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor body position on the front craw which lead to breathing problems forcing me to side stroke after 50 meters.

Bike failure

Leg cramping on the run and overall loss of confidance after the poor swim and lost time on the bike.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:23 | 500 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/23
Overall: 146/235
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Indoor pool snake swim with swimmer starting every 3-10 seconds
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:04 | 12 miles | 16.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/23
Overall: 168/235
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:01 | 05 kms | 04m  min/km
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 2/235
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-02-17 1:20 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Tie-Dye Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tie-Dye Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tie-Dye Tri

Started by ABuckAMile
Views: 1103 Posts: 1

2009-09-26 5:39 PM ABuckAMile

Tie-Dye Tri

Started by dww2
Views: 1283 Posts: 1

2008-09-21 1:35 PM dww2

Tie-Dye Tri

Started by firedog
Views: 1426 Posts: 2

2008-09-23 10:49 AM ray6foot7

Tie-Dye Tri

Started by dww2
Views: 1085 Posts: 1

2007-09-30 11:39 AM dww2

Tie-Dye-Tri

Started by outexan
Views: 1334 Posts: 1

2006-09-14 4:12 PM outexan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.