General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 12h 49m 23s
Overall Rank = 1209/
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 10/
Pre-race routine:

Usual - PB & Honey on wheat toast on drive to start. Water, gatorade and coffee (they were actually making fancy coffee drinks at the race start - I love Australia! I just had long black), GU right before swim start.
Event warmup:

Nothing, standing around trying to stay calm.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 22s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Happy with the swim, about what I expected from prior IM's, but this being the first ocean swim I was a bit unsure. Turned out to be just like any other swim, just saltier!

Rolling start, self seeding with 5-6 people let go every few seconds. Started somewhere in Wave 3 (1:08-1:20), by the time Becky & I got there everyone had already moved up in other groups so we just fell in place.

Best start ever, no thrashing or beating going on. Super shallow so walked until it was deep enough to swim. Everyone was super polite, anytime someone came up behind me and hit my legs, or bumped up against my side they immediately moved. That would never happen in the States, they just mow you over! I tried to find people to draft, but ended up mostly swimming on my own. Which was ok, I was relaxed and swam easy pace the whole time.

Got off course once, following others on the sunny swim back in, we all had to be directed back on course by a guy on a jet ski. Also almost missed one buoy, was on the wrong side and had to be directed back around (with a couple others, I was not alone there!) the other side.

Overall good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, just keep swimming throughout the year.
Transition 1
  • 07m 4s
Comments:

Took my time (clearly). We were not allowed to take wetsuits off until we got into the changing tent. Not sure why but I was concerned as I struggle getting it off over my feet. At other races the wetsuit strippers are my hero, and I always pick a strong muscular confident dude to help me. The woman helping me in the changing tent actually did quite well, it was off before I knew what was happening.

I had my tri bottoms & top under my wetsuit so no changing required. Wetsuit off, helmet, sunglasses, arm coolers, socks & shoes on, and I was on my way.

Pick up the pace a little
Bike
  • 5h 59m 35s
  • 180 kms
  • 30.03 km/hr
Comments:

Loved the bike - super fast course. There was headwind, but also tailwind. First out and back was mostly cross wind, second out the headwind was pretty strong, but that meant some tailwind on the way back.

Stuck to the plan, kept watts right where they needed to be. Felt like an easy training ride, never felt like I was pushing too hard.

I did stop 3-4 times to pee, which cost me a little time, but I couldn't convince myself to go on the bike.

Nothing, except continue training to increase power on the bike with same effort.
Transition 2
  • 04m 38s
Comments:

Handed bike off to volunteer (love that!), entered changing tent, changed bottoms, sock & shoes, visor, race belt, nutrition. Stopped to pee one more time.
Run
  • 5h 20m 44s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 07m 36s  min/km
Comments:

Started off feeling like a million bucks! Legs felt good (not like they had just ridden 112 miles), hip that was bothering me was ok, I was ready to run!

Plan was to run from aid station to aid station (about 1.5km between each station), and walk the aid stations. Was going great.....

for about 7-8 miles. Then my stomach started to protest. I held it off for a few more miles, but by ~11 miles it was pretty much done. Walked the rest.

15 miles is a long long way to walk, but I made the best of the situation. I cheered for the people out there (got strange looks, people were really quiet, not much talking and little to no words of encouragement from others racing??), and took in the scenery (first trip to Australia and it was beautiful).

All the spectators were awesome - so encouraging. I loved all the kids out there cheering and the "well done"s they kept saying.

As always, figure out why my stomach does not tolerate the run.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Feeling sick on the run, my legs were ready to run, but my stomach wanted no part of it.

Event comments:

I loved this race and would definitely do it again. We had a great trip and the race was a lot of fun. Very well organized, great swag - the usual medal but we also got a really nice beach towel instead of a hat which I never wear anyway. Highly recommend this race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-12-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:22 | 3800 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/
Overall: 1305/
Performance: Good
Suit: BlueSeventy Sleeveless
Course: One loop - out ~850 meters, back in ~550 meters, then ~1000 meters along the shore and back in.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:59:35 | 180 kms | 30.03 km/hr
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 1187/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 2 out and backs on Eastlink - turnaround was just after the really cool tunnel which we got to do twice! That tunnel was my favorite part of the bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:20:44 | 42.2 kms | 07m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 10/
Overall: 1209/
Performance:
Course: Point to point from Frankston to St Kilda, along coast but mostly on street that paralleled the ocean (not visible).
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-03-29 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

2015-03-30 12:29 AM
in reply to: #5104481

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Subject: RE: Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne
Wow! Great job, and great time! inspirational
2015-03-30 2:49 PM
in reply to: justinfss

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

Congrats on a great race! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself (other than the GI distress) and made the best of it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne

Started by lizwickham
Views: 1362 Posts: 2

2015-03-24 2:10 PM Sous

Started by stesmi
Views: 723 Posts: 1

2014-09-01 8:59 AM stesmi

Started by nigelw
Views: 2215 Posts: 4

2013-05-15 5:10 PM cottoneyes

Started by swiss tri
Views: 1974 Posts: 5

2012-04-03 8:33 PM swiss tri

Started by thecouch
Views: 1806 Posts: 9

2012-03-29 5:41 AM daisymouse
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : November 6, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 2
When the air horn went off, I did my best to simulate laps in the pool, but that dang panic came over me again, causing me to breaststroke until I could calm my breathing.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!

My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.
There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.