General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where you train... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-08-30 6:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Where you train...

Having been a lurker on this forum for a while and and active user of it's training plans for just a few weeks I have to get something off my chest.

I live in a suburb near London and all my training is done in a school (running track and pool) and on spin bikes in a gym or my front room.  I've developed a slightly odd habit of clicking on peoples training logs if I like their post to see how hard they work.  I am becoming INSANELY jealous of some of the environments you guys get to train in.

Blogs like "cycled along a 50 mile flat road, cool breeze off the sea and no cars"" and "took a dip in Lake Michigan" etc etc are driving me mental.  I'm finding that I'm actually starting to imagine myself in these places whilst I jog in the dark, windy drizzle London provides and it's not even winter yet!!

I know the training hurts the same - that's my only consolation. 

So come on, either make me feel better (tell me the hell holes you train in) or, worse (more tales of training paradise).

2006-08-30 6:49 AM
in reply to: #526468

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Where you train...

I bet everyone has good and bad in where they train.  I live in a flat rural county so I have miles and miles of lightly traveled roads that go by scenic farmland to train on.  That's good for biking and running.

There are two bad things.  One is almost making me think about quitting triathlons and the other is managable.

The bad is the pool.  There is one 25y 4 lane pool at the YMCA in our county.  It's a 15 mile drive one way.  The hours are horrible.  There is only one day with hours I can regularly make the lap swim.  There are two other days that have lap swim hours I can sometimes make.  No hours on Sunday.  One lap swim at 8am Saturday (I work at 8:30 on many Saturdays).  The weekday lap swims are at 7am, noon and 5pm.  Hard to make the 20 min (one way) drive to the pool when I work 8am-5pm.  There is a short 45 min evening swim with one lane open two evenings sometimes.  I hate it!  The next closest pool is a 40 minute (one way) trip away.  Just to make the 30 mile roundtrip drive to the close pool costs me $4 in gas every time.

The managable is the weather.  100+ inches of snow per year.  Rural county.  Not very good snow removal.  No sidewalks.  Really limits running and biking outdoors in the winter, but at least there are other options.

I too get jealous when reading other blogs about all the time people spend in the pool.  But you take the good with the bad and do what you can do.

2006-08-30 6:54 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

cando i live in manchester, near moss side. nuff said about how lovely my training environment is

welcome to bt fellow england based person.

2006-08-30 7:05 AM
in reply to: #526480

Extreme Veteran

I've been to Manchester a few times to watch West Ham play either of the two big boys and drove through Moss Side once (according to the cab driver).  I hear what you're saying although I guess it must keep your running faster!

And Drdi - that's abysmal on your county's part - I thought England had appalling swimming facilities (ok, I know we do) but not to have one nearby with reasonable opening hours is bad news - is there anyone you can lobby?

(Ps, Sappho, I'm guessing by the badge and Shankly quote that you're a mickey mouser - I was at Cardiff last May and now own a shirt that reads "Steven Gerrard ruined my life" - what a roller coaster of a day!)

2006-08-30 7:16 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Yeah, I too mostly train in gyms. And it's controlled more so than outside -- i.e. in my head in terms of pushing harder etc..

When I get out on a road bike ride --it's mostly flat suburban to rural type roads. Cows may be seen and maybe a lake too, and some areas have bike paths YAY!

I don't like riding on my road bike in high traffic areas. (I'd rather be on my hybred and not trying for speed).
I really need to use the lake nearby as an OWS place to train. And I don't run far enough to really warrant much at this point. Plus I'm still nursing an achilles injury.

Anyhow...yeah, some folks ride or swim in great places.
2006-08-30 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
I can't complain. Living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, I've got plenty of scenic roads to ride on. I mostly ride out in the country where there are farms and the occasional golf course, but I can drive 15-20 minutes and really have beautiful locales. In fact I am considering a group ride up the base of a mountain to a nice little bakery and back down in a few weeks. I think it's affectionally called the "bakery ride" and it's one of Hincappie's favorites.

I mostly run in neighborhoods around mine, but I do sometimes ride out to Furman University to run with great views of Paris Mountain, a nice little pond, and not a lot of traffic. College kids tend to sleep in on the weekend... perfect running time.

I have 2 fairly big lakes that I can do open water swims in that are about 45 min away. I also have a city pool that charges $2 per swim that is 10 min from my work, my YMCA that is 10 min from my work (but 20 min from home) and they have both long and short course laps. (alternating in the year). I've got pools closer to home, but these close to work are better for me in terms of my schedule.

Oh, I've also got a pool in the back yard but it's pretty small, so I mainly just practice flip turns and kicking drills.

The weather here is hot hot hot in the summer. Fairly high humidity, but if you train in the early morning it's not so bad. We only get 1-2 snows/ice per year, and it doesn't usually last more than a day or two, so we're good there.

I love upstate SC! Now if we can only do something about it getting dark early in the winter...

2006-08-30 7:33 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I only run outdoors, I hate running on the treadmill ........ but my local area is all lightly rolling terrain, so I rarely get a nice flat run or ride in.

I'll ride about a 50/50 mix of indoor and outdoor. Indoor is on my own personal mag. trainer on either the tri bike or the road bike, depending on time of year and proximity to my race schedule.

I swim pretty much only in a local indoor pool facility, but I really need to fins some place to do open water swims to get more practice in.

You make do with what you have. I hate running indoors so I'll run in all weather conditions all year round outside.
2006-08-30 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY
Cando - 2006-08-30 7:30 AM

Having been a lurker on this forum for a while and and active user of it's training plans for just a few weeks I have to get something off my chest.

I live in a suburb near London and all my training is done in a school (running track and pool) and on spin bikes in a gym or my front room.  I've developed a slightly odd habit of clicking on peoples training logs if I like their post to see how hard they work.  I am becoming INSANELY jealous of some of the environments you guys get to train in.

Blogs like "cycled along a 50 mile flat road, cool breeze off the sea and no cars"" and "took a dip in Lake Michigan" etc etc are driving me mental.  I'm finding that I'm actually starting to imagine myself in these places whilst I jog in the dark, windy drizzle London provides and it's not even winter yet!!

I know the training hurts the same - that's my only consolation. 

So come on, either make me feel better (tell me the hell holes you train in) or, worse (more tales of training paradise).

I will agree, some triathletes get to train in some glorious locations.  I don't have it too bad part of the year.  During the summer months my location offers some decent variety for running and riding plus I have access to two of the five great lakes (Erie and Ontario).  Now if only I could find a swim buddy so I can get in the OW more often.  My training is a mix.  I try to run outside as often as possible because the treadmill is just so boring.   Biking for me is about 60/40 indoor to outdoor.  I just go a fluid trainer so I can ride early in the morning when it is dark outside in the safety of my basement, but I try to get out on the weekends when there is more light (hate it when the days get shorter).  My swims are all done in a pool.  I have access to two locations that are close to work and home.   I just have to make do with what is available to me.

2006-08-30 8:28 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Heh, I wish I had had my bike in Belfast...the running was amazing. There's this great trail that goes from Belfast city centre all the way to Larne, and follows the lough the whole way. It was always beautiful. Now I'm relegated to non-sidewalk roads and some insane hills. And I can only imagine my intended move to Glasgow won't be any easier on the hill side of things (just imagine San Francisco, only with more rain, better curry, and driving on the other side of the road).

Edited by phoenixazul 2006-08-30 8:28 AM
2006-08-30 8:29 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Don't I know it! Madison WI is a 4 season endurance sport mecca. I love it here, I will never live anywhere else. Except maybe Burlington, VT....
2006-08-30 8:49 AM

User image

Regular
Cedar Rapids, IA

Iowa is ok for training.. lots of country roads to bike on, and if you call cornfields scenic you are in business.

The pig farms are encouragement to ride faster.  "Just up over this hill and I'll be out of the stench zone!"  Something about huffing in giant gasps of pig-farm air makes you want to get out of the area.. right into the next pig farm.  Pigs and corn, that's Iowa for ya.

I have a beautiful park just a couple blocks from my house which has a 2 mile loop.  It's always full of geese and ducks with very little traffic and has some beautiful water.  In the morning it's always amazing.

The one downside to Iowa is that the water quality here is terrible.  OWS is almost out of the question.  I have a friend who is a limnologist and she will not let her dogs swim in this state.  She is from Wisconsin - I'm jealous of their lakes!!  People actually complain about getting sick from the OWS in Iowa triathlons.  I swim at the gym.. which if you read my blog, doesn't seem a whole lot cleaner...

2006-08-30 8:51 AM
in reply to: #526538

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

possum - 2006-08-30 8:29 AM Don't I know it! Madison WI is a 4 season endurance sport mecca. I love it here, I will never live anywhere else. Except maybe Burlington, VT....

Minneapolis is much the same way.  I've got access to more pools than I know what to do with, hundreds of miles of paved trails almost literally out my front door, and OWS opportunities within a couple miles of my house.  Only 10 minutes drive takes me to a wonderful circuit of wood chip/dirt trails and some naaaaasty hills (see yesterday's log).  I also run in almost all weather conditions but those below zero (farenhiet) days are too much for me so I hit the indoor track.  Winter riding is on the trainer in the basement or dodging the ice on my MTB.  

Regardless of your circumstances, however, its all about how much you want it.     

2006-08-30 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Most of my running is on city/park streets. I can pick and choose whether to run a flat course or hills. Biking means either riding through town for a flat course (with lots of stop and go) or heading out of town with lots of hills (mostly 50-100' climbs). I swim at an indoor pool.

As for weather, typical midwest 4-season. I'll run outside (no treadmill) but biking had to wait for clear weather (I've now got a trainer, but haven't used it yet).

Don't get too envious of those gorgeous training locations. I have a friend who lived 1/2 mile from the beach in Florida, and he hadn't been to it in the 18 months before we visited. Too hot, too cold, too busy...?!?!?
2006-08-30 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
There is good and bad to training anywhere (except maybe San Diego, I lived there for a year and it was near perfect!). I live near Phoenix Arizona. You can easily train year round here. Our "winters" are beautiful. I live in a neighborhood with a community pool, great trails and bike lanes. So, I really have no excuse when it comes to training. The only bad part is the summer can be 110 degrees or above. I usually have to get up at 5am to run or ride, it can be over 100 degrees by 8am in July! I also love hearing about where other people train.
2006-08-30 9:05 AM

User image

I must admit, I'm horribly spoiled.  Sorry.. another tale of training paradise here...

I swim in a pool located a half block from where I work, which has convenient lunch hour swim times.  I live within a 15-20 min drive from two lakes which are perfect for open water swimming. 

I bike along local roads in my neighbourhood, which features a seaside bike route that goes for over 30km each way.  The city also offers 120km of dedicated commuter bike trails.

I run throughout my neighbourhood, which often takes me through parks or along the ocean.

And the weather on Vancouver Island is incredible - especially for Canada.  I can train outside year round, because we don't get snow here.

2006-08-30 9:14 AM

User image

Milpitas, CA
well to make you feel better, most of my training is confined to gym ;-) except for the weekend ..

2006-08-30 9:28 AM
in reply to: #526588

Extreme Veteran

Some of these places sound glorious - I think it might be time to bring up the subject of where we want to set up the family home with Mrs Cando again !!

2006-08-30 10:00 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I'm not sure what the problem is.  Sometimes when I'm out running I fantasize that I'm on a track just outside of London.

2006-08-30 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
I train in a dark pool at the gym. It really sucks. Kids playing in the lanes, its crowded and you have to wait to get a lane, and it is dirty! YUCK!

I like to run outdoors. And I can get in my car and drive somewhere to run. But I'd rather walk out my door and run which means traffic and car exhaust as Los Angeles is FILLED WITH SMOG!!! So that's where I run - in the smog.

Then there's the bike. I can't stand my bike trainer. And I'm not willing to risk my life on the roads. So I bike once a week if that at the Rose Bowl where I drive to. Its a 5K mile loop so in order to do like 30 miles I have to ride it 10 times with no real interesting views to take in - except some hot girls BUT I'M MARRIED so I focus on the road. BORING!!!

So there.
2006-08-30 10:20 AM

Extreme Veteran

Purely in the interests of research (I'm not stalking anyone) I've been "googling" the towns where some of you lot live (ok, I'm not that busy) and I've realised I need to get out more and spread my clipped wings.  For comparison purposes I did the same for where I live (Brentwood, Essex) only to discover the place was voted The Most Boring Town in Britain during the '90s.  I wish I hadn't have looked!!!

On a brighter note the 2012 Olympic mountain bike event is being held in our local park so that's pretty cool. 

I've also discovered that there is a 6 mile measured running trail along the River Thames that passes my office - ok, that's too long for my lunch break but I might do it before work - it's flat and would take in all the sights - Tower Bridge, London Bridge (which is far from a 'sight' but what the hey), St Pauls, Big Ben, The Houses of Parliment et al - I might get up Friday morning and have a go (don't anyone go ruining it by mentioning Londons pollution!!

I'll see how many tourists photos I can get myself in by running behind the frame!

2006-08-30 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Another BT'er from AZ.

The Good: Beautiful year-round cycling. In Tucson, there are many miles of dedicated bike lanes throughout the city/suburbs in additional to routes along the perimeter of the city that have little traffic and routes that can be tailored to any skill level of rider. Rides are very scenic with desert landscape. Often times when I head out I'll come across coyotes, havelina, and occasionally rattlesnakes. Running: my run training is done on city streets around my community, very well maintained sidewalks. Swimming: Many local indoor/outdoor pools available.

The Bad: Summer training must be done very early morning or in the early evening. Temps get to be in high 90's low 100's throughout most of summer. No access to OWS, here in Tucson, i'm not aware of any within ~100 miles, therefore all swim training done in pools. Actually, all sprint races here in Tucson are pool swims!

2006-08-30 10:21 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
sorry

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-08-30 10:29 AM
2006-08-30 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
This afternoon I'm doing a long OWS in this lake...

And this overlook of the St. Croix River is along one of our long run routes.....

Other than that, a lot of rural country roads with lots of rollers, steep hills, and tons of cows... right outside our front door.............

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-08-30 10:37 AM

(PerchLakeView.jpg)

(anglerock.jpg)

(intlocat.gif)

(house nw view reduced.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PerchLakeView.jpg (26KB - 29 downloads)
anglerock.jpg (19KB - 24 downloads)
intlocat.gif (0KB - 19 downloads)
house nw view reduced.jpg (24KB - 28 downloads)
2006-08-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: #526642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
hangloose - 2006-08-30 8:00 AM

I'm not sure what the problem is.  Sometimes when I'm out running I fantasize that I'm on a track just outside of London.

I fantasize about totally different things.

But seriously... I actually have a fantasy when I run on a treadmill AND when I run on the road. I imagine the last few miles of the Ironman championships and getting to the finish line. It keeps me going ALL THE TIME! That's my favorite fantasy... about training that is.
2006-08-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: #526680

Extreme Veteran

Birkie runner - that is AWESOME.   And I'm English - we don't use "AWESOME" lightly.

I don't even holiday in places as beautiful as that!!!  It would be a crime not to be a triathlete in that setting.

You currently lead the charts for "place I'm going to wish I was most the next time I swim into a hair ball in my pool".

Enjoy that swim!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where you train... Rss Feed  

of 3