Jones Racing Company
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 54/252
Age Group = 25-49
Age Group Rank = 8/22
Pre-race routine:

I went to the Point the evening before with my wife for packet pickup. This was a huge deal. Besides getting a course preview of the bike and run course, found my transition area was just horrible. On the grass on a decline against a tree in pine straw. The Jones Crew (who were working super hard) quickly gave me a new number . That was huge.

Up at 6 out the door by 6:35 - on site by 7 or so. Got my chip and my mark up on the way TA. Setup TA and hit the bathroom (nicest bathrooms ever for a triathlon) . Did some activation. and started to work on my mental side. 4th race in 5 weeks. Was not sure what I had.
Event warmup:

Simple activation with some running. Did get a few strokes in the lake.
Swim
  • 10m 34s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

What a weird swim. Because the way the course was setup we had a series of sight buoys in the middle of the cove. Everyone went to the inside essentially cutting the course (quite legal as they were sight bouys). About 150 meters in I look over the the guy next to me is standing, so I did too. Very weird. The course veered out into the cove around one buoy and then essentially straight in.

My group (35 to 54 men) ws massive wave and it took a while to get sorted out plus the course - my swim time seems like it should be faster. Very first open water swim of the year
What would you do differently?:

Not sure - start in front maybe?
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Good time with the suit off; struggled with getting my helmet on

Transition 1 is becoming a sore spot
Bike
  • 37m
  • 13.25 miles
  • 21.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Really a good course with one exception; way back in turning onto Brawley from Chuckwood there was traffic stopped there and had to pass on the side of the road. Not sure it an be fixed.

I passed a few then got passed by three - hung with two them and was essentially drafting them - not sure how not too frankly. Great ride

New back wheel and felt pretty darn fast
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I took one shoe off but misjudged my speed so ended up with one shoe on the bike and one on my foot. Needs work
Run
  • 24m 13s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 50s  min/km
Comments:

PR for a 5k triathlon or not - solid effort - I was passed once and passed another - running has become a strength

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal (wow had no clue) water and checked results. Quickly realized no placing for me - not a shock. Hung around for a few minutes talking to some folks then headed out. Packed up and headed out when I passed the onsite chiropractor who was empty - in the wrong spot frankly. So got a decent stretch

What limited your ability to perform faster:

4th race in 5 weeks - second triathlon with two longer road races and I trained hard all week. I took the day before off. It's a sprint that should be enough.

Event comments:

First year for this race and it was great. It can be even better; it will get bigger. The swim course will get worked out - the limiting factor is the transition area space. Its's great place to race, relatively flat and a protected swim cove. I would love to run an olympic here.

Jones did their typical great job and the event and setting were great. I will come back if I can next year. Just plain fun race.

Last updated: 2015-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:34 | 750 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/22
Overall: 72/252
Performance: Below average
My Garmin says 715 yards and that was at the mat. The course was way off.
Suit: Setsuit
Course: Course started in a cove and dog legged to the left with two turn bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:00 | 13.25 miles | 21.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 41/252
Performance: Good
Average HR was 141
Wind: None
Course: go out do a loop and then come back past the club house and go do a different loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:13 | 05 kms | 04m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 76/252
Performance:
Had the run at 3.19 so a little long - PR for the the 5k (calculated at 23:30ish) 154 AVG HR 7:32 first mile 7:40 second mile 7:39 third mile
Course: out and back loop with rolling hills - total +30 foot gain start to finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-05-17 8:57 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Tri at The Trump
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri at The Trump Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Started by tribrz
Views: 1461 Posts: 1

2007-10-11 6:11 PM tribrz

Started by bootygirl
Views: 2145 Posts: 5

2007-10-13 12:49 PM Lara

Started by Kinesio
Views: 1169 Posts: 1

2007-10-08 9:40 AM Kinesio

Started by madkat
Views: 1758 Posts: 1

2007-10-06 5:59 PM madkat

Started by kirby
Views: 1831 Posts: 5

2006-10-04 7:42 PM ejc999
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.