General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nausea after Swim leg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-08 10:02 AM

Subject: Nausea after Swim leg
Hi guys,

I relatively new to triathlon and have been running into issues with nausea after the swim leg in the past two sprint triathlon's I've done. In both races, I had to stop on the bike portion and throw up on the side before continuing. So I go for the swim and during the swim I'm feeling pretty good and nausea isn't an issue but from the moment my feet hit the ground to go into T1, I feel so disoriented. I can't seem to get my balance right and when I get to my bag and bike to get my shoes on and what not, I have to really take my time to keep myself from falling over. When I get on the bike, the nausea gets really bad especially being in that position and in both races, I had to stop and puke. I would rather this not be a constant thing in races. Any ideas? I hear earplugs can be helpful and so I will try that but any other suggestions or ideas of what's causing this are very welcome.

Thanks so much guys!
Robby

2015-09-08 11:19 AM
in reply to: yayitsrobby

User image

Pineville, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Nausea after Swim leg
Definitely try ear plugs. One other thing that might be adding to the issue is if you breathe to only one side.

I did not breathe bilaterally in a race without ear plugs and I came very close to falling over when I stood to get out of the water. All that water flowing into one ear screwed up my equilibrium. It took me a second to straighten everything out, but since then I wear ear plugs and have not had an issue.

I never had issues with nausea, but water in one ear could be a major factor in what you are going through.
2015-09-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: roserc

User image

The earplugs worked for me.
2015-09-08 12:02 PM

User image

How is your breathing when you are in open water? I have found that if I panic and start to breath rapidly, I a) swallow water b) start to hiccup and sort of feel like I am going to vomit in the water (this happened in my first couple of OWS training sessions). Now, I make sure to give myself ample warm up time in the water on race day and I've altered my breathing pattern- bilateral, with breaths every 2 strokes. This has really helped me feel more in control in the water which, for me anyway, has translated into a smoother T1.
2015-09-08 12:22 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Swallowing dirty lake or ocean water can cause that, but because you say you feel "disoriented" once your feet hit land, I suspect the others are right about it being motion sickness.  Earplugs can help.  Another part of the solution can be ginger pills in the hours leading up to the swim.  They can be an excellent cure for motion sickness, and help settle a nauseous belly.  You may even find that a multi-faceted approach using earplugs and eating ginger is the most effective.

2015-09-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: roserc

This DEFINITELY makes sense! I tend to breathe on one side because I'm not 100% confident in bilateral breathing. I'll definitely try the earplugs and continue to work on my bilateral breathing. Thanks so much guys!

2015-09-09 9:34 AM

User image

Earplugs.

Before you go changing everything, just try earplugs.

2015-09-09 10:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
How often are you practicing getting straight up to transition into a bike or run immediately after a swim in practice as well, or at least getting as close to it as you can at the pool :p

Edited by dfquigley 2015-09-09 10:33 AM
2015-09-09 5:40 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Swallowing dirty lake or ocean water can cause that, but because you say you feel "disoriented" once your feet hit land, I suspect the others are right about it being motion sickness.  Earplugs can help.  Another part of the solution can be ginger pills in the hours leading up to the swim.  They can be an excellent cure for motion sickness, and help settle a nauseous belly.  You may even find that a multi-faceted approach using earplugs and eating ginger is the most effective.

I'll add peppermint to this as well. The ear plugs for me have always been a NECESSITY. So, if it's the issue, as others have said, they will help.
I do 90% ocean swims in training for much of spring summer and if I am out there long in waves I get a little of that feeling, but gulping AIR is a major factor, and much of that is mind control, staying calm and avoiding that as much as possible. Mass tri starts STILL make me do this even though the dang training I do in those waves is WAAAY tougher. Practice not swallowing air
2015-09-09 6:12 PM

User image

You have some good answers here. I would guess the puking is probably just from taking in water and air while you're swimming. Then you double over on the bike and it's uncomfortable and it needs to come out. No fun for sure. Obvious statement - try not to swallow too much water during the swim. If I turn to breathe and get a mouthful of water I spit it out under water and turn to take a breath on the other side.

fwiw - A lot of people are disoriented coming out of the swim. It's apparently the transition from a prone position to a standing position that does it. In my experience it's something you get acclimated to. Looking where you want to go and not down on the ground while you run helps.
2015-09-11 11:02 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by miamiamy You have some good answers here. I would guess the puking is probably just from taking in water and air while you're swimming. Then you double over on the bike and it's uncomfortable and it needs to come out. No fun for sure. Obvious statement - try not to swallow too much water during the swim. If I turn to breathe and get a mouthful of water I spit it out under water and turn to take a breath on the other side. fwiw - A lot of people are disoriented coming out of the swim. It's apparently the transition from a prone position to a standing position that does it. In my experience it's something you get acclimated to. Looking where you want to go and not down on the ground while you run helps.

Hopefully not sending the thread too far off in the weeds, but having had my heart rate skyrocket in T1 and into the the beginning of the bike leg in a couple of races, I thought I'd chime in. If my internet based self diagnosis is correct, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome seems to be what I experienced. Starting during the run into the transition area and about 5 minutes into the bike leg, my heart rate shot way up and then gradually settled back down to normal for my level of exertion. 

Not necessarily what the OP experienced from the sound of things, but something to consider if ear plugs, etc. don't help.

POTS Link

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nausea after Swim leg Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nausea while swimming

Started by NormaJean
Views: 3522 Posts: 9

2013-10-07 4:42 PM erik.norgaard

Nausea and feeling like I'm going to faint after a swim

Started by Megatron
Views: 19227 Posts: 20

2015-07-22 7:09 AM Guildfly51

Swimming nausea?

Started by and I ran
Views: 6715 Posts: 7

2010-05-06 10:02 AM DanielG

Ocean swims: swallowing salt water and combating nausea?

Started by ironman2284
Views: 4182 Posts: 5

2009-07-13 10:16 PM novas

Nausea after swimming

Started by runnerx
Views: 1654 Posts: 4

2004-06-21 8:26 PM pammy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?
date : November 12, 2008
I have a sore muscle or nerve on the front of my right leg, from above my knee to waist area, with most of the pain in the middle of my leg. After a run or long walk it starts getting sore.

date : October 20, 2008
author : mramazon
I started out swimming only 50 yards at a time. In the beginning I would swim with training paddles and a float between my legs. I struggled to stay on top of the water.
date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.

date : August 17, 2007
Athletic individuals in general are prone to upset of both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. We will discuss two of the most common gastrointestinal issues, reflux and diarrhea.
date : September 4, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Leg Extension-Machine strength exercise instruction with picture and video.