Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-08-30 10:57 AM
in reply to: #526673

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Where you train...
Cando - 2006-08-30 10:20 AM

I've also discovered that there is a 6 mile measured running trail along the River Thames that passes my office - ok, that's too long for my lunch break but I might do it before work - it's flat and would take in all the sights - Tower Bridge, London Bridge (which is far from a 'sight' but what the hey), St Pauls, Big Ben, The Houses of Parliment et al - I might get up Friday morning and have a go (don't anyone go ruining it by mentioning Londons pollution!!

I'll see how many tourists photos I can get myself in by running behind the frame!

movie line:  "Hey kids, Big Ben, Parliament!"

Like a lot of people, I think you just need to learn more about where you live.  Get out there and enjoy it.  When I started this I never thought I'd run or bike outside in bad weather.  I found out that running in rain/snow/blizzards is my favorite part of this sport.  Get out of the gym, get the proper gear and train in the elements!  Is the problem really where you live, or that you train inside so much?  I'm guessing there is plenty of interesting scenery where you live, go out there and find it.

One thing I do while riding through a particularly boring stretch of cornfield is imagine when (not if) the camera crew comes to do my backstory for my Kona profile if they would want to use this stretch of road for filming where I train. 

\III/

2006-08-30 11:07 AM
in reply to: #526733

Extreme Veteran

I'm being slightly tongue in cheek about it (although I have googled "Crystal Lake" - looks nice!!) - I'm very appreciative and enthusiastic about being healthy, finding a new sport, interacting with new people and getting out there and doing it.

I am approaching the winter months with a bit of intrepidation and I do love the thought of training or even competing where some of you guys live but I know it's all good really.

I will run in bad weather (not least because I can't fricking avoid it of course) - it makes it harder and i think I must therefore be making bigger gains - I have a personal duel with the elements!

I'm a lucky chap I know that but I like a little grizzle every now and then (I hope that doesn't translate badly)

2006-08-30 11:15 AM
in reply to: #526468

Veteran
Denver
I'm very fortunate that I get to train in some beautiful areas. I do my OWS in Lake Washington, when I pick up my head I can see the snowcapped peaks of Mount Rainier rising 14,000 feet above. The possibilities fro bike rides are endless. The best I've ever done is taking my bike on a ferry out to some of the Islands never the Olympic peaks, it sure does make biking more fun.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d902b3127cce8b694452b4b90000...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d902b3127cce8b693ca4b4730000...

Edited by Novo 2006-08-30 11:15 AM
2006-08-30 11:20 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Training in Paradise here as well. I live about 10 miles north of San Francisco, CA....(Triathlete mag just named SF the second best tri town in the US)! My run is along a dirt trail that sits along the bay and it's flat. Also outside my door is a 9 mile loop of rolling hills, trees and views of the bay....the street is called Paradise Drive. There is a outdoor pool 3 miles from my house, heated year-round to 83-85 degrees. On the weekends, I drive to SF and swim in the bay....there is an area marked specifically for swimmers. A few weeks ago a seal joined me on my open water swim, freaked me out at first, but looking back it was kind of a cool experience. After my swim I run through the Presideo, used to be a military base.....tons of trees, wonderful views of the Golden Gate Bridge (when there's no fog) and the bay. The temperature here is pretty mild around 60s, we usually do not see rain at all May through October.

The bad is that we do have tons of traffic unless your are on a trail. Our winters include lots of rain, and of course sharks in the bay, but that's just an incentive to swim faster
2006-08-30 11:23 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

Birkie:

where are you in WI, and when can I come move in visit?  

2006-08-30 11:53 AM

User image

Master
La Crosse

Well, look, you may be suffering from a bit of grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side-of-the-Atlantic syndrome. There are certainly pros and cons to my own training situation, here in VERY rural Ohio.

First, the pros:

1. long, quiet, rural farm roads for running.

2. it's a half mile run down to the school track.

3. long, rolling, hilly farm roads for biking.

4. a small contingent of bikers and runners for group workouts.

5. less snow than northern continental US and CA, less oppressive heat and humidity as compared to Florida.

and now the cons:

1. it's a 1 hour drive to my LBS, one way. (that's at 'merikan highway speeds, 75-80 miles away)

2. there's isn't a 50 meter pool anywhere in the five surrounding counties

3. no decent sporting goods store (excluding hunting fishing camping stores) less than 1 hour away.

4. while there are plentiful OWS sites, they are all small reservoirs which look like farm ponds and (occasionally) taste faintly of cow. I did one tri this summer in GREEN water so murky you could not see your own hands, and two in BROWN water so murky you could not see your hands. Take your pick.

5. long rural roads mean the strong possibility of flatting or bonking far from help. You must take everything imaginable with you; there are no pay phones, no cell coverage, no gas stations, no helpful motorists, no witnesses, no cops.

6. The outdoor 30 meter pool just closed for the year. Yes, there's at least another month and a half that they could be open with fine weather for swimming. But the school-age kids just went back to school, and that's their only real source of revenue, so they're closed.

7. No one has ever heard of a master's swim group.

8. I know of no other triathletes in this county.

9. No one here has ever seen anyone wearing cycling shorts, let alone wearing tri shorts. They especially freak out when they see a man running by in tri shorts or a tri suit or other skimpy clothing. It brings out all kinds of freak-taunting and homophobic gay bashing instincts. That, coupled with a history of Klan activity in the area, makes me a fair bit nervous.

10. The indoor 25-meter 4-lane pool is unbelieveably old, cramped, dank and a bit dirty. It's depression-era construction, and shows it -- swimming seems to have been a faintly naughty, or at least shameful, act. There are no windows, no air ventilaiton, and really no shower facilities. It's like a pool in someone's dungeon. The tiles are nice, though.

11. The gym/workout facility available to me seems mired in the 1950s. Bench press? Yeah we have that. Core workout ball, pilates, resistance training, cardio? Never heard of 'em.

Okay, I'll stop now.

2006-08-30 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
You will totally hate me, because I live in the most ideal of all locations: San Diego I moved here from miserable Rochester, NY where I was 15lbs. heavier and totally lazy. Once I moved here I started training for marathons and now have added triathlons to the mix. I think now that I'm addicted, I could probably train anywhere, but I believe the location was the key to getting me started.

If I bike ride for 15minutes from my condo, I am at the pacific ocean. I can swim in either calm bay water or rough ocean water, and all of my long bikes and runs are along the coast. I coordinate my long weekend workouts with my boyfriend and friends to meet them at the beach to go surfing or play beach volleyball afterwards, or just lay out in the sand all day as post training recovery. There is a huge community of runners/cyclists and triathletes and everyone is very friendly and supportive. There are tons of races all year round and some of the best triathletes train here. The best part about it all is, my summer season goes till November, and I can train everyday outside the whole year round. To deal with the cons of traffic and costs, I bike to work everyday and my boyfriend and I only have 1 car.

I have to live it up while I can because there is no way I'll be able to buy a house here, so everyday that I'm out there training I have to enjoy it to the max. No bad days! Please don't hate me!
2006-08-30 12:28 PM
in reply to: #526720

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Cando - 2006-08-30 10:48 AM
Birkie runner - that is AWESOME.   And I'm English - we don't use "AWESOME" lightly. I don't even holiday in places as beautiful as that!!! 

Thanks, we love it here, but I'm sure that someone that lives in the Rockies or Sierras will post some training spot pics that make my neck of the woods look like downtown Minneapolis.
2006-08-30 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

Man, why did you have to bring this up? I am forced to train in the hell otherwise known as Hawaii.

This beach park is protected from waves by the large reef you see is 1000m in length providing a 2000m down and back. Its almost like swiming in a really large pool. The wind can whip up some chop from time to time and there is also the occassional threat of jellyfish. Other than that... the smell of tanning lotion can sometimes be nauseating to some.

This monster dominates my view during the return leg of my long runs. The road here gets kind of narrow from time to time and I am forced to keep a constant eye out so that I don't step on a mongoose darting across the road. Yes, we have mongoose (mongoose? mongooses? mongoosi?).

This is where furndog and I have been doing our swims lately. The horror is that once in a while a sea turtle will get in your way! And don't mention the waves and chop that can totally make concentration on form and technique nearly impossible. The AGONY! There is also a decent 3 and 8 mile running loop that we can start from here which travel past many homes with 7 figure price tags.

Here's an arial view of Diamond Head Crater. There is a park just to the left called Kapiolani Park. This is where they start the Honolulu Triathlon and the Honolulu Tinman. There is some really nice running routes here as well as some nice bike routes. That is... if you don't mind travelling through neighborhoods with homes that sell for 10's of millions of dollars! Just what I need! Another reminder that I am POOR! Thanks Hawaii for ruining my self esteem!

In all seriousness, Hawaii is a fantastic place to train. The only drawback is that I live on the island of Oahu (where Honolulu is) and we are getting more and more crowded. Biking can be dangerous at times and maybe even a bit monotonous since we are limited by the size of our island.

And sorry, I don't have any spare bedrooms.

2006-08-30 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
I live on a barrier island in Florida so I'm usually either running or biking in sight of a river or the ocean. So..... yeah, I guess I'm pretty spoiled. It is really, really hot and humid though!

Edited to add: Shaved Wookie's got me beat, though. DA-AMN!

Edited by TBZ 2006-08-30 12:33 PM
2006-08-30 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Let's see, here in Sarasota:

Pros:

• Gulf of Mexico five miles from my house for OWS & beach runs
  • Two (2) 50 meter pools within 10 minute drive
  • Biking routes along the barrier islands (Longboat, Siesta & Casey Keys)
  • Active local tri club sponsored by YMCA.
  • Several excellent local USAT coaches
  • Three excellent LBS's
  • Year 'round training weather.
  • Ironman Pro Heather Gollnick (who had the good sense to relocate from WI, unlike Possum)

Cons:

• Hurricanes
  • Red Tide
  • Alligators
  • Heat/Humidity 
  • Elderly drivers who mix up their gas & brake pedals on occasion. 
  • High bills for sunscreen.

Mark

2006-08-30 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

(cahas1.jpg)

(cahas4.jpg)

(cahas3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cahas1.jpg (14KB - 89 downloads)
cahas4.jpg (14KB - 36 downloads)
cahas3.jpg (16KB - 25 downloads)
2006-08-30 12:39 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

my slightly more serious reply is...

1. cando wow as to your possible run route! i visited london with uni mates a few years and we stayed near to parliament and it was amazing!

2. my running route is all urban but if i chose i have two lovely parks nearby; one even has a pond with boats and geese.

3. i live all of 5 minutes ride (if that) from a 12 mile off road disused railway track - perfect for rides and will be perfect for runs when i can run longer.

4. swimming facilities kick - moss side swimming pool has decent hours, costs max £1.70 to swim in and because i've been going there for ages i can get a lane put in if i ask nicely and its do-able. and i live about 10/15 minutes bike from the commonwealth games swimming pool - up to two 50m pools and i live about 5 mins walk from a pretty decent gym (at the manc city youth training ground).

kinda sums manchester up really - not much to look at but god its good!

pics one and two no longer have a footie ground in! and pic 4 is the bike route i use.

Edited by sappho96 2006-08-30 12:53 PM

(mr020_16.jpg)

(mr027_16.jpg)

(main-road-m8632.jpg)

(disused-railway-8642.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mr020_16.jpg (27KB - 28 downloads)
mr027_16.jpg (25KB - 15 downloads)
main-road-m8632.jpg (31KB - 35 downloads)
disused-railway-8642.jpg (98KB - 28 downloads)
2006-08-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: #526841

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Birkierunner - 2006-08-30 12:28 PM

Cando - 2006-08-30 10:48 AM
Birkie runner - that is AWESOME.   And I'm English - we don't use "AWESOME" lightly. I don't even holiday in places as beautiful as that!!! 

Thanks, we love it here, but I'm sure that someone that lives in the Rockies or Sierras will post some training spot pics

or Hawaii !!!! (but Wookie, the pics aren't showing up on my screen)
2006-08-30 12:50 PM

Extreme Veteran

I've just been showing my wife this thread and she's virtually ready to pack her bags!!  The Shaved Wookie has, I suspect, thrown down the trump card.  Surely no ones going to a 1,000 yard outdoor pool!!!  Jazz50210 (or something) has also turned me a darker shade of green (in a good way).

I'm about to go and drag my exercise bike out the garage, into the front room, put some towels down and see what I can find on the telly to watch for 90 minutes whilst my legs go to work. 

Then I'm going to cool down by chilling out on a beach by the pacific ocean with my mates watching the world go by soaking my bones in a luke warm bath because all the hot water would have been used up by my girls in pre bedtime baths.....

2006-08-30 12:54 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

and this is my local park and it also shows my gym...cannot get the picture small enough - grrr!

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/gallery/v/suburban-manchester/platt-fields-mg8643.jpg.html?g2_GALLERYSID=95091bbd0d93857106f71fc8aeefacfc

if you really want to see!

Edited by sappho96 2006-08-30 1:01 PM

2006-08-30 1:35 PM
in reply to: #526845

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Shaved_Wookie - 2006-08-30 12:29 PM

Man, why did you have to bring this up? I am forced to train in the hell otherwise known as Hawaii.

And sorry, I don't have any spare bedrooms.

That's right, he doesn't have any spare room cuz he already promised me a room. 

<<rummaging around old inspires and pm's>>

It's here somewhere!  I know it!

<<rummage, rummage>>

2006-08-30 1:59 PM
in reply to: #526838

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

jazz82482 - 2006-08-30 1:26 PM You will totally hate me, because I live in the most ideal of all locations: San Diego I moved here from miserable Rochester, NY where I was 15lbs. heavier and totally lazy. Once I moved here I started training for marathons and now have added triathlons to the mix. I think now that I'm addicted, I could probably train anywhere, but I believe the location was the key to getting me started. If I bike ride for 15minutes from my condo, I am at the pacific ocean. I can swim in either calm bay water or rough ocean water, and all of my long bikes and runs are along the coast. I coordinate my long weekend workouts with my boyfriend and friends to meet them at the beach to go surfing or play beach volleyball afterwards, or just lay out in the sand all day as post training recovery. There is a huge community of runners/cyclists and triathletes and everyone is very friendly and supportive. There are tons of races all year round and some of the best triathletes train here. The best part about it all is, my summer season goes till November, and I can train everyday outside the whole year round. To deal with the cons of traffic and costs, I bike to work everyday and my boyfriend and I only have 1 car. I have to live it up while I can because there is no way I'll be able to buy a house here, so everyday that I'm out there training I have to enjoy it to the max. No bad days! Please don't hate me!

Rochester, NY.....I can see why you don't want everyone to hate you.  I live 20 miles east of Buffalo, NY so I can see why you love San Francisco.  I've never been there but it can't be that bad since Triathlete magazine rated it very high in this month's issue as best tri towns.  I am not in SF but I make due with what I have.  Besides running on new fresh snow first thing in the a.m. is pretty cool.  Like you said, live it up and enjoy...and no we don't hate you. 

2006-08-30 2:37 PM

Extreme Veteran

jazz82482 - 2006-08-30 6:26 PM You will totally hate me, because I live in the most ideal of all locations: San Diego I moved here from miserable Rochester, NY where I was 15lbs. heavier and totally lazy. Once I moved here I started training for marathons and now have added triathlons to the mix. I think now that I'm addicted, I could probably train anywhere, but I believe the location was the key to getting me started. If I bike ride for 15minutes from my condo, I am at the pacific ocean. I can swim in either calm bay water or rough ocean water, and all of my long bikes and runs are along the coast. I coordinate my long weekend workouts with my boyfriend and friends to meet them at the beach to go surfing or play beach volleyball afterwards, or just lay out in the sand all day as post training recovery. There is a huge community of runners/cyclists and triathletes and everyone is very friendly and supportive. There are tons of races all year round and some of the best triathletes train here. The best part about it all is, my summer season goes till November, and I can train everyday outside the whole year round. To deal with the cons of traffic and costs, I bike to work everyday and my boyfriend and I only have 1 car. I have to live it up while I can because there is no way I'll be able to buy a house here, so everyday that I'm out there training I have to enjoy it to the max. No bad days! Please don't hate me!

I won't hate you on the basis that Anchorman had me in absolute stictches and that line from the film pops into my head everytime someone says the words "San Diego"  hahaha

In fact, i'm going to watch it whilst I cycle [cycled currently scheduled in for 20 minutes time]

2006-08-30 3:13 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio

jazz82482 - 2006-08-30 1:26 PM You will totally hate me, because I live in the most ideal of all locations: San Diego I moved here from miserable Rochester, NY where I was 15lbs. heavier and totally lazy. Once I moved here I started training for marathons and now have added triathlons to the mix. I think now that I'm addicted, I could probably train anywhere, but I believe the location was the key to getting me started. If I bike ride for 15minutes from my condo, I am at the pacific ocean. I can swim in either calm bay water or rough ocean water, and all of my long bikes and runs are along the coast. I coordinate my long weekend workouts with my boyfriend and friends to meet them at the beach to go surfing or play beach volleyball afterwards, or just lay out in the sand all day as post training recovery. There is a huge community of runners/cyclists and triathletes and everyone is very friendly and supportive. There are tons of races all year round and some of the best triathletes train here. The best part about it all is, my summer season goes till November, and I can train everyday outside the whole year round. To deal with the cons of traffic and costs, I bike to work everyday and my boyfriend and I only have 1 car. I have to live it up while I can because there is no way I'll be able to buy a house here, so everyday that I'm out there training I have to enjoy it to the max. No bad days! Please don't hate me!

Oy! So incredibly jealous. I love San Diego.  Definitely live it up while you can.  

Sometimes I wish I would see some mountains or a lake instead of the tall buildings and all the cement.

I live in Brooklyn, which is a pretty urban area, about 20 minute run to Manhattan, usually over the Brooklyn Bridge.  Running, I usually Run in Prospect Park, Central Park or in the neighborhood.  Biking is usually loops in Prospect Park since I'm worried about getting hit by those cabbies or busting a flat on the potholes.   Also, I prefer the park to get away from all the exhaust fumes from the cars.  Swimming?!?  When I can I try to go to the NYC Pools.  Other pools charge $10 each time and they're not even that big.  Maybe 25 yards if that.  One gym has a pool thats 14 yards.  I guess the price of living in the city. 

2006-08-30 3:40 PM

London

Damn, Wookie, you've done well there!

Cando, you've got to appreciate what you've got on your doorstep.  In London there are hundreds of pools (though only 2 50m pools, and no OWS lakes but never mind) and lots of cool places to ride & run.  I don't know too much about the east side, but on the west we've got Surrey, Sussex & Berkshire.  There's also the rapidly expanding national cycle routes.

2006-08-30 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks for not hating I think wookie totally has me beat! Cando and Jen, you guys win on area culture, however. I think the sun and surfer-dude attitude has a negative impact on what there is to do besides train or go out to bars compared to NYC or London. Not that I have anything to complain about, just sayin....
2006-08-30 5:31 PM
in reply to: #527132

User image

Master
brummie land
Gordon Gekko - 2006-08-30 9:40 PM

Damn, Wookie, you've done well there!

Cando, you've got to appreciate what you've got on your doorstep.  In London there are hundreds of pools (though only 2 50m pools, and no OWS lakes but never mind) and lots of cool places to ride & run.  I don't know too much about the east side, but on the west we've got Surrey, Sussex & Berkshire.  There's also the rapidly expanding national cycle routes.

my ex swims at hamstead heath i think. she lives up nw10 i think. mmm not sure but she deffo mentioned ows in london.

btw why is no-one jealous of my views?

Edited by sappho96 2006-08-30 5:35 PM
2006-08-30 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Southern California is beautiful place to trasin. Never saw as much as I see while I run and bike

(venice_01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
venice_01.jpg (12KB - 32 downloads)
2006-08-30 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Sydney, Australia?

- 3x50m pools (two outdoor) within City centre
- Local park has perfect 5km loop for cycling / running etc, together with selection of hills
- 10mins run to the beach (Bondi if you must ;-) ) for ocean swimming
- Great 10km harbour foreshore run from my office, past Opera house, round the bay with the Harbour Bridge on the far side
- Lots of great tri clubs and training groups

One problem....

If you can believe it there are NO tris longer than a sprint within 1-2hrs drive!!!!!!!

OK, maybe two...

Local drivers are SHOCKING and there is a shortage of great cycle rides <75-80kms as the City is quite low rise and therefore sprawls quite a distance.

Edited by AusVirgin 2006-08-30 6:48 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where you train... Rss Feed  

of 3