United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 24s
Overall Rank = 13/51
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Easiest pre-race routine ever! Slept in, and then drive the 3 minutes to the race site.
Event warmup:

A little swim to get acclimated and to check out the water entry/exit. Made note of a large concrete block holding down the carpet (don't step on that!).
Swim
  • 00m
  • 500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in wave one and recognized several fast people. I think there were about 20 in my wave. It was a wade start. At the horn, I took off and sprinted. I kept my head down and didn't sight...just swam straight. After the initial burst I looked up and saw the pack had spread out. I saw some ahead of me and just swam. I grabbed feet when I could to get a lift.

As I turned to the final stretch, I sighted more to and could see people exiting the water. I recognized a few jerseys exit about 30-40 seconds before I did.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The race was not chip timed, so I don't know my T1 time, but I know it was pretty quick. I saw 3-4 jerseys that exited the water ahead of me still in T1 when I left.

Nothing
Bike
  • 00m
  • 9 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

As I started on the bike, I was passed by 2 people who I know exited the water before me, but I passed in transition. One of them was a fluro kit and I followed him.

I settled in and road on Fluro kit guy for the first lap. I have seen him at other races and know that he's pretty decently fast (has been on the podium for AG). I also knew that at that point I was in the top 10 so I figured I had a good wheel to ride for a bit. After most of the lap, I decided I wanted to quicken the pace, but the course was not ideal for passing. Especially given my (probably) below average handling skills, I wanted to make sure I had a good opportunity. I'm just not super risky on the bike. As we neared the end of the lap, we approached the climb and I decided to wait to pass, since I figure his climbing skills are better than mine. After the hill, there is a descent into a curve, and then transition. After descending, we encounter traffic from later waves entering the bike course. After a mile or so, I made my move and passed (also go to yell some encouragement to my lovely wife, who was entering the bike course for her first lap). From this point, I powered ahead and tried to chase people down. I dropped one guy and just before the climb caught another guy (in a cycling kit). I made my pass and he got me back on the hill. As we entered transition, the guy I had chased down just stood there. That's when I realized that he was part of a team, and that he had no running to do. I was a little concerned that I may have hammered a bit too hard on the bike, but considering the short distance, I wanted to see what I could do.

I should have rode harder on the first lap, and also should have spun my legs out before entering T2.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Dismount went well and transition was pretty quick.

nothing
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

When I got off the bike, my legs felt a little dead. I knew that I had cooked them pretty good and also without any sort of taper, I wasn't feeling my freshest. A few faster runners passed me by and I just tried to control my breathing and run as well as I could.

As I approached the turnaround, I started seeing the leaders go by. A couple of the fastest guys in the city showed up and they were, predictably, in the lead. I started to count them to get a feel for my overall standing. I also watched to see if there was anyone I could run down....ha ha. Realistically, I wasn't running ANYONE down. My run game is far below what these guys are doing, so I just hoped to hold on. As I turned to the 2nd half of the run, I saw a lady behind me that was running pretty quick. I figured she would catch me and she did with about a half mile left. Overall, I think I entered the run 9th overall, and finished 13th. I'm actually fairly pleased with my run, as it was just near the capability that I run. I am making improvements in this, but it just takes time.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, I cooled off a bit and then walked back to the run course to watch for Jamie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not too much. It was a much faster field this year, and I had a pretty good race.

Event comments:

I love this little race. It's low key, has a cheap entry and is a very "neighborhood" event. It's not chip timed, which is a bit of a bummer, but it's a well kept secret tucked away in a beautiful setting.

Not USAT, transition is basically open in a patch of grass, but still a lot of fun.

Last updated: 2015-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/51
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A loop.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 09 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Wind:
Course: Two laps around the lake. It's mostly flat, pretty windy with one decent size hill at the end of each lap. Very scenic, and relatively fast, although it is open for traffic and has some curves that require some attention.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 kms |  min/km
Course: Out and back, mostly flat with a small rise.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-09-14 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: LQ Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LQ Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri, Girl, Tri (Formerly See Jane Tri)

Started by tribrz
Views: 1468 Posts: 1

2007-10-11 6:11 PM tribrz

Started by bootygirl
Views: 2147 Posts: 5

2007-10-13 12:49 PM Lara

Started by Kinesio
Views: 1171 Posts: 1

2007-10-08 9:40 AM Kinesio

Started by madkat
Views: 1759 Posts: 1

2007-10-06 5:59 PM madkat

Started by kirby
Views: 1833 Posts: 5

2006-10-04 7:42 PM ejc999
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.