General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dive-bombing bees on a bike ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-08-05 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Subject: Dive-bombing bees on a bike ride
I went for a 40 mile ride in VT over the weekend and for the first 20 miles or so, I swear I had bees dive-bombing my head. I could hear the buzz and "twack" as they hit my helmet. One smacked me right under the eye and apparently got me, because my eye is now hugely puffed up and I can see the spot where it stungme. I counted probably 10 "twacks" and not all together, so it's not like I was riding through an angry swarm of bugs or anything. I was almost relieved that the wind picked up for the second half, because that seemed to cut down on the insects.

The thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened to me. On many other rides closer to home (in NY) this happens to me. Even in vacation in VA, this has happened to me. Once, one flew directly into my eye. Fortunately, I blinked so it hit my eyelid but the contact blinded me for a minute - a little scary out on the road. And I probbaly ride between 15-17 MPH, on average, so it's not like I am totally sitting still on the bike

Does this happen to ANYone else? My hubby, who was on the ride with me thought I was making it up - until my eye totally puffed up. I should buy a new pair of sunglasses to protect my eyes... but I'm also afraid of them getting in my helmet. And it's really distracting when they hit - I don't like being stung!!

2015-08-05 12:09 PM
in reply to: rnihill

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Dive-bombing bees on a bike ride

We've had bad luck lately and my husband was stung once in the head and a few times in the torso on two recent rides.  I've gotten stung in my armpit and upper thigh.   I have never really encountered multiple bees like that, although regularly am deflecting all kind of bugs.  I love the big ones that seems to always hit my chest.  They are almost as bad as the gross swarms of gnats in places that you have to try to ride through with your mouth shut.    And then there are the bugs you don't notice, which are plastered to arms, legs, neck when you're done.

2015-08-05 2:03 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've been stung a couple of times by wasps that got in my helmet.  Definitely not a pleasant experience.

Just out of curiosity, were you wearing or carrying anything that might have attracted the bees?  Fragrance, bright colors, etc. ?  Most of my encounters have been random occurrences, not mass attacks.  

Mark

2015-08-05 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Rhoda one thing to watch out for are highly scented sun screen products. They will most definitely attract bees.

I have only had one problem with bees over the past few years. was riding down a rural road (read narrow and no shoulder) and a bee keeper was smoking out a hive right next to the road. I got as far to the other side as was possible and hit the pedals hard. I heard a lot of buzzing but managed to get by quickly unscathed.

2015-08-05 4:45 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
Albany, NY
I hadn't showered so I wasn't very fragrant... But I did have sunscreen on (and usually do) while my hubby did not. It's just normal sunscreen... but maybe that's it? I do wear brighter colors on the bike because I like to be seen... and I doubt hubby would every be caught in hot pink. So maybe that's it too...

Thanks!
2015-08-05 5:39 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Could be the color/design of your jersey. They can be attracted to floral colors and patterns. I did get dive-bombed and repeatedly stung while riding through a bunch of meadows in Provence. Mom (in a plain jersey) was not. Since then I haven't worn that particular jersey (a Pearl Izumi number with cherry blossom print) for "flowery" rides! Sunscreen might have scents that can attract them--the ones with zinc oxide or other mineral blocks don't seem to.

2015-08-05 6:17 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Sarasota, Florida
Bees no. Flying ants yeah. I went during the wrong time of the year and came home covered in smooshed ants all over from head to toe. It was pretty gross.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dive-bombing bees on a bike ride Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ride Story - Bee Flew In My Ear And Stung Me

Started by Hilltopper1972
Views: 2026 Posts: 11

2012-09-06 10:26 AM Hilltopper1972

LiveSTRONG Tuneup Ride: A Tale of Bees, Mountains and Sammiches

Started by FishrCutB8
Views: 495 Posts: 1

2009-08-17 4:23 AM FishrCutB8

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4825 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

bee sting on the bike

Started by jdotten
Views: 1293 Posts: 19

2009-07-02 10:16 PM NeilsWheel

Bikes and Bees

Started by execchef
Views: 1189 Posts: 16

2004-05-11 8:51 PM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!
date : September 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 1
Generally I bike for 1.5-2 hours, and by time I'm on my way home I'm shaky. When I get home I usually have a headache and am nauseated. What should I eat before or during my workout to prevent this?

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : December 27, 2004
author : Don Magie
Introduction to our new cycling writer, Don Magie.