of 6

2015-08-13 7:50 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Swim fitness or technique?
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by 3mar
Also, I don't remember ever getting instruction on form in high school. I didn't know the term "catch" or any other lingo until this board. We just did yards and yards. Maybe he worked with the people with atrocious form and I didn't see it, but I never remember insetting any instruction.

3mar, I m curious, what does your 100m all out time look like compared to the pace you can hold for a "long time" like a 1500m swim ? yards to 1650m is fine. Pool times, not OWS.

I am not really interested in what the kids are doing, more the adult swimmers.

I haven't done a time trial in quite a while on either, but I'm pretty sure I could go right around 1:00 for 100m / 55 for 100yd all out. The last time I did a time trial on the 1,500m in the pool it was 20:50, but again that was some time ago and I've seen improvements since. So that would be 1:23/100m.

If I'm doing 100 repeats, pushing but certainly not killing myself, I can maintain 1:20/100m or 1:12/100yd until I get bored.

Although these times are good in the AG triathlete world, I'd be MOP at best on an average High School team.

2015-08-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran

I haven't done a time trial in quite a while on either, but I'm pretty sure I could go right around 1:00 for 100m / 55 for 100yd all out. The last time I did a time trial on the 1,500m in the pool it was 20:50, but again that was some time ago and I've seen improvements since. So that would be 1:23/100m.

If I'm doing 100 repeats, pushing but certainly not killing myself, I can maintain 1:20/100m or 1:12/100yd until I get bored.

Although these times are good in the AG triathlete world, I'd be MOP at best on an average High School team.

But you are around the USMS national qualifying times http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats15/nqt.pdf

2015-08-13 8:57 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar I haven't done a time trial in quite a while on either, but I'm pretty sure I could go right around 1:00 for 100m / 55 for 100yd all out. The last time I did a time trial on the 1,500m in the pool it was 20:50, but again that was some time ago and I've seen improvements since. So that would be 1:23/100m. If I'm doing 100 repeats, pushing but certainly not killing myself, I can maintain 1:20/100m or 1:12/100yd until I get bored. Although these times are good in the AG triathlete world, I'd be MOP at best on an average High School team.
But you are around the USMS national qualifying times http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats15/nqt.pdf

Here are some Motivational times for a little wider look at things.

2015-08-13 9:10 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod You're falling into the false dichotomy - yes people need to learn to swim but then good technique will be reinforced by swimming. This is Joel's and Paulo's point - if you know how to swim, time in the pool, with good form, is required to become a better swimmer. Do distances that you can maintain good form, recover and repeat. Then, you'll build to the point that your fitness and technique will allow you to swim a longer distance with good form. More swimming and that would continue. They are not saying you should mindlessly thrash from end to end. Rather their comments are targeted at those who set out to drill almost exclusively and then wonder why their "great" form hasn't improved speed since they only done slow 50-100 drills for a big block of time. Instead, they're suggesting that doing something like 40x50 with a focus on swimming with good technique at a solid pace will be much more valuable. Shane
Well said I hope people will have the open mind to read and try and understand it.

That's all great in theory.....it only falls apart when you go to a local AG triathlon and realize that fully 75% of the people in the water don't have a friggin' clue what good swim form is or how it applies to their swimming.  You can keep an open mind and try to understand it all you want.......but in the end, most people who do triathlon are abysmal swimmers and the vast majority of them have no idea why.  Find a good coach and learn to swim.

2015-08-13 9:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by 3mar I haven't done a time trial in quite a while on either, but I'm pretty sure I could go right around 1:00 for 100m / 55 for 100yd all out. The last time I did a time trial on the 1,500m in the pool it was 20:50, but again that was some time ago and I've seen improvements since. So that would be 1:23/100m. If I'm doing 100 repeats, pushing but certainly not killing myself, I can maintain 1:20/100m or 1:12/100yd until I get bored. Although these times are good in the AG triathlete world, I'd be MOP at best on an average High School team.

I'm going to do a 100m and 50m time trial on Monday. I'm curious now.
2015-08-13 9:40 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Well I finally had a coach reply to an email so, I'm hoping to schedule my first session soon.
I'm curious what their feedback will be.

My stroke has greatly changed since I started, and it is much more efficient, getting me to point b quicker, but I still find it much more exhausting.

My mile run PR is 5:15 and am currently close to that, but even 400 yards of intervals in the pool at a slow pace, just trying to finish, leaves me dizzy, slightly incoherent and going further can give me severe leg cramping. It is far more difficult than running for me.

I have my doubts technique will save me from this, because on a calm day in the ocean I can swim until my arms get tired. Then going back to the pool I feel like my body is trying to free fall to the bottom, and 8 laps start to knock me out of breath before my arms even start to feel a burn.

It would be interesting to meet someone who is short and dense like me that finds swimming easy.

I still love swimming, but these intervals make me hurt. I'm looking forward to getting some quality time in with a coach to see comes of it.

2015-08-13 9:41 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by gsmacleod You're falling into the false dichotomy - yes people need to learn to swim but then good technique will be reinforced by swimming. This is Joel's and Paulo's point - if you know how to swim, time in the pool, with good form, is required to become a better swimmer. Do distances that you can maintain good form, recover and repeat. Then, you'll build to the point that your fitness and technique will allow you to swim a longer distance with good form. More swimming and that would continue. They are not saying you should mindlessly thrash from end to end. Rather their comments are targeted at those who set out to drill almost exclusively and then wonder why their "great" form hasn't improved speed since they only done slow 50-100 drills for a big block of time. Instead, they're suggesting that doing something like 40x50 with a focus on swimming with good technique at a solid pace will be much more valuable. Shane
Well said I hope people will have the open mind to read and try and understand it.

That's all great in theory.....it only falls apart when you go to a local AG triathlon and realize that fully 75% of the people in the water don't have a friggin' clue what good swim form is or how it applies to their swimming.  You can keep an open mind and try to understand it all you want.......but in the end, most people who do triathlon are abysmal swimmers and the vast majority of them have no idea why.  Find a good coach and learn to swim.

I agree with your observation that the majority of AG triathletes are abysmal swimmers, but that doesn't completely correlate with discussions here and on ST. IME talking to athletes, it seems as if the majority of those who struggle don't frequent boards like this, have never had any kind of athletic coaching beyond youth sports, and at best haphazardly follow a canned training plan with zero skills work in any of the 4 disciplines. Most people who take the initiative to post here are more open to suggestions and want to learn why things aren't working and fix it. Many of those fall into the group that Shane described - they've created this dichotomy of technique versus fitness for swimming and focused exclusively on technique.
2015-08-13 9:49 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

It's good in theory to say "find a good coach and learn to swim".  But, by your definition of what that would entail, there are simply a lot of triathletes for which that is neither practical nor desirable--requiring commitments of both substantial time and money.  Yes, they will always be "abysmal" swimmers.  But if they follow some of the good advice offered by others in this thread (or many others who have not posted here), they can at least move towards the lead of the "abysmal" pack--a reasonable goal for many.  Your advice is quite sound, however, for those with truly high performance aspirations.

2015-08-13 9:58 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TriMyBest

I agree with your observation that the majority of AG triathletes are abysmal swimmers, but that doesn't completely correlate with discussions here and on ST. IME talking to athletes, it seems as if the majority of those who struggle don't frequent boards like this, have never had any kind of athletic coaching beyond youth sports, and at best haphazardly follow a canned training plan with zero skills work in any of the 4 disciplines. Most people who take the initiative to post here are more open to suggestions and want to learn why things aren't working and fix it. Many of those fall into the group that Shane described - they've created this dichotomy of technique versus fitness for swimming and focused exclusively on technique.

Yep...and I believe, and so do coaches who have and do teach people to be very fast swimmers, that you have to start with building a basic foundation of swimming technique.  During that building of technique you will also gain swim fitness as you are now properly using the muscle groups that are used in good swimming technique. 

I know that many don't like the example but it really doesn't matter.  I watched a coach make a person who could swim 1:40/100 start completely over.  In the course of that training and 3 years time he was swimming sub :50/100......and sub 4:50 for 500.  There is no way in hell that would have happened by just swimming more. 

He learned to swim.

In the course of that time I have become involved in the program as an official and gotten to know the coaches and swimmers quite well.  I have watched them start from scratch with countless swimmers....yes, some very small kids, but also some fully grown kids.  And I think we've already established that it really isn't a function of age.......it's a function of being willing to take the time to do it right......which, in this case, means learning to swim.

I also understand that most people don't have the time to swim as much as some of these fast swimmers do.......but triathlon training is never an all or nothing deal for adults.  I will always resist the idea that what works for people with lots of time won't work on a smaller scale for people with less time.  Of course it will....the results just won't be as dramatic.

2015-08-13 10:10 AM

User image

Pro

Pssssst - I know you don't care about kid's times.....but I thought I should point out that the qualifying times for a 35-39 y/o male in the 100 and 500 free are also AAA times for a 12 year old boy.  Fast swimming is fast swimming.  Learning to swim is learning to swim.

2015-08-13 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

The problem with considering the entire field at a local race is that we then assume everyone wants to be as fast as possible and is there to compete and ignores that there are many reasons people do triathlons. For many, it's really a social thing and while they would be happy to be faster than last year, their training is really just being active not truly training in order to get better.

Shane

2015-08-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by Left Brain That's all great in theory.....it only falls apart when you go to a local AG triathlon and realize that fully 75% of the people in the water don't have a friggin' clue what good swim form is or how it applies to their swimming.  You can keep an open mind and try to understand it all you want.......but in the end, most people who do triathlon are abysmal swimmers and the vast majority of them have no idea why.  Find a good coach and learn to swim.
The problem with considering the entire field at a local race is that we then assume everyone wants to be as fast as possible and is there to compete and ignores that there are many reasons people do triathlons. For many, it's really a social thing and while they would be happy to be faster than last year, their training is really just being active not truly training in order to get better. Shane

Of course that's true......but there are just as many people who say, "man, if I could swim better I could be competitive"......those ARE the folks we are talking about, right?  Otherwise, yeah.......just swim on your back, blow some bubbles, and have a blast!!  I can relate to that.

2015-08-13 10:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I think swim is all about technique. I came to tri from running and can run forever , same with cycling, my fitness is good. but my swim is a mess and I'm super slow. I did one on one coaching and am about to join masters, my times exponentially increased (still slow ) when I started improving my technique. Technique allows me to cover more distance with less strokes, before I was just churning and hoping I was moving. Getting a coach was the best decision I have ever made as an adult onset swimmer. Having someone constantly look at you and adjust little things really does help.

Edited by amalgamate 2015-08-13 10:27 AM
2015-08-13 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Those are pretty cool.

There seems to be enough range in there that many people can map where they are,
2015-08-13 10:49 AM

User image

Pro

Those are pretty cool. There seems to be enough range in there that many people can map where they are,

You mean, like the kids do with the EXACT same information??    

2015-08-13 11:17 AM

Master
Northern IL

Those are pretty cool. There seems to be enough range in there that many people can map where they are,

I have used it as such. I think for many it will be eye opening just to reach the B standard. Some may think elitist to reach there, but I don't think it's necessarily *that* hard to do though it will take some work.

2015-08-13 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I have used it as such. I think for many it will be eye opening just to reach the B standard. Some may think elitist to reach there, but I don't think it's necessarily *that* hard to do though it will take some work.

A bit of context, at least based on the times in my AG, as approximations.  The X times are at the very top of winning nationals.  AAAA is top 10 at Nationals.  AAA is mid point of nationals competitors.  AA is nationals qualifying times.  A, BB, and B are tiers below that.

2015-08-13 1:30 PM

User image

Exton, PA

That would be interesting except those time listed are in SCY, so you may want to swim 100yards and 50 yards to compare yourself.

Also do you know how long your pool is? most people think they do but don't. You can't ask people at the front desk as they will usually tell you is an Olympic size pool which is almost never correct.

Even if they know if its yards or meters, I've seen a lot of pools that are either short or long.
From reading posts most people here believe they swim in a 25 meter pool, is that true? I know in PA and NJ the large majority of pools are 25 yards.

Also I assume that the times listed are from a diving block not pushing off the wall.
2015-08-13 1:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mike761

That would be interesting except those time listed are in SCY, so you may want to swim 100yards and 50 yards to compare yourself.

Also do you know how long your pool is? most people think they do but don't. You can't ask people at the front desk as they will usually tell you is an Olympic size pool which is almost never correct.

Even if they know if its yards or meters, I've seen a lot of pools that are either short or long.
From reading posts most people here believe they swim in a 25 meter pool, is that true? I know in PA and NJ the large majority of pools are 25 yards.

Also I assume that the times listed are from a diving block not pushing off the wall.

Here there are some in SCM and LCM although they seem to be a few years old
http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?15722-Masters-Motivational-Ti...
2015-08-13 1:46 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mike761

I know the lengths and I'm sure they're accurate. There are two pools near me that I swim at, and both are run by the same guy (an 6x olympic gold medalist) and both pools are regularly used for div 1 college and high school meets (most notably the Orange Bowl Classic each winter). The pool I frequent most often, because it is closer and the masters coach gets there earlier is a 25 meter short course pool, and technically I'm a member of that masters club (The Angry Beavers). The other pool in which John (the olympic guy) coaches is a bit farther and he gets there later so it cuts into my work day going there. But he gives REALLY REALLY good coaching, so I go there from time to time. That pool can be set up either 50 meter long course or a 25 yard short course. It's 50 meter long course M-T and 25 yard short course F-S. I'll be going to my home pool on Monday so I'll get my 50 and 100 meter times, however they are easy enough to convert. When I travel I can tell the length of the pool after swimming a lap.

Edit: all my previous TT have been off the wall. This time I plan on going off the blocks.

Edited by 3mar 2015-08-13 1:48 PM
2015-08-13 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Monday so I'll get my 50 and 100 meter times, however they are easy enough to convert.

here is LCM for 2015
http://forums.usms.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9615&d=143058691...

2015-08-13 2:04 PM
in reply to: Ridgelake

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Ridgelake

A bit of context, at least based on the times in my AG, as approximations.  The X times are at the very top of winning nationals.  AAAA is top 10 at Nationals.  AAA is mid point of nationals competitors.  AA is nationals qualifying times.  A, BB, and B are tiers below that.

They have an explanation at the bottom. The X might be newer? That one is the average of the previous 3 years 10th place time. The rest add a percentage to that time. Nationals qualifying times are close to, but may not quite match AA. More like between AA and AAA.

2015-08-13 2:08 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar Monday so I'll get my 50 and 100 meter times, however they are easy enough to convert.
here is LCM for 2015 http://forums.usms.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9615&d=14305...

The motivational times come from the respective meets of scy and LCM. Short course is more competitive, so they may not match up when put through a conversion.

2015-08-13 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Originally posted by Ridgelake

They have an explanation at the bottom. The X might be newer? That one is the average of the previous 3 years 10th place time. The rest add a percentage to that time. Nationals qualifying times are close to, but may not quite match AA. More like between AA and AAA.

I just looked closer.  The 50s and 100s are the AA times equaling the NQTs.  The 200s and longer are the AAA times equaling the NQTs.

Actually, having read the back of the teamunify.com link, X does equal the 3 year average of the 10th place time.  AAAA is X+5%, AAA is X+10%, AA is X+ 15%, A is X+20%, BB is X+25%, and B is X+30%

As it turns out, the formula for the NQTs with the sprints is X+15% and the distance events being X+10%. 

Edited by Ridgelake 2015-08-13 2:23 PM
2015-08-13 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Originally posted by 3mar Monday so I'll get my 50 and 100 meter times, however they are easy enough to convert.
here is LCM for 2015 http://forums.usms.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9615&d=14305...

The motivational times come from the respective meets of scy and LCM. Short course is more competitive, so they may not match up when put through a conversion.

There were about double the number of people at USMS SCY Nationals (~1800) this year versus the LCM Nationals (~900).

And yes, the times are from going off the blocks.  Not in-pool starts.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim fitness or technique? Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Subtle technique (not fitness) worth at least 5 sec/100yds

Started by yazmaster
Views: 1061 Posts: 3

2013-03-28 8:05 PM chrishatcher1138

Progress on roller technique - but alas, it's been only technique

Started by agarose2000
Views: 1128 Posts: 5

2010-12-31 4:12 AM DanielG

LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Bally's, Snap Fitness? Pages: 1 2

Started by vonschnapps
Views: 12514 Posts: 31

2015-02-17 8:18 PM Miles around Midtown

swimming technique/books about swimming

Started by ultrahip_00
Views: 952 Posts: 7

2007-07-09 4:03 PM agilis

Open Water Swimming -- Technique Questions

Started by Stacers
Views: 1707 Posts: 11

2004-02-24 3:52 PM infosteward
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2013
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
Much has changed in swimming over the past 30 years. I will summarize the most important changes in two categories; swim training and swimming technique. Both are critical to fast swimming.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : August 5, 2008
author : EnduRight
Do you do that same freestyle stroke over and over? Why triathletes can benefit from swimming other strokes besides freestyle.

date : May 19, 2008
author : EnduRight
comments : 1
Next time you reach for your pull buoy, think again. By creating dependency on a buoy, the athlete never learns how to correctly create a more efficient freestyle stroke through better body position.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : September 4, 2004
author : priscilla
Good swimming is relaxed swimming. Relaxed swimming depends on practicing the best techniques and the best body position.
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
Mental toughness is skill. You need to learn how to suffer. You practice perseverance everyday when you are out training in the bad weather, when you ride or run further than you have ever gone.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
My dog is an intelligent runner. She does a big stretch before she does anything. She starts out slowly and gradually builds up speed until we are running very fast.