General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri life in Miami Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-04-28 9:33 AM

User image

Subject: Tri life in Miami
So, in 2 months I am making the move from the great white North to Miami because of boyfriend's job. As a triathlete of course my first question is what is the tri culture like in South Florida? Because of the climate I assume there is a fairly large tri community but any info on races (aside from IM and the Miami 70.3 that I signed up for almost immediately after we decided to move), coaches, clubs, gyms with awesome pools, good tri stores etc. would be crazy helpful. Thanks!

2015-04-28 10:35 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Subject: RE: Tri life in Miami
I'm in Miami. I'm happy to help. We have an active triathlon scene all year long. Our local race company Multirace (www.multirace.com) does a series of sprints all summer long on Key Biscayne called the trilogy ... even though there are actually four races.

You can't throw a swim cap in Miami without hitting a tri coach :-) Traffic in Miami is legendarily horrible so people tend to train close to their home bases. Do you know what part of Miami you plan to settle?
2015-04-28 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5111383

+1 on miamiamy's post. Multirace is a good outfit. Bear in mind they also run International distance races on the same days as the Sprints. Those are 0.5 mi swim, 25 mi bike and 6.2 mi run. Those are the ones I race. Not nearly the bells and whistles of pricier races, but good races nonetheless. So. Fla has a great tri scene in general, welcome!
2015-04-28 6:15 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
mtrunner6---IMO, IF possible, try to locate/live as close to Key Biscayne as possible. MANY people commute TO Key Biscayne to swim/bike/run train and race. People train there day and night EVERY day. Every day I went there I would get excited when I saw the packs of riders at 6am.
hope this helps
2015-04-28 7:36 PM
in reply to: spearit

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
I have a feeling the triathlon scene in Miami is amazing compared to Canada.. lol i wouldn't worry about it.
2015-04-29 9:29 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Miami
I live in Miami and triathlon season here can go all year long, if you wish, since we have great weather all year long (summer is too hot too train/race though, so you will get use to working out VERY early).

For swimming, there are many options from great Master programs, to gyms with pools, or ocean swim. Let me know if you need help on finding a pool (Master or gym), it will depend on where you live. For ocean swim, as other have mentioned, Key Biscayne is where most of us swim OW; you can do South Beach too, which is more like an ocean experience than KB (you are swimming in the Bay).

For biking, I recommend either Key Biscayne for shorter rides (20-30 miles). More than that distance, it gets a little bit boring looping around the Key, also, depending on what day of the week and time, traffic might be bad (3 cyclists have been killed in this area in the past years - it is not a dangerous place to ride, but there are definitively cars, some with drunk drivers coming back home after partying all night). If you want to go longer, you will most likely end up riding south towards Roberts, the Everglades, or the Keys. You will find minimal traffic going this route and you can ride easily 100+ miles.

For running, again, not sure where you will live, but there are PLENTY of options to run around here as well as running clubs. Take advantage of running to discover some places! Although check out first your route, so you don't go to some places you don't want to be at...

Let me know if you need anything else, but be sure the trilife here in Miami is pretty good!!

2015-04-29 10:19 AM
in reply to: #5111514

Summer is the best....and that's when the four-race series miamiamy and I are talking about. ..one race a month from June through September.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri life in Miami Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Miami Int'l Tri -Anyone raced this?

Started by mburkhart
Views: 449 Posts: 1

2007-11-07 3:41 PM mburkhart

Tri stores in Miami

Started by MexTri
Views: 1070 Posts: 3

2007-04-25 7:49 PM lobstergirl

Another first time tri-er... (Miami U Tri)

Started by Redline1
Views: 628 Posts: 3

2007-04-22 8:03 PM dnasty

Miami Sprint Tri May 15th

Started by djprogress
Views: 491 Posts: 1

2005-03-25 4:07 PM djprogress

Tri-America Miami - October 10

Started by ropkins
Views: 737 Posts: 19

2004-10-12 12:44 PM ropkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!

date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.
date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.

date : September 2, 2004
Sometimes life just isn’t fair! We all have situations come up from time to time that test our dedication to triathlon training.
comments : 1
I take for granted getting to train and how fortunate I am to have the health that I have. Life…it doesn’t seem fair and it’s not always fair.

I had a great experience being a volunteer, but used the time to educate myself on anything that could allow me to have a better race or pass something on to the readers at BT.